October No-Spend Challenge: Stop That Extra Spending from "Goblin" Up Your Savings - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 96 Old 10-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oct 15:  orngbiggrin.gif  No spend.  And working an extra shift for OT pay!!!  It's hard being away from the nugget at night for 12 hours, but I want to give him a college fund not a cosignature.  And I def don't want to be repaying my student loans still when trying to send him to college.  I just keep telling myself that.   But I think I'm gonna cry (just went back to work last week).  mecry.gif

Oct 16: irked.gif Because I was gone all night, didn't pack DH lunch, so he bought it at work.  Worked from home myself so saved on gas.

Oct 17: orngbiggrin.gif  No spend

Oct 18: orngbiggrin.gif  No spend

Oct 19:  orngbiggrin.gif Budgeted grocery spending

Oct 20: orngbiggrin.gif  No spend

Oct 21: orngbiggrin.gif  No spend

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#62 of 96 Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 PM

thumb.gif true no spend

eyesroll.gif planned spending

Cuss.gif unplanned, bad! spending

love.gif called into UA/DA phone meeting

10/1 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/2 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/3 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/4 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/5 Cuss.gif bought christmas presents that i had not planned on buying right then just because it was convenient (though i guess i could say that i don't have to make another trip), i bought them using savings instead of budgeted gift moneylove.gif

10/6 eyesroll.gif  love.gif

10/7 thumb.gif  love.gif  i also called consumer credit counselling services to set up an appointment to figure out if i either need to file bankruptcy or if they can set up a repayment plan for my 2 credit cards. i have been unable to pay them since last summer.

10/8 Cuss.gif  didn't actually spend but i did forget to renew about 10 library items so my fine will be an additional $2. i also missed any DA or UA meetings because i couldn't find my earpiece for the phone.

10/9 eyesroll.gif love.gif

10/10 don't remember

10/11 don't remember

10/12 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/13 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/14 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/15 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/16 love.gif Cuss.gif$4.75 - bought some school glue and wide-ruled notebooks on clearance sale when we went to the grocery store.

time is getting away from me too fast!

#63 of 96 Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM

thumb.gif true no spend

eyesroll.gif planned spending

Cuss.gif unplanned, bad! spending

love.gif called into UA/DA phone meeting

10/1 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/2 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/3 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/4 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/5 Cuss.gif bought christmas presents that i had not planned on buying right then just because it was convenient (though i guess i could say that i don't have to make another trip), i bought them using savings instead of budgeted gift moneylove.gif

10/6 eyesroll.gif  love.gif

10/7 thumb.gif  love.gif  i also called consumer credit counselling services to set up an appointment to figure out if i either need to file bankruptcy or if they can set up a repayment plan for my 2 credit cards. i have been unable to pay them since last summer.

10/8 Cuss.gif  didn't actually spend but i did forget to renew about 10 library items so my fine will be an additional $2. i also missed any DA or UA meetings because i couldn't find my earpiece for the phone.

10/9 eyesroll.gif love.gif

10/10 don't remember

10/11 don't remember

10/12 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/13 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/14 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/15 thumb.gif  love.gif

10/16 love.gifCuss.gif$4.75 - bought some school glue and wide-ruled notebooks on clearance sale when we went to the grocery store.

10/17 love.gifCuss.gif~$20 - darn you, costco! darn you to heck! i went in to get eggs, blueberries and frozen bananas and came out also with frozen cherries and frozen raspberries.

#64 of 96 Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM

10/15orngbiggrin.gif Was out all Saturday helping DH with a school project.  Since we were in the city we usually do our shopping, I would normally try to get in a few unplanned "errands", but I didn't!  I was good, and we spent nothing other than the gas to get there and back.  Because Nana was babysitting the children still at home, the TV/game systems were used all day.  Oh well, I'm pretty much ignoring power consumption on weekends anyway, except for keeping on top of lights.

10/16orngbiggrin.gif Home all day.

10/17orngbiggrin.gifcandle.gif

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#65 of 96 Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM

I'm a late starter this month, but I've done this before. Here are the basics:

a. Who you are

I'm Diana, mama to 1 rambunctious little boy, and wife to DH.  I'm a full-time WOH mama. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

Right now, we're slowly going broke.  The house has really been nickle-and-diming us (except with some extra zeroes), and we've also needed lots of car repairs.  And now we have medical bills from our recent miscarriage (though thankfully we have good insurance, and I'm covered on both mine and DH's).  We follow Dave Ramsey, and aside from $278.00 on one student loan, we are debt-free.  I want that gone next month.  We also NEED to rebuild our savings/emergency fund, as it's been nearly eaten up by the house and car repairs.  I was also off work for a month post-miscarriage, for recovery from anemia and sort of a mental health vacation.  Because DH and I have both been so stressed and miserable - as well has having our kitchen torn up and unusable from plumbing issues - we've eaten out way more than we should.  We really need to get back on track.

c. How you plan to get there

Right now, the main thing is to not spend any money til payday (21st).  After that, stick to our budget, which I will be working on in the interim.  My overall plan is to eat out once per week, cook double batches so we have lots of leftovers to freeze, take my lunch to work, and pray for no more disasters.  I bought an espresso machine this year, so that's helped me kill my Starbucks habit.  I found it used, and I think it paid for itself within a week or two.  lol.gif

18 - taking lunch to work, lots of leftovers so no need to cook

19 -

20 -

21 - Payday!!!  partytime.gif

22 -

23 -

24 -

25 -

26 -

27 -

28 -

29 -

30 -

31 -

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#66 of 96 Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Diana - I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage.  How heartbreaking, and to have all the added stress of house repairs and car issues.  

#67 of 96 Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 AM

10/18 Sheepish.gif Not sure which face to put on this one.  I have been saving up for a new sewing/embroidery machine and my Gma just gifted me the last $200 I needed for it, so I just ordered it on Amazon!!  Yeah!!  I can't wait to embroider names on my kids stuff so they can stop being confused about whose pants/socks/undies are whose!  I'm tired of seeing 7yo DS's calves sticking out of 5yo DS's pants. LOL  My mom also gave me $100 and my dad $50 towards this machine.  I am so grateful!  Embroidered Christmas gifts for everyone. love.gif

#68 of 96 Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 AM

mylilmonkeys - Thanks  hug2.gif  It's been a really rough year.  Just one thing after another, and our finances have almost completely fallen apart.  It's a really good thing we had more than the DR $1000 in savings, though.  Otherwise we'd really be in trouble.  That's awesome about your new embroidery machine!  And so funny about your kids accidentally wearing each other's clothes...  ROTFLMAO.gif

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#69 of 96 Old 10-18-2011, 04:41 PM

thumb.gif Spent nothing

smile.gif Budgeted spending

2whistle.gif, Unbudgeted spending

Oct. 13th I can't remember....... : (

Oct 14th ?

Oct 15 thumb.gif

Oct 16 thumb.gif

Oct 17 smile.gif Chicken feed and milk

Oct 18ththumb.gif

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#70 of 96 Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 AM

thumb.gif = no-spend day

smile.gif = budgeted spending

irked.gif = not in budget, but necessary

bag.gif = frivolous spending

18 - thumb.gif taking lunch to work, lots of leftovers so no need to cook

19 - thumb.gif taking lunch to work, set out pasta for DH to make for dinner

20 -

22 -

23 -

24 -

25 -

26 -

27 -

28 -

29 -

30 -

31 -

#71 of 96 Old 10-20-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

20 - orngbiggrin.gif Budgeted lunch out at $10.00

19 - orngbiggrin.gif Thanks to a gift card from DH's employer (they're starting another round of lay-offs, so this was their pitiful attempt at distracting employees eyesroll.gif) managed to keep groceries at $120 this week.

18 - whistling.gifUnbudgeted but necessary $80.00 in thrifted maternity clothes for Mama.  (This pregnancy was also, ahem, "unbudgeted."  )redface.gif

17 - orngbiggrin.gif Weekly allotted latte out.

16 - orngbiggrin.gif $25.00 church collection

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#72 of 96 Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM

thumb.gif = no-spend day

18 - thumb.gif taking lunch to work, lots of leftovers so no need to cook

19 - thumb.gif taking lunch to work, set out pasta for DH to make for dinner

20 - thumb.gif didn't take lunch to work, but got free food from a co-worker, made crockpot dinner for DH

22 -

23 -

24 -

25 -

26 -

27 -

28 -

29 -

30 -

31 -

#73 of 96 Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 AM

orngbiggrin.gif: budgeted/no spend

irked.gif: Impulse spending

greensad.gif: unexpected legitimate spending

candle.gif: energy consumption

10/19orngbiggrin.gifcandle.gif Ordered my water kefir grains - budgeted.  

10/20orngbiggrin.gifcandle.gifFinally needed to turn the heat on.  Getting to this point in October here is a feat.  I was going to try to keep the heat low and just use the space heater for the room we were occupying, but I realized that being cold makes me cranky and not feel like doing anything.  I don't like snapping at the kids, and I really need to be as on top of housework as possible, so it is worth turning the furnace up higher.  I'll continue working on lights and TV/entertainment usage.

#74 of 96 Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 PM

I'm so proud of myself for not spending any money this week!  We took out cash for our grocery and out-to-eat spending, and I'm going to stick to my budgeted amounts to see what impact it has on our pantry.  I've gotten good about shopping the sales and stocking up when prices are really low, so I'm hoping it will all balance out on a monthly basis.  Barring any catastrophes, we should be able to save $800 this month, which will give us our emergency fund back. 

thumb.gif = no-spend day

18 - thumb.gif took lunch to work, lots of leftovers so no need to cook

19 - thumb.gif took lunch to work, set out pasta for DH to make for dinner

20 - thumb.gif didn't take lunch to work, but got free food from a co-worker, made crockpot dinner for DH

21 - thumb.gif took lunch to work, and it's payday!!!  partytime.gif

22 - smile.gif going to farmer's market to buy produce, planned next week's meals

23 -

24 -

25 -

26 -

27 -

28 -

29 -

30 -

31 -

#75 of 96 Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 AM

thumb.gif = no-spend day

22 - smile.gif going to farmer's market to buy produce ($35 including vacuum bags), planned next week's meals, $4 at Taco Bell (ran out of time to eat), took lunch

23 - thumb.gif projected. Taking lunch to work, lots of leftovers for DH and DS.

24 -

25 -

26 -

27 -

28 -

29 -

30 -

31 -

#76 of 96 Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Did I scare everyone away?  Where did you all go??  confused.gif

Yesterday didn't go quite as planned, as I ended up getting busy at home and didn't have time for breakfast.  So I stopped at McDonald's for a salad.  Hmpf.  Took the money out of our "eating out/entertainment" category.  Today will be my first cash-only grocery shopping trip.  There aren't any great sales at any stores that I shop, so we should be just getting the necessities and eating from the pantry.

thumb.gif = no-spend day

22 - smile.gif going to farmer's market to buy produce ($35 including vacuum bags), planned next week's meals, $4 at Taco Bell (ran out of time to eat), took lunch

23 - smile.gif breakfast out. Taking lunch to work, lots of leftovers for DH and DS.

24 -

25 -

26 -

27 -

28 -

29 -

30 -

31 -

#77 of 96 Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 AM

10/21 orngbiggrin.gifcandle.gif Boys left lights on and got fined.  

10/22 orngbiggrin.gif

10/23 orngbiggrin.gif Ugh, woke up this AM and dh had forgotten to switch off the power strip.  

#78 of 96 Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Hi Diana... I just usually edit my old post :)  I guess that doesn't help build a sense of community, though... so here we go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkaJones View Post

Oct 15:  orngbiggrin.gif  No spend.  And working an extra shift for OT pay!!!  It's hard being away from the nugget at night for 12 hours, but I want to give him a college fund not a cosignature.  And I def don't want to be repaying my student loans still when trying to send him to college.  I just keep telling myself that.   But I think I'm gonna cry (just went back to work last week).  mecry.gif

Oct 16: irked.gif Because I was gone all night, didn't pack DH lunch, so he bought it at work.  Worked from home myself so saved on gas.

Oct 17: orngbiggrin.gif  No spend

Oct 18: orngbiggrin.gif  No spend

Oct 19:  orngbiggrin.gif Budgeted grocery spending

Oct 20: orngbiggrin.gif  No spend

Oct 21: orngbiggrin.gif  No spend

Oct 22:   irked.gifUnbudgeted winter clothes for DS.  He will need them eventually, but I budgeted them for next month.

Oct 23: :   irked.gif I have a cold and things are kinda falling apart on the meal planning/cooking front.  I forgot to pull the chicken out of the freezer.  DH saved he day by making a cheap pasta dish, but he had to go out and shop for it.  Got an unbudgeted grow light because I couldn't watch my indoor container garden die any longer.

Oct 24:  orngbiggrin.gif  No spend

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#79 of 96 Old 10-24-2011, 12:58 PM

How much did you spend on your grow light?  We can't grow anything in this house because of the poor light.  It'd be nice if we could get something past the seedling stage!

#80 of 96 Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm going to try to join you guys next month. smile.gif

#81 of 96 Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Hello hello! I haven't done one of these in many moons!! Things are extra tight at the moment and I joined an old friend in a ten day challenge that started last week so that's why I am here late. I'm a single mom just barely paying rent and bills, especially daycare, it costs almost as much as my rent for just three days a week!!

Since I started, I've spent 67 bucks! I was good the first couple days, and then what a weekend! :/

#82 of 96 Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

thumb.gif Spent nothing

smile.gif Budgeted spending

2whistle.gif, Unbudgeted spending

Oct. 13th I can't remember....... : (

Oct 14th ?

Oct 15 thumb.gif

Oct 16 thumb.gif

Oct 17 smile.gif Chicken feed and milk

Oct 18ththumb.gif

19  2whistle.gif halloween costume and some dolls for the girls

20 smile.gif Paid bills

21 thumb.gif

22 thumb.gif

23 thumb.gif

24 smile.gif groceries and dog food

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#83 of 96 Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM

The grow light cost a little over $10 at Walmart.  Here's the link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-24-Fluorescent-Grow-Light-Fixture/16879945.  I just hung it up in the back of a shelf that is open to a window and plan on turning it on when we're in bed (the color and intensity of the light are a little trying on the eyes).  That way the plants will get sunlight when it actually manages to hit the window (Northern exposure greensad.gif ).  Anyway, they're already starting to perk up a bit (or maybe it's just my wishful thinking).  Of course, this means I need to get more plants... right now I just grow basil and thyme because we use it so much in our cooking.  Maybe some rosemary and tomatoes?  We'll see what we can get from friends.

Anka

#84 of 96 Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks!  I've been wanting to grow herbs, too, but really can't grow anything.  Our south facing windows have enormous trees right outside.

#85 of 96 Old 10-25-2011, 06:14 PM

10/24: orngbiggrin.gifcandle.gif

10/25: orngbiggrin.gifcandle.gif Thought about y'all a lot today!  I had to drive my daughter an hour away to do standardized testing all day.  I wandered around Burlington Coat Factory and Target.  I wanted to buy my twins new snow suits.  I wanted to buy towels for my nieces and nephews' Christmas presents.  But I haven't budgeted for those things yet.  And so, I scrounged some change out of the ashtray and bought my daughter a bag of chips from the vending machine because she was a really good little girl with nothing to do all day.  Technically not no spend, but it wasn't out of our budget, either.

And my new machine arrived today!  I think I'll have to spend tomorrow straightening up my bedroom/sewing area so I can find a place to put it. Sheepish.gif

#86 of 96 Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 AM

10/25: No spend

10/26: No spend.  Indoor herb garden looking much better now that we have light!

10/27 Budgeted DH going out with work friends.

#87 of 96 Old 10-28-2011, 04:04 PM

I love how I griped about nobody being here, and then I fell off the face of the earth.  blush.gif  But DS was sick, then I got it, so it's been a rough few days at our house.  But on a spending front, that really helped, since we weren't able to go out.  Slight silver lining, I suppose...

thumb.gif = no-spend day

23 - smile.gif breakfast out. Taking lunch to work, lots of leftovers for DH and DS.

24 - smile.gif grocery shopping.  Paid cash.  I also bought a $3 rooster and $30 bag of chicken feed.  The feed was in the budget, but not the rooster. Leftovers!

25 - thumb.gif made lasagna and pot of chicken noodle soup

26 - thumb.gif  Mom came over for dinner, and we all polished off the leftovers.

27 - smile.gif  DH went to the store for odds and ends, $30 cash out of groceries

28 - smile.gif  DH and DS went to lunch with MIL, I pitched in $3 for a co-worker to bring in stuffed cabbage and mashed potatoes for lunch.  Mmm!  Out of food at home... Need to cook!

29 -

30 -

31 -

#88 of 96 Old 10-28-2011, 05:49 PM

MLM, hows the machine?

#89 of 96 Old 10-29-2011, 03:05 PM

thumb.gif = no-spend day

24 - smile.gif grocery shopping.  Paid cash.  I also bought a $3 rooster and $30 bag of chicken feed.  The feed was in the budget, but not the rooster. Leftovers!

25 - thumb.gif made lasagna and pot of chicken noodle soup

26 - thumb.gif  Mom came over for dinner, and we all polished off the leftovers.

27 - smile.gif  DH went to the store for odds and ends, $30 cash out of groceries

28 - smile.gif  DH and DS went to lunch with MIL, I pitched in $3 for a co-worker to bring in stuffed cabbage and mashed potatoes for lunch.  Mmm!  Out of food at home... Need to cook!

29 - thumb.gif

30 -

31 -

#90 of 96 Old 10-29-2011, 08:15 PM

10/28: no spend

10/29: DH had to get a part for work... will eventually be reimbursed, but right now it's a bit of a cashflow problem.  On a happier note, my insurance company appeal for my maternity care went through and we'll be getting a big chunk of change back!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page