October No-Spend Challenge: Stop That Extra Spending from "Goblin" Up Your Savings - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 96 Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anka - That's cool that your appeal went in your favor.  We've called our (former) insurance company about some huge over-charges (billed $1600 for a $125 brace), and they were like, "Ummm, yeah.  So?"  I'm so glad you had better luck.

thumb.gif = no-spend day

smile.gif = budgeted spending

irked.gif = not in budget, but necessary

bag.gif = frivolous spending

18 - thumb.gif took lunch to work, lots of leftovers so no need to cook

19 - thumb.gif took lunch to work, set out pasta for DH to make for dinner

20 - thumb.gif didn't take lunch to work, but got free food from a co-worker, made crockpot dinner for DH

21 - thumb.gif took lunch to work, and it's payday!!!  partytime.gif

22 - smile.gif going to farmer's market to buy produce ($35 including vacuum bags), planned next week's meals, $4 at Taco Bell (ran out of time to eat), took lunch

23 - smile.gif breakfast out. Taking lunch to work, lots of leftovers for DH and DS.

24 - smile.gif grocery shopping.  Paid cash.  I also bought a $3 rooster and $30 bag of chicken feed.  The feed was in the budget, but not the rooster. Leftovers!

25 - thumb.gif made lasagna and pot of chicken noodle soup

26 - thumb.gif  Mom came over for dinner, and we all polished off the leftovers.

27 - smile.gif  DH went to the store for odds and ends, $30 cash out of groceries

28 - smile.gif  DH and DS went to lunch with MIL, I pitched in $3 for a co-worker to bring in stuffed cabbage and mashed potatoes for lunch.  Mmm!  Out of food at home... Need to cook!

29 - thumb.gif

30 - thumb.gif Made a big pot of chicken and wild rice soup

31 -

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#92 of 96 Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 AM

Ugh, that sucks!  Talking to the insurance company was pretty kafka-esque.  I basically stumbled on the right technical phrase while in the most circular discussion of my life with the customer service representative ("So, it should be covered at this amount."  "I can't pull up your benefit schedule for some reason." "Oh, so I'm looking at it and it's covered at this amount." "Well, it seems like they thought you should be charged X." "Yes, but why?" "Well, I'm not sure."  except it went on for about a half hour.)  Finally I said, "Well, I'd like to appeal this."  Suddenly he totally switched course, got a bit curt, but things started happening.  And it turns out in my state there's also an external state reviewer, so if their appeal settlement didn't make sense I could have re-appealed and asked for an external reviewer.   It's really amazing what the insurance people are allowed to get away with.  I mean, in what other industry is their telling you ahead of time that something is covered non-binding?  And the thing is, they really had no idea (even after I won the appeal) where the number they originally came up with came from.  I wonder how many people they did that to didn't stumble on the magic phrase and wound up paying out the nose?

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#93 of 96 Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Well, poo!

I was looking forward to DH getting some overtime this month, cuz we could use the extra. Now I'm getting garnished almost $400/mo for a medical bill cuz the jerks wouldn't take a check for a partial payment... censored.gif Cuss.gif

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#94 of 96 Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Wolfcat, that's horrible!  That sort of bullying by the healthcare industry makes me so mad (I'm a healthcare professional... it's personal, you know?).

To round out the month:

10/29 Budgeted groceries.  Now that our pantry is stocked, we're doing a lot better saving money even when we aren't trying to "cook frugal".

10/30 No spend.

10/31 No spend.  Picked up OT night shift.

Overall, I'm really proud of our family's first budgeted month!  We fell of the horse a few times, but I think in large part to you ladies we got back on and kept going.  Thanks everyone for this thread,.  It was really important to me.

Hugs,

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#95 of 96 Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkaJones View Post

MLM, hows the machine?

Took forever to find time to use it.  My kids had two days off school last week, and with Halloween, so much busyness!  But I think it is smarter than I am.  I'm really loving it!  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#96 of 96 Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 PM

10/28 Payday.  Fell off the horse a little bit at the end here.  We took the kids out to dinner on Friday before ds's football game.  His team made the second round of the playoffs and the game was 1.5hr away.  DH has been the official team videographer, so he had to be there, and I wasn't comfortable leaving the kids home with 12 yo dd babysitting and us so far away.  Also, the tickets to the game cost twice as much as a season game, which I didn't know.  $60

10/29 Needed a few sewing notions. $8

10/30 DH spent all day working on school projects (he's in Media Technology), photographing, videotaping, the kids for various assignments.  It was too late to cook by the time he was done, so I bought the kids McDs and Dh and I ate later.  $20

UGH, I hate weekends like that.  Rough on the pocket book.  But the kids had a great time, and followed up with Halloween.  My 12 yo dd and two of her friends took the kids around and I stayed in with the babies.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page