Dumpster Diving - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So the other day I got bored after work.

On the way home I saw a local business and got a little curious, so I took my first dive. I didn't jump in, haven't gotten that far yet, but I stood by the door to the dumpster and just started tearing bags open seeing what I could find. There was a lot of wasted food, I was very very upset with how much this location actually wasted in a day. I didn't eat anything because... well lets just say if I was going to go looking for food I would do it elsewhere... I wasn't looking for anything in particular as I said I was just very curious. This sparked my curiousity even more... so I searched around (Honestly looking for local laws) and came across this board. I am a member and I plan sticking around....

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could go or check out if I wanted to just stop waste? I mean someone I know got electronic equipment (NEW) once and it kind of upsets me how much people in the world waste. I wouldn't mind getting some stuff while I am at it... but I got a few coupons out of the dumpster I checked and gave some away because I really didn't want them... I can guarantee the people I gave them to appreciated them more than I would of. 

So here are my questions as a new comer :-)

1. Can anyone forward me to something so I can check the local laws in my State? (South Carolina)

2. What are some good places to check out? Off the top of my head I am thinking: Staples, Office Depot, Books-A-Million, Wal-Mart(Probably locked?), K-Mart, Best Buy, and Bi-Lo.

3. Any tips? :-)

4. How is everyone doing this wonderful Monday?

Thanks in advance and I am kind of excited about getting into this... oddly enough because I consider myself to be somewhat of a germ-a-phob... I hate washing dishes in the sink for crying out loud.... but I was digging through those bags and having a blast... I got pretty darn dirty too...

#2 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 AM

Pretty much all the stores you mentioned are big box stores and most big box stores have trash compactors that are extremely dangerous to jump in, fyi. College dumpsters around May are the best place to get electronics because a lot of the kids will throw stuff away if it doesnt fit in their car or if they dont plan on using it the next year.

Dumpster diving is typically illegal, but most local stores arent going to prosecute you. Look around, see if there is a camera pointed at the dumpster.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I knew someone once who only ate what he got out of dumpsters. Extreme for me. Some grocery stores donate surplus/less than perfect food to the local food bank. Maybe you could facilitate that happening in your town.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 5 Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've always wanted to try it. I don't know what the legality of it is here in NZ, though, and I've never been in the vicinity of a dumpster when it was on my mind - you know? I did once ring our local supermarket to ask what they did with their food waste, but they said it was all locked up, and couldn't be donated for legal reasons.

If you google "freeganism" you should find some great resources - I've read many a thread on dumpster diving in various places. Some people have found brand-new designer clothes with the tags still on... all sorts of stuff.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#5 of 5 Old 10-05-2011, 04:47 AM

My friends dumpster dive frequently to all the factories in the big city over. Last trip they came out with 40 lbs of organic bacon (cut wrong so it wouldn't fit in the package, 2 giant bags of chocolates, 10 bottles of org balsamic vinegar, and 1 day expired sealed tofu. They even go as far as if they dumpster is emptied already, they knock on the factories back doors and ask if they are throwing anything out.

I don't actually dumpster dive, but I do find loads of treasures at the local dump. Great quality clothes and shoes, gorgeous baskets, books, furniture, dishes, fabric, and most recent, a brand new expensive juicer that I sold and made $40 bucks cash on craigslist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page