Consign or Ebay for selling high-quality used clothing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have some high-end children's and baby clothing that I would like to sell, and I can't figure out if ebay or consigning is the best option. I like ebay because I can do it all myself, but I hate shipping things and going to the post office. Consignment stores sometimes seem like they don't pay well, but we have several children's shops around me. I just don't know what to do--these are pricey brands like Petit Bateau, Le Top, Oilily, Miniman, Marcel et Leon (I guess they are all French!) There will be inconvenience either way, and I'm prepared to deal with that. Anyway, input would be nice.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#2 of 11 Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM

I would start with consignment.  Even better if you can go straight to a resale shop who will pay you cash.  Then there is not waiting.  What they don't take I would sell in bigger lots on ebay.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 11 Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I disagree. I would either sell them on EBAY or possibly a children's resale group on Facebook (which I've done quite often.) We've got really great local resale stores but you aren't going to get more than a few dollars, even for good names. You could also use a EBAY trading assistant who may end up helping you get almost as much as you would doing it yourself (with much less work.)

#4 of 11 Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

I disagree. I would either sell them on EBAY or possibly a children's resale group on Facebook (which I've done quite often.) We've got really great local resale stores but you aren't going to get more than a few dollars, even for good names. You could also use a EBAY trading assistant who may end up helping you get almost as much as you would doing it yourself (with much less work.)

I've noticed that the consignment shops offer just 50% at the most, and that they sell things pretty low, which is why I'm interested in ebay. But I don't know about Facebook children's resale groups--I will need to look that up--any leads? Also, not sure what a trading assistant is--could you elaborate? Thanks for the responses!

#5 of 11 Old 10-09-2011, 06:07 PM

I have had a lot of luck with ebay...but only for brands that people know of to search for.  So my luck has been with Gymboree and Mini Boden.  I would plug your brands into ebay and search to see if people are bidding on those brands.  Make sure you are selling in season.  Consignment stores are a total ripoff.  I would look for special websites to sell high end kids clothes before I dropped them off at a consignment store.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#6 of 11 Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 PM

I'd take them first to the consignment shop, and whatever doesn't sell, list on ebay :)! I've found in my experiences that I make more money off of ebay than I do from consignment shops however. And all my kids clothes are the brand names, they are just rip-offs most of the time, but whatever you can sell easily never hurts!

Also, may I suggest ThreadUp?

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#7 of 11 Old 10-17-2011, 07:35 AM

I had horrible luck with used kids clothing shops, the prices offered to me were a complete joke (like $2 for a current year, never worn LLBean toddlers snow suit) yet a close friend of mine gets good prices for her kids "junky" clothing that she deems not good enough to keep around for the next kid.

I have purchased a far amount from Ebay over the years and I always searched for specific brands.  I agree that listing, packing, and mail is a pain in the butt.  I have nearly new Keens and other "good" brands in a give-away pile right now because I just don't have the patience to sell the stuff.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#8 of 11 Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

I went for ebay, and I made a lot (a lot!) more money than I would have consigning. It was a pain to ship, but worth it. I'll definitely do it again after this baby is born and outgrows some of the clothes.

carmel23 likes this.

#9 of 11 Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

I went for ebay, and I made a lot (a lot!) more money than I would have consigning. It was a pain to ship, but worth it. I'll definitely do it again after this baby is born and outgrows some of the clothes.

Even though I hate to ship stuff, too, Ebay is usually good to me, too.  I think weighing the stuff and printing labels from home or using the prepaid mailers (priority) makes it easier.  :)

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#10 of 11 Old 10-17-2011, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Another vote for Thredup here too - if you list in needed sizes you can even get credits to pay for future boxes. That's what I'm doing with all my kid's outgrown stuff, as the resale shops here don't give you anything unless it still has the tags still on brand new. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#11 of 11 Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 PM

I've tried thredup and have tons of boxes owed me, but have trouble finding stuff that we need.  I think part of the problem in that my kids can't wear character shirts to school, even though it is a public school (charter).  And there are always character stuff in the boxes.... but it is great for my little one!  I've gotten really good stuff for him. 

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page