what caused my electric bill to double this month? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I was anticipating that it was going to go down at least a bit because I returned the cable box.  Instead it doubled.  I did need to start using some heat and the furnace uses some electricity to start.  But still, that was only for a week or so of the month. And I was actually home much less in Sept. so I should be using less lights, etc.

The only other thing I can think of was that I switched to Vonage phone and so needed to plug in their little box.  Could it really be using that much electricity??

The bill went from $39 to $85.  That is crazy!

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yikes, that's a really big jump!  I hope you find some answers soon. 

However, I do envy your electric bill. 

#3 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

That month could've been a 'catch up' month where the company actually came to read your meter vs guessing what the reading should be.  

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

first off - have you checked to make sure the meter reading was correct? If it's way off call the company and have it corrected - mistakes happen. 

if that's not the problem, and next month you get another high bill I'd recommend buying or borrowing a Kill A Watt, to see if it is the Vonage box or something else drawing that much power. A lot of public libraries lend them out for free. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#5 of 7 Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

call your electric company.  Did they raise their rates?  are you on a budget plan.  that box does not use enough energy to make a noticable difference on your bill.  our company will come out and do an audit to see what is sucking energy.  also they may have read the meter or read it wrong.  they will also be able to ask you questions to help you determine if more has changed than you think.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When mine went up one winter it turned out to be a sump pump in the septic that disconnected a hose and was running 24/7 instead of on and off. I found it by turning off/on things on my electric box.

Momsteader likes this.
#7 of 7 Old 10-14-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thank you for all the suggestions.  The electric company says it was a case of several estimated readings in a row.  Hopefully it will settle back down.  My regular electric is probably something like $50.  Not so bad, I guess. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page