Inexpensive NEW clothing for kids & mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One more question for today: Where are some good places (online or otherwise) to buy cheap NEW clothes? Durability doesn't matter so much to me, as we rewear things that don't get dirty or smelly, especially in the cooler weather.

(No thrifting suggestions, please. I am *personally* morally opposed to thrift shopping at our income level. I don't judge others, but I'm not going to be thrift shopping myself.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but I love hitting the sales racks at BabiesRUs.  They usually have seasonal stuff marked as buy one get one free.  I got a couple of "church" shirts for my little one for about $2 each.

#3 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Awww, my kids have sadly outgrown Babies R Us now greensad.gif They are 4, almost 6, and almost 10. I have one in 5T, one in girls' size 4/5 and one in boys' size 8.
#4 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Maybe try some consignment sales at nearby churches or something?  A lot of the time people sell stuff with tags still attached!

lucifugous likes this.
#5 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM

I've had good luck at places like Ross and Burlington Coat Factory when I buy new.  I never buy anything that isn't on clearance, regardless of the store, and have been amazed by some of my off-season finds for new.  I used to live near a Dillard's clearance center which was an awesome store.  I mostly do buy used, but yeah.  Kohls and Macys sometimes have good coupons that can be used with clearance as well.  I find that 'discount' stores like Kmart, Target, etc. tend to be more expensive than department stores if you really pay attention and aren't afraid of messier racks.

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#6 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Burlington! I always forget about that place. I found $7 Carter's shoes there last time I went. It's not far from me at all, I really should start going there. Thanks for the suggestions smile.gif
#7 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM

[quote](No thrifting suggestions, please. I am *personally* morally opposed to thrift shopping at our income level. I don't judge others, but I'm not going to be thrift shopping myself.)[/quote]

Can you explain more about your moral objections?  (I'm not being snarky here at all, I've just never heard of anyone objecting to thrift shop purchasing before on a moral level.  I'm curious!)

Momsteader and lucifugous like this.
#8 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 03:53 PM

clearance racks of local stores and target has online clearance sections too.   Sears has really good rare clearance sales,   coats in December,   shoes in june etc :)   Summer clothes in Aug.   You often need to plan a couple seasons ahead to take advantage though

#9 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Old Navy for that age kiddo and even you.  They really discount their off season stuff and I have gotten winter coats for $2 if you hit the right day.

becoming and lucifugous like this.
#10 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post

[quote](No thrifting suggestions, please. I am *personally* morally opposed to thrift shopping at our income level. I don't judge others, but I'm not going to be thrift shopping myself.)[/quote]

Can you explain more about your moral objections?  (I'm not being snarky here at all, I've just never heard of anyone objecting to thrift shop purchasing before on a moral level.  I'm curious!)

I just feel like places like Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., should be left for people who actually CAN'T afford normally-priced clothes. We have a six-figure income, so I don't feel good about taking those clothes away from people who truly need them. Again, I don't project my feelings about this on other people, but I personally won't do it.
#11 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 PM

I shop the sales at Gymboree and always find tops and pants for under $10/each, and the quality is usually great.  Carters/Osh Kosh has some good deals as well.

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#12 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Do you have a Hanna Andersson outlet near you?  I find many items for $5 - $10.  (Most items in the store are under $20.) 

If you do not have one near you, they take phone orders and ship...but I do not know how much they charge to ship.

eta...some items are made for the outlets and are of lesser quality.  You can tell the difference when you are shopping or if you are ordering via phone you can ask for specific catalog items. 

#13 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 PM

That is a great tip!  I didn't know they shipped from outlets!  How do you know what to ask for though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

Do you have a Hanna Anderson outlet near you?  I find many items for $5 - $10.  (Most items in the store are under $20.)

If you do not have one near you, they take phone orders and ship...but I do not know how much they charge to ship.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#14 of 32 Old 10-05-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower.mama View Post

That is a great tip!  I didn't know they shipped from outlets!  How do you know what to ask for though?

Well...when I am in the store I hear the sales people on the phone - a lot.  When I've chatted with the sales clerks about it, they said some people call requesting specific items and others say 'put together 6 dresses in size 130', 'or send a mix of pj patterns in size 110', etc.  I've also heard them describing outfits over the phone, which sounds a bit tedious.

I've ordered over the phone and had them hold it for me in the store; but I've always known exactly what I wanted.  Usually it is something I saw in the store and then decided to buy after I got home.  They sort of joke that they expect a call from me within a day of my leaving the store!

#15 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post

I just feel like places like Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., should be left for people who actually CAN'T afford normally-priced clothes. We have a six-figure income, so I don't feel good about taking those clothes away from people who truly need them. Again, I don't project my feelings about this on other people, but I personally won't do it.

I think that the proceeds of the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores go to the charity, so the poor do benefit if you buy there.

Momsteader likes this.
#16 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post

I think that the proceeds of the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores go to the charity, so the poor do benefit if you buy there. 

I see the OP's point, and there's a lot of red tape between the dollar you spend and the charity received on the other end of things. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#17 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

lots of stores have a good clearance stuff.  When I can't wait for a clearance sale my first stops are target and old navy.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#18 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post

I have an income like that and I love to buy used clothing. It means my dollars aren't going to sweatshops overseas but to my own community.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2465/is_5_31/ai_76285458/

Momsteader, lucifugous and swede like this.
#19 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 06:04 PM

My husband actually initially had the same impression as the OP -- that the service performed by thrift stores was providing clothes to poor people.  Actually, they're the fundraiser.  So, it's like going to a benefit dinner, only more useful for us.  And I agree with Philomom about avoiding the negative social impact of the clothing industry, especially at the lower-cost end of the spectrum.  All of that said, if you want to avoid new clothes for social/environmental reasons and you don't want to go to a thrift store, consignment shops are a nice middle of the road option.

Anka

Momsteader likes this.

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#20 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Agreed! Use a local thrift store rather than a big behemoth like Goodwill and even more stays local and benefits the poor in your community.

As far as online, I've seen lots of folks posting on FB recently about deals they've gotten at zulily (?) an online clearance type store. There are ads here at mothernig sometimes in the sidebar.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#21 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 PM

I love Once Upon a Child for my son's clothing. It is used clothing, but the ones near us are name brand, like new stuff. I often find items with the tags still on it. It benefits local families, by allowing people to sell their kid's stuff back for cash or store credit. It's so packed with clothing, there's no way you are "stealing" anything from anyone else. The more you buy, the more they can buy from others to re-stock.

For never been owned clothing, I like Old Navy and Gap for both my son and I. They have decent sales, but not typically what I'd consider cheap. I tend to buy a couple of pairs of cotton pants and cotton shirts at Baby Gap at around 2 for $20, every season. The quality and style is always great and I use the new stuff to supplement the second hand majority of his wardrobe. We also do Kohls brand Jumping Beans. Its cheap on sale, lower quality than Baby Gap, but still reasonable.

Mom to one happy Senorcito (06/09) ... allergic to wheat, nuts, dairy, eggs, sesame, peas and soy.

#22 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkaJones View Post

My husband actually initially had the same impression as the OP -- that the service performed by thrift stores was providing clothes to poor people.  Actually, they're the fundraiser.  So, it's like going to a benefit dinner, only more useful for us.  And I agree with Philomom about avoiding the negative social impact of the clothing industry, especially at the lower-cost end of the spectrum.  All of that said, if you want to avoid new clothes for social/environmental reasons and you don't want to go to a thrift store, consignment shops are a nice middle of the road option.

Anka

Also, around here, it's not as if there isn't enough thrifted clothing to go around.  Places like Goodwill and savers are overflowing where I live.

#23 of 32 Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 PM

but to answer the ops original question.  I have found good stuff at crazy8.com - they are gymboree's old navy, if that makes sense.  Also, places like LL Bean's online clearance.  ANd gap.com clearance.  But ll bean has a lifetime guarantee and ships free all the time.  I also like Lands end for new stuff.  It really does last.

#24 of 32 Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If  you don't mind online shopping, check out Land's End clearance section.  Lots of very reasonably priced new items, and their quality is very good.  Oh I just noticed you said quality doesn't matter.  Well you have 3 kids and surely clothes that are good enough for hand-me-downs are worth considering? :) Plus when you donate them they'd still be in good conditions.  Without generous people donating good quality used clothes, where can those low income people shopping at thrift stores get good stuff?

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#25 of 32 Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Children's Place has sales about once per year where I find tops and pants for $1.50 each!  Both boys got a fall jacket at that sale last year.  I can also find great deals at Gymboree when I combine their sale racks with 20% and 30% off coupons.  I often spend under $5 per item there and I'm able to hand down DS1's clothes to DS2 because their quality is better than average.  I justify spending a bit more on myself than that and I often shop the sale racks at Loft and Banana Republic.  I've gotten $90 pants/dress jackets/skirts/etc. for under $10 at each store!  Most of my clothes cost about $15/item.  I know you said quality doesn't matter, but I have some things from each of these stores that have gotten regular use for 10 years now!  For me, it's worth a bit of an initial investment so that I don't need to replace an item every couple years.  For DH, he needs a dressier wardrobe for work and can get great deals on button-down dress shirts at Dillard's and Belk (regional department stores).  Most of his dress shirts cost $10-$15 and ties are usually under $12.  Dress pants are a bit more difficult for him to find a deal on, but he can often find some at both those stores for under $25. 

My view on thrift shopping when I can afford new is that it is sometimes a place where I am able to cut back so that I'm able to splurge more on other areas, like travel, and nice locally made furniture.  However, I often skip the thrift stores because I'm able to find great deals at the stores I mentioned above. 

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#26 of 32 Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Dar

I don't know about kids' clothes, but Urban Outfitters currently is running their huge fall sale and I've gotten a lot of great stuff for me for under $10 - most for $5 a piece. I also have good luck at Gap, because they run these random 40% or 50% off everything sales that include clearance stuff, so again it's under $10 a piece, and sometimes just a buck or two.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#27 of 32 Old 10-08-2011, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic-momma View Post

I shop the sales at Gymboree and always find tops and pants for under $10/each, and the quality is usually great.  Carters/Osh Kosh has some good deals as well.

I get most of the kids clothes at Gymboree, Crazy 8 (my new love,) and Baby GAP/GAP Kids.) Those stores have good sales which can often be combined with coupons, And if you are willing to shop off-season, you can get Gymboree really, really, cheap (at their Red Balloon Sale.

#28 of 32 Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Honestly, I feel carters it the best bang for your buck (especially with babies that will outgrow more than once a season). And to save money; we buy very few outfits and do laundry often. (For my son) For my daughter, we buy absolutely nothing, and somehow are still up to our ears in clothes.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#29 of 32 Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 PM

my favorite place to hit the clearance rack is sears... they always have stuff, and it always seems to ring up for even less than it is priced, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#30 of 32 Old 10-23-2011, 09:31 AM

If you sign up to receive e-mails from your favorite stores you will often receive some sort of discount, say 15-20% off of an initial purchase, on line.  Gap is constantly having 30-40% off sales, on line only.  I can only imagine that other stores do this as well.  It beats going to the mall, using gas, time, etc.

FWIW, our local thrift stores have gotten pricey enough that it almost feels like mainstream shopping.  And, my dd and her teen friends shop a lot of consignment because it's the "in" thing to do if you are in to recyling, funky styles--all of that.  Kids can be very, very savvy about how far their dollar goes.  We always hit the consignment store before the mall in our trips.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page