Need helo please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No better time than the present, right? So, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but what are good credit repair agencies, websites, forums? I've heard mixed things about credit counseling places so idk if that is something I should look into. The reason I'm asking is because it is becoming ever more apparent that DP and I need to get our big girl panties on and start being adults. Her credit is slightly better than mine is so I was thinking we should start repairing hers since it would give us better results sooner. Currently we can't even get approved for a department store card. Naturally this stings because we are wanting to eventually buy a house and we will soon need a new car. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want to get current on bills, start repairing our credit and get a savings going. Its so overwhelming though, I don't know where to start. Help!?

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

#2 of 4 Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I found Dave Ramsey's baby steps REALLY helpful. And if you dig around enough on the internet (message boards,etc), you'll realize that you don't really need an agency...you can do it yourself.  You just need to know HOW.  Which is why DR was helpful to me.  It's all laid out and it's a pretty clear path.  There is a Dave Ramsey support thread on here that does a great job of outlining the basic principles...I've actually never read his book (Total Money Makeover) - just read enough online about getting finances in order to realize that his way makes a lot of sense to me (religious stuff aside).  There are other financial gurus too, but his methods seem most straight forward and the least intimidating. Hope that helps a little!

What you'll hear over and over again is that the first step is to lay out all your bills and outstanding debts and see where you are.  Sounds overwhelming and scary, but like you said, time to grow up and face it :). You'll also need to come up with  budget so that you can see where your money is going.  This usually entails going through past bank statements/receipts or tracking expenses for awhile. Once you are current on your bills you get to attack your credit cards/loans/etc. It's all systematic and it WORKS.  We've paid off over $40k on a less than stellar salary and dh's very rocky last couple of years of employment.  It can be done!!!

#3 of 4 Old 10-18-2011, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

creditboards.com  or creditboards.org   not sure which one it is but get yer panties over there and read, read READ....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 4 Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I second that.  Great boards.  But a little overwhelmingredface.gif. I like the spoon fed approach.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page