What temperature to heat house at for fuel savings? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks for the links with advice about thermostat savings. I knew that dropping the temp when no one's home is good, but wasn't sure about the amount/duration to make the most impact.

We turned on our heat a week or so ago, and this year we're aiming to keep the house between 63-72, dependent on the hours when someone is home or in the 50s if no one is home for a few days. DH and I both shiver even at 72, so it took some efforts to convince him to let it be that low, even though I have to wear two layers from neck to toe and cuddle under blankets too. I must admit I steam a little hearing the furnace kick in at 5am when no one gets out of bed until 7:30, but I haven't figured out how to reprogram the thermostat since DH usually does that. We just got a new furnace so hopefully there won't be any $300+ energy bills this year. We have a 95 year old 2-story house with original windows and a few newer storms, and just upgraded to a 96% efficiency natural gas furnace from a 30-some year old not efficient unit, in a region that stays (well) below 0*F for weeks at a time (let's just say the locals often wear shorts--outside--when temps get back to +10F because it's so warm, and the water lines from the city to our house freeze, prompting the city to send letters asking us to keep a faucet on 24/7). Cold. I really want to deal with blankets and slippers and dial down the temp a little further, but DH is a tougher egg to crack. If money (and the environment) were no object, I'd keep the house at 76 always. Maybe I should buy DH some manly slippers for Christmas...

fairy.gif (DSD 10yo) angel2.gif (29wks - 2/2012) babygirl.gifrainbow1284.gif (1/2013)

#32 of 35 Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Glad I"m not the only one that is cold at 68.  At night, we keep it at 58 and during day 68, but if it's a gray cold day, I turn it up to 70.  I HATE the cold.   I walk around my house with a wool hat on.  Seriously. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for super warm sweats??  I really don't like the look of fleece sweat pants.  I see so many brands and it's hard to choose.  Under armor really that much warmer??  I wish I could move somewhere warm, but no way. 

Our heating bill is very high.  For last two years, went way up bc of taxes and govt regulation.  I cannot believe it.  This is killing my very tight budget. 

#33 of 35 Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've been trying to keep it at 65 degrees all the time. As it gets colder, certain parts of our house don't stay as warm (remodeling, poor insulation), and I may sometimes bump it up to 68 or so.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#34 of 35 Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Layering helps. Some thin long johns under sweatpants make a big difference. Tank top + t-shirt + turtleneck + sweater, that kind of stuff.  Or, thin cotton long johns + woolen "tights" + heavy warm pants. Two socks (cotton + thick wool.)

A while ago, I went through some hormone disturbance (side effect of the meds I had to take) and I used to be cold no matter what temperature indoors. I'd wear all those clothes, a fleece robe, and then a fleece blanket on top. And a cat, when I was web surfing. smile.gif

#35 of 35 Old 10-30-2011, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We aim at 68 in the room where we have the thermostat for the furnace. This room does get a little bit of spillover heat from the kitchen, when we are really cooking, but generally is a reliable room that is not too affected by different weather conditions and sunlight since the windows faces west. The moment the thermostat in this room feels it dropping below 68 it sends a signal to the furnace to fire up.

68 is really rather high, if this was the temperature all over the house. Problem is, on a windy and cloudy day or when temperatures really drop outside (5 degrees is not uncommon during winter) we have several rooms that struggle to reach 64. Mainly because of insufficient radiators and windows that really do need fixing (we do go over the winter stripping and replace it as needed, but it only goes so far).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page