Do you actually eat beans and/or rice? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How often do you eat beans OR rice each month? Doesn't have to be together at the same time... eithe
Never 4 2.88%
Very rarely (not always every month) 7 5.04%
Once or twice a month 15 10.79%
Weekly 90 64.75%
Daily 18 12.95%
Multiple times a day 5 3.60%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I voted weekly only because I thought it was for both together.  I normally eat some form of beans and/or rice daily, sometimes every other day if I am sick of them.

*formerly apecaut*, Mom to A, Calliope (stillborn 40 weeks 6/22/07), A and O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Yes, both, often. However, we almost never have ONLY beans or rice (or beans and rice); there is usually some chicken or sausage and/or veggies in the meal, too. So it's not the super cheap meal it could be.

#33 of 52 Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are daily.. (6-7 days a week). We're vegetarian and with WIC we get a lot of rice and beans :)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#34 of 52 Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We eat rice several times a week..L is gluten free and Rice is a staple around here..Plus it is super cheap..I can make all sorts of different dishes,dinners and sides with rice...

Beans...Nope...I tried but L just won't eat them..I like baked beans but her pickiness won't even eat those..

#35 of 52 Old 10-28-2011, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Care to share your recipe for Spanish rice with chicken Legs????drool.gif  I know a certain 4 year old who just eat it up!!! I would really appreciate it too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

We eat both all the time. Dinner last night was a Spanish rice casserole with brown rice and chicken legs. Dinner tonight will be a chickpea and chard stew with garlic mayo. I often make a pudding or risotto with arborio rice. We eat Indian food with basmati rice and often lentils frequently. I love black bean soup, lentil minestrone, beef and barley etc. Hummus or white bean dip with lemon, EVOO and rosemary makes a great lunch with bread and raw veggies.
I think the key to making beans in particular appealing is to have some variety on the plate and garnish with chopped herbs to you don't just have a big mess o' brown, YK?
A great cookbook with lots of bean and rice ideas is Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.

#36 of 52 Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

we eat them maybe once or twice a month in the summer.  But at least once a week in the winter if not every day.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#37 of 52 Old 10-29-2011, 10:26 PM

For those of you who eat them often because you like/love them, and because of financial savings second, please share your recipes!!! I want to fall in love with beans and rice dishes.....so I can save money lol.

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#38 of 52 Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM

we don't do it because of finances, but just because its easy and we like them (and DS likes them, so at his age, that is important!) we mostly do chick peas and rice. Some cumin, cardamom, etc. YUM. Usually brown rice, and carrots and peas too.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#39 of 52 Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngspiritmom View Post

For those of you who eat them often because you like/love them, and because of financial savings second, please share your recipes!!! I want to fall in love with beans and rice dishes.....so I can save money lol.

Yes, please? Even though I won't/can't eat them I certainly wouldn't mind my kids and DH eating them, at least sometimes. :)

#40 of 52 Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I voted never.

In my vegetarian days we would once a month or so.

I would gladly, I quite enjoy them, but DH would never let that fly as a real and complete meal (believe you me, I've tried!)

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#41 of 52 Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post

Care to share your recipe for Spanish rice with chicken Legs????drool.gif  I know a certain 4 year old who just eat it up!!! I would really appreciate it too!!

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/arroz-con-pollo-2

It's not a bad recipe but test the rice earlier than it says - it was a bit overcooked for me.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#42 of 52 Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM

yes we love beans and rice. usually we eat beans more often then rice since moving in with the inlaws.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#43 of 52 Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM

My favorite bean recipe is the famous honey baked lentils.  We eat them with cornbread and baked winter squash for a cheap and filling meal.  http://www.mothering.com/community/t/887967/honey-baked-lentils

flowersforyou.gif

#44 of 52 Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 AM

We are huge rice and bean fans...although we rarely eat "rice and beans".

I often make a big batch or soupy beans and we eat them with corn tortillas for dipping, topped with cheese and whatever else we are in the mood for.

Rice is our main grain. We eat a lot of ethnic dishes, and I typically serve them over rice. My daughter would probably could live off of just rice and beans and be happy ;)

#45 of 52 Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post

My favorite bean recipe is the famous honey baked lentils.  We eat them with cornbread and baked winter squash for a cheap and filling meal.  http://www.mothering.com/community/t/887967/honey-baked-lentils

We love these too!  I usually make them with carrots and serve it over quinoa with a little feta.  It's so good!

Tonight I'm making beans and rice.  Last night I made pulled pork.  All of it is going in burritos with sour cream, spinach, tomatoes and salsa.  Yum!

Healthcare is a human right!
#46 of 52 Old 11-03-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

whoops, I voted a couple times a month because I was thinking together, but separate is several times a week.  Ooops!

I did the same thing!  We eat rice almost daily, especially now that I've gone GF.  We eat beans at least once a week, perhaps more.  Beans and rice together probably every couple weeks, more often during Lent.  My mom grew up a missionary kid in Mexico, so beans and rice was one of the foods she grew up with, and we had a lot.  Well, my family of origin wasn't very well off either, so it made economic sense, too.  We had a lovely electric tortilla warmer.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#47 of 52 Old 11-05-2011, 07:03 AM

I voted weekly. Probably 3 times a week, unless hummus counts than it's more than that.

#48 of 52 Old 11-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Our family is vegan (we follow Dr. Esselstyn/Dr. McDougall, Dr. Barnard, etc.), so beans and rice are AT LEAST a three-times-a-week staple for us, in various forms.  I keep different kinds of rice in the house ("regular" brown rice, brown jasmine rice, brown basmati, wild rice) along with stuff like quinoa, and make batches of beans 2 pounds at a time (from dry) and refrigerate/freeze in portions.  I also make double batches of rice whenever I cook it, and we keep the extra in the fridge all week and slowly eat it down, with beans, veggies, etc.

We don't do it so much for frugality purposes as we do for nutritional purposes.  :)

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#49 of 52 Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM

subbing!

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#50 of 52 Old 11-05-2011, 02:28 PM

The more I think about it the more I realize we are probably daily bean eaters.

I make black or pinto beans weekly to have on hand. DH eats them with his eggs, kids use them for taco salads or nachos for lunch, sometimes we make dips with them. We have beans in soups, stews, etc. I use the crockpot several times a week to make dinner. I use a lot of chickpeas, lentils, red and white beans and dahl. When we have chili one night, I make chili macaroni with leftovers. Mashed white beans with pesto make a creamy pasta sauce. I have teens to fill up and beans work with a lot of different things to bulk up the meal.

We only eat rice a few times a month. We eat quinoa also.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#51 of 52 Old 11-05-2011, 03:05 PM

We eat "beans and rice" probably 3x a week and then have rice another 2x.  We like Indian dals with basmati rice and refried or black beans with rice (bacon is key with this combo winky.gif). We eat rice with a lot of things (curries, stir fry, hash), but don't eat beans without rice very often. My kids aren't fans of soup, unfortunately.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#52 of 52 Old 11-05-2011, 06:04 PM

I often make rice as a side dish many nights a week. I mix brown rice and white rice together, as my boys complained when we ate only brown rice.No more complaints about the rice now (and I only added a small amount of white rice)  I love to cook rice, you can do so many different things with it, adding onions and veggies, like making a pilaf.\

We don't have beans all that often though, unless they are the canned kind. My husband loves those canned beans with maple syrup, so we make those sometimes too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page