Do you actually eat beans and/or rice? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How often do you eat beans OR rice each month? Doesn't have to be together at the same time... eithe
Never 4 2.88%
Very rarely (not always every month) 7 5.04%
Once or twice a month 15 10.79%
Weekly 90 64.75%
Daily 18 12.95%
Multiple times a day 5 3.60%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You hear it all the time.... save money and eat beans and rice.

So do you actually eat beans and/or rice? If so how often?

eat.gif  Edited to add...

Vote weekly if you eat them every week. Whether it's one day a week or five days a week.

Vote daily if you usually do eat it every day, or nearly every day (like six or seven days a week).

Resistance is futile Matey
#2 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

We eat rice, NO BEANS.  I prefer rice to potatoes most nights. But on the rare occasion we go out, then I like a baked potato prepared for me.

Unless you are counting Bushes Baked beans, those I can handle, but I am thinking you are counting dried beans.

I would say out of 7 dinners, we have rice 3-4 of those nights.  Either as a side dish or incorporated into the main dish (skillet or casserole type thing).

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 05:47 AM

Recently, for a whole month, when I was really trying to lower my grocery bill, and only allowed myself $30 on food for myself, I ate a lot of "rice and beans", pasta and rice and curry/stir fry combinations. I quickly got sick of it and I gained weight!!! :(  So now I eat a lot more soups, make 2 pots of soup per week sometimes. Some soups are bean/veggie soups, some are veggie/rice soups, whatever I have available. So yes, i still eat a lot of bean and rice in soups, but not a lot of beans and rice "together". I am a vegetarian, so beans and eggs are great and cheap sources of protein. Some tofu products are pricy:( I would say I eat rice or beans (or potatoes) 4-5 times a week...

familybed2.gif, bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIF, mom to DS winky.gif 6 and DD 3 and a wife to DH for 12 years partners.gif  veganeat.gif,
#4 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Yep, every day.  

Lots of ethnic dishes, lots of soup.  I buy rice and beans in 25 pound bags every few months, along with oats, spices, nuts, seeds, etc.  

We are all a healthy weight.  We get a big thumbs up from our family doctor when we rarely see her -- low blood pressure, low cholesterol levels, good iron levels, excellent blood counts. 

We have never been big meat eaters.  We do eat eggs, dairy, and the occasional chicken and lots and lots of veggies.  And yes, it saves us a lot of money.  Not only because rice and beans are cheap, but because we avoid a lot of the processed, packaged food that is so overpriced.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#5 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 AM

We eat beans and rice together or separately most weeks three or four times.  While not everybody likes every bean dish (DH is not a fan of chickpeas, DS2 is not big on lentils, I could live without kidney beans) DS1 is the pickiest eater in the house, but loves beans.

Yes we really eat them and mostly because we like them, that they are cheap is secondary.

lucifugous likes this.
#6 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM

We probably eat something with beans and/or rice 2 times a week.  We're not vegetarian, but we eat a lot of Asian and Mexican inspired meals.  For instance, tonight's dinner will be brown rice, refried beans, sour cream, salsa, fresh spinach, grated cheese and fresh guacamole.  

Last week we had a ham and bean soup and a lentil/ quinoa dish.  We eat stir fry about once a week and often eat curry over rice. 

Healthcare is a human right!
#7 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 AM

My very picky son with Aspergers loves red beans and rice and eats it at least twice a week. My dh loves this also. My girls and I do not care for beans at all. We love brown rice cooked in chicken broth a teaspoon of crab boil. We eat far more pasta or potatoes than rice though. I only enjoy white rice in gumbo or with something like roast.

#8 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Yes, we eat rice as a side dish quite often, and I cook dishes with beans all the time.  We just had meatless chili on Saturday, and make some kind of chili, heavy on the beans, almost every weekend during football season.  :)  My kids love rice and will eat any kind - brown, white, Spanish, fried, sticky, etc.

When I make a meat dish like chicken, having rice on the side really cuts down on how much meat I need to make.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#9 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 10:36 AM

we do eat beans and/or rice often, but it's probably because we really like them and not necessarily because they're traditionally "frugal" food.  I'll cook a huge batch of rice on sunday, and we'll use that periodically throughout the week.  Beans I prepare in the crockpot one a week, and then freeze them in meal-sized portions so they're ready for me to use.  DH eats beans every day, mainly because they are good sources of protein and good arbs and he's a triathlete so when he's training he needs LOT of that.

#10 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM

We eat beans and rice a lot too, but as Knittn' said above, because we like them!  We're long-time vegetarians so it has been our staple for a years.  I do like to be a bit playful with the way we eat them, though.  My favorite is to cook fava beans in a little garlic and then add them to a mix of chopped red onion and tomatoes.  I eat those with rice and/or a side of pita.  I tend to like Middle Eastern and Indian type dishes rather than just plain beans and rice. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#11 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 PM

We love beans and rice!  We eat them at least once a week, but often more-in a different style (like lentils with rice, or white beans with pasta and sage).  Or Indian dishes.... really, beans and rice are a perfect food!  And endless in their variety.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#12 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 PM

I voted weekly, but it's really more like 4-5 days a week. I typically make a pound of dried beans and then split it in half, one half just straight as a soup and one half as an ingredient in something over rice, then we have leftovers enough for at least 2 lunches (for 2 people each). Black beans and rice one day, black bean burgers or tacos 2 days later. Chickpeas straight one day, falafel or chickpea pasta or chana masala 2 days later.

And yes, I do it because 1) it's cheap, 2) it's fast to cook once and have 2-3 meals DONE and 3) cooking meat seems so germy and high-maintenance compared to a simple bag of beans. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#13 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM

whoops, I voted a couple times a month because I was thinking together, but separate is several times a week.  Ooops!

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#14 of 52 Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM

I didn't vote, because we eat beans 4 or 5 times a week ( because we love them ) but we rarely eat rice. We do beans in soups, pastas, casseroles, Mexican, you name it. We just don't care for rice so much.

#15 of 52 Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 AM

I voted daily although it's not quite that often (but close!).  Aside from beans and rice together some of our regular go-to meals are things like bean soups; baked beans with bread; and bean burritos; fried rice (with eggs); rice and cheese with veggies and spanish rice.

flowersforyou.gif

#16 of 52 Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not daily. Maybe weekly.

But I do love Basmati rice and I buy the huge 10lb "burlap" bag of it, which last 6 months. SO I think its a good deal because it last so long (but that is because we dont consume it daily)

And beans. I keep an assortment for different recipes mixed dahl (red lentils, yellow beans, mung beans), brown rice and puy lentils, red lentil.

The most simple is black beans and rice. Except it tasted best when I lived in Costa Rica (and ate it daily for breakfast or dinner)

They are good staples to keep in the pantry, and I am sure there would be savings if we consumed them more often.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#17 of 52 Old 10-25-2011, 07:47 PM

I think beans are horribly disgusting personally. I used to enjoy rice until I discovered I am allergic to it. So... no.

#18 of 52 Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM

We eat a dish made with kidney beans, zucchini, onion, and tomatoes sauteed together and poured over rice. I love it reheated for lunch at work.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#19 of 52 Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 PM

I needed something between weekly & daily.

We eat rice a lot more often than beans, but we do have beans pretty regularly. I do a lot of bean soups, I eat chickpeas like candy, I make lentils & rice (yes, the kids basically eat it), and one of my girls goes nuts over homemade baked beans (the others will eat them or won't, but one of my twins could live off baked beans).

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#20 of 52 Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 PM

Yes. I'd say we eat one or the other at least once a week.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#21 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

I edited the original post.  thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

I voted weekly, but it's really more like 4-5 days a week.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post

I didn't vote, because we eat beans 4 or 5 times a week ( because we love them ) but we rarely eat rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelEve14 View Post

I needed something between weekly & daily.

Resistance is futile Matey
#22 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sigh. No. I would, but DH is anti-legumes. We grew up eating beans - well, lentils, mostly - for reasons of frugality, and I know how to cook 'em - I have a yummy chickpea casserole with potato dumplings, a honey-baked lentil recipe with bacon, homemade baked beans with brown sugar and onions... tasty stuff. But DH doesn't like it. He'll grudgingly eat shepherd's pie or lasagna made with lentil "mince" occasionally, but that's about it. He doesn't even like hummus. Grrr.

We do eat rice, but I'm trying to cut back on that for weight loss. DH prefers white rice and I prefer brown (cooked in chicken stock, yum!), so that's another bone of contention. :p

We did institute a Tuesday Soup Night tradition a month or so back. It's frugal, the soup lasts us for lunch for the next day or two, and we both like it. And it might help me lose weight, if I didn't love having homemade bread along with it so much...  In the warmer months we also have platters fairly often for dinner, with cheese and crudites and pesto, hard-boiled eggs, leftover cold roast chicken, bread and olive oil, whatever we can find. Those two meals are probably the closest DH will willingly get to meatless meals. Not quite beans and rice, but not eye fillet steak either! :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#23 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 AM

We eat both all the time. Dinner last night was a Spanish rice casserole with brown rice and chicken legs. Dinner tonight will be a chickpea and chard stew with garlic mayo. I often make a pudding or risotto with arborio rice. We eat Indian food with basmati rice and often lentils frequently. I love black bean soup, lentil minestrone, beef and barley etc. Hummus or white bean dip with lemon, EVOO and rosemary makes a great lunch with bread and raw veggies.
I think the key to making beans in particular appealing is to have some variety on the plate and garnish with chopped herbs to you don't just have a big mess o' brown, YK?
A great cookbook with lots of bean and rice ideas is Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#24 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

We eat both all the time. Dinner last night was a Spanish rice casserole with brown rice and chicken legs. Dinner tonight will be a chickpea and chard stew with garlic mayo. I often make a pudding or risotto with arborio rice. We eat Indian food with basmati rice and often lentils frequently. I love black bean soup, lentil minestrone, beef and barley etc. Hummus or white bean dip with lemon, EVOO and rosemary makes a great lunch with bread and raw veggies.
I think the key to making beans in particular appealing is to have some variety on the plate and garnish with chopped herbs to you don't just have a big mess o' brown, YK?
A great cookbook with lots of bean and rice ideas is Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.

I agree.  We have a lot of variety of beans and rice and I voted daily, although it's more like 5 days/week, as pp's have said.  We rarely eat them together - it's usually either/or, usually but in a week we eat one or the other almost every day.  I'm also including legumes, in general, including green beans, lentils and peanuts.  I make soup about once a week and we eat the leftovers for lunch for a couple of days, and I always use beans or rice in my soups.  One of our favorites is pea soup with ham and bean soup a close second.  Not only are beans and rice excellent for the wallet, but they are super healthy... especially for this meat-loving family (we eat vegetarian only a couple times per week).  I think Megan is spot on with variety being key to keeping the dishes tasty.  We also like cold bean salads, so that gives, not just a flavor change, but a temperature change and textural change.  Beans and rice are definitely a pantry staple here.  I will say that some are easier than others to find in bulk where I live, so we have a lot more of certain legumes than we do others, and store just a few different types of rice.  We do have other grains that are rather inexpensive, as well (such as bulghur wheat to make pilaf, and canned corn).

#25 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 08:44 AM

We eat brown jasmine almost every day.  We eat a lot of beans and lentils, too.

Not for moneysaving reasons, though.  Health reasons.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#26 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Rice is certainly a staple in our kitchen, Not because it is a cheap alternative to other sides, but because it is a very nice side all in its own right. A curry just isn't the same without some basmati rice. A thai stir fry needs jasmine rice to taste right. My father's pineapple and carrot curry definitely is best served with tasteless Uncle Ben's standard parboiled rice.

I really couldn't imagine not eating rice since it is such an integral part of our cooking. Just as pasta and potatoes are.

#27 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Yep, weekly.  We eat stuff like blackbean and rice hotpot, 15 bean soup, lots of meals with rice as the starch, chili with rice on the side, lentils with or without rice, etc.

#28 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 AM

absolutely.  we eat it weekly (several times a week).

it's the perfect protein, it's super thrifty and it's downright yummy. yummy.gif

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#29 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 PM

We eat rice fairly often, but unless heavily disguised (baked beans, in chili) I think beans taste like dirt.  I have tried to like them my entire adult life, but can't do it.

#30 of 52 Old 10-26-2011, 03:18 PM

I voted weekly (2-3x a week). The pantry is always stocked with a variety of different beans and rice. I find them to be quick and really versatile ingredients and now with the colder weather starting I use them a lot in different soup and chili recipes in the crock pot.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page