had to share my frugal bday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-26-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, not mine, my 5 yo dd.  We have a new neighbor who seems to think that it is the end of the child's world that we don't do up big bday parties each year, for each child.  We do small ones, usually w/just us or a couple of friends.  I make the cake, we blow up our own balloons, (lol), I hang streamers.  We only give one or two presents from all of us and then bday child gets something from my mom and her husband.  We LOVE our bdays because they aren't stressful or expensive.  So today I made a Barbie "cake" and used rice krispy treats instead of cake.  She's getting a new-to-her bike that was free to us thru Craigslist, a Barbie car found at a garage sale for .25, and a cute pillow made by one of her big sisters.  My mom got her a few of the Curious Chef items--really cute and I know she will love them.

So, we didn't spend but $10 total (new training wheels) and she will be thrilled!

003.JPGJust wanted to post here w/people who would appreciate it. 

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#2 of 8 Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Sounds like a blast!! thumb.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 8 Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Perfect!  Big parties stress my kids out.  We have very mellow birthdays, too... I know some families love the huge, expensive ones, but that doesn't mean it is good for every kid....

Awesome cake! 

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

AND you used gummy bears.  That alone is super!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 AM

Wow, I am super impressed with the Barbie cake.  Really cute.

Sounds like a wonderful day all around.

#6 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

That cake is AWESOME and your daughter is adorable! Your neighbors are idiots.:-) Why does everything have to be so commercialized and loud and obnoxious? I plan to do birthdays like this for my son. You don't need to buy a ton of crap to have a great, memorable occasion.  I think you did great! And it sounds like she got some awesome gifts! 

By the way, I'm totally stealing your idea of using rice crispy treats for molded cakes like this. Brilliant idea - I'd like to think I could construct awesome architechturally shaped cakes with frosting and toothpicks, but in reality it would likely just end in tears all around. This solves the problem and I don't know a kid alive who doesn't like crispy treats. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#7 of 8 Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the cake (and kid) compliments. 

KQ, I am totally going to scrap our "gingerbread village" (too many people to do just one house, lol, so we usually do a whole scene), and do something awesome w/rice krispy treats!  I'm thinking a sleigh complete w/gifts and santa and reindeer, but maybe I"m crazy, lol.  One tip....put a bit of cold water on your hands while you are molding it, but just enough to keep it from sticking.  Works better than butter.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#8 of 8 Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

AH!  Love love love that you do that.  We always do family parties and I love it because it's special and I get to enjoy my little gifts.  Yes it's their day but oh man is it my day too!  This year they've been begging for a big party.  I said yes, but I really don't want to do it. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page