Creative childcare? - aupair, exchange student, live/work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have an extra bedroom & need support with in-home childcare while still making ends meet....

does anyone have experience or suggestions on live-in arrangments? Perhaps if we were to rent or subsidize a room (and/or board?)? Ideally the same person could support with our 6month old daughter...

much appreciate any thoughts!

#2 of 4 Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 PM

what about a college student. that goes to night school?

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#3 of 4 Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A college student or single mother would probably gladly accept an offer of reduced (or free) room & board in exchange for reasonable amounts of household help. If you're expecting a full-time employee, you'll probably need to offer a small wage on top of room & board. And most exchange student programs would not allow you to use a student in that way, as far as I know.

I'd try posting on craigslist - investigate the value of room & board in your area, and then offer a STEEP discount for a set number of hours of services. For example, if your room would rent for $300/mo, and you're expecting 15 hours of child care from them per week, offer the room for free and try to negotiate a contribution towards household groceries (like $100, maybe?). At that exchange, they're "working" for $5/hr ... so just keep that in mind when proposing your deal. =)

If you're not intending to have "set" work hours (like, you need someone to watch the kids but you can't say you'll always need help Mon-Weds from 3-8p), I'd estimate the hours you might need someone and then see what you can find that might suit. It would be hard to have someone essentially on-call all the time, so I'm not sure how those negotiations would look, tbh.

Good luck!

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#4 of 4 Old 11-02-2011, 11:24 AM

I just wanted to chime in and say an exchange student probably wouldn't be a good idea because they are limited (by state department regulations I believe) to only babysitting or working around the house 10 hours a week.  We've had 5 exchange students and they were all too busy to even babysit even that much.  We didn't rely on them to babysit at all because schoolwork is a huge time drain for them and then they tend to have busy social lives too.  

flowersforyou.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page