need help choosing a car - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i was in a car accident about 2 weeks ago. it was the other guys fault and i am going to be getting about 10,000 dollars for the car and related damages. my car was totaled. now we are looking to buy another car. i had a 2002 golf. it easily fit my 2 kids (3 and 5 year old girls).  and occasionally i could fit another car seat. we would like to have a 3rd kid. i like little cars and i want something that has good gas mileage. i don't want to use all the money on a new car, i would rather save as much as i can.  what i really like is the 2000-2004 jetta deisels. they are old, but the diesel engines run forever and they get 40-50 miles/ga diesel.  my husband wants something else. i am open to getting something else, but honestly, i don't think there is a better buy than the diesels, adn i like those years because the body is still relatively small yet still fits a family of 5. my parents have 2 newer model jetta diesels and they are much larger and bulkier.

so if yo had this money to spend, what would you buy that would:

1) fit a family of 5 (think combo/rearfacing (1) and 1 booster, 1 big kid, or 2 boosters)

2) be less than $10,000

3)get good gas mileage

4) last for awhile

5) come in manual transmission (i love driving manual. this is actually a pretty big deal, basically the ONE must have in a car. i don't care about color or what the model looks like, but i want to drive a manual transmission)

any suggestions??

thanks,

Rachel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Edmunds.com is my favorite resource for all things car. Their reviews might point you to some other vehicles in the same class.

Whatever you do, make sure you get any prospective vehicle checked out by a trusted mechanic. It will cost you around $100, but you'll find out of there is anything seriously wrong with the car - you can either walk away, or use the mechanic's report to negotiate the price.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my brother is a mechanic, so he'll be coming with us to check it out. thanks for the reply!

User Tag List