Thrift Score! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#271 of 293 Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Stopped by my local Salvation Army store today and found 25 excellent used condition size small fuzzi bunz diapers and 1 medium for a grand total off.........$17!

Perfect for us because we didn't start to cloth diaper until DD was older so we don't have any small sizes.
mamapigeon likes this.
#272 of 293 Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I hit several yard sales yesterday while running a bunch of errands.  Picked up a new food saver vacuum sealer with unopened bags and accessories for $11.  I had been wanting to get one for a while because I do buy beans and grains in bulk and thought it might be useful, especially because I can get the mason jar sealing attachment and reuse the mason jars to store dry items.  Just tried it and it works great.  Also bought a new toaster oven for $8; ours is on its last legs.  Blew $3 on somewhat useless things, like earrings for my daughter, a porch decoration, and a toy for my son.  Very pleased about finding the food saver.

#273 of 293 Old 05-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We stopped at a garage sale on the way home from Mass. They had a blanket with free items and we took home a picture frame, a bag with a broken handle that my daughter wanted to use anyway, a bagel slicer (not the kind that stands up on its own and you put the bagel in, you have to stand the bagel up and put it down into the bagel so I will use it not my children), a silverware holder and a few other things. I bought a little sign "People have eaten in my kitchen and lived to tell about it..." for a dollar, which was sort of wasted but oh well, I had the change.

Even better than that, after Mass (before the garage sale) we went into the church bookstore and saw a table with free stuff. (I read later in the bulletin that the seminary had done some housecleaning.) We brought home an office chair that a friend put in our minivan for me, a set of pretty Corning ware baking dishes - white with blue flowers, and several crucifixes, thanks be to God!

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#274 of 293 Old 05-18-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I got a free washer which was advertised as an apartment sized washer- really it's a dual permanent/portable washer you can install either way.  It's still brand new.  It was listed on Kijiji, and I got super lucky.  The washer here when we got here leaked terribly.

The downside- I need to repair massive water damage beneath the old washer. :(

#275 of 293 Old 05-18-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Awesome find on the washer!!!! I wish we could have those apartment stackable easier/dryers where I live....would love it!!!
#276 of 293 Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Another amazing yarn find at Goodwill today! I spent almost $40 that I can't really afford, but I got 3 bags of yarn. After I donated back the skeins I don't need, I was left with 35 balls/skeins of top quality yarns - alpaca, cashmere, hand-dyed, bamboo, silk, merino, oh, all sorts of great stuff. Many still had original content tags and price tags, in the neighborhood of $10-20 each. Unfortunately, I only kept the colors I like. I think I am going to start collecting yarn to sell online. This is something I love searching for, and I know the quality and value. I regret that I gave them back 8 or 10 skeins of the softest alpaca because it was baby pink, a color I would never use. I could have easily sold just that for more than I paid for the whole lot. Oh, well, live and learn.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#277 of 293 Old 06-15-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
We've mostly been picking up books at Goodwill as of late, but on our way home from a long weekend in Wisconsin we stopped at one up there and I found a Tilia Foodsaver for just $7! They start at around $65 new so I was super excited.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#278 of 293 Old 06-21-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Popped into Goodwill on the way to the grocery store and found a few things - three books for Little Man under $2 - a Thomas the Tank Engine, Dr. Seuss and a Richard Scarry. Also found two matching milk glass bowls - interestingly they were priced differently - one was $1 and the other was $2. So weird since they were identical!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#279 of 293 Old 06-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 Goodwills by me have REALLY gotten pricey last month or so. And dirtier items then ever. Going to try the one by sisters as they usually have decent stuff. Picked up a snow suit that is a 3t for .50 from a local place. I had to cause it was so cheap and favorite color.
#280 of 293 Old 06-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I've stepped out of my thrifting box lately and have found some great new resources. One is a book "store" that receives donations of books and then gives them away for FREE! It's so fun! The books are even sorted into genres. They do not even have a place to give a donation so it's just 100% free. They also have a huge section of National Geographic that I've mentally stored away for future projects.

THEN, I found out that some local urban gleaners are working with farms to offer free produce pop-ups. I'm going to one on Sunday. It's $6 donation for an Ikea bag (those big blue ones) full of produce. I'm so excited to try it!
Catholic Mama likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#281 of 293 Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post
THEN, I found out that some local urban gleaners are working with farms to offer free produce pop-ups. I'm going to one on Sunday. It's $6 donation for an Ikea bag (those big blue ones) full of produce. I'm so excited to try it!
That is so awesome!

#282 of 293 Old 06-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
That is so awesome!
If it works out, I'll take a picture and share it here.

#283 of 293 Old 06-22-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
If it works out, I'll take a picture and share it here.
5 big beautiful heads romaine
1 red-leaf
2 nice heads of spinach
bunch of Thyme
bunch of beautifully fragrant wild onions
8 purple carrots
5 huge orange carrots
5 cucumbers
5 peppers
broccoli (odd, packaged in little snack bags?)
9 mangoes
3 lbs. grapes
1 lb cherry tomatoes
5 lemons
Quart of milk

There was lots, lots more that I could have fit in my big Ikea bag but I really didn't think I could store it and I am too busy this week to arrange to share with friends. This place group was amazing. In addition to all that food I feel as if my faith in humanity has been restored. Yay for good people!!
Catholic Mama likes this.

#284 of 293 Old 06-22-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
5 big beautiful heads romaine
1 red-leaf
2 nice heads of spinach
bunch of Thyme
bunch of beautifully fragrant wild onions
8 purple carrots
5 huge orange carrots
5 cucumbers
5 peppers
broccoli (odd, packaged in little snack bags?)
9 mangoes
3 lbs. grapes
1 lb cherry tomatoes
5 lemons
Quart of milk

There was lots, lots more that I could have fit in my big Ikea bag but I really didn't think I could store it and I am too busy this week to arrange to share with friends. This place group was amazing. In addition to all that food I feel as if my faith in humanity has been restored. Yay for good people!!
Wow, that is AWESOME! I'm so jealous. And I bet the broccoli was in little bags because it was the side shoots that grow on the plant after the main head is harvested.

#285 of 293 Old 06-22-2014, 04:34 PM

It was really awesome. I think some was from the farmer's market (I recognize some of the in-season local stuff). Other stuff seemed sourced from groceries and etc. It was also just a really interesting scene. People from all walks of life. The line was full of inspiring conversations between people trying to eat well on a tight budget. I'm hooked.

#286 of 293 Old 06-22-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It was really awesome. I think some was from the farmer's market (I recognize some of the in-season local stuff). Other stuff seemed sourced from groceries and etc. It was also just a really interesting scene. People from all walks of life. The line was full of inspiring conversations between people trying to eat well on a tight budget. I'm hooked.
What part of the country are you in? I want to find something similar near me!

#287 of 293 Old 06-22-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
What part of the country are you in? I want to find something similar near me!
I am in the mid-Atlantic - large city. I suggest that if you are in a city that you look on FB (or the like) for urban gleaning.

#288 of 293 Old 06-22-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am in the mid-Atlantic - large city. I suggest that if you are in a city that you look on FB (or the like) for urban gleaning.
I live in the Chicago suburbs, so I bet we have something similar! Thanks - I'll have to do some googling.

#289 of 293 Old 06-22-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I live in the Chicago suburbs, so I bet we have something similar! Thanks - I'll have to do some googling.
Yes, I'll bet you do. Good luck.

#290 of 293 Old 06-25-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't come across any good thrift store finds recently - but I have scored some freebies.

At the office, a coworker brought in a bunch of items her DD didn't want - for my DD I was able to get 3 hard cover picture books and a box of chalk.

On a walk in my neighborhood I stopped at a table in front of someone's house - 2 picture frames and a christmas box, also a new lamp shade for a table lamp. Can't say that I would have purchased the "new" shade in that style and color but it's WAY better than the one I had.

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 181/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012)
#291 of 293 Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Stopped at a Savers on the way home from strawberry picking tonight and hit the jackpot -

- Wooden Thomas four-engine repair shed $3 (going for $30 on ebay!)
- Thomas Take & Play farm set $2 ($12 new!)
- 5 children's books $4
- Brand new Wilton train cookie cutter set $2

Little Man was so excited!

#292 of 293 Old 07-07-2014, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Better than thrift- curb score! Our dehumidifier just died this weekend (necessary appliance where we live) and tonight my next door neighbor put a nice one out for trash day! Just needs a drain hose, which I think I can scavenge from the broken one. YAY for stuff karma!
#293 of 293 Old Today, 09:13 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My city's library system has a used book store for old library books - always great prices. But I just discovered they have a huge selection of large print books. My elderly mom needs these, I got 6 for 75 cents each! Hard to find at any price, so I was especially excited. I will be going back there often (Mom reads a lot!)

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page