Thrift Score! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

#301 of 320 Old 08-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got 5 hooded baby towels for $5 Have not seen any since I started looking in February and baby is coming next month. I was in a rush to look for long but will go back in few weeks as they had very nice baby items compared to the local Goodwill that is run down.
#302 of 320 Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie View Post
Wow!!!!! What a treasure!!! I know your little (and big) man was happy
They were both over the moon about it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
In a misguided attempt at frugality, I banned myself from thrift stores. This was a major tactical error! I am already over-budget for books for the month (it is only the 7th), and I bought a new skillet at the supermarket (needed but could have saved a bunch if I had put a little time into looking at thrift stores and yard sales). Forget this false savings!
Come back to the fold, mamarhu!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#303 of 320 Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Scrabble Jr. $.79
Kids puzzles- I spy type, where everyday objects make a scene $.59/each got 2.
#304 of 320 Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermomma View Post
Scrabble Jr. $.79
Kids puzzles- I spy type, where everyday objects make a scene $.59/each got 2.
Great finds!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#305 of 320 Old 08-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Had a great trip today! For $10, I got:

~ A Bookend
~a book for my dd
~ A Heidi Ott 18" doll in full outfit {was color of the day so .99!}
~A homeschooling book we needed for this fall
~A organic chemistry model set {debating if I should ebay it or keep for dd}
~A starbucks mug
~A starbucks single cup brewer {the kind that sits on the mug}

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#306 of 320 Old 08-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Go frugalmama!

Sat our goidwill was having a half price day for all books and media. We got ten kid vhs tapes for a dollar. Other highlights included a childrens dictionary for fifty cents and sketchers maryjanes for three bucks.
#307 of 320 Old 08-11-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Husband and Little Man found a Thomas DVD for $2 at Goodwill today - no scratches, so it plays perfectly!

#308 of 320 Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I scored a 20 pound box of tomatoes for $3.50 yesterday at the produce market. A bit bruised and blemished, but not bad. I cut out the bad spots, throw them in the food processor, and freeze in quarts. Use in spaghetti sauce and like that.

Also found a cute little painted shelf thingy with coat hooks for $2.30 (1/2 price color tag, plus senior discount!). I have no closet in my bedroom, so coat hooks will be welcome.
rightkindofme likes this.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#309 of 320 Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
I scored a 20 pound box of tomatoes for $3.50 yesterday at the produce market. A bit bruised and blemished, but not bad. I cut out the bad spots, throw them in the food processor, and freeze in quarts. Use in spaghetti sauce and like that.
That is an awesome deal!

#310 of 320 Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
That's a great deal! A farm by me sells a bushel (about 50 lbs) for $10 or 10 bushels for $70. I've processed 50 lbs peaches and 150 lbs tomatoes so far. Gearing up for buying 10 bushels...if I can find the energy!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#311 of 320 Old 08-22-2014, 12:19 AM

150 lbs of tomatoes!?! Holy wow!
#312 of 320 Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

While on vacation out near the Mississippi River, we stopped at an antique mall on the side of the road in a barn outside of a small town. I was so excited to find some rare milk glass at rock bottom prices - four steins for $2.50 each, and four canning jars with lids for $2.00 each. Major score in my world!

ETA - just did some research on my jars, and apparently they're marmalade jars from the UK. And they're going for $20.00 each on Ebay! So I picked up $80 worth of jars for just $8.00!!! I knew those were a rare find when I grabbed them!
rightkindofme likes this.

#313 of 320 Old 08-29-2014, 09:35 PM

I just got permission at work to build a small library of books we recommend frequently to our clients. I work in the field of children's mental health, and there are a few titles that keep being suggested. So I now can pick them up at thrift stores as I find them, and share with the community. Found 3 books yesterday, around $3 each at Goodwill. My mini-budget will go so much farther this way than at a new book store! I work for a small agency with little extra cash, so I am excited to see how far I can stretch the limited funds. And of course, I am thrilled to have a legitimate reason to visit thrift stores!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#314 of 320 Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
That's great MamaRu! I would love to get paid to thrift. I live in a large-ish city and we have a free bookstore here started by public school teachers. It's such a wonderful place. It's HUGE (larger than any mom-and-pop book store I've been to) and they even organize by genre. Lots of the books are old but that's part of the fun, IMO. My favorite thing to get there are old National Geographics. They always have an entire shelf to choose from. I suspect they give children's books directly to local schools and charities because they are suspiciously absent.

I have a good thrift story for ya'll. Last winter I was in Anthropologie (high-ish-end women's clothing store with beautiful, expensive things). While looking for some small gift items I tried on a BEAUTIFUL dress that was over $300, which I loved. I didn't get it (never would). I was in my local thrift story this summer and was flipping through the dresses and saw something that looked familiar. Guess what? It was that SAME dress. And....in my size! It was so weird. $10.
EmsMom and ocelotmom like this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#315 of 320 Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM

Yardsaling last weekend found a newish Food Saver with lots of associated containers and lots and lots of unused bags. $40. I think the bags alone would be more than $40.

As I am supposed to be moving sometime in the next few weeks, I need a couple of things for the new house. I figured I would need to buy a lawn mower, a twin mattress, a small couch or loveseat, a ladder and a few tools and I wanted to buy a new flat screen tv and throw out our old one that I bought for $20 at a yard sale five years ago. I have already been offered a new mattress, a slightly used lawn mower, needed garden tools and a new snow shovel. I also found the perfect love seat at a REsale store for $75. That means plenty of money for the new tv as well as other necessities that I don't even know about yet.

I really do enjoy the serendipity of the pre-owned marketplace...
#316 of 320 Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I have a good thrift story for ya'll. Last winter I was in Anthropologie (high-ish-end women's clothing store with beautiful, expensive things). While looking for some small gift items I tried on a BEAUTIFUL dress that was over $300, which I loved. I didn't get it (never would). I was in my local thrift story this summer and was flipping through the dresses and saw something that looked familiar. Guess what? It was that SAME dress. And....in my size! It was so weird. $10.
I think it isn't so weird. It is probably much easier for the universe to send you the dress via a thrift store than to send you the extra $300 to pay for it and the gumption to feel comfortable to pay $300 for a dress...
#317 of 320 Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Where I live, there's a thrift store downtown that sells all winter gear. Scored a brand-new-with-tags coat for my daughter for $5. The rest of my haul included snowpants for the 2 big kids, boots for them, coat for me and several scarves as I remember it, for $13.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#318 of 320 Old 08-31-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
Yardsaling last weekend found a newish Food Saver with lots of associated containers and lots and lots of unused bags. $40. I think the bags alone would be more than $40.

As I am supposed to be moving sometime in the next few weeks, I need a couple of things for the new house. I figured I would need to buy a lawn mower, a twin mattress, a small couch or loveseat, a ladder and a few tools and I wanted to buy a new flat screen tv and throw out our old one that I bought for $20 at a yard sale five years ago. I have already been offered a new mattress, a slightly used lawn mower, needed garden tools and a new snow shovel. I also found the perfect love seat at a REsale store for $75. That means plenty of money for the new tv as well as other necessities that I don't even know about yet.

I really do enjoy the serendipity of the pre-owned marketplace...
Great deals! And I agree - serendipity is a wonderful thing, especially in the world of thrifting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
I think it isn't so weird. It is probably much easier for the universe to send you the dress via a thrift store than to send you the extra $300 to pay for it and the gumption to feel comfortable to pay $300 for a dress...
Hahahaha so true; I agree!

Little Man and I hit on a few major scores while doing the thrift score circuit today.

At Savers -

- Brand-new carvable Funkin pumpkin $4
- Jack-o-lantern treat bucket $1
- Large milk glass mixing bowl $6
- Slightly smaller milk glass mixing bowl $6 (nests into the larger one nicely)

At Goodwill -

- Carvable Funkin pumpkin $2
- Round glass terrarium bowl $1 (we're going to make a Halloween terrarium with Dollar Tree trees and graveyard pieces, with Spanish moss)
- Small milk glass mixing bowl with a scalloped edge $1
- Small milk glass mixing bow $1
- Three-story metal Victorian-style haunted house votive candle holder $10 (the original price tag on the bottom is $40!)
- Dr. Suess book and Sandra Boynton book $1.50
- Brand-new Mike the Knight figurine set $1 (we're going to set this one aside for Toys for Tots)

I think I'm the most excited about all of the milk glass mixing bowls - with a existing one I have that fits in between the larger and smaller ones, I now have a 5-piece nesting set, which means I can finally - after 12 years - get rid of the 1970s Pyrex sets from my mother-in-law!

#319 of 320 Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Not thrifted, but a score! - My upstairs neighbors moved away this weekend and left some stuff anyone could take. Got about 5-6 different cleaning supplies, a large hand sanitizer DH can use in his classroom, 6 pkgs. Bob's Red Mill pancake mix (luckily you can use it to make muffins and coffee cake, too) and some granola. Whoo hoo!

On the thrifting front, I rounded up 6 bags of stuff to donate and dropped them off, but resisted the temptation to enter the actual store

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#320 of 320 Old 09-16-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yesterday at Savers I found two Phillippa Gregory books that I don't own already for $2 each. Found another today at Savers for $2, plus two children's books for $1 each. Also was excited to find a Thomas train carrier for 5!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page