Thrift Score! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

12Likes

#331 of 340 Old 04-25-2015, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I've been doing really good lately finding things!

Church Rummage Sale last weekend:

4 t-shirts for me for .50 each
10 books for dd 5/$1
Ergo Baby Sport carrier $2 - I flipped this on a local FB resale group for $25.

Goodwill haul yesterday:

American Girl Story collection book $1 {will flip as we already have - should sell for around $10-$15}
Single American Girl book $1
Book for dd $1
2 Oscar De la Renta ties $1.99 each - will flip on ebay for about $10 each I hope

Me, 30 single mama to T age 8 We and Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 340 Old 04-25-2015, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Frugalmama, you reminded me we went by a church rummage sale today too. We got a paper bag for $3 and you could fill it for that price. We got -

- Carhart flannel shirt for husband
- Some summer shirts for Little Man
- Pajamas for Little Man
- Eric Carle board book
- Dr. Suess book
- Book about San Francisco's cable cars
- Sesame Street card game
- Toy shopping basket

Not bad!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#333 of 340 Old 04-26-2015, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
yard sale season again! Yesterday i picked up a nice wooden side table from the 30s (cottage style) $13. Perfect and needed for my living room. And a floor lamp for $5, also for living room and sorely needed.

quite happy on both counts, although I do still need a shade for the lamp.
#334 of 340 Old 05-23-2015, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Stopped at a couple of thrift stores on the square today when we went to farmers market and found some great scores. Got all of the following for just $22 -

- Thomas and the Christmas Tree book
- Sandra Boynton book
- Children's book about robots
- Children's book about dump trucks
- Vintage children's book about a tractor
- Milk glass dish
- Long sleeved children's dragon shirt
- Short sleeved Monster's Inc. shirt
- Brand new camping can opener
- Large eyelet lace napkin (going to turn it into a napkin)
- Simca's Cuisine by Simone Beck

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#335 of 340 Old 06-01-2015, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We tried having a yard sale for the first time this past weekend. I thought we were offering stuff pretty cheap, but we didn't make a whole lot. I'm looking to bring some of the stuff to Goodwill. As I understand it, Goodwill gives you a receipt and you estimate the value of what you are donating on your own. This may sound silly, but what is to prevent me from writing a huge figure? How do you estimate the value of your stuff....I can't even remember what I paid for it. I have some wool skirts in very good shape (not worn more than about 5 times). Does $10 sound reasonable? What about for used books in good/verygood condition? $3 each? TIA!
#336 of 340 Old 06-02-2015, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomWife View Post
This may sound silly, but what is to prevent me from writing a huge figure? How do you estimate the value of your stuff....I can't even remember what I paid for it. I have some wool skirts in very good shape (not worn more than about 5 times). Does $10 sound reasonable? What about for used books in good/very good condition? $3 each? TIA!
The prospect of getting audited on your taxes by the IRS is what prevents you from writing a huge figure. :-)

As far as estimating worth, educated estimations of depreciated value are what you're going for, unless it's a high end item that may be an antique or of value. I think the prices you quote are reasonable, though I'd only do $3 for books if they're either very recent or classics - anything else is probably only worth $1 second hand.

#337 of 340 Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

We had a banner day yesterday!

For craft supplies, all for $23-

- Vintage "Designing with Dusan" sewing pattern drafting kit, from 1979
- Plastic snap-top case (for crayon storage)
- 2 brand-new 48-count boxes of Crayola crayons
- 2 brand-new boxes of Crayola colored pencils
- Simplicity blouse sewing pattern
- Metal embroidery hoop
- Huge box of white newsprint (I'm going to use it for sewing pattern drafting, and for coloring paper)
- Full box of clear transparency printer sheets
- White printable mailing lables
- White printable business cards
- Bag of miscellaneous lace doilies
- Large pink Caboodle case (going to use it for my sewing kit)

Toys and books, all for $31 -

- Plastic toy hard hat
- Hardcover complete stories of Curious George
- Giant tub of Play Doh accessories (over 50 pieces)
- Super-sized Thomas coloring book
- Thomas Take N Play train track
- Hardcover Thomas Railway Rhymes book
- 3 more Thomas books
- Hi Ho Cherry-O board game
- Richard Scarry's Best Christmas Book Ever
- Thomas Bingo game
- Thomas DVD

Miscellaneous stuff, all for $24
- 2 6-quart square food storage containers, with lids (the kind restaurants use - will be great for brining, or proofing bread - so many things)
- Reproduction 1908 Sears catalog
- Seasons 6 and 7 of Seinfeld

Spent a little bit more than I planned on, but the stars lined up for an awesome day of thrifting and Little Man and I had a blast.

Last edited by kitchensqueen; 06-07-2015 at 09:53 AM.
#338 of 340 Old 06-20-2015, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone finding any good yard sales lately? There have only been a few in our neighborhood recently, and nothing compelling.

But we stopped by one of the thrift stores on the square after farmer's market today and found a few things - a huge terrarium jar for just $3. I've had my eye on the exact same one at Hobby Lobby for a few months, which is marked at $15 - so I was excited to find this one. I also found three necklaces for $1.50 each - they're the plastic bead ones - one is red, one is white, and the last is blue and they're in graduated lengths. They will be great to wear on the 4th of July!

#339 of 340 Old 06-26-2015, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I haven't been finding much either lately. Mostly because I've been busy & broke lol. I have found a couple of things at thrift shops though.

American Girl 2 doll tote - .70 {was .99, but I used 30% off student discount}
American Girl Girl Size Nightie - 3.99 It was even in my dd's size, and she has the matching one for her doll, so this winter they can match.

Me, 30 single mama to T age 8 We and Love it!
#340 of 340 Old 06-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Our best local thrift shop changed hands recently, and it's not as good. Still, I was able to meet a few of my clothing needs there a few weeks ago.

Otherwise I stopped in at another shop when I met up with a friend and found a nice small, flat purse for when I ride my bike plus a cute decorative plate I put in the kitchen. Relatively expensive at $3 and $2.50! Not like my old favorite store!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (12) DH "M"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page