Thrift Score! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Frugality & Finances > Thrift Score!
rnra's Avatar rnra 12:26 PM 07-12-2013

frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 02:18 PM 07-12-2013

Scored this week at our Texas Thrift store - they had all shoes 50% off. Got a pair of Stride Rite saddle shoes for DD that look like have only been worn a handful of times at most - there serious is no wear on the bottoms! And they were only $2!

IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar IdentityCrisisMama 07:54 PM 07-12-2013

What a fun thread! I love to thrift. We live in the city so there are a few thrift stores close to us. My style is to go frequently but just for a half hour or so. My most recent score was 4 copper mule/julep cups. Still haven't had a drink out of them but they look so lovely in my glass kitchen cabinet. We also live close to two Goodwill outlets. Those places are crazy but fun and way cheap. Anyway, subbing to read some posts...

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 11:48 AM 07-13-2013

Few more scores today. 

At Goodwill I was so excited to find brand new, still in the package Dr. Suess birthday party invitations for $1.00! Also picked up a Golden Book and a Fisher Price See & Say toy for another $1.00. 

And I spent $15.00 at the Target One Spot to get some more Dr. Suess stuff for Little Man's party - reusable bags (for the goodie bags), erasers, decorative wall strips (the kind you use on bulletin boards), crayons and flash card games. I have nearly everything I need for the party and I've spent less than $30.00. I just need to pick up some plain red paper plates, napkins and cups at the dollar store and then we'll be all set. I'd like to find a Dr. Suess tshirt for him to wear at his party, but if I can't find one I think I'll just make one with an iron on transfer. Though I'm still hoping I hit the jackpot at the thrift store on that one in the next month or so. 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:28 PM 07-20-2013

Errands took me in the vicinity of two different Goodwills today, so of course I popped in and found some excellent deals - 

- 3 pack of wall outlets and 1 wall light switch $3

- 3 red, white and blue striped mini tin pails $1 (originally Target One Spot, brand new)

- 2 Golden Books, 1 Richard Scarry Golden Book, Berenstein Bears book, two Dr. Seuss books $3

- Spiderman long-sleeved t-shirt (brand new with store tags) $1.50 in kid's bargain bin

- Batman long-sleeved t-shirt with removable cape (brand new with store tags) $1.50 in kid's bargain bin

- Lego Batman minifig t-shirt (brand new with store tags) $1.50 in kid's bargain bin

- Red cable knit sweater $1.50 in women's bargain bin

- Grey Banana Republic cardigan $1.50 in women's bargain bin

- Blue Banana Republic cashmere sweater $1.50 in women's bargain bin

I got what was probably close to a $100 cashmere sweater for $1.50!!! I love the Goodwill. Most of my wardrobe comes from the bargain bin these days, and I couldn't be happier. 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 08:32 PM 08-01-2013

Anyone else finding some good deals? I'm disappointed that there haven't been any good yard sales in our area, but I did have a banner run at Goodwill again today - 

- Brand new in package Disney Cars wipe off board with marker $1.00

- Norpro Apple Mate 2 in box (pares, cores and slices) $3.00

- Brand new red fleece throw blanket $3.00

- 2 Garden Story Flowers plantable seed page packets $2.00 (Christmas gift for nieces)

- Brand new in package cedar grilling planks $3.00 (Christmas gift for FIL)

- Black fall/spring hooded jacket for me $8.00

- Charlotte Russe black/white polka dot tank top with ruffles $3.00

- 11 children's books (mostly Golden Books and a few Berenstein Bears) $6.50

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 04:22 PM 08-04-2013

Another successful stop at Goodwill today - 

- 6 children's books $3.50 (one of which Little Man didn't notice I grabbed and have put away for his Easter basket next year)

- Orange cable knit cardigan from the Gap $1.50 in the discount bin. I really think most of my wardrobe comes from the Goodwill discount bin! 

NewDirections's Avatar NewDirections 11:37 PM 08-10-2013

The local thrift store down the street sometimes has dollar days where everything is a dollar.  I got so many shirts and 2 scarves for $12

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 10:53 AM 08-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDirections View Post

The local thrift store down the street sometimes has dollar days where everything is a dollar.  I got so many shirts and 2 scarves for $12

That is awesome! I wish we had that here!

We got an amazing score off of Craigslist today. For $40 we got a giant bin of Hot Wheels wall-mount race tracks and cars. The stuff would've cost over $200 new, and it's still in like-new condition. We're going to give it to Little Man for his big birthday present. Killer good deal. 

Mylie's Avatar Mylie 06:57 PM 08-14-2013

I went to Goodwill yesterday and I found a few good deals....

L L Bean jacket in brand new condition for L(5) for $1.99

A Circo shirt that L fell in love with because it was purple and had unicorns and sparkles on it for $1

The best find was 2 pks of brandnew Cherokee socks for L for $2 a piece..She really needed these :)

Kind of took away some of the dissapointment of not finding any Ramona Quimby books for L...She loves the series and we just finished Ramona and Beezus...

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 06:37 PM 08-27-2013

Call me crazy, but while on vacation I managed to stop at four Goodwills across two states. Let's see if I can remember everything I got - 

- Coleman battery-operated camp lantern $3

- Red Crockpot Little Dipper crockpot $5

- Red, white and blue striped fabric tablecloth (new in package from Target) $5

- Size 7 boys sneakers (new with tags from Target) $5

- Disney Cars tote with 8 mini Disney Cars books $3 (Christmas gift for Little Man)

- Disney Cars valentines (new in package) $1

- 6 different colors of crepe paper streamers $3 (For Little Man's birthday party)

- 2 Gardens to Grow kits (new in package) $4 (for my sister's housewarming gift)

- NYPD Matchbox car $0.25

- 2 pairs of Mossimo jeans (brand new with tags from Target) $16

- Gap tshirt $1.50

- Old Navy shorts $1.50

- Random children's book $0.60

- 6 white melamine plates $3 (for our camping/picnic gear)

- Blue plastic cutlery set (new in package - for our camping/picnic gear) $0.50

- Christmas Golden Book $0.60 (Christmas gift for Little Man)

- 2 Richard Scarry books, a Sandra Boynton book and a Curious George book $2.40 (birthday gift for Little Man)

- Hot Wheels mini car carrier $2

At an antique store, I also found Churchilll Blue Willow, which is my china pattern. I bought six salad plates and six cereal bowls for $3 each. And at a Walgreens, I got two camp chairs for half off, at $7.50 each. Quite a good haul, all told. 

Poddi's Avatar Poddi 06:08 AM 08-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Call me crazy, but while on vacation I managed to stop at four Goodwills across two states. Let's see if I can remember everything I got - 

At an antique store, I also found Churchilll Blue Willow, which is my china pattern. I bought six salad plates and six cereal bowls for $3 each. And at a Walgreens, I got two camp chairs for half off, at $7.50 each. Quite a good haul, all told. 

Great bargains!  But how did you manage to take all those stuff home? :) When we go on vacation (usually by driving) we hardly have enough space for the suitcases. Did you expect to buy lots of stuff?

I bought 23 pieces of kids clothes a few days ago at Value Village's 50% sale for $40. :) My boys have been growing so much.  Now they have enough pants that are long enough.  I think the 50% off sale day will be on labor day in US, if anyone's interested. 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:03 PM 08-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

Great bargains!  But how did you manage to take all those stuff home? :) When we go on vacation (usually by driving) we hardly have enough space for the suitcases. Did you expect to buy lots of stuff?

I bought 23 pieces of kids clothes a few days ago at Value Village's 50% sale for $40. :) My boys have been growing so much.  Now they have enough pants that are long enough.  I think the 50% off sale day will be on labor day in US, if anyone's interested. 

You'll get a kick out of this - we have a Honda Civic that was already pretty loaded down with camping gear. But - brag warning here - I am a master car packer. A little creative rearranging and everything fit! And I forgot two things when I posted my list yesterday too - 

- A Dangerous Book for Boys $1

- Eastport backpack for me (brand new with tags) $5

And that is a great deal on the clothes!!!

mamarhu's Avatar mamarhu 10:52 PM 08-29-2013

One of my clients at work finally found an apartment, after living in a single motel room with 4 kids for over 2 months. She urgently needed pots and pans, and all kitchen stuff. I visited Goodwill, and purchased, for less than $50:

A soup pot, a skillet, and a small saucepan, all with lids

A matching set of flatware, setting for 8

8 plates

8 glasses

2 mugs

several utensils - ladle, spatula, and I don't remember what else

4 picture frames (for each kid to make an art project to hang in their "area")

a pretty basket to hold the art supplies I scrounged at the office - colored paper, crayons, glue sticks, stuff like that

a candle with holder and a vase for Mom. I added roses from my garden.

I also have access to a non-profit agency that will help the family get all the furniture, linens, & household stuff they need for the new apartment, and my agency will pay for a moving van to deliver it! I feel so happy for these folks!

happyhats's Avatar happyhats 11:53 PM 08-29-2013

mamarhu, that's so heartwarming.  And very generous of you as I know you have your own income issues.  I'm happy for that family and grateful for people like you.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 06:30 PM 08-30-2013

Yes mamarhu, that is some thrifting to brag about!

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 06:57 PM 09-02-2013

More good deals at Goodwill - 

- 3 tops and 2 sweaters (some Gap and Old Navy) $12

- Cars "tire fishing" game $2

- 6 children's books $2

- dress $4

- Gap red cable knit sweater for Little Man $1.50

mamarhu's Avatar mamarhu 08:16 PM 09-03-2013

Kitchensqueen, I think you personally keep the Goodwills in your area in business!

BTW, I feel justified in saying this, because the same could be said for me, in my neighborhood!:D

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 09:07 PM 09-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

Kitchensqueen, I think you personally keep the Goodwills in your area in business!

BTW, I feel justified in saying this, because the same could be said for me, in my neighborhood!:D

I think I do my part! :-)

IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar IdentityCrisisMama 08:55 PM 09-06-2013

I went to the Goodwill outlet to find some clothes for painting in (I'll be painting 3x/week for school) and found that but I also found 5 vintages dresses and they all fit me!  I don't normally do polyester but they're really cute old handmade shifts in great colors and patterns. One is cotton and a bit older - 50's?  I was so excited because vintage dresses like that go for between $15-$65 in my town and the're had to come by in my size anyway. $6 for all 5 dresses and several changes of painting clothes AND a pair of J Crew pants for my DH. Score!  

honeybee80's Avatar honeybee80 09:37 AM 09-08-2013

For $15 at the ARC yesterday (most of it was 50% off): 

From Hanna Andersson, in perfect shape:  2 shirts, 2 skirts, 2 pairs of pants

Rainbow striped sheet set to make curtains for my classroom (I'd been looking at fabric stores for the perfect fabric and hadn't found the right thing yet, because these were waiting for me--so stoked!)

LittleBlackBug's Avatar LittleBlackBug 08:22 PM 09-08-2013
I love ARC!!! Which is your favorite one?
honeybee80's Avatar honeybee80 09:09 PM 09-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackBug View Post

I love ARC!!! Which is your favorite one?

I like the one in Littleton on Bowles and the one at Broadway and Florida :)

quirkylayne's Avatar quirkylayne 06:46 PM 09-10-2013

Its been awhile since I've done any serious thrifting but I had a great day today.

A perfect picnic quilt, homemade, for $2

snow boots for my ds $4

HA jacket for my dd $4

tons of scholastic and magic tree house books for kiddos 30 cents each

I also called a friend and got her kids sizes and was able to get 4 pairs of snow boots for her.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 08:49 PM 09-12-2013

Stopped at Goodwill before grocery shopping tonight and found a few things - 

- Banana Republic sweater $7.00

- Jack-o-lantern tin pail (for Little Man to trick or treat with, and decor) $2.00

- 2 ceramic houses (for husband's miniatures gaming - he'll repaint them and use them as scenery) $2.00

- 3 children's books $2.00

KnockedUpButtercup's Avatar KnockedUpButtercup 12:10 PM 09-15-2013

Haven't had any big scores in a while, but managed to get some nice maternity jeans for $8.65 at Goodwill last week.  They were from Motherhood, dark wash, boot cut (my favorite jeans style), and waaaaaaayyyy too long, which was perfect for the trouser hem I put in them this weekend.

I was desperate for maternity jeans, and now I'm feeling pretty fly.  :D

Holly

LittleBlackBug's Avatar LittleBlackBug 09:03 PM 09-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee80 View Post

I like the one in Littleton on Bowles and the one at Broadway and Florida smile.gif

Ohh! I will have to check out the Littleton location. My fave so far is Alameda and Hooker.
Mom2SammyJoe's Avatar Mom2SammyJoe 06:37 PM 09-16-2013

Within 2 weeks I purchased practically a whole maternity wardrobe for under $40

at our church's clothing swap, a Liz Lange gray zip up hoodie was free

I place my first order on Thred up. I signed up for an account, and the next day they emailed me a $15 off code. I got a skirt, a pair of corduroys, and 3 pair of jeans (2 small, 1 medium) for $22.90, including shipping. This was an especially great deal because I need petite length and was able to get them :)

Before that box came in the mail, I stopped at a yard sale.  I spent $10 and got 2 maternity dresses (1 will be great for weddings and such), 2 shirts, and a pair of leggings.

Then I stopped at Salvation Army for their 99 cent sale. I found 4 maternity tops (1 Ann Taylor) and a pair of petite medium jeans for $5.25.

That is 16 pieces of maternity clothing for $38.15, or $2.38 a piece :)

At the same yard sale I found the clothes, I also got a Mobywrap that looks new, 5 Snappis and a handful of breastmilk storage bags for another $10. Then I found a Zolowear sling on Craigslist for $30. Before I could call the lady to go get it, she lowered the price to $20! I had borrowed one from a friend with my previous baby and hoped to get one of my own. I didn't expect to find such a great deal on one in my size during my first trimester.

CookiePie's Avatar CookiePie 12:02 PM 09-18-2013

I've lost 26 lbs in the last year and still going strong!  So most things in my closet is loose.  So I spent $80 on work clothes at goodwill this week, most things were NWT & everything that I purchased was name brand.  I brought home Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Talbots, Loft, Anne Klein and The Limited!  I've never been much of a name brand snob, but a friend of mine has experienced how well that the clothes hold up and since I'm still losing weight I can recoup more money if consign whatever gets too big and start the cycle all over again.   My Goodwill has a "boutique" section and charges more for the name brand items.  Annoying but still I'd rather pay $8.99 for banana republic work pants than $80-$90 full price.  And really it's just $3 more than the regular pants so not a big deal.   I'm curious if other Goodwill stores are doing the same thing?  

Today I went to the consignment store to collect money from stuff that I brought in a couple months ago.  I found a pair of new black pumps, grey slacks (that I need to hem) and my biggest score of the day a banana republic shirt marked down to $0.50.  After the clothes reach a certain date she drastically reduces the prices!  Got all that plus got cash back from my clothes.  I made an appointment to go back next week as inspiration to clean out my closet!   Now I just need some cardigans all that was there in my size was black.  I need some color because I often wear black slacks or skirts.  I've got my eyes peeled. 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 06:29 PM 09-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

I've lost 26 lbs in the last year and still going strong!  So most things in my closet is loose.  So I spent $80 on work clothes at goodwill this week, most things were NWT & everything that I purchased was name brand.  I brought home Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Talbots, Loft, Anne Klein and The Limited!  I've never been much of a name brand snob, but a friend of mine has experienced how well that the clothes hold up and since I'm still losing weight I can recoup more money if consign whatever gets too big and start the cycle all over again.   My Goodwill has a "boutique" section and charges more for the name brand items.  Annoying but still I'd rather pay $8.99 for banana republic work pants than $80-$90 full price.  And really it's just $3 more than the regular pants so not a big deal.   I'm curious if other Goodwill stores are doing the same thing?  

Today I went to the consignment store to collect money from stuff that I brought in a couple months ago.  I found a pair of new black pumps, grey slacks (that I need to hem) and my biggest score of the day a banana republic shirt marked down to $0.50.  After the clothes reach a certain date she drastically reduces the prices!  Got all that plus got cash back from my clothes.  I made an appointment to go back next week as inspiration to clean out my closet!   Now I just need some cardigans all that was there in my size was black.  I need some color because I often wear black slacks or skirts.  I've got my eyes peeled. 

My Goodwill has a lot of name brand stuff, and for the most part is does hold up better. I often find Banana Republic in the as-is bin for $1.50!

First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up