Thrift Score! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

#121 of 319 Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree that the name brand stuff holds up much better.  I have a pair of Talbots work pants that I have worn 2-3 times per week for the past three years, and they're still going strong!  

#122 of 319 Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM

I just got a baby bath chair (not a tub, but one of those reclining chairs for the bath) for $2 in perfect condition. They go for $20+ in the stores.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#123 of 319 Old 09-19-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

My Goodwill has a lot of name brand stuff, and for the most part is does hold up better. I often find Banana Republic in the as-is bin for $1.50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnra View Post

I agree that the name brand stuff holds up much better.  I have a pair of Talbots work pants that I have worn 2-3 times per week for the past three years, and they're still going strong!  

Does your Goodwill separate the name brands onto boutique racks and charge more?  I was wrong with the prices that I posted, boutique pricing is  $11.99 for pants and 8.99 for shirts.  Mine does and it annoys me, but it does make it easier to find those brands. 

I got 2 skirts one brand new from Target and a brand new pair of nude pumps form Target and a pair of black slacks.  I still need cardigans everything was nice was x-small.  I also need belts but that's about it!   

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#124 of 319 Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 AM

There is not a "boutique" section at my Goodwill--it's all together.
#125 of 319 Old 09-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I am starting a small business project, upcycling used adult t-shirts into baby clothes, and today I found:

5 baby rompers and onsies, to use as size guages (I make my own patterns, but want to standardize the size and shape) - $1 each

10 used adult t-shirts - 4 or 5 with good art, or music group logo, others not so great, but good for practice - $1 each. 

$15 investment, to start a business! All I can think of that I need to get going is thread, and a chalk marker. This evening's project is to pull out and clean up my old serger. If it doesn't still work, it has been at least 2 or 3 years since I have even looked at it, I may be back at the thrift stores tomorrow...

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#126 of 319 Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

Does your Goodwill separate the name brands onto boutique racks and charge more?  I was wrong with the prices that I posted, boutique pricing is  $11.99 for pants and 8.99 for shirts.  Mine does and it annoys me, but it does make it easier to find those brands. 

Not really; it's usually all just dumped in the same bin or hung on the same rack. I've only been in one Goodwill that had a special "designer" section, and that was in Kenosha I think. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#127 of 319 Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Found a few things today when we popped in - 

- Chicago Wolves hat for husband $3

- Brand new Hot Wheels car in package $1

- Board book $1

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#128 of 319 Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

I am starting a small business project, upcycling used adult t-shirts into baby clothes, and today I found:

5 baby rompers and onsies, to use as size guages (I make my own patterns, but want to standardize the size and shape) - $1 each

10 used adult t-shirts - 4 or 5 with good art, or music group logo, others not so great, but good for practice - $1 each. 

$15 investment, to start a business! All I can think of that I need to get going is thread, and a chalk marker. This evening's project is to pull out and clean up my old serger. If it doesn't still work, it has been at least 2 or 3 years since I have even looked at it, I may be back at the thrift stores tomorrow...

I love this business idea!!!! 

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#129 of 319 Old 09-21-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Yesterday I scored 3 work shirts that looked barely used and I needed them so very badly...

I also found a John Deere Pink and Purple Hoodie for Little L that looks brandnew and a cute LandsEnd Dress with butterflies on it she will love...I have a pair of legging it will look adorable with :)

#130 of 319 Old 09-21-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got a chance today to stop at an independent place, Community Thrift, that we keep passing by. It's a large building and the parking lot is always packed, so I had high hopes. But I was super disappointed. First off, the place was filthy. The clientele was... interesting (to put it mildly). And the prices were outrageous. I found two things (shockingly) that I was interested in, but only ended up getting one thing. I found a brand-new Wilton mini cup cake pan for $7.17 - not a big discount off of retail, but enough that I picked it up. And the thing I left behind was a beautiful amber colored pressed glass turkey (that would've been perfect for my Thanksgiving table), but they wanted $14.00 for it!. No. I am not paying that much for a glass tchotchke that I'll have sitting out for a few weeks every year. I highly doubt I'll go back - I'm just spoiled on the wonders of Goodwill...

Which we did also pop into the way home, where I found a Sandra Boynton board book for $0.65. 

#131 of 319 Old 09-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Yep, Goodwill near me has a 'boutique' rack of women's clothes, but it seems sort of random. I got a Michael Kors top for $6.99 on the boutique rack (regular shirts are $4.50). But, I often find lots of brand name items (Banana Republic, tons of Ann Taylor/LOFT) in the regular racks.

#132 of 319 Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbaby View Post

Yep, Goodwill near me has a 'boutique' rack of women's clothes, but it seems sort of random. I got a Michael Kors top for $6.99 on the boutique rack (regular shirts are $4.50). But, I often find lots of brand name items (Banana Republic, tons of Ann Taylor/LOFT) in the regular racks.

It's very interesting isn't it? 

#133 of 319 Old 10-02-2013, 03:15 PM

I stopped by Goodwill today and got 2 pairs of Gap pants and and button down for DH.  Both pants were the right color for 1/2 price blue items today!  

#134 of 319 Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ha, I totally forgot to post my latest haul from last Thursday when we stopped on our way to grocery shopping. I found a brand-new with tags Peanut's "Great Pumpkin" long sleeved t-shirt for Little Man for $3, and I got about a dozen books for $5 to squirrel away for one of his Christmas gifts - a very rare Richard Scarry, some Dr. Seuss, some Sandra Boynton and the Beatrix Potter series. 

#135 of 319 Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 AM

My latest scores (from a kids consignment sale on half-price day):

--girl's Gap dress $1--dark red with satin ribbons, perfect for Christmas

--girl's Gymboree top and pants set $2

--girl's Gap leggings $1.50--cream colored; will pair with the dress

I was pretty pleased. I usually shop Goodwill for DD's clothes, but these prices were even better. (Goodwill prices in my area can be high, especially on brand name clothing). My area has these kids consignment sales once or twice a year. People consign their 'like-new' brand name items and set their own prices. Sometimes I find nice items at good prices. Lately, though, I've seen really high prices and kind of a "meh" selection. Like, the sale organizers aren't supposed to accept any clothes with stains, holes, etc or anything other than name-brand items (no Target or Walmart brand clothes). Lately, I've seen lots that seem to have slipped in unnoticed or they've relaxed their standards. Often, I can find better pieces at Goodwill. But, I still like going for the thrill of the hunt. :)

I also sent my first bag into ThredUp...got $26 in return. Wondering if I should spend it there or cash out. I'll probably cash out and spend it at the thrift store. :)

#136 of 319 Old 10-12-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Popped into Goodwill today while running errands and found four children's books for Little Man - a Dr. Suess and Golden Book that I let him have today and two that I snuck past him for Christmas - another Dr. Suess and a Berenstein Bears Christmas story. 

#137 of 319 Old 10-12-2013, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Basically brand new Timbuk2 bag for $3 at a community garage sale. 

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#138 of 319 Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 PM

My city has many, many Goodwills. Each reflects the neighborhood it is in. The way cool hipster neighborhood Goodwill has great clothes and home goods, brand-name, vintage, like that, but very expensive, at least by thrift store standards. The conservative, upscale neighborhood one is expensive and classy. My po' folks neighborhood has cheaper stuff, but not the same quality or variety. I don't know if this is based on where the donations are received, or if they send all the "good stuff" to the upscale stores.

The Mormon church runs one of the best thrift stores around here. Best prices, generally good quality merchandise, always clean and well organi*ed.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#139 of 319 Old 10-13-2013, 05:30 AM

I'll admit, I don't go to thrift stores as much as I should (but I'm an Ebay, Freecycle addict..) reading this thread + my recent buys makes me realize what I'm missing! 

Went to little teeny local kids consignment shop. It's in a wealthy area, and it's so teeny and crammed you can barely walk around, but if you dig you can find some really amazing things;

-Lilly Pulitzer corduroy skirt (hot pink with horses on one side, and the other side is tan with red horseshoes) my daughter rides, and is obsessed with horses

-Crewcuts button down "dress" shirt for girls, brown with a galloping horses on it 

-Handmade beautiful knit sweater 

-Ugg clogs for DD 

-Hatley rainboots for DS with robots on them

-Two Pony pals books 

-American Girl book "Girls and Their Horses"

-Usborne Spooky Stencils for DS

I almost cried, all that stuff and I think I paid $75...which I know seems like a lot, but thinking that alone the Uggs cost that much made me happy. I wasn't expecting all the name brands nor was I expecting all the HORSE STUFF! It made my DD's day to come home to new books and the beautiful horse clothing, which she literally hugged when she got it. I'm def going to be heading back to that one sans my DS (who's three, and was very patient)...outside the shop they had a ton of costumes, some were less than $5 and would be great for Christmas/the dress up bin. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#140 of 319 Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 AM

Yesterday I had to go in to work for a few hours.  Afterward I decided to go home a different way so that I could pass by a different Goodwill.  There is also a Savers nearby but I spent so much time in Goodwill and I scored, so I didn't bother with Savers.  I started in the women's section, I always end up with  a heap of stuff to try on!   I found 2 pairs of dress work pants in the boutique section but, they were both half price.  I found 2 cardigans 1 dark green silk the other NWT brown, from the Limited. Then I found a violet wrap sweater and an aqua sweater, 2 tees a scarf.  I found one top for my older daughter.  And I totally scored for my younger daughter!  I found 4 pairs of brand new abrocrombie skinny jeans in her size for $3.99 each!  They will be going under the tree for Christmas!  No luck whatsoever in the men's department.  But on Friday I hit a different, tiny thrift shop where I got him 3 pairs of jeans and I got myself 1 pair of black banana dress pants.  I have several pants now to hem!  I was hoping to get to it today but I have so much to do I don't know if it will happen!

#141 of 319 Old 10-17-2013, 05:24 AM

I'm on a roll!  I hit up the consignment shop where I take our things to and found an adorable coach wristlet just marked down to $5-gift for DD1.  A flannel, a sweater and a long sleeved tee for DD2.  For myself a cashmere sweater just marked down to $2.50 and another top & v neck sweater.  With my credit of $10 my total came to $18 and I'm planning on saving all of it for Christmas!  I also went to a used furniture store, the pawn shop and Salvation Army, but didn't purchase anything at any of those stores.

#142 of 319 Old 10-20-2013, 03:12 PM

Yesterday, I decided that we have outgrown our smallish fruit bowl. I wanted to find a shallow, rectangular basket, that would just fit the top of the microwave cart (no microwave). So we went to Goodwill, and found EXACTLY what we needed! What are the chances? And only $3.99. And that purchase put me over the 400 points to earn a $10 credit next time. And, I managed to get out the door without buying anything else! What a day!

#143 of 319 Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 AM

How do the points work?  Nobody ever explained it to me. 

#144 of 319 Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:

How do the points work?  Nobody ever explained it to me. 

This might not be the same everywhere. At Goodwills here, there is a "club" you sign up for. Show your card (or give your phone number) and you accumulate points toward a $10 credit after 400 points. It's fun, but the sad thing is how frequently I am up to 400. Means I spent $400! Also gives a small % discount over $20. My card is good in the whole metro area here, but not in the bigger city a couple hundred miles away. Can you tell how I spend my vacations?

#145 of 319 Old 10-23-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Now our Goodwills here in Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin are different. We don't have points for our Goodwill cards. The main perks are 5% off when you spend $20 or more, and a 25% off birthday coupon each year. I wish ours had points thought! 

#146 of 319 Old 10-26-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

I've actually been trying to avoid the Goodwill recently because I'm trying to be more cognizant of saving money, but I stopped in today. Found a few things - 

- Little People horse stable $0.50.

- 3 children's books $1.20

And while not a thrift store, I got some deals at Dollar Tree today - a black cape for Little Man's Batman costume, a few more mice Halloween paper silhouettes, some Halloween mini cupcake liners and four Richard Scarry board books for part of Little Man's Christmas gift. 

And there's a new thrift store opening next month in our area called Savers - can't wait to check it out! 

#147 of 319 Old 10-27-2013, 06:40 PM

Savers seems to be related to Value Village and Thrift Village. In my area, they are supporting The ARC (non-profit that supports children and adults with developmental disabilities). I used to work for them, and they do great work! My perception of the thrift store is that they have nice stuff, well-organized and clean, but sort of high prices. Here, if you make a donation (any size?), you get a coupon for 30% off your purchase that day. That can make it a pretty good deal!

#148 of 319 Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

Savers seems to be related to Value Village and Thrift Village. In my area, they are supporting The ARC (non-profit that supports children and adults with developmental disabilities). I used to work for them, and they do great work! My perception of the thrift store is that they have nice stuff, well-organized and clean, but sort of high prices. Here, if you make a donation (any size?), you get a coupon for 30% off your purchase that day. That can make it a pretty good deal!

That's good to know - I've got a ton of stuff I need to donate. I can't wait to check them out - the store is huge and it looks really nice. 

#149 of 319 Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We love Value Village. We do must of our shopping there. Yes, it can be high but every 3-day weekend they have a 50% off the entire store. If you get their rewards card you shop there the day before and get 50% off. Each week one color tag is 50% off. If you donate your used stuff there, you get 20-30% coupon to use. The store is highly organized, clean and clutter free. I do not have to wade through millions of things to find what I am looking for. 

Heidi
#150 of 319 Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM

So I asked what the member card does and it is the same as what Kitchensqueen said.  Save 5% when you spend $20 and 25% off one day during your B-day month.  I stopped at the Goodwill by work today and got a few things. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page