Thrift Score! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

#1 of 320 Old 10-29-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

I searched and couldn't find a thread for this, so here we go. :-)

Share your awesome scores at the thrift store, consignment shop, garage sales or yard sales! If you got a great deal on something this is the place to brag about it.

I haven't gotten around to the thrift stores a whole lot recently, but a few weeks ago we got out and I got four like-new books for $4.00 -

How to Potty Train Your Monster by Kelly S. Dipuccio and Michael Moon

The City Parent Handbook by Kathy Bishop

Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities & Occasional Moments of Grace by Ayelet Waldman

The Story of Sushi: An Unlikely Saga of Raw Fish & Rice by Trevor Corson

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 320 Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

jut got a nice kids bike, with elbow and knee pads and bike gloves for $13.00, then when we were getting in the car saw a guy donating a little tykes cozy coupe, asked to buy it off him and he gave it to me.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#3 of 320 Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Not a thrift shop score, but I got 6 50 count boxes of diabetic strips, brand new, off thredup for $16. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#4 of 320 Old 10-29-2011, 07:17 PM

I got a solid oak armoire for $30 at a thrift store, then primed and painted it and she is a gorgeous addition to my playroom!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 320 Old 10-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Dar

Our new goodwill outlet is awesome. It's .79 a pound for all clothes and shoes, and so far I've gotten two pairs of Doc Martens in good condition - they look new after some polish , a pair of Uggs that have some damage at the top but are warm and wearable, a full-length all-leather Banana Republic coat, a few Banana Republic sweaters in great condition, and on, and on... I've never paid more than $10, for a full cart.
peaceful_mama likes this.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#6 of 320 Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 AM

I just bought a brand new (in sealed box) Medela Harmony manual breastpump for $20 Cdn from kijiji, which sells for $65+tax at Toys R Us smile.gif I was (and still am) pretty pleased with myself for this one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Karen (39), DH (40), DS (7/7/07), with three m/c (11/05, 10/09, 11/10), BFP for mid-November -- keeping fingers crossed!!
#7 of 320 Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I got a pair of J Crew cords for myself for $1.49, a J Jill wrap shirt for $1.49, a long sleeved Land's End shirt for $1.49 and a pair of Talbots trouser jeans for $1.49.  2 complete outfits for $6!!! Last Tuesday was great, I wonder what good stuff will be at Goodwill this Tuesday!

#8 of 320 Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM

I got a South Pole coat for DD2 for $7 and a London Fog coat for DD3 for $6 at the Arc.

Our thrift stores generally suck around here. We don't even have a Goodwill anymore. But sometimes there are good deals at Arc.

#9 of 320 Old 10-31-2011, 02:20 PM

Some of my recent finds:

A 100% wool blanket for $4 ($100 new)

Keens for me, great condition, $8 ($80 new)

I kind of live at the thrift store. bag.gif I go several times a week (different stores in the area). Just reading this thread makes me want to go again NOW!!!
granolamommie likes this.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#10 of 320 Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 PM

I just realized I got another really good find and hadn't known it. I bought a pair of shoes for $4. Really comfy, nice looking. Figured they were from Target or something. Nope. They are Merrell.

#11 of 320 Old 11-20-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I've scored some good deals recently - 

Two cases of quart canning jars - free from my aunt in law. 

Things That Go by Richard Scarry and The Companion to Narnia by Paul F. Ford - free from Bookmooch

Two Halloween picture frames (black text on white background with Halloween words/phrases) - $1.00 each at Goodwill.

Three packages of glitter - $0.24 each at Evil Big Box Store.

Two mini Halloween hole punches - $0.24 each at EBBS.

Six sets of Halloween cards (8 cards per package - three Frankenstein heads with a Domo-style graphic and three black with white "boo" lettering) - $0.10 each at EBBS. 

1 package of Halloween scrapbook paper - $0.24 at EBBS.

1 Creative Cuts Child and Doll Apron kit - $5.00 at EBBS (Christmas gift for my niece who's getting an American Girl doll from her grandparents).

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#12 of 320 Old 11-20-2011, 09:31 PM

we got a looks like new bread maker and a ton of books for free this weekend... kept some books, and got $20 for the rest at half price books smile.gif
Imakcerka likes this.

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#13 of 320 Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I just found about about Bookmooch.   This looks like a great site.  I was on paperbackswap years ago.  Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I've scored some good deals recently - 

Two cases of quart canning jars - free from my aunt in law. 

Things That Go by Richard Scarry and The Companion to Narnia by Paul F. Ford - free from Bookmooch

Two Halloween picture frames (black text on white background with Halloween words/phrases) - $1.00 each at Goodwill.

Three packages of glitter - $0.24 each at Evil Big Box Store.

Two mini Halloween hole punches - $0.24 each at EBBS.

Six sets of Halloween cards (8 cards per package - three Frankenstein heads with a Domo-style graphic and three black with white "boo" lettering) - $0.10 each at EBBS. 

1 package of Halloween scrapbook paper - $0.24 at EBBS.

1 Creative Cuts Child and Doll Apron kit - $5.00 at EBBS (Christmas gift for my niece who's getting an American Girl doll from her grandparents).

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#14 of 320 Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I just found about about Bookmooch.   This looks like a great site.  I was on paperbackswap years ago.  Thanks for the link!

You're welcome. :-) You can find some real gems on there if you're willing to search, and it's a great way to exchange books. Extended barter is great; I wish I could find more sites that work in a similar way. 

#15 of 320 Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:

You're welcome. :-) You can find some real gems on there if you're willing to search, and it's a great way to exchange books. Extended barter is great; I wish I could find more sites that work in a similar way. 

Thredup is a clothing / toy swap site, works similar to bookmooch. I LOVE swapping things. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#16 of 320 Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Thredup is a clothing / toy swap site, works similar to bookmooch. I LOVE swapping things. 

Thredup does look neat but it's not straight barter. :-( The shipping fee is what kind of kills the deal - you automatically have to pay about $20 per box. I suppose getting the credits back for shipping boxes out would offset it a little bit. 

#17 of 320 Old 11-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Thredup does look neat but it's not straight barter. :-( The shipping fee is what kind of kills the deal - you automatically have to pay about $20 per box. I suppose getting the credits back for shipping boxes out would offset it a little bit. 

Yep - I normally swap 4 boxes, get 1 back in. Helps declutter the house in the process, which I really really need. 

#18 of 320 Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 PM

The St. Vinnies in our area had a 50 percent off everything sale last week. I found brand new Merrell hiking shoes for $8, a Hollister winter coat for $4, and a full bag of random hollister, abercrombie, the childrens place, and baby gap clothing for $5.

slingtwin.gif Mummy to DS1, 3, hola.gif twins DD and DS2, and wife to DH asl.gif

#19 of 320 Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM

A thrift store by my house has tag sales where certain colors are 75% off or 50% off.  I recently found a brand new Gap pea coat marked $28 but on sale for $7! It's beautiful and warm, and I needed a new coat for winter. Yay! I love thrift stores.

Kate~ Mama to two.
#20 of 320 Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I got the book "Healing with Whole foods" by Paul Pitchford in brand new condition for $2.99 :) It's been on my to buy list for quite sometime now.. Costs $60 to buy new.

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#21 of 320 Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishkate View Post

A thrift store by my house has tag sales where certain colors are 75% off or 50% off.  I recently found a brand new Gap pea coat marked $28 but on sale for $7! It's beautiful and warm, and I needed a new coat for winter. Yay! I love thrift stores.

That is a killer deal!

#22 of 320 Old 11-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Thrift scores-

Snow pants for dd, in great condition $2

Glass jar, silver candle holder, and silver basket for decorating -2

Skirt for dd- 2.00 it is adorable, black, red and yellow check with a bow

3 new hats 2.00

Magazine holders- 4-1.00

Bulletin board- New 1.00

Construction Paper 2 packs 1.00

Kids Books- 5 for 1.00

Gift for DD, "vet" bag, and "vet" coat 3.00

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#23 of 320 Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 PM

I so wish I could do this.  I just seriously dislike shopping so much I can't make myself look through the racks.

#24 of 320 Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I so wish I could do this.  I just seriously dislike shopping so much I can't make myself look through the racks.

I will admit that digging through the clothing really tries my patience most of the time. Though I hate clothing shopping to begin with. But the rest of it is just like a treasure hunt to me. We do NOT do Black Friday shopping at all ever, but I am thinking of popping over to the thrift store this year. Definitely a different monster than shopping BF at the big boxes, and I don't see any other day I'll have free soon. I'm hoping to score a set of 4-6 plain matching highballs so I can make my husband a set of etched beer glasses - either a Viking helmet or long boat; which ever masking tape stencil looks better. If they both come out awful, I'll etch "skal". But I digress... 

#25 of 320 Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM

What thrift stores do you go to?  I'm in SA too, but I can't find any good ones around here. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post

we got a looks like new bread maker and a ton of books for free this weekend... kept some books, and got $20 for the rest at half price books smile.gif

#26 of 320 Old 11-23-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:

It is a bit of a nightmare and the first few times I tried thrift shopping it was really tough for me, too much disorganization & I was on visual overload! But after finding several good deals it gets really addicting. I don't usually go through the clothes, that just pushes my limits way too much and I don't generally buy clothes anyway because it's not in my budget. I stick to mostly toys, housewares, and shoes. The other day I got a cute pair of Bogs boots for $10 (they sell from $80-100+) -- I really needed some kind of waterproof boot for playing with DS in the rain & snow, and these are perfect!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#27 of 320 Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:

What thrift stores do you go to?  I'm in SA too, but I can't find any good ones around here. 

there is a thrift town on nacogdoches and thousand oaks that is decent, and i regularly get $5 off of $15 coupons in the mail.i think they have a few locations. last time i went he ended up with like 7 pairs of pants, a couple of shorts and shirts, a toy and wool harley motorcycle hat for $11 and some change after the coupon. i havent really looked in depth at the other stuff though, ive mostly been in there for kids stuff. im a plus sized girl, and it drives me insane to look for clothes for me at a thrift store, especially a 4 year old tagging along, lol.

there is also that huge one off of 35, near walzem, that we've been to a few times.

i dont have time to go as often as i used to though, in high school and before baby, scrounging thrift stores was one of my favorite pass times smile.gif

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#28 of 320 Old 11-24-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post

there is a thrift town on nacogdoches and thousand oaks that is decent, and i regularly get $5 off of $15 coupons in the mail.i think they have a few locations. last time i went he ended up with like 7 pairs of pants, a couple of shorts and shirts, a toy and wool harley motorcycle hat for $11 and some change after the coupon. i havent really looked in depth at the other stuff though, ive mostly been in there for kids stuff. im a plus sized girl, and it drives me insane to look for clothes for me at a thrift store, especially a 4 year old tagging along, lol.
there is also that huge one off of 35, near walzem, that we've been to a few times.
i dont have time to go as often as i used to though, in high school and before baby, scrounging thrift stores was one of my favorite pass times smile.gif

Add me to the SA thrift shoppers list - I live 2 blocks from the one you mentioned on 35. Go there all the time and it is my FAV store - BTW Black Friday they are doing half off everything. There are plus sections if you know where to look - tricky but they are there. 

#29 of 320 Old 11-24-2011, 05:21 AM

Alright, I'll be checking these places out.  Crossing my fingers and I'll make sure I know my exits!

#30 of 320 Old 11-25-2011, 09:11 AM

Ours had a nice black friday sale today.  Opened at regular hours, too, so I popped in with my kids at 9 am. :)

Got a garbage bag full of good quality clothing in great condition (some new with tags) for $25.  That includes 3 pairs of boy jeans, 1 pr boy khakis, a christmas plaid shirt for one of my boys, a maternity shirt, a fantastic postpartum dress that has a crossover front I can use for nursing, 2 shirts for me for after baby comes, CP socks, a CP tie, brand new baby girl outfit, another girl outfit.  The tie alone (from Children's Place) was originally $7.49, marked down to $5.99 on the store tag, and then .49c is what I got it for. :)  The new baby outfit didn't have the price on the tag, but I know it was more than the $1.50 I got it for. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page