Thrift Score! - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Frugality & Finances > Thrift Score!
kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 03:27 PM 10-29-2011

I searched and couldn't find a thread for this, so here we go. :-)

Share your awesome scores at the thrift store, consignment shop, garage sales or yard sales! If you got a great deal on something this is the place to brag about it.

I haven't gotten around to the thrift stores a whole lot recently, but a few weeks ago we got out and I got four like-new books for $4.00 -

How to Potty Train Your Monster by Kelly S. Dipuccio and Michael Moon

The City Parent Handbook by Kathy Bishop

Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities & Occasional Moments of Grace by Ayelet Waldman

The Story of Sushi: An Unlikely Saga of Raw Fish & Rice by Trevor Corson

Thursday Girl's Avatar Thursday Girl 03:31 PM 10-29-2011

jut got a nice kids bike, with elbow and knee pads and bike gloves for $13.00, then when we were getting in the car saw a guy donating a little tykes cozy coupe, asked to buy it off him and he gave it to me.

frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 07:59 PM 10-29-2011

Not a thrift shop score, but I got 6 50 count boxes of diabetic strips, brand new, off thredup for $16. 

Bokonon's Avatar Bokonon 08:17 PM 10-29-2011

I got a solid oak armoire for $30 at a thrift store, then primed and painted it and she is a gorgeous addition to my playroom!

Dar's Avatar Dar 09:52 PM 10-29-2011
Our new goodwill outlet is awesome. It's .79 a pound for all clothes and shoes, and so far I've gotten two pairs of Doc Martens in good condition - they look new after some polish , a pair of Uggs that have some damage at the top but are warm and wearable, a full-length all-leather Banana Republic coat, a few Banana Republic sweaters in great condition, and on, and on... I've never paid more than $10, for a full cart.
MrsHin2002's Avatar MrsHin2002 06:32 AM 10-30-2011
I just bought a brand new (in sealed box) Medela Harmony manual breastpump for $20 Cdn from kijiji, which sells for $65+tax at Toys R Us smile.gif I was (and still am) pretty pleased with myself for this one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
laura163's Avatar laura163 07:30 AM 10-30-2011

I got a pair of J Crew cords for myself for $1.49, a J Jill wrap shirt for $1.49, a long sleeved Land's End shirt for $1.49 and a pair of Talbots trouser jeans for $1.49.  2 complete outfits for $6!!! Last Tuesday was great, I wonder what good stuff will be at Goodwill this Tuesday!

amydidit's Avatar amydidit 07:22 PM 10-30-2011

I got a South Pole coat for DD2 for $7 and a London Fog coat for DD3 for $6 at the Arc.

Our thrift stores generally suck around here. We don't even have a Goodwill anymore. But sometimes there are good deals at Arc.

crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy 03:20 PM 10-31-2011
Some of my recent finds:

A 100% wool blanket for $4 ($100 new)

Keens for me, great condition, $8 ($80 new)

I kind of live at the thrift store. bag.gif I go several times a week (different stores in the area). Just reading this thread makes me want to go again NOW!!!
amydidit's Avatar amydidit 07:39 PM 11-04-2011

I just realized I got another really good find and hadn't known it. I bought a pair of shoes for $4. Really comfy, nice looking. Figured they were from Target or something. Nope. They are Merrell.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 09:55 PM 11-20-2011

I've scored some good deals recently - 

Two cases of quart canning jars - free from my aunt in law. 

Things That Go by Richard Scarry and The Companion to Narnia by Paul F. Ford - free from Bookmooch

Two Halloween picture frames (black text on white background with Halloween words/phrases) - $1.00 each at Goodwill.

Three packages of glitter - $0.24 each at Evil Big Box Store.

Two mini Halloween hole punches - $0.24 each at EBBS.

Six sets of Halloween cards (8 cards per package - three Frankenstein heads with a Domo-style graphic and three black with white "boo" lettering) - $0.10 each at EBBS. 

1 package of Halloween scrapbook paper - $0.24 at EBBS.

1 Creative Cuts Child and Doll Apron kit - $5.00 at EBBS (Christmas gift for my niece who's getting an American Girl doll from her grandparents).

ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 10:31 PM 11-20-2011
we got a looks like new bread maker and a ton of books for free this weekend... kept some books, and got $20 for the rest at half price books smile.gif
zebra15's Avatar zebra15 10:38 PM 11-20-2011

I just found about about Bookmooch.   This looks like a great site.  I was on paperbackswap years ago.  Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I've scored some good deals recently - 

Two cases of quart canning jars - free from my aunt in law. 

Things That Go by Richard Scarry and The Companion to Narnia by Paul F. Ford - free from Bookmooch

Two Halloween picture frames (black text on white background with Halloween words/phrases) - $1.00 each at Goodwill.

Three packages of glitter - $0.24 each at Evil Big Box Store.

Two mini Halloween hole punches - $0.24 each at EBBS.

Six sets of Halloween cards (8 cards per package - three Frankenstein heads with a Domo-style graphic and three black with white "boo" lettering) - $0.10 each at EBBS. 

1 package of Halloween scrapbook paper - $0.24 at EBBS.

1 Creative Cuts Child and Doll Apron kit - $5.00 at EBBS (Christmas gift for my niece who's getting an American Girl doll from her grandparents).

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:16 AM 11-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I just found about about Bookmooch.   This looks like a great site.  I was on paperbackswap years ago.  Thanks for the link!

You're welcome. :-) You can find some real gems on there if you're willing to search, and it's a great way to exchange books. Extended barter is great; I wish I could find more sites that work in a similar way. 

frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 12:40 PM 11-21-2011

Quote:

You're welcome. :-) You can find some real gems on there if you're willing to search, and it's a great way to exchange books. Extended barter is great; I wish I could find more sites that work in a similar way. 

Thredup is a clothing / toy swap site, works similar to bookmooch. I LOVE swapping things. 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 02:23 PM 11-21-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Thredup is a clothing / toy swap site, works similar to bookmooch. I LOVE swapping things. 

Thredup does look neat but it's not straight barter. :-( The shipping fee is what kind of kills the deal - you automatically have to pay about $20 per box. I suppose getting the credits back for shipping boxes out would offset it a little bit. 

frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 04:26 PM 11-21-2011

Quote:

Thredup does look neat but it's not straight barter. :-( The shipping fee is what kind of kills the deal - you automatically have to pay about $20 per box. I suppose getting the credits back for shipping boxes out would offset it a little bit. 

Yep - I normally swap 4 boxes, get 1 back in. Helps declutter the house in the process, which I really really need. 

foxsmama's Avatar foxsmama 08:09 PM 11-21-2011

The St. Vinnies in our area had a 50 percent off everything sale last week. I found brand new Merrell hiking shoes for $8, a Hollister winter coat for $4, and a full bag of random hollister, abercrombie, the childrens place, and baby gap clothing for $5.

goldfishkate's Avatar goldfishkate 07:04 PM 11-22-2011

A thrift store by my house has tag sales where certain colors are 75% off or 50% off.  I recently found a brand new Gap pea coat marked $28 but on sale for $7! It's beautiful and warm, and I needed a new coat for winter. Yay! I love thrift stores.

Shakti77's Avatar Shakti77 08:10 PM 11-22-2011

I got the book "Healing with Whole foods" by Paul Pitchford in brand new condition for $2.99 :) It's been on my to buy list for quite sometime now.. Costs $60 to buy new.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 09:02 PM 11-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishkate View Post

A thrift store by my house has tag sales where certain colors are 75% off or 50% off.  I recently found a brand new Gap pea coat marked $28 but on sale for $7! It's beautiful and warm, and I needed a new coat for winter. Yay! I love thrift stores.

That is a killer deal!

Aeress's Avatar Aeress 01:13 PM 11-23-2011

Thrift scores-

Snow pants for dd, in great condition $2

Glass jar, silver candle holder, and silver basket for decorating -2

Skirt for dd- 2.00 it is adorable, black, red and yellow check with a bow

3 new hats 2.00

Magazine holders- 4-1.00

Bulletin board- New 1.00

Construction Paper 2 packs 1.00

Kids Books- 5 for 1.00

Gift for DD, "vet" bag, and "vet" coat 3.00

Imakcerka 01:32 PM 11-23-2011

I so wish I could do this.  I just seriously dislike shopping so much I can't make myself look through the racks.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 02:37 PM 11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I so wish I could do this.  I just seriously dislike shopping so much I can't make myself look through the racks.

I will admit that digging through the clothing really tries my patience most of the time. Though I hate clothing shopping to begin with. But the rest of it is just like a treasure hunt to me. We do NOT do Black Friday shopping at all ever, but I am thinking of popping over to the thrift store this year. Definitely a different monster than shopping BF at the big boxes, and I don't see any other day I'll have free soon. I'm hoping to score a set of 4-6 plain matching highballs so I can make my husband a set of etched beer glasses - either a Viking helmet or long boat; which ever masking tape stencil looks better. If they both come out awful, I'll etch "skal". But I digress... 

Imakcerka 04:19 PM 11-23-2011

What thrift stores do you go to?  I'm in SA too, but I can't find any good ones around here. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post

we got a looks like new bread maker and a ton of books for free this weekend... kept some books, and got $20 for the rest at half price books smile.gif

crunchy_mommy's Avatar crunchy_mommy 04:30 PM 11-23-2011
Quote:

It is a bit of a nightmare and the first few times I tried thrift shopping it was really tough for me, too much disorganization & I was on visual overload! But after finding several good deals it gets really addicting. I don't usually go through the clothes, that just pushes my limits way too much and I don't generally buy clothes anyway because it's not in my budget. I stick to mostly toys, housewares, and shoes. The other day I got a cute pair of Bogs boots for $10 (they sell from $80-100+) -- I really needed some kind of waterproof boot for playing with DS in the rain & snow, and these are perfect!
ashleyhaugh's Avatar ashleyhaugh 10:12 PM 11-23-2011
Quote:

What thrift stores do you go to?  I'm in SA too, but I can't find any good ones around here. 

there is a thrift town on nacogdoches and thousand oaks that is decent, and i regularly get $5 off of $15 coupons in the mail.i think they have a few locations. last time i went he ended up with like 7 pairs of pants, a couple of shorts and shirts, a toy and wool harley motorcycle hat for $11 and some change after the coupon. i havent really looked in depth at the other stuff though, ive mostly been in there for kids stuff. im a plus sized girl, and it drives me insane to look for clothes for me at a thrift store, especially a 4 year old tagging along, lol.

there is also that huge one off of 35, near walzem, that we've been to a few times.

i dont have time to go as often as i used to though, in high school and before baby, scrounging thrift stores was one of my favorite pass times smile.gif
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 02:28 AM 11-24-2011

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post

there is a thrift town on nacogdoches and thousand oaks that is decent, and i regularly get $5 off of $15 coupons in the mail.i think they have a few locations. last time i went he ended up with like 7 pairs of pants, a couple of shorts and shirts, a toy and wool harley motorcycle hat for $11 and some change after the coupon. i havent really looked in depth at the other stuff though, ive mostly been in there for kids stuff. im a plus sized girl, and it drives me insane to look for clothes for me at a thrift store, especially a 4 year old tagging along, lol.
there is also that huge one off of 35, near walzem, that we've been to a few times.
i dont have time to go as often as i used to though, in high school and before baby, scrounging thrift stores was one of my favorite pass times smile.gif

Add me to the SA thrift shoppers list - I live 2 blocks from the one you mentioned on 35. Go there all the time and it is my FAV store - BTW Black Friday they are doing half off everything. There are plus sections if you know where to look - tricky but they are there. 

Imakcerka 06:21 AM 11-24-2011

Alright, I'll be checking these places out.  Crossing my fingers and I'll make sure I know my exits!

cappuccinosmom's Avatar cappuccinosmom 10:11 AM 11-25-2011

Ours had a nice black friday sale today.  Opened at regular hours, too, so I popped in with my kids at 9 am. :)

Got a garbage bag full of good quality clothing in great condition (some new with tags) for $25.  That includes 3 pairs of boy jeans, 1 pr boy khakis, a christmas plaid shirt for one of my boys, a maternity shirt, a fantastic postpartum dress that has a crossover front I can use for nursing, 2 shirts for me for after baby comes, CP socks, a CP tie, brand new baby girl outfit, another girl outfit.  The tie alone (from Children's Place) was originally $7.49, marked down to $5.99 on the store tag, and then .49c is what I got it for. :)  The new baby outfit didn't have the price on the tag, but I know it was more than the $1.50 I got it for. :)

1 2  3  ... Last

Up