Getting Out of Debt in NOVEMBER! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-01-2011, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you want to get out of debt? Start living on a budget? Be able to start saving? Then this is the thread for you! Some of us use Dave Ramsey's method but please join us even if you're following someone else/your own plan. All are welcome!

Here's DR's plan:

Pre-Step 1: Get current on your debts and do a budget
0.1 No new borrowing.
0.2 Talk with spouse and get him/her on the same page as you concerning finances.
0.3 Do a written budget
0.4 Temporarily stop all retirement contributions
0.5 Get current on all the basics (Shelter, Food, Utilities, Basic clothing)
0.6 Amputate "toys" (bikes, boats, ATV's etc) to help snowball
0.7 Cut lifestyle (Cut cable, cell, extras, eating out) and/or get a second job to raise $1000 EF.
0.8 Get current on ALL bills

BS1 $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund
1.1 Chop up/freeze CC's (You have an EF now)
1.2 Get Health insurance NOW if in the US
1.3 Get Life insurance NOW if you have considerable debt/your family couldn't make it financially if you died.
1.4 Amputate cars that you can't pay off within 24 months

BS2 Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball
2.0 Do the debt snowball, paying all your debts from lowest BALANCE to highest.

BS3 Three to six months of expenses in savings
3.1 Start car replacement fund
3.2 Save up 20% for home purchase OR pay down existing mortgage to the point you can drop PMI.
3.3 Start furniture or other non-essential stuff replacement fund

BS4 Invest 15 percent of household income for retirement

BS5 College funding for children

BS6 Pay off home early

BS7 Build wealth and give! Invest in mutual funds and real estate

Here's the link to Dave Ramsey's website: http://www.daveramsey.com or if you want a good DR discussion forum, http://www.llnoe.com is good but hardcore. Gail vax Oxlade's Til Debt do Us Part is great tv show, very motivating. Her website is: http://gailvazoxlade.com/blog Others like Suze Orman or Mary Hunt, really doesn't matter whose method you use, just start the process to getting out of debt

Welcome.gif

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#2 of 25 Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Boy are you on the ball!

BS3 here.  Slowly adding to our car replacement fund.  DH's dropping income seems to have bottomed.  We have just enough to cover our budget, and no more.  I can still spend less than he makes and save, but the saving doesn't really feel like savings because it is all earmarked for either an annual bill, the car replacement, or birthday/Christmas gifts.  Oh well, we're making progress!  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#3 of 25 Old 11-01-2011, 01:20 PM

BS2 here.  Started our debt snowball just last month.  Did our first written budget for October, and actually stuck to it well enough to be able to make our second debt snowball payment yesterday.  Usually when I do our loan payments (all student debt) I feel like such a shmuck remembering all that that irresponsible spending as a college student.  Writing my debt snowball check was different.   I finally felt like we were taking control of the situation.  It was a blow for freedom!!!  DH and I were smiling for the rest of the night.  We are enriched in far more ways than just the money we didn't spend frivolously.  I guess it's good we're getting momentum now.  We're in for a long haul.

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#4 of 25 Old 11-01-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkaJones View Post

It was a blow for freedom!!! 

AWESOME!! thumbsup.gif

It's amazing how taking control of your finances spreads to the rest of your life too...

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#5 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 AM

Still plugging away here smile.gif

#6 of 25 Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

This month's tight for us- absolutely NO wiggle room, so we'll see how we do....we've been slacking off lately.

#7 of 25 Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM

We had a pretty good month in October, up until the last week or so. DH was working extra shifts and we seemed to have a lot of "extra" money. Late in Oct we had to go to an immigration interview for DH which I thought was on the other side of LA, so we rented a zipcar for the day only to realize that the appointment wasn't actually downtown but closer to Beverly Hills, which would have been a reasonable trip by bus. Oh well, we had already reserved the car for the full 24 hours and couldn't cancel without paying nearly as much as the original reservation. So we decided to take advantage of the car and hit up Target for some Christmas shopping. We put it all on DH's card ($344!) planning to pay it off at the end of the month.

Well about a week later we received notice that a non-profit organization with which we'd signed up last January had found us an affordable apartment in Santa Monica. We went to see it the next day and LOVED the apartment and location, so we put $100 down to hold it til Nov 30th and I guess we're moving!! This is great great news for us, but also complicated and could get expensive because we are currently in a lease til April 30th, so we'll have to break it and pay penalties. Also we're living with my brother, who may or may not make this transition more difficult than it has to be, I don't know.

So we're suddenly in SAVE SAVE SAVE mode. Then DH's last check in Oct was short over $250, and my EDD payment of about $250 was delayed for typographical errors on the continued claim form, and suddenly we're in a bit of a crunch, money wise. We have the funds in an ING account, but I'm trying not to touch that unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. So the restricted cash-flow has kind of been a good thing, psychologically, to get us back on track as far as the budget goes. We've already paid the $344 down to $250, but we also have about $150 on our Old Navy card. Those two cards have high interest rates, so I'm motivated to pay them off in full before the due dates later this month. But the rest of our credit card debt that we have (~$3500) is at 0% til 2013, so we're dropping those payments down to the minimum in order to save up cash for the move.

I'm hoping that the move goes smoothly and that we can recoup our "losses" from it quickly. I'm so so excited to finally have our own apartment for just my little family, though. EEE!!!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#8 of 25 Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 PM

Subbing will check in soon

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#9 of 25 Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 AM

BS1 for us.  We are going to be here for a while.  But I thought we were going to have to pay the house payment late this month and we managed to scrap it together which means we'll have a little extra next paycheck to stick away.thumb.gif

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#10 of 25 Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM

So, I'm in one of the cities with an "Occupy" going, and just walked through the tent city.  A lot of them are advocating pulling money out of banks in order to decrease their control on society... it seems to me that debt is actually the way financial institutions control society.  Can you imagine if the entire country just payed off their personal debt, then had all the money currently going to minimum payments left to reinvest in their communities? 

visions of utopia

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#11 of 25 Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM

kittieh - Great news on your new apartment!  Hope everything gets back on track the way you want it!

Anka - I agree!  Wouldn't it be even better if our federal government took its debt more seriously, too?

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#12 of 25 Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

*knock on wood*

We've been doing really well during this super tight month. We've eaten out more than I'd like to admit (1-2/week) but being pregnant and exhausted and having food aversions, I'm being gentle on myself for that. Eating out wasn't in the budget but we've still done it on cash because some things we did budget for aren't going to be needed this month (e.g. clothing and I forget what else).

How's November going for the rest of you?

#13 of 25 Old 11-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Well my work is mostly seasonal with few hours over the winter months.  I have been looking for alternatie work even if it is just seasonal, with no sucess.  This time of year I take extra care to budget & meal plan & to make sure we can make ends meet before I sit down & pay any extra toward the CC bill.  I finally feel like we are in reach of our goals.  But I know that this winter will be tough, as they always are.  I'm actually havnig a good time trying to make pinching pennies a hobby, & challenging myself to do better!     

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#14 of 25 Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 PM

I was doing really well this month until last weekend, when I had leisure time.  Totally fell off the horse.  I sat down and reworked the budget, though, and while this month will be extremely tight for the rest of the month, we should be able to make our goals.  Another challenge is that DH is on a business trip, and I'm watching money fly out of the account... it'll all get reimbursed and it's just coming out of the cushion specifically for that purpose, but given how much effort we put in to save a couple bucks, watching a $50-100 business dinner come out is traumatic!  I guess it's a good sign.  If opening my wallet triggers pain receptors, I figure I'm less likely to do it.

In good news, I'm doing a lot of OT for the rest of the month, so my leisure time issue will probably be less of a problem.  I hate being away from DS this much, but if I keep this up for a year or so I'll be able to spend a lot more time with him.

Anka

#15 of 25 Old 11-14-2011, 03:52 PM

we are spending our first week in the RV! Lots of changes and start up cost involved. I'm hoping that we get our permanent spot here shortly. That will save a ton. I'm excited to post updates here as we make some headway. I think I am going to check out TTMM again and reread it just to get fired up. Or should I say gazelle intense!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#16 of 25 Old 11-16-2011, 05:52 PM

Our homebirth turned into a hospital birth.  We have NO wiggle room for that. nut.gif

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#17 of 25 Old 11-17-2011, 11:11 AM

We were able to take our kids out for the day for Veteran's Day thanks to an awesome discount for families and free admission for hubby at the aquarium.  We also visited the nearby Submarine museum and then were able to go out to dinner with ca$h!   Also picked up 2 extra shifts at work this week which will help a lot.  Can't believe the holidays are creeping up so quickly!

PaigeKitten, It's great that you were able to pay the house payment on time - what a great feeling!  Sorry that your plans have changed but I hope it all works out and that you have a wonderful birth and a healthy little one.

#18 of 25 Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Coming out of lurk-dom to join in.  I'd definitely be in the early pre-steps.  Been chatting to DP about budgeting and such. 

Can anyone recommend a good Excel template to start out?  I tried to create my own, but ended up confusing myself!!

We're doing some "toy" amputation as well. 

My main focus at the moment is bringing all of our bills up to date.  This is the first time we have been behind like this.  I've had to have a lot of time off work in the last 18 months of so, for one reason or another.  Add to that the medical expenses, and us probably not tightening our belts the way we should have, we've ended up here.  I've contacted all the companies, and made arrangements to have everything paid up to date by the end of December.  After that, the only thing we'll have outstanding is our CC debt, which is also not pretty, but that is next on the list. 

In the mean time, I am looking into options to transfer the CC debt to a lower interest card or loan, but I'm worried that won't be possible because a) our credit has probably been affected by the recent defaults, and b) I've only been back at work properly for 2 months, and most won't loan to you until you have 3-6 months in one job.  I'm currently looking for a better paying job, with more hours, so then I will be starting all over again anyway. 

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16**20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#19 of 25 Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, milk8shake. It sounds like you're on the right track! DH made our excel template, but I find I still prefer paper (and it's so messed up and personal that it wouldn't be worth sharing). You can find budget templates if you search in excel.

QUESTION:

-Do any of you have Christmas plans? DS and DH are easy, but I usually try to do something little for extended family (5 brothers and wives, 10 neices and nephews). In the past I've done cinnamon stick christmas tree ornaments (where you rip strips of green fabric and tie them around cinnamon sticks to make little christmas trees with allspice balls), ball ornaments (snowman handprints with a poem), personalized egg cups.

#20 of 25 Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM

We're going to be pretty low key this year.  DS is too young to remember (or, for that matter, need much in the way of presents), and I can get paid a lot for overtime.  Basically, I'm scheduled for OT throughout the season.  It's a little bit of a glum way to spend the holiday, but we're trying to have all of our debt paid off by next Christmas (and there's a lot of it), so we'll have a glum Christmas this year to have a totally awesome, debt-free Christmas next year.  As far as gifts, we're doing kids only, and will probably be sending checks as they're mostly older.  Speaking of which, last year we did those little gift cards that look like credit cards -- I would totally avoid those for anyone thinking about them.  The kids like them, but they cost a lot of money!  We didn't realize it until we had already checked out. 

Given all of that, we're going to try to do some holiday cheer.  We've got a Christmas tree, some ornaments from years past.  I'm painting wooden blocks for DS, as well as sewing some soft blocks from scrap fabric.  I'm also scouring Craigs List and freecycle for some kind of push toy or wagon or something which I think he'll like over the next few months.

Best,

Anka

#21 of 25 Old 11-21-2011, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'm working over Christmas too, we don't have any major plans, so I might as well get the good penalty rates while I can.  It's not that fun to be working, and it will be really quiet and boring at work, but oh well!

We'll still decorate, and do Christmas lunch with the family.  Aside from that, just try and catch up with friends in the down time.

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16**20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#22 of 25 Old 11-22-2011, 01:25 AM

Love the updates!

We are in the process of buying our first house!!!! Crazy, we are buying in Germany so are dealing with the exchange rates, strange fees, etc. so I am completely stressed out about the whole thing. Not to mention my crazy separate savings accounts are not easily accessible (on purpose) so I am trying to make sure I have enough in my temporary account to cashflow all the fees that will be coming in.

Christmas: We have not lived with our "stuff" for almost a year now, so I plan on giving the kids a big group gift (play stands, already purchased) and calling it good. My family is in fits about this and calling me Scrooge, but I could care less--the kids will be thrilled to see their old toys right around Christmas time, and I think that will be more than enough. joy.gif

Unfortunately, we have also accrued even more debt since moving 2whistle.gif A truly huge amount, mostly our new car but also two separate private loans. So we will have four large loans, including the house loan and we have been debt free for years--I am officially rejoining this thread!

Debt 1--290,000 House loan 3.8% interest

Debt 2--38,000 Car Loan 2.8% interest

Debt 3--10,000 Private Loan (will be paid by 9/2012) 0% interest

Debt 4--20,000 Private Loan (would like to pay by 9/2012) 3% interest

We are able to pre-pay our mortgage 5% per year and plan on doing so. This account is almost funded for payment in the beginning of 2013 (first year we can pre-pay) so I will hold that there for emergency or hopefully to just pre-pay.

My plan is to pay Debt 4 by sending in checks of $3000, as soon as I can save that amount and by paying $500 monthly to the debt. I will have to aggressively save and pay this to reach the goal of having both Debt 3&4 paid next September, but if we do we will have so much more wiggle room freed up. I think I will join the no-spend thread also, but really my options will be limited as I will have two small children and no car at home and am not much of an Internet shopper (we buy needed things 2-3 times a year, but I have no patience for shopping via the web so luckily that will probably not be my downfall)

#23 of 25 Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 AM

Not ten minutes after I posted my status, the bank called to state we need $10,000 more than I had understood they wanted as a security deposit! Frick-frackity language barrier. Yikes, that changes almost all my plans :-( We are still going ahead with the house, but will need a new goal for debt, as there is just no way to pay it back in time now.

#24 of 25 Old 11-24-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oy!

Is this international move a long-term thing?

It seems you're handling it well, it will just mean some flexibility in pay-back dates. That's an ambitious goal, but certainly doable, especially if this move benefits you financially in the long-term.

Good Luck!! :)

#25 of 25 Old 12-02-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post

Oy!

Is this international move a long-term thing?

It seems you're handling it well, it will just mean some flexibility in pay-back dates. That's an ambitious goal, but certainly doable, especially if this move benefits you financially in the long-term.

Good Luck!! :)

We plan to be here for ten years, so yes long term. The house is only financed for ten years, so it will be paid off by then and we will move somewhere else and start over again. I am thinking Italy, but we have ten years to decide :-) I really love that we get to live so many places and travel so much. Feeling very lucky.

We just had our *final* housing inspection, and brought a real housing inspector (this is not normal in Germany). After a ten minute scream fest with the seller he let the inspector in --legally he had to, but he was NOT happy about it. Assuming everything checks out with the inspector, our financing is moving along and we may actually own a house at the end of next week.

And that will be when the real budgeting starts :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page