How much $ do you plan to spend per child THIS holiday season? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lucky for us, there's not much my kids want for holiday gifts this year. Well, they do want expensive lego sets, but a couple of those will be purchased by grandparents. So we're hoping to get away with spending $50 (or less) per child. This would include the money we give them to make a gift to a charity.

I'm just wondering what others are planning to spend. Everyone I know in the "real world" seems to spend a fortune on their kids. One of my friends has four children, and last year she spend $300 to $400 APIECE on them! I don't even know what I'd buy for that kind of money.

Just curious if anyone else is able to "get away" with spending less on their kids. My oldest is 10, and we are VERY lucky he's not into electronics and video games!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Collectively less than 200.  Last year I got away with 100 altogether.  Their list was very short.  No imagination!  No requests for unicorns or ponies!  Somethings wrong with my kids!

#3 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 AM

My kids are all teens and because of a job relocation, after this school year we are moving across the country at the end of the school year.  So I am overcompensating by getting them some things from the area we live in now.  So, about $200 a piece x 3.

#4 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My goal will be $100. Hopefully all of Christmas for under $300 (including food, tree, baking, any other family gifts, teachers, babysitter, etc.).

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#5 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 AM

i could totally spend $400+ on ds if i had the money. there is so much cool stuff i know hed love. i also know it would be majorly overwhelming, lol. but so much fun to shop smile.gif

i got him 2 things he really wanted, and they were on sale,and i had coupons, so i got both for like $35. thats probably gonna be it except for his stocking stuffers, a book or 2, and the customary christmas pj's. he also really really wants a pillow pet, so im going to try and swing one of those too

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#6 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Probably under $50.  She wants a used ds game or two, needs some mittens and hats, and I will make her a stocking with earrings and bindis, lip glosses and candy.  

We spend the holidays with family and they go absolutely insane with the presents so dh and I can get away with only getting her a few things. 

flowersforyou.gif

#7 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 12:15 PM

we've budgeted $500 for gifts (for our 4 boys, and my niece/nephew) - $100 of that will be for our boys to select a charitable giving opportunity for.  We're doing a joint giff for all 4 of them (wii rockband) and then they all need new sneakers (except the youngest, he needs snow boots) so it's a bit more than usual since we'll be getting that as gifts.

#8 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Well both kids want ipod touch this year so that eat up their entire budget already (it's usually $200 for each kid, sometimes less).  DH says those are never on sale.  This will probably be the last year they get free stuff from Santa, though. :)

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#9 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 PM

I wish I was spending $200, but in all reality (after estimating online earlier today), it's looking like $500. I'm guessing you can say I'm going all out, but this is our first Christmas together (hubby, the babe and I) because we've celebrated with family, deployments or moving so much, and I haven't celebrated Christmas (decorations, lights, wrapped presents) at all since her birth, it just felt lonely. Most of the gifts are books for us (at least 10) and "starter toys" that should last approx 5- 10 years. I myself am a holistic/ waldorfy mama, so much of the gifts are of quality (wood/ natural).

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#10 of 151 Old 11-20-2011, 07:21 PM

I made the list today and while it's short the under-the-tree items will probably cost about $135. That doesn't include the stocking stuffers which may end up being another $40. I may be able to trim it if I can find good sales. I wish I could do under $100 but I don't think I can reach that goal. The list does include a new sheet set and a new pillow, which is much needed anyway. I am wondering if I can get any good Black Friday online deals for the sheets and the Lego set he wants. There is no one else to buy him anything of quality, so it's all up to us. And I am not one to buy a $50 lego set if it's not a special occasion so I save these things for Christmas. DH just scored a $20 used guitar for him but already gave it to him. That would have been a great Santa gift.

#11 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 05:32 AM

I have no idea! My daughter has a very lengthy list--at 3 years old! I'm trying to find stuff used in EUC, but the things she's asked for I can't find anywhere on CL or in thrift stores, ugh. Luckily, a lot of her requests are big ticket items that are going to be on major sale on Black Friday ;). My son is only 19 months and is probably going to be less than $100.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#12 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 AM

I don't know ... the ONLY thing my 9 year old son wants is an IPAD II. I don't think kids need this kind of expensive item or technology, but this is alllllll he is asking for. When he was 4 or 5 he had a short list of 3-hole secret agent hat, secret agent pants. So sweet and inexpensive.

My daughter, 21 mths, approx $100. - a rocking sheep to sit on and little felt food, a crocheted toy (from etsy).

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#13 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 AM

I won an ipad from work and it is really  cool.  I think the difference between the original and the 2 is the camera. So if he isn't skyping he probably would be just as happy with the (hopefully lots cheaper) orignial. My friend has the 2 and says it is so big that taking pictures with it is really awkward.

#14 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 AM

Thank you for the IPAD review!!!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#15 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Personally, I'll be spending about $20 each, plus maybe $5 or $10 more for stocking stuffers.  We've always tried to keep the gifts modest, and they will be getting many other gifts from grandparents and aunts.  Plus, they are too young for the expensive electronic stuff.

Mommel likes this.
#16 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 AM

I'll probably end up around $100 for each child, ages 1 and 3.  I decided to do the something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read thing that someone on here posted.  They will also get a Santa gift too.  I just go DS the "something to read" yesterday at Target.  A Tag Jr. reader and 2 books for $11!   The bulk of the money will be spent on new train track pieces, DS wants Cranky the Crane and a water tower for his train set.  I've been checking our CL, but I haven't had any luck for those pieces.

Mama to three

#17 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

You all must have little kids.  Once they get older (tweens and teens) things seem to get $$.  Plus not having family is a problem at times like this.(means I'm the only one to buy stuff for DS)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#18 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 PM

About $70.00, not including the two Christmas books I have already bought. I wanted her (and soon to be DS) to have a great copy of Twas the night before Christmas and Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas. I dont really consider those gifts though, since Ill pack them up and they wont come out until Christmas next year.

We are making these two things:

http://brandyscrafts.blogspot.com/2011/01/wooden-peg-sorting-matching-dolls.html

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/how-to/how-to-build-a-play-kitchen-from-ikea-components-066719

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#19 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 PM

We were going to spend around $100 on dd this year but our car needs expensive repairs so we are cutting back on Christmas spending.

I might just have her pick one item from her list to get. The most expensive thing she listed was $50.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#20 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Including stocking stuffers (I tend to go overboard here, because I just love stuffing stockings), and shipping for a few things, I'd guess we'll come in somewhere between $150-$200 per child. Prices for consumer goods tend to be quite a bit higher in Canada than in the US, though. I have old paperbacks with a US price of $3.99 and a Canadian price of $6.99 or $7.99, and there are a lot of items that end up being priced that way.

The kids each get three gifts from me and dh (one of them is "from Santa"), plus a stocking. Then, we sometimes add a group gift, such as a new batch of Lego or a board game or a DVD.

DS1 is almost 19, and he only wants a few things, but they're expensive. (His top three items are a laptop, mostly for school, a set of weights, and an iPod.) We're going to do our best to give him presents he really likes, and can really use, but without breaking the bank.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 PM

About $100 per kid. But I would be surprised if it is that much considering we have either gotten used, upcycled or clearance deals. Right now, the most expensive item is dd's American Girl doll, she really, really wants it.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#22 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

You all must have little kids.  Once they get older (tweens and teens) things seem to get $$.  Plus not having family is a problem at times like this.(means I'm the only one to buy stuff for DS)

Yes, my kids are still fairly young: 10, 7 and 4. So that does save us a lot! Plus, we are fortunate that there are a lot of grandparents who like to spoil our kids with gifts. My mother spends at least $100 per kid, so that is a huge help! (Of course, she doesn't always get them gifts on the  list... but that's a whole other issue.)

#23 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 03:50 PM

I'm aiming for ~$80 each.  I'm figuring $30 for the gift from us, $20 for a joint gift from their sibs, $15 from the pajama fairy (yeah, started that when we only had one...now we have 6!) and $15 for stockings.  I'm working on making a number of gifts (some for the kids, many for extended family.)  We really try to emphasize activities: sledding day with family, going out to cut the Christmas tree, caroling, etc... 

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#24 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I would think closer to $150-200 per kid.  We usually get one big gift for each child, plus books, art supplies, a small toy for the stocking, new pj's, maybe a warm fleece or hat.  It doesn't seem extravagant Christmas morning, everything under the tree gets worn or used all year long.  

We don't buy a lot during the year and the grandparents do not give gifts at all.  Not for birthdays or holidays.  We seem to come from a long line of Scrooges.  greensad.gif  So it all falls to us.  In some ways, it makes it easier on me.  I don't have to deal with an influx of plastic crap.  But then, I do spend more since I am the only one buying.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#25 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Well, both daughters (ages 5 and 8) want American Girl dolls (dolls plus "starter set" accessories) and each are $180. I am thinking this is crazy, but also thinking this is all they will get from DH and me. Well, plus Christmas Eve pj's and a few small stocking items. So maybe $200 per child? Does anyone know if AG does free shipping on Black Friday? Oh, and we do not buy toys/presents for the girls except at Christmas and birthdays. Plus...they play dolls ALL THE TIME together - school, hospital, etc. Still, DH is not completely on board, and it feels very extravagant.

#26 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 05:05 PM

my DD wanted the american girl doll but I just can't support such a greedy company! What business    do they have charging that much money for a DOLL? I got her two madam alexander dolls and extra outfits instead and she was sooooo happy!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#27 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 06:50 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

probably $250--$300 each.  But I have older children. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#28 of 151 Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 PM

We will be keeping it under $50. DS isn't quite 2 yet and doesn't expect anything anyway. He loves cars, so we are planning on getting him a few hotwheels cars and a track, a stuffed kitty, and a couple of board books. 

slingtwin.gif Mummy to DS1, 3, hola.gif twins DD and DS2, and wife to DH asl.gif

#29 of 151 Old 11-22-2011, 05:26 AM

American Girl- The first one that entered our home was purchased by a Grandmother who always wanted to have a daughter, so, the money was never an issue. I do agree that American Girl is greedy, and the quality isn't what it was when it was owned by Pleasent. However, since her sister's now have dolls, my youngest sees them and how much fun they are, and wants one. In my kids defense, they do play with them a lot and they aren't particular about having all the stuff that you can buy for the dolls. They also have knock off brand dolls and they love them just as much.

I am also making several homemade gifts, which is why I imagine their Christmas gifts will be much less- dd9 is getting a pirate outfit for her AG doll, a pirate map, and flag that I made. DD7 is getting a child sized dog house, she loves animals. SHe is also getting a pillow with pictures of her dogs on it. DD4- still unsure about

I am making my hubby a knit tie, which I know he will love and a t-shirt.

The grandparents are getting clay plaques for their front door. We made these for very cheap at our local pottery place.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#30 of 151 Old 11-22-2011, 05:33 AM

FYI:  My dd's grandma buys American Girl dolls/clothes on ebay for her for less than half than it would be new.  Usually good condition things, and my 5 yo dd doesn't know the difference.  :)

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page