*~*~*2012 Low Income Support Group*~*~* - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 333 Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Its tough when you feel like DH won't sacrifice :(  

If you can, ordering your supplements online might be cheaper.  I pay about half the price online as I do in the health food store.

#332 of 333 Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Went looking for a place to live today.  Hoping I'm 'close enough' to my eviction falling off the records that it wont matter.  Hoping that the fact I have an offer letter is good enough.  (Ive had employment all along just not full time).  Hoping the salary is enough to please the landlord.   Furniture??  HA!  thats a joke... we don't need furniture.. I'm just happy with the view  ;)

I guess I should do the online application and worry about everything else later.

It's close enough for DS to walk to swim club.  Has a beautiful view of the club, lake, golf course, is 2nd floor and is QUIET.  I'm all about the zen this year.  peace, quiet, all that.

Oh and its affordable.  Way less than the apartments in the same area (like $200 less)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#333 of 333 Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Congrats and GL Zebra! Condolences to those feeling down this season.

I am full of hope for the new year. I think my last post may have been about us buying a house and getting out of the city. Which was wonderful. However, our landlord charged us over $3000 in lease breaking fees and final rent, then tried to charge us another $2000 in "damages". Luckily, I was smart enough to take detailed video of the place before we left, so I sent them a letter that said, basically, "Um, I think not. You'll not get another red cent out of us." So, instead of taking us to court like they would have normally (they are extremely litigious, but they knew they would lose), they just sent us to collections. Collections I can handle.

However, because of the huge expenditure, then the expense of moving, pre pays for garbage service and other utilities, and every little fee, running up things we needed on credit cards... (blush), we got in over our heads on budget. So, we got a shutoff on the electric, went to DHS for SER, and they wouldn't pay it because we'd not paid enough of our electric bill since moving in. So, I had to shop around for assistance, etc, etc, and in the meantime I could no longer ignore our budget deficit. I started selling plasma, which was the MOST HORRENDOUS "job" I've ever had. I was 100% wiped every time I left that place, for about 2 days, until I had to go again. I was asking questions about it and complaining about how bad it was on a FB group to which I belong (that actually started here on Mothering years ago), and they anonymously took up donations to help us! They sent us $500 by paypal, just all of a sudden. I was flabbergasted! I broke down crying, and decided to tape my reaction and a very tearful thank you for them. They all cried, too. (there's some hope in humanity for you)

So, with that boost, and the assistance with the electric bill, we were able to get back on top of our bills (and I was able to quit the plasma place). Our taxes, in just 6 short weeks (fingers crossed!) will get us completely out from under debt. After everything that's hanging over us is paid we will have $1000 more per month than we currently have! Dh will be able to get a car to travel back and forth to work, we'll have a real emergency fund (no more credit backslide!), and we'll even begin saving for other things, like retirement and the odd vacation (dh gets 3 weeks vacation this year. We could go visit his family that we've not seen in 10 years, or go do HS educational trips now and then!). It's so exciting to be THIS close to the end of "Poor." We will never be rich, we will never not be low income, having 5 kids, but we might be comfortable. And that's all we could ask for.

Tip to other homeowners (I know others here do own): I had no idea this was an option, since nobody advertises it, I'm sure. However, at least in MI (check with your local city or twp), if you meet income qualifications you can get a "Poverty Exemption" to your property taxes. We just filed with our township and were approved for 2012 winter taxes and 2013 summer. Depending upon your income, bills and other factors on a several-page application, the twp board makes a decision on what taxes you can afford. Our winter taxes were $2021 before the exemption. After the exemption our winter bill is $120. We turned this new bill and poverty exemption approval in to our lender and it reduced our monthly house payments by almost $200, plus we had an escrow surplus (since we'd been paying in since July) of over $800. We asked them to apply it to our December payment and, thus, skipped our payment for this month. This is an extremely helpful break to our monthly finances.

They did say they see the same people year after year, so it sounds like something you need to apply for yearly, but that it's always something available for which to apply. Hope it helps someone!

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page