*~*~*2012 Low Income Support Group*~*~* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 333 Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Low Income is what you make of it IMO.  Being stretched beyond your means, feeling stretched beyond your means, having a rough month. Anything really.  

With WIC, if you are eligible why not take the food and have someone else in the house eat it?  Can you hubby eat the food?  WIC now should be giving produce vouchers as well. IDK if its lbs or $$ but you get produce.    You can get Peanut Butter OR beans.  Milk, cheese, eggs, juice, cereal and GRAINS (so a type of bread or tortilla)   I received WIC many years ago and traded food with my neighbor, she needed milk and didn't get WIC and then she would give me whatever she got for 'free' with coupons that week.  I also gave my babysitter juice as payment etc.

WIC is there for the family, not just the kids.  Regardless of what the WIC worker tells you ANYONE can consume the WIC items.  Those checks were a life saver most months for me.  5-10 years ago the value was $50-100 a month based on the market sales.  I know things are more expensive now.   What I wouldn't give for an extra $50 a month in basic grocery staples.

I will also add that you can get brown rice for the grain portion.  

I understand the allergy thing.  I've got dairy intolerance plus sugar intolerance.  Their options are a lactose free milk (but I can't consume casein) or a soy milk which has sugar in it. :P  My kids are using the soy so as not cross contaminate my kitchen with milk, but it's not my personal preference.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

This is only semi-related, but I didn't really feel comfy asking it in the homeschooling section as it pertains more to low-income. Hoping someone else here will have some tips or places to look online. 

I home school, and right now online schools like k-12 aren't an option. Neither is public school for a whole load of reasons. DD advanced through 1st grade faster than I expected by far, and now we need 2nd grade materials now instead of in July when I planned. Normally I buy everything through Amazon using swagbucks GC's, but I'm out due to the holidays so that isn't an option right now. We're also switching programs to try to lower her ASD distractions while doing school, so I need just specific materials. We're planning on going with Pathway readers & rod & Staff for most things that we need as they are low cost but it's still way out of my budget of $25. 

Where & how do you find free / low cost materials? I was considering putting in a request to The Book Samaritan - has anyone done that and what was your experience?

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#63 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 AM

Everytime I write a post on here, my phone won't post it, but I think I figured it out now. So I am using this as a test post. If it works, I will do a reintro because it's LONG. lol

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#64 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Success! Anyway, I used to float around here. Dh left in January 2011 and moved 300 miles away. We divorced and didn't really speak until in October when he realized he made a huge mistake and moved back. We started speaking again and he started spending more time with the kids (when he was gone he was seeing DD every other weekend). We stated discussing wha went wrong and realized we were both super stressed out, mostly over finances, and taking it out on each other. We have resolved our differences, and are back together. This was happening right as I was about to lose my apartment. When he moved back, he was sharing a 2 BR apartment with a roommate. So, they offered us a place to stay as well. It's definitely not ideal, there are 2 adults and 2 kids in 1 BR. Right now, he is receiving unemployment, looking for a job, and has a lawyer for his disability case (he is legally blind). So we have acurrent income of $900 a month. Luckily, our portion of rent and utilities is coming to about $250. We have food stamps and I am also searching for a job. His lawyer is confident he will win and it's been 2 years since he first applied. His court date is in about 2 months. The way we understand, he should get about 2 years or backpay, which we plan on using for a house down payment, used car and used furniture.
The only tricky part of this (being divorced and having a child on state insurance) means that the state will be going after him for child support. He is 100% supporting m and his child right now. And when I looked at the website, it says the turnarund from garnishment of a paycheck and when you get a child support check can be 3 weeks. When you are on state assistance, you have no choice but being garnished. 3 weeks is along time to go without the money and I am wondering if they will take into account that he is supporting us. Even if we were still married, we would meet the income guidelines for medical and food assistance. Anyone have ay experience like this?

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#65 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 AM

And I'm sorry that was just one big paragraph, apparently I can't format with my phone.

#66 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Frugalmama- Have you tried Ebay or the used curric sites?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#67 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Where & how do you find free / low cost materials? I was considering putting in a request to The Book Samaritan - has anyone done that and what was your experience?

Have you checked local thrift stores?  Our St. Vincent store has a homeschooling section.  I think, if I were in your situation (and I did used to home school) I would do enrichment until the time I planned to order new curriculum.  Do lots of reading time, nature exploration, home science, whatever.  

Also, you can look into Ambleside Online as a free online curric that you might be able to use to bridge the gap.  http://www.amblesideonline.org/

#68 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Frugalmama-  A couple things.  Are you in a homeschool group?  Lots of moms' use non traditional calendars for school and swap materials all year long?  yahoo groups is a good place to start.  Craigslist sometimes has stuff listed as well.   can you 'make' the equivalent of what you need at home?   My son was/ is unschooled so we didn't use what you are looking for but what about the library?  I am best friends with the children's librarian.  I bet there is something similar to 'pathways' available at the library or they can order it for you.

I just joined Edhelper.com and totally love it for my son.  I only really use it for the language arts part and book review section but it's been a total lifesaver. I can't read as fast as he can and I want/need something quantative at this point on some of his books.  I think it was $20/year.

IDK what your laws are or what your plans are but can you take a break from school?  Do something different for awhile?  There are a million ways to 'count' school if you need to for the state.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#69 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 05:11 PM

This is more of a vent than anything.  Many of you remember that I left my roommate situation before summer and got an apt for DS and myself.  Things are very tight financially and I still don't have a full time job ( and I need to find one soon) but we are hanging on.

My old roommate goes through money like water at niagara falls- IKYKWIM.  Anyway, she called me crying last night that the cable/internet was shut off at her house.  Now her spending on Friday and Saturday before the utility was cut?? Friday $70 for a dog wash/dry.(large dog)  Saturday $100 groceries (no coupons and disregarded sales), $15 fun at Cracker Barrel store.   I went to the grocery with her and got food for TWO people for less than her bill for one person.  She could've washed the dog at home for FREE and she didn't need to buy treats at Cracker Barrel. (Dinner was a free gift card).

I am so sick and tired of hearing that she has NO FRIGGING MONEY.  For them to turn off the internet/cable you need to be 2.5-3 months behind (I have the same service).  The only person she needs to take care of is herself. (well and her dog)   Yes my 2 dogs live there but I buy the food and snacks for them.  (I'm too cheap to pay pet rent here).

My 11 yr old learned a lesson today.  He learned that if you don't pay your bills they will turn off service.  He want's me to assure him that I won't ever let that happen to us.  I promised him I will do my best.  But we need to be fiscally responsible.  That is why mommy uses coupons, shops sales and says NO to some 'wants'.    This is why mommy looks every friggin day for a subbing job.  This is why mommy looks every friggin day for a full time job.  

This isn't meant to make anyone on here feel bad.  I know we ALL are struggling but I think a light bulb went off for my 11 yr old.  And I am so sick and tired of hearing a grown woman complain I could spit nails.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#70 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 PM

DH got a second job. joy.gif

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#71 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

Frugalmama- Have you tried Ebay or the used curric sites?

Not yet - I don't have a paypal thanks to no bank account, so it's harder to buy online used. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Have you checked local thrift stores?  Our St. Vincent store has a homeschooling section.  I think, if I were in your situation (and I did used to home school) I would do enrichment until the time I planned to order new curriculum.  Do lots of reading time, nature exploration, home science, whatever.  

Also, you can look into Ambleside Online as a free online curric that you might be able to use to bridge the gap.  http://www.amblesideonline.org/

I'm checking the thrift shops, thredup, and I plan to head to the local home school book shop next week hopefully. They have a used book room, so *fingers crossed* they have what I need. Their prices are very cheap from what I've seen. 

We've looked into Ambleside online, but it really wasn't a good fit for my ASD daughter. Just doing enrichment until August isn't an option - it would drive both me and my daughter batty lol. We're filling in with it now until we get new materials though. 

Quote:

Frugalmama-  A couple things.  Are you in a homeschool group?  Lots of moms' use non traditional calendars for school and swap materials all year long?  yahoo groups is a good place to start.  Craigslist sometimes has stuff listed as well.   can you 'make' the equivalent of what you need at home?   My son was/ is unschooled so we didn't use what you are looking for but what about the library?  I am best friends with the children's librarian.  I bet there is something similar to 'pathways' available at the library or they can order it for you.

I just joined Edhelper.com and totally love it for my son.  I only really use it for the language arts part and book review section but it's been a total lifesaver. I can't read as fast as he can and I want/need something quantative at this point on some of his books.  I think it was $20/year.

IDK what your laws are or what your plans are but can you take a break from school?  Do something different for awhile?  There are a million ways to 'count' school if you need to for the state.

Posted to the local main homeschool book swapping list, checked craigslist. We're doing break / enrichment stuff for right now, but considering I wasn't planning on buying until July / August that won't last until then without driving me and DD nuts. Already checked the library - they don't have Pathways and I have not found anything similar without the religious slant in months of looking. 

*fingers crossed* it works, but I have a tentative deal with a mama off thredup to request part of the books I need for the program from Paperbackswap {PBS won't let me register or I'd do it myself}, and then send them on to me in a thredup box for credits I already have on that site. So hopefully I'll just have to order the student workbooks, and I can buy those from the local homeschool book shop new if need be - they are the least expensive part of the program. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#72 of 333 Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 PM

Paigekitten--yay!  =D  

re: homeschooling--AmblesideOnline saved us when I needed curricula and didnt' have a dime to throw at it.  Thing is, once I got into the program, I decided it was really awesome!  I would go with Ambleside's stuff over most any paid curricula.  Also, dunno your specific restrictions or options, but unschooling can be an amazing educational path as well--sometimes esp. so for lower-income ppl.  you get to focus on enjoyment and togetherness instead of have-to's and can't's.

re: voluntary repossession--that's exactly where we're at, too.  we *can* keep paying the truck, but it's killing the possibility of us ever getting ahead, and it makes most other things miserable too.  Oh, gotta buy contact solution?  sorry, have to wait til next month cause we have to pay the truck!  it's just lame.  we had plenty of $$ when we bought it, but things changed a lot from then til now, yk?  i'm actually not too stressed about it.  i refuse to give my power to my bills by being fearful.  we WILL be just fine no matter what.  

looking forward to getting some important things done with the tax money.  you don't need money to make money, necessarily--but it helps to not be starting from less than zero :rolleyes:  =)

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#73 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

hooray!!

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

#74 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have been lurking for years, I guess I need to start posting.  I am working 2 jobs. I am dog tired. And we are not doing well. It is more than a little discouraging.... bleck.  Hopefully we will get some breathing room after our tax returns get submitted.

#75 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

Yay! for second job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura163 View Post

I have been lurking for years, I guess I need to start posting.  I am working 2 jobs. I am dog tired. And we are not doing well. It is more than a little discouraging.... bleck.  Hopefully we will get some breathing room after our tax returns get submitted.

Welcome! We are in the same boat can't wait to get taxes.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#76 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 AM

thumb.gif

Quote:

#77 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 PM
esg

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Awesome!!

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#78 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Congrats to those doing better so far this year than last, and to Averysmomma for the pgcy!

Frugalmama, I ask only because I had to have someone ask me before I REALLY thought about it. Have you considered walking away from the house and renting? When it's falling down around your ears, and you're at constant risk of losing it anyway, and you're probably quite upside down on it... We were 3 yrs ago, and someone asked me if I'd really thought about why I was hanging onto that piece of crap. I realized 1. I was proud and didn't want people to know I lost my house 2. It was the only thing of ANY value that I owned and 3. I was afraid no one would rent to us/wouldn't be able to come up with a deposit. It was then that I took action, found a place to rent, and we never looked back. Now, we're using our tax refund to buy a house this spring. One that will hold it's value and be an actual good investment. At least, that's the plan...

I second and third every recommendation for creditboards.com I've read on this thread! I started on our credit in May of last year. We were both in the mid 500s. Dh just hit 750, and me with the bankruptcy and foreclosure, still over 700. I never have to worry about creditor calls again, and we've got credit cards, a great car loan at a great rate ( that we'll be paying off w/taxes), and will be getting a good mortgage w/o a manual review. Too sweet! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE creditboards.

So, that's our update. Still hanging in there and making slightly more steps forward than backward, FINALLY. My mother moved in with us a year ago, but her worker screwed up her case so badly that her benefits stopped. Then we were afraid to sign her up at our address because technically she shouldn't be living with us (too many people for the size of our rental and we would be evicted if the leasing office found out). Because we can't sign a lease to live here again (because just the baby alone puts us at too many people to live here), we're out of here one way or another in 4 months. So we just said screw it, got her signed up here, and we've got collectively $200 more per month in FS. That's so helpful! Especially since we were docked when dh got his promotion+raise last summer. Plus, we get student loans/grants in 3 weeks and tax returns in 2.5 weeks. Plus, with the help of creditboards we knew enough to sue a debt collector for illegal debt practices and we're expecting a $1000 settlement check any day. Hooray! Now, we just have to keep this up...

Oh, also, we got into our local housing development office last year. We got signed up for an IDA (individual development account), where they match your funds 3 to 1 for buying a house. So, you save $1000 and they give you $3000 for your down payment, closing costs, etc. We'll be using that for our down payment and prepays. And they also helped us figure out the best mortgage for us. A USDA Rural Direct loan will give us a loan at 1% interest. This will enable us to buy twice the house we could usually afford, plus we can have the little homestead I've wanted for so long. I'm very excited. But, everything I have is crossed because it seems like every time I get optimistic my hopes are dashed yet again. Here's to a MUCH better year than last!

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#79 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

Congrats to those doing better so far this year than last, and to Averysmomma for the pgcy!

Frugalmama, I ask only because I had to have someone ask me before I REALLY thought about it. Have you considered walking away from the house and renting? When it's falling down around your ears, and you're at constant risk of losing it anyway, and you're probably quite upside down on it... We were 3 yrs ago, and someone asked me if I'd really thought about why I was hanging onto that piece of crap. I realized 1. I was proud and didn't want people to know I lost my house 2. It was the only thing of ANY value that I owned and 3. I was afraid no one would rent to us/wouldn't be able to come up with a deposit. It was then that I took action, found a place to rent, and we never looked back. Now, we're using our tax refund to buy a house this spring. One that will hold it's value and be an actual good investment. At least, that's the plan...

I have considered it - the problem is rent for the same size place {and we really need at least a 2 bed, prefer 3 bed} would be double the mortgage. So actually financially we'd be worse off, if that makes any sense. We live in a high rental city - college town with several colleges and military as well so rentals go for quite a bit. I actually considered renting this house if I could find something cheaper to live in - I could rent it for $1k a month which would cover all the mortgage plus insurance. We actually aren't upside down, amazingly enough - we owe around $74k and it's worth maybe $90k-ish - not really sure what I actually could get out of it if we tried to sell it with the condition issues though. I'm holding out hoping they open the section 8 housing list and we are able to get a place quickly through them. If worst comes to worst I'll have to send my mom to live with my brother {and they really don't have room or time to care for her}, and go homeless for a week so we then can get section 8 housing since we'd be classed as homeless. 

#80 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

So, that's our update. Still hanging in there and making slightly more steps forward than backward, FINALLY. My mother moved in with us a year ago, but her worker screwed up her case so badly that her benefits stopped. Then we were afraid to sign her up at our address because technically she shouldn't be living with us (too many people for the size of our rental and we would be evicted if the leasing office found out). Because we can't sign a lease to live here again (because just the baby alone puts us at too many people to live here), we're out of here one way or another in 4 months. So we just said screw it, got her signed up here, and we've got collectively $200 more per month in FS. That's so helpful! Especially since we were docked when dh got his promotion+raise last summer. Plus, we get student loans/grants in 3 weeks and tax returns in 2.5 weeks. Plus, with the help of creditboards we knew enough to sue a debt collector for illegal debt practices and we're expecting a $1000 settlement check any day. Hooray! Now, we just have to keep this up...

How did it go with getting FS for your mom - I'm about to do the same for my mom now that her income has dropped. Did you have to add her to your case since she is living with your or is she her own case? I've been going round and round with the local food bank {who also processes FS apps} because they don't know if I need to add her to my case or put her on her own. 

#81 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM

Subbing tomorrow... wish  me luck!

maciascl likes this.

#82 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:

How did it go with getting FS for your mom - I'm about to do the same for my mom now that her income has dropped. Did you have to add her to your case since she is living with your or is she her own case? I've been going round and round with the local food bank {who also processes FS apps} because they don't know if I need to add her to my case or put her on her own. 

Easy peasy. She had to fill out her own app, but we were all members of her household on the app, and she put on the form that she shops and fixes meals separately. This way they give her more than if she were just to be added to ours (Our caseworker told us this and told us to do it, so it's not like it's underhanded or anything). She is assigned to the same caseworker we have because she is a member of our household. 

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#83 of 333 Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Subbing tomorrow... wish  me luck!

GL!

#84 of 333 Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 AM

When I did homeschooling with my DD, my local public school district had a warehouse or teacher and text books.  Homeschooling parents could have stuff the district previously used, chose not to use, or samples for free.  I didn't have the money to purchase her a full curriculum any other way, and it was a lifesaver.  It also helped that I could get more than one year's worth of material in some subjects that she'd go through more quickly.  I don't know if this is an option for you, but it was great for me.  You could also check out your local freecycle and post a wanted request to see if anyone has some they're no longer using.

#85 of 333 Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:

This is only semi-related, but I didn't really feel comfy asking it in the homeschooling section as it pertains more to low-income. Hoping someone else here will have some tips or places to look online. 

I home school, and right now online schools like k-12 aren't an option. Neither is public school for a whole load of reasons. DD advanced through 1st grade faster than I expected by far, and now we need 2nd grade materials now instead of in July when I planned. Normally I buy everything through Amazon using swagbucks GC's, but I'm out due to the holidays so that isn't an option right now. We're also switching programs to try to lower her ASD distractions while doing school, so I need just specific materials. We're planning on going with Pathway readers & rod & Staff for most things that we need as they are low cost but it's still way out of my budget of $25. 

When I did homeschooling with my DD, my local public school district had a warehouse or teacher and text books.  Homeschooling parents could have stuff the district previously used, chose not to use, or samples for free.  I didn't have the money to purchase her a full curriculum any other way, and it was a lifesaver.  It also helped that I could get more than one year's worth of material in some subjects that she'd go through more quickly.  I don't know if this is an option for you, but it was great for me.  You could also check out your local freecycle and post a wanted request to see if anyone has some they're no longer using.

#86 of 333 Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not much has changed here. Had a u/s yesterday and the baby is doing wonderful. finally got food stamps stuff straightened our worker didn't turn in any of our pay stubs and changes since November. Really pisses me off considering we have barely been making it. Everything is fixed now hopefully and we should have a increase on the 19th. Hope everyone is doing well.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#87 of 333 Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM

I am super-annoyed. I applied for FS in December and received $526 for December a few days later. I received a letter from FS last week stating: "we have approved your SNAP application. You will get $526.00 a month from January 2012 until the end of November 2012."
Yesterday I should have received food stamps. I didn't bother calling because I have never had aproblem with benefits not being on the card on the right date. I went with a family friend and got $200 worth of food, we literally had no food at our house. They run my card, it has a $0 balance. My friend knew I had no food so she purchased the food with cash. I called my worker and of course, didn't get through. Lft a message though. I cannot understand WHY I have no FS when I just got a approval notice! Now I am indebted $200 to my friend. Oy.

#88 of 333 Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM

Aloha! New here, but not to being poor. My name is Amber and I live in Hawaii which is notorious for being an expensive place to live, but it's actually INCREDIBLY cheap to live here, which is why we moved here in the first place. Being in Hawaii instead of Texas has cut our living costs down to about 1/5 of what we used to have to spend on the mainland just to get by. So glad we moved when we did.

Anyway, hubby had to leave his last job because his boss was super abusive (my husband has Asperger Syndrome and cannot handle any kind of stress) and his new job pays about half what the old one did, so we are no longer even getting by. Just applied for food stamps a few days ago and baby #2 is due in March/April.

We'll be okay, though. I have become the queen of thrifty living and it's getting easier with each year that goes by. I have a blog I keep with tips and tricks on how to get by with nothing or practically nothing, so if anyone needs some ideas: http://doingwithout.livejournal.com/

We have managed to make it so far by moving into an abandoned house which isn't bad like it sounds. The house belongs to friends of mine that lost everything and left it to the bank years ago and moved to the mainland to live with their parents. They don't want it. The bank doesn't want it. We figure we'll just stay here until either the bank finds the paperwork (doesn't seem like it'll happen) or it just rots around us. It's a lovely house, far more than we could ever afford to rent, and we take good care of it so we have high hopes for at least a few more years here. There was a homeless guy living in here before with chickens and about a million dogs, so the bank is thrilled that we've moved in and cleaned up the place.

I work from home doing whatever I can while being a SAHM. I write and do graphic design as well as make toys from old recycled clothing and other materials. I feel really lucky to be able to stay home with my children and homeschool them.

It's even harder right now because my husband pays child support, but that will only be for another year or so. Glad to have this support thread!

mamaleila likes this.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#89 of 333 Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Absolutely use Book Samaritan - that's what it's there for!  I haven't used them but would not hesitate if the need arose.  

Like the other poster, our school district also provides materials to homeschoolers.  I believe it's a state law.  I've never actually taken advantage of it, but I know many that have. I know you have a specific request, but it might be worth trying the school district materials (if it's available in your area) and seeing if they are an OK fit - at least until you save up the money to get what you prefer?  Good luck!

flowersforyou.gif

#90 of 333 Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 PM

I think the idea is to buy only necessities, so replacing ragged undies would be acceptable, Prolly want to buy only a week's worth, more is prolly a splurge, unless you don't have aaccess to a convenient washing machine.

Among the things that can be counted not necessary are nearly all the products that are used once and then trown away. Why buy garbage? I only used disposable diapers for church, and I instructed the nursery workers taht changing on the first sign of wetness is wasteful. An adoptive granny taught me to wait a few minutes, let Baby finish the job, saves work and money.

I use only half a roll of paper towels per year, for really nasty messes (like a broken egg, really hard to wash out) and used rags for everything else. I went to the thrift store and bought cloth napkins, ten cents each, and now no need for paper napkins. I don't buy disposable plates, flatware, cups, bowls, etc.

I learned to mend things, so I can buy fewer new clothes, and those I buy either second hand or marked down. I borrow books from the library, rather than buying. I cook from scratch, which in not only cheaper than convenience food, but healthier, because I don't salt when I cook. I shop seasonally, and I keep on the lookout for free food, like from gardeners with surplus. I want to grow my own food! I make a lot of stove-top cassseroles, because hubby does not know how to eat just one portion of meat. (A portion is pretty small; a quarter-pounder with cheese is multiple servings!)

Pretty things for the house are optional, so not in the no-buying plan. Instead, learn to make them from stuff on hand. Ever use spare bed sheets as curtains? Some are very pretty. The top part works much like a rod pocket.

Tags
Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page