*~*~*2012 Low Income Support Group*~*~* - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 333 Old 01-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mom31:  My DH is getting ready to graduate with his AS at the end of this semester.  It's been 3 very long, demanding years.  He works full time and has taken 4 classes each semester, except for one he had three.  I am praying every day that a good job comes at the end of it all.  He's in digital media, so he should have a ton of options.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#122 of 333 Old 01-14-2012, 03:02 PM

I am going to go this week and check it out.

journeymom likes this.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#123 of 333 Old 01-14-2012, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom31 View Post

I am going to go this week and check it out.

Let us know what you find out.  I'm curious to know if they're helpful or not. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#124 of 333 Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 PM

I have a hard time following thru with things I perceive as stressful... this makes the list but since I told you and boyfriend hopefully I will follow thru.

milittlemonkeys- I hope your dh gets a great job with his new degree!

#125 of 333 Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:

I have a hard time following thru with things I perceive as stressful... this makes the list but since I told you and boyfriend hopefully I will follow thru.

Yes, I have the same problem.  Sometimes I have to make myself do something quickly, before I spend too much time procrastinating and thinking about it.  If those wheels get turning, I get into the stress/guilt cycle.  Bad.  

Thanks for the good wishes.  

#126 of 333 Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Does anyone know who you can contact about a worker at FS?  My worker has taken since Nov 15th to get out a form saying I am no longer employed and to get our food stamps increased. She doesn't return my calls, she doesn't send anything back, I can NEVER get her on the phone and I am stressed out. She finally got the form out but now won't answer  or return my calls about if she received it back. I get food stamps on Thursday the 19th and I can't wait to see if it's increased because if it isn't we are going to have to make it work with $58 we do get. Is there anyone over them I can contact?

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#127 of 333 Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmomma05 View Post

Does anyone know who you can contact about a worker at FS?  My worker has taken since Nov 15th to get out a form saying I am no longer employed and to get our food stamps increased. She doesn't return my calls, she doesn't send anything back, I can NEVER get her on the phone and I am stressed out. She finally got the form out but now won't answer  or return my calls about if she received it back. I get food stamps on Thursday the 19th and I can't wait to see if it's increased because if it isn't we are going to have to make it work with $58 we do get. Is there anyone over them I can contact?

Call your state FS ombudsman - they can help. Tell them your issues and that you've repeatedly had trouble with this worker, etc etc etc and they will look into it. I think they can tell you over the phone if the change has been processed or not. 

And call when you're prepared to wait for a LONG time - I know normally I end up waiting like a hour on hold / in line for the next rep. But it's worth it. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#128 of 333 Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 PM

i second the state ombudsman idea.  find the correct addy and write them a detailed email.  i got a call back within two days when i was having issues, and all of a sudden everything was fixed.  Sigh.

re: going back to school, i did, and now dh is doing it--but it's not a magic bullet.  i have a BA and an AA, but with 5 kids, homeschooling, and a nursling, it would completely throw things out of whack for me to work a regular job right now.  i'd rather be low-income!

DH is going to start college next week.  Part of it is that he wants to gain clarity on what he wants to do in the future (career-fishing, heh)--but the reason it's doable is cause the community college is so affordable here that he will actually be bringing in cash after his pell grants pay the college.  personally, i would NOT recommend student loans to anyone unless they will total under $30K, and you are SURE you will be able to EASILY get a job in your field quickly after graduation.  Not many majors stand up to that scrutiny, IMO--and considering that you should always do what you love (which by default means NOt doing what you don't love), well..  college is not the fail-safe it used to be.  JMTC! ;)

journeymom likes this.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#129 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 AM

Yes-  already have 20K of student loans so if I have to take out loans I am not going. What I am hoping is they can take the credits I already have and I can take a few extra courses to finish off a associates.  I don't think I can handle my bachelors now- the classes I have left for it are too hard...

maybe down the road.

I am excited about it.

I am in a tough spot as all of you are I can't really work and get off aid cause I would actually be POORER and just working my butt of all the time- so I am hoping I can get a degree that will make enough more that working would make sense.

#130 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 AM

DH called in to claim his unemployment check today. He was told he's due for a review. No check for 2-4 weeks. No food stamps until whenever the Ombudsman decides to call me back. No gas in the car. We barely have any food right now, it'll be gone before we can get more. My phone (and internet) will be cut off in 7 days. My electricity will probably be cut off.
I've always been poor, but I have never had it this bad before. I was just hit with reality and it's mking me sick to think about.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#131 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 08:33 AM

Hugs mama.... I will pray you figure something out.

#132 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 AM

thatgirliknew: Sending good energy your way. I am sorry it is all hitting at once. I hope something gives quickly. Big hugs to you!!!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#133 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post

DH called in to claim his unemployment check today. He was told he's due for a review. No check for 2-4 weeks. No food stamps until whenever the Ombudsman decides to call me back. No gas in the car. We barely have any food right now, it'll be gone before we can get more. My phone (and internet) will be cut off in 7 days. My electricity will probably be cut off.
I've always been poor, but I have never had it this bad before. I was just hit with reality and it's mking me sick to think about.

I am sorry! I hope you get the stuff situated I know how you feel.Our car is getting repoed next week,everything's due,husbands pay sucks blah. I hope it gets better for you so sorry!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#134 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Thanks again for that! I am going to call her all Tuesday and if she doesn't answer I will contact the ombudsman. We sent the paper faxed to her about 2 weeks ago she just keeps saying everything is taking so long because of the holidays which I understand but not 3 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Call your state FS ombudsman - they can help. Tell them your issues and that you've repeatedly had trouble with this worker, etc etc etc and they will look into it. I think they can tell you over the phone if the change has been processed or not. 

And call when you're prepared to wait for a LONG time - I know normally I end up waiting like a hour on hold / in line for the next rep. But it's worth it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post

i second the state ombudsman idea.  find the correct addy and write them a detailed email.  i got a call back within two days when i was having issues, and all of a sudden everything was fixed.  Sigh.

re: going back to school, i did, and now dh is doing it--but it's not a magic bullet.  i have a BA and an AA, but with 5 kids, homeschooling, and a nursling, it would completely throw things out of whack for me to work a regular job right now.  i'd rather be low-income!

DH is going to start college next week.  Part of it is that he wants to gain clarity on what he wants to do in the future (career-fishing, heh)--but the reason it's doable is cause the community college is so affordable here that he will actually be bringing in cash after his pell grants pay the college.  personally, i would NOT recommend student loans to anyone unless they will total under $30K, and you are SURE you will be able to EASILY get a job in your field quickly after graduation.  Not many majors stand up to that scrutiny, IMO--and considering that you should always do what you love (which by default means NOt doing what you don't love), well..  college is not the fail-safe it used to be.  JMTC! ;)

#135 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Follow through on what?  Going to see a counselor?  Or paying money and going to classes?   Don't forget that the counselor is only going to give you information. Going to the appointment won't send you to school unless you choose to sign up.  That scenario is based on my own experiences -signing up for classes I later realized I don't need or want, simply because I was with the counselor and felt obligated to the counselor to do something. To commit to something right there. It might have helped if I had thought of myself as a consumer.  I was going in for information that ultimately leads to a decision: can the school give me what I want? I get to decide. 

But when it comes to actually going to classes, I'm like Mylilmonkeys, I'll have to do it quick without thinking about it too much! Lol!

Quote:

Many hugs. Hang in there, people here care about you. 

#136 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:

So sorry!  I hope something starts going your way soon!  Have you asked about emergency assistance (if you can get hold of your worker)?  Think about calling churches, Salvation Army, local food banks.  Big hugs!!

#137 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 AM

oh all of it.... going to the first appointment to going to class to doing the homework- it will be quite an acheivement if I can do this... one class at a time. I avoid stress at all costs( I have some issues :( ) so rocking the boat so to speak with trying to go to school is a very scary idea but one that I feel probably must be done at this point.

I got the paper today and circled jobs I could apply for.

#138 of 333 Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 PM

Here are some great site that are free!

http://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com online planner.

Donna Young.org forms you will need.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm is a math program K-9 grade.

http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/ online curriculum pre-k through 5.

http://www.lessonpathways.com/ is k-5 online site.

http://www.freereading.net/index.php?title=Main_Page is a free reading program.

http://www.progressivephonics.com/ another free reading site.

http://www.bookadventure.com/Home.aspx Quizes for the books your child reads.

http://www.starfall.com/ is a great learn to read site.

http://www.art-made-easy.com/

http://www.yourchildlearns.com/ free software

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/ has a little of every subject.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/  A full k-12  free site.

http://oldfashionededucation.com/ Old textbooks k-12 education

http://www.freeworldu.org/static/index.aspx This a site that offers a free k-12 education using flashcards.

http://www.homeschoolcollegeusa.com/index.html is  a site for highschool students just in case someone might need it.

http://www.spellingcity.com/ is spelling and printing worksheets.

There are so many I have bookmarked but these are the best I think. I hope this helps out. God Bless

#139 of 333 Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:

If you have less than a certain amount of cash and resources on hand, you qualify for an expedited process too. Do you have any way to go into the office? Or just keep calling and calling and calling? Also agree with others, make some calls for emergency assistance places/food bank.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#140 of 333 Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 AM

As far as school, too, do NOT, under any circumstances, contact, speak to, or enroll with the University of Phoenix. Please! If you feel compelled to at least research them, look at all of the complaints about them you can find on the internet, BBB, the AZ attorney general, etc. Here's a good place to start http://www.consumeraffairs.com/education/phoenix.html

For every 1 person you find that likes it there there are 5 who were literally ROBBED, which is why they lost a class action last year for misappropriation of financial aid funds. Dh didn't listen to me and tried them for 6 months. At the end of 6 months he was 10k in student loan debt (with only $3000 being disbursed to him, and they kept his pell grant funds, too! They cost more than 500% more than our community college he's attending now, online), yet somehow still owed them $1200. Not on my life. I have fought them tooth and nail for the past 6 months, and only after reporting them to 2 attorney general's offices did they admit that they screwed up (only 1 of their "mistakes", not the other 3+) and he should owe less than half of that. Um, no, he should owe nothing. We're currently awaiting a review from the financial grievance committee. If they do not rule in our favor we will be suing.

On top of that, their degrees are still useless and hold absolutely no water in the job market. Please save yourself the trouble.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#141 of 333 Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

As far as school, too, do NOT, under any circumstances, contact, speak to, or enroll with the University of Phoenix. Please! If you feel compelled to at least research them, look at all of the complaints about them you can find on the internet, BBB, the AZ attorney general, etc. Here's a good place to start http://www.consumeraffairs.com/education/phoenix.html

For every 1 person you find that likes it there there are 5 who were literally ROBBED, which is why they lost a class action last year for misappropriation of financial aid funds. Dh didn't listen to me and tried them for 6 months. At the end of 6 months he was 10k in student loan debt (with only $3000 being disbursed to him, and they kept his pell grant funds, too! They cost more than 500% more than our community college he's attending now, online), yet somehow still owed them $1200. Not on my life. I have fought them tooth and nail for the past 6 months, and only after reporting them to 2 attorney general's offices did they admit that they screwed up (only 1 of their "mistakes", not the other 3+) and he should owe less than half of that. Um, no, he should owe nothing. We're currently awaiting a review from the financial grievance committee. If they do not rule in our favor we will be suing.

On top of that, their degrees are still useless and hold absolutely no water in the job market. Please save yourself the trouble.

Good to know, thanks.  I once contacted them for *info* about a Master's degree and they hounded me for a long time. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#142 of 333 Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:

Can you contact a local church for help?  Or your state food bank?

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#143 of 333 Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Another great homeschooling link: http://www.homeschoolfreebie.wholesomechildhood.com/

I still subscribe even though we no longer homeschool.  Such a great variety of core curriculum and enrichment/fun activities.

#144 of 333 Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 PM

I tried calling the FS office today but after 54 minutes on hold I had to hang up. So I decided to write them a note and send it back with the blank form requesting the paperwork for a self-employed person. I am hoping this works. The only address on the paperwork is a PO box so I can't go into the office either.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#145 of 333 Old 01-19-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

I tried calling the FS office today but after 54 minutes on hold I had to hang up. So I decided to write them a note and send it back with the blank form requesting the paperwork for a self-employed person. I am hoping this works. The only address on the paperwork is a PO box so I can't go into the office either.

Oy! That really stinks.  Hang in there, I hope it works. 

#146 of 333 Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 AM

well, I just found out that I've been leaving messages for the wrong worker all month.  They've changed my worker 3 or 4 times since November and I really can't keep up.  There's a separate worker for child care and I thought this was the worker for my foodstamps too.  I've been reporting my income changes to her the last two months.  Anyway, I spoke to her about whether or not my FS would go down since I'm working again, and that I haven't received any mail about it, and she told me I was supposed to have reported to this other woman, and that even though I'm reporting to the same office, for whatever reason their cases don't share info and I can get my benefits stopped for not reporting within the 10day timeframe.  AWESOME.   Now I have to figure out who this case worker is and how I can avoid getting penalized for fraud even though I *thought* I was doing everything right. 

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

#147 of 333 Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branditopolis View Post

well, I just found out that I've been leaving messages for the wrong worker all month.  They've changed my worker 3 or 4 times since November and I really can't keep up.  There's a separate worker for child care and I thought this was the worker for my foodstamps too.  I've been reporting my income changes to her the last two months.  Anyway, I spoke to her about whether or not my FS would go down since I'm working again, and that I haven't received any mail about it, and she told me I was supposed to have reported to this other woman, and that even though I'm reporting to the same office, for whatever reason their cases don't share info and I can get my benefits stopped for not reporting within the 10day timeframe.  AWESOME.   Now I have to figure out who this case worker is and how I can avoid getting penalized for fraud even though I *thought* I was doing everything right. 

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. How horribly inefficient! Did this worker atleast give you info on who to contact and how?

DH got a job but I am not getting excited about it yet. He has signed all the paperwork but they have not given him any hours yet or a start date. They are opening a new shop mid Feburary so he will only be training until then. It is only enough to pay the rent right now but it really sounds like there are some great opportunities available in time. Plus anything is better than nothing. Also it is something he is really interested in. He has been a competetive road cyclist for 20 years and he will be working in a bike shop. I feel a little guilty for not being more excited. May be after he actually starts I will.

#148 of 333 Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Cautiously optimistic is just fine.  I've been there with the offer, the paperwork then nothing ever happens.  I've learned never to really get excited until I see paychecks start arriving in my bank account.  Cynical?  Maybe but ... I can't deal with the emotional roller coasters anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. How horribly inefficient! Did this worker atleast give you info on who to contact and how?

DH got a job but I am not getting excited about it yet. He has signed all the paperwork but they have not given him any hours yet or a start date. They are opening a new shop mid Feburary so he will only be training until then. It is only enough to pay the rent right now but it really sounds like there are some great opportunities available in time. Plus anything is better than nothing. Also it is something he is really interested in. He has been a competetive road cyclist for 20 years and he will be working in a bike shop. I feel a little guilty for not being more excited. May be after he actually starts I will.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#149 of 333 Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Still here, still broke. Still working on my mom's FS case, so we are out of FS for right now. I have to go reapply for mine, but I can't do it until the 1st since my case is lapsed - if I wait until the 1st I get emergency rather than having to wait 45 days. 

Still working trying to get a stable source of income coming in - so far nothing. 

In other news - mailed out my request to the Book Samaritan today for the rest of the books we need - hopefully they will be able to fill part of it. I've been picking away at the list with some gift cards that came in, but it's still big. Starting school back on the 30th for DD - she is excited. We are taking a last vacation week this week and going to the local museum thanks to NuRide - I was able to cash out points for 2 free tickets. Might head to the Zoo too - we have a membership thanks to groupon and I'd like to use it more. 

How is everyone else doing?

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#150 of 333 Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM

Finally,I got my food stamps stuff straightened out but apparently me waiting since November didn't count for anything and they won't be upped until Feb. We should get our tax refund back next week and things hopefully will be easier.Glad for that.Other then that trying to stretch our 58.00 in FS until next week and just survive.

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page