Mothering Forum banner

*~*~*2012 Low Income Support Group*~*~*

Tags
finances
31K views 332 replies 58 participants last post by  gabbyraja 
#1 ·
December 2011 on through 2012's Low income support thread, for those living with a low income or struggling.

Support ONLY... no flaming!

Fall 2011's thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1330532/fall-2011-low-income-support-thread

It's December and I thought I would start a new thread for the new upcoming year, to try to put a little new fresh karma/vibes into the mix! May December treat you all well and may 2012 bring you all much happiness, health and money comfort!
goodvibes.gif
om.gif
grouphug.gif
joy.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
Not having a good night - it's raining super hard and I just found a new leak in our roof. It's leaking right into and thru the bathroom light / vent fixture.
greensad.gif

Did I mention that I'm $900 short this month, since we're behind on the mortgage 3 months and they want it NOW or they will start legal action?

I have no idea where I'm going to come up with $900 - I'm selling everything I can think of and have tons listed on craigslist but very little is selling.

And I need prescriptions again this month, but medicaid still hasn't changed my PCP to one that will accept me, so the only way I can get my scripts is to pay $45 at the walk in clinic.

But at least Christmas is covered, we have plenty of food, all the utilities are still on, and we have each other.

#6 ·
I must be living right - I called medicaid and managed to get BOTH my PCP and my daughter's changed, and backdated to 12-1. AND then I called my PCP and got the only cancellation and appointment they had before February - THURSDAY!

Can't believe it - it never works that good. Now fingers crossed that my daughter's ear pain improves {it's not bad, just occasional} so that I actually get to go.

#7 ·
Sending vibes to everyone and hoping for calm.

Right now the pantry is stocked.

For 2012 I may attempt 'A year of I'm not buying it'. basically means no extra buying anything. I read a book about the idea last year and was going to try it this year, never happened since we moved. I've been doing the compact for a couple years and I think 2012 is a good time to cut all spending and just really learn to make due with what we have.

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Buying-Year-Without-Shopping/dp/0743269365/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323164852&sr=1-8

#8 ·
subbing. we're still hanging in there. still having the monthly dilemma of "should we pay for the truck, or pay for everything else"
eyesroll.gif
okay, that's an exaggeration, but sometimes not by much.

I've never been this behind on a debt before, so I dunno what will happen, really. I mean, I dont' think I'm up for repossession yet, but I wonder what's happening to my credit. I mean, even if I make a payment this month, I'm still several months behind, so is that docking my credit each month until I'm current again, or..?

we're at that part of the month where we're on the last bit of food til we get more FS, and my creativity is lagging. I guess there's only so much you can do with plain rice adn beans
orngtongue.gif

#9 ·
Food Stamps pay tomorrow. I've never been so excited about friggin food stamps. (and I even have some left over from last month),

I think it'ts because I haven't been working much and there is literally no pay coming in.

This is the month where I tend to bake a bit more - think fudge, peppermint stuff, stove top hot cocoa and extra food stamps add some joy into an otherwise depressed house.

#10 ·
Forgot to add - I seem to have massive brain cloud going on- DS and I have been doing some holiday stuff.

Baking, decorated the tree, made some ornaments, and I am even thinking about wrapping presents!

I am totally on board with the 'no buy' for 2012. Not just because I have no income, but it's something I've always wanted to do and heck, if not now, when??

#11 ·
Ahhhh Bean Week. We got back on WIC, so now it's like beans, rice, and breakfast cereal. Tomorrow my food stamps go up from the baby's birth and DH's reduced hours at work. Yay! I'm stocking up on meats.
thumb.gif

Tell me more about this book. It sounds like a really cool idea, but I can't imagine not buying anything for a year....I need new underwear!

#12 ·
That's us too - I like the idea but there are so many basic things we really need around the house and for ourselves that I'm not sure of the practice part.

I'm working away at the extra we need for this month - selling a walker on craigslist this morning, fielding emails for some other things too. Should add up to close to $200 total, making me only $600 short. Still working on finding things we don't need and putting them up on craigslist. I really need for my peace of mind and stress levels, to get caught up on the bills this month if at all possible.

#13 ·
We had an unexpected find this morning - when I went out early for a craigslist sale, I happened to look up at the roof - and I could see the heat rising from it because it was so cold here. Turns out we have a heat leak big time in one bathroom - which shutting the down on cut down greatly. It's coming out a bathroom vent, which somehow must not be sealing right.

It's a LOT warmer in here now - we knew we were losing heat but not where from.

#14 ·
From Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Buying-Year-Without-Shopping/dp/0743269357

If you've ever contemplated cutting down on your consumerism but couldn't bring yourself to do it, Levine's volume allows you to witness and learn from this drastic experiment without going through the withdrawal yourself. Since giving up shopping entirely is impossible in North America (buying food requires money), the most interesting aspect of Levine's adventure is the process of defining necessity. High-speed Internet access, Q-tips and any soap fancier than Ivory, for example, are all ruled out as luxuries. With chapters divided by month, the book witnesses Levine's journey from enthusiastic experimenter in January to a still game but weary participant by the fall, as favorite luxuries run out and clothes become shabbier. As Levine trades in movies and restaurants for the public library system and dinner parties at home, she is forced to reflect on not only the personal indulgences she's become used to but also their place in defining her social space. Since this book is about exploring consumerism rather than economizing (although she does manage to save $8,000 by the end of the year), Levine investigates several anticonsumer movements-she joins her local Voluntary Simplicity group, participates in Buy Nothing Day and consults experts on issues of consumerism and conservation. Yet the most insightful aspect is Levine's account of her own struggle to keep down her day-to-day consumption of goods and to define the fine line between need and want. (Mar.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From Booklist

Other than phenomenal willpower and maxed-out credit cards, what does it take to simply stop purchasing for 12 months? Levine took the plunge--and found it irritating, exhilarating, thought provoking, and humiliating--among many other conflicting emotions. What's an inexpensive substitute for Q-tips? How to best gift a soon-to-be college graduate without spending any money? How to avoid the consumption seduction that lurks in every corner? Levine chronicles her feelings in this almost-weekly diary of the year of nonpurchasing. Many of her points are intentionally provocative; for instance, not buying makes her feel vulnerable and having to ask for help. Plus, her secondary sources, from the recently issued Trading Up (2003) to federal deficit projections and Socratic pronouncements, add a great deal of depth to a topic that could be perceived as frivolous. Barbara Jacobs
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

Ahhhh Bean Week. We got back on WIC, so now it's like beans, rice, and breakfast cereal. Tomorrow my food stamps go up from the baby's birth and DH's reduced hours at work. Yay! I'm stocking up on meats.
thumb.gif

Tell me more about this book. It sounds like a really cool idea, but I can't imagine not buying anything for a year....I need new underwear!

#15 ·
Hello everyone
wave.gif

I've occasionally posted in previous threads before, but I think I'lll quickly reintroduce myself. My name is Jaki and my family definitely belongs here right now.. My husband works full time but I'm currently a SAHM taking care of my son who has severe autism. My husbands income is not much... he was laid off from his position of 12 years when his company outsourced his entire department and after struggling to find a suitable job for 18 months, found a position at less then half at what he was making. To say we struggle to be an understatement.. Our current income is literally just a *hair* above the income cutoff for most government assistance programs, but the sad reality is that we barely, or don't. have the income to cover most basics. We do receive a small amount of SSI for our son, but that goes torwards his therapies. We juggle all bills every single month.

Anyhow, that's me... I really hope to be in a better place someday.

#17 ·
I'm new here. I'm Kelly, mom to 4, currently going through a divorce. Absolutely 0 income at the moment. Have been sahm for our entire marriage (17 years) so not easy finding work. We currently are recieving food stamps which is such a blessing. Nothing coming for STBX. Grrr. I have an appt for cash aid tomorrow. I've heard it's a pitiful amount BUT the fact that they will start a child support case months earlier than I can get a court date makes it worth my while. Very nervewracking to be in this position but just taking it one day at a time.

#16 ·
I'm new here. I'm Kelly, mom to 4, currently going through a divorce. Absolutely 0 income at the moment. Have been sahm for our entire marriage (17 years) so not easy finding work. We currently are recieving food stamps which is such a blessing. Nothing coming for STBX. Grrr. I have an appt for cash aid tomorrow. I've heard it's a pitiful amount BUT the fact that they will start a child support case months earlier than I can get a court date makes it worth my while. Very nervewracking to be in this position but just taking it one day at a time.

#21 ·
Hi all, I'd love to join this group. Right now I work full time while DH is finishing school and caring for our 4 month old son while I'm working. For the last few months we have been doing well with our bills... no new debt... but his school and financial aid end soon and then who knows what we will do.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, but at least we are all in the same boat for now to keep each other company.

#22 ·
Our food stamps got bumped from $200 a month to $600! I totally stocked the freezer.
orngbiggrin.gif
Unfortunately a check hit the bank before DH's paycheck did, I'm hoping DH can sweet talk them into waving the fee.

#23 ·
Yay! I am glad your fs was upped! I am praying mine gets upped I sent in paperwork showing the changes but we only get $58.00 worth a month right now. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

Our food stamps got bumped from $200 a month to $600! I totally stocked the freezer.
orngbiggrin.gif
Unfortunately a check hit the bank before DH's paycheck did, I'm hoping DH can sweet talk them into waving the fee.

#26 ·
Well, I called the hospital to find out about financial assistance, we qualify but they transferred me to some other office and then I had to leave a message. Hopefully I actually get called back. I've been trying to apply for LIHEAP for a month now and I always seem to call when someone is closed, but it's this huge long phone chain where you call one place and they give you the number for another place who gives you the number for another. I finally got through to the right number to apply, but they aren't accepting new applications right now. I guess I'll just keep calling back. Usually we heat with wood, not the furnace, but I'm not able to get out and chop/carry wood with the baby. Maybe when she's big enough to go on my back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.