Support for encountering people who have money don't remember what it's like NOT to have money - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was thinking about this the other day.....I recently read an article that said 50% of Americans do not have access to $2,000 if they need it in an emergency.  So, needless to say, there are a lot of people without a lot of money out there.  But, in my day to day life, I periodically come across people who don't remember/know what it's like not to have money.

I had a very poor friend (disabled) who was invited to go on a cruise with her rich cousin.  Rich cousin was paying for the cruise, which is a very kind gift.  So my friend Amy is thrilled for the cruise, but her rich cousin (mistakenly) overlooked that they were leaving from New Orleans very early, so Amy had to spend the night in a hotel in NO before the cruise.  Well, Amy didn't have the money for the hotel and rich cousin thought, "I'm paying for the cruise and all you have to do is cover the hotel."  So Amy struggled and I suggested that she just tell rich cousin, "I can't even afford one night in a hotel!!"  It all worked out fine, but tough situation.  

I have a very rich aunt/uncle.  We were going on vacation near them (vacation was paid for by another friend of ours) and I emailed to visit.  They said, "Great, let's meet for lunch."  Now, if you were REALLY rich, wouldn't you pick up the tab for your struggling niece family?  My aunt picked a very fancy restaurant, when I would have been fine w/ subway.....well, she had arranged for separate checks!!  I about fainted.  So we ended up w/  a $50 tab for lunch, which about killed me.   

And rich friends always say, "Hire someone to clean your house Adele".  Well, gee, should we not eat that month??  

Or when I was lost and called a friend and they're all, "Plug in the address to your smart phone."  Well, I have a dumb phone, not a smart phone!! 

And I'm not begrudging rich people.....all the people I know that are very rich work very hard---all sacrificing time with their families for work and travel etc.  I quit a job to raise my children which paid me handsomely (and I did not save enough of my paycheck before kids, regrettably), but required 8+ weeks of travel per year.  I love staying home with my children, even though we don't go on vacations and drive old cars and never go out.  It's all ok.  

#2 of 62 Old 12-26-2011, 09:56 PM

If it is OK, why are you posting?

It was your choice to quit your job and stay a home. So,  you life is what your life is. They did not, so their life is what it is.

You not make other people responsible to remember what your money situation is, to cover your hotel or lunch.

You can always refuse the cruise, lunch invite or what not.

I do not not relays understand why everything has to be so black and white, sacrifice  everything or have no money.

There jobs that do not requires you to travel 8 weeks a year or work tons of overtime.

I work. I take of my kids. It does not pay tons of money and I am not rich but vacations are nice. I can't afford a cleaning lady but going out once in a while is good.

My only advice would be, to prevent feeling of hurt and envy, do not hang out with people who have money.

#3 of 62 Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 PM

This happens to me all time, and it drives me crazy. DH's parents have money, and for his 40th birthday they "treated" us to a cruise. What they didn't tell us, and what we didn't realize (having never taken that kind of vacation) was that we would be responsible for coming up with a mandatory gratuity that is paid out at the beginning of the cruise ($200) plus cab fare at every port ($40 a pop). I was livid by the end of the cruise, because we had to put everything on our emergency credit card and carry a balance because we couldn't afford to pay it off.

My boss and coworker also like to have lunch meetings. I am constantly begging them to eliminate this. Our budget is so tight I literally cannot afford a once-a-month lunch out for $15. The last time I begged off, saying I didn't have a penny to my name. My boss said she would pick up the tab, and at the end of meal, as we were walking out of the restaurant, I thanked her profusely for lunch, and she said, "You can treat next time!"

Friends are constantly inviting us to concerts and plays, or out for a glass of wine, none of which we can afford. Or, people will say all the time, "You should really go on a date night once a week!" We can't afford a movie or dinner a week, let alone a babysitter.

Don't get me wrong, we have a good life and we're very happy, it's just the assumptions and lack of consideration that bug me.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#4 of 62 Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, people generally hang out with those in or near the same circles.  I wouldn't be surprised when your co-workers or neighbors assume you're in similar financial situations as they are.  If you do similar jobs or have bought similar houses.  Of course people all have different situations, but unless they know your financial details they'd just assume you're average. 

Sadly I think you'll have to distance yourself from your rich relatives or friends.  They're not required to pay for your outings just because they're rich.  Most of our friends stopped hanging out with us when we had our children.  They assumed that we wouldn't have the time or money.  They're mostly professionals and make very good money and like to go out to expensive places.  That's OK with us, though as we're usually frugal regardless of our income.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#5 of 62 Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

That was a thoughtful reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

It was your choice to quit your job and stay a home. So,  you life is what your life is. They did not, so their life is what it is.

You not make other people responsible to remember what your money situation is, to cover your hotel or lunch.

I do not not relays understand why everything has to be so black and white, sacrifice  everything or have no money.

There jobs that do not requires you to travel 8 weeks a year or work tons of overtime.

I work. I take of my kids. It does not pay tons of money and I am not rich but vacations are nice. I can't afford a cleaning lady but going out once in a while is good.

My only advice would be, to prevent feeling of hurt and envy, do not hang out with people who have money.

I get what you're saying.  We had monthly Women Who Lunch lunches and they just kept picking more and more expensive places to eat.  It got ridiculous.  I got to choose last month and we went to a really cheap place.  I make a lot now but I still have to make up for what I didn't make that last 3 yrs.  DH stays home and because he stays home we don't have to pay for daycare or other work expenses.  We were at one time paying 1300 a month on daycare and that was subsidized.  On top of all that we had gas expenses that totalled close to 500 a month at the height of the high gas prices. 

Public transportation was out of the question,  the schedules did not run at times that worked for us at all!  Totally sucked because I love taking the bus!  

We're digging our way out of our debt now but I still want to have money set aside.  I don't use credit anymore and now when I notice somebody shying away from an event that would cost money I work to change the venue or find something less expensive for all.  DD1's holiday party, a lot of parents couldn't afford even a bag of chips because it would break into their holiday or food budget, so I covered the whole party.  I did it because last year the party for DD1's class was a sad affair and the mom in charge didn't know what to do when parents couldn't help so she just did without.  I had approached her numerous times to ask if anything was still needed and she wouldn't tell there were needs.  So this year I said screw it I'm doing the party.  I started three months out and had everything ready to go.  When the party came around we only needed to spend 10 bucks on perishables and that was covered by the PTA.

I think it's fair for others to realize not everyone can manage all the financial crap that comes at them.  Inviting people to lunch is sometimes very tricky.  I don't do it anymore because I know that so many people are on a tight budget.  I only have two kids but I work with people that have 2 in college 2 at home.  I can't imagine what they're dealing with. 

#6 of 62 Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

No, it isn't someone else's responsibility to remember a tough financial situation.  But is it a struggling person's responsibility to meet the spending level a person with enough money thinks is called for?  I don't think the issue is about those who don't realize that money's a problem, but those who've been told and overlook the implications.  Or, especially, override the implications.  If I were in a bind and someone else arranged a situation that cost me more after I'd been clear about my $ limits, I'd be exploring whether they were merely human and forgot or whether they were indifferent and/or controlling.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#7 of 62 Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM

I think it is also hard to judge a person's situation by looking.  I know many people in worse situations than I Have nicer cars, clothes, phone, etc.  you just never know.

I think the only way to deal with it is being up front.  People can adjust to the lowest common denominator but it really depends on everyone's priority.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 62 Old 12-27-2011, 01:52 PM

I am not well off, but I am frequently better off than some of my friends (who I am NOT dumping because they are not as well-off as I am, FYI). I DO keep in mind what other people's financial situations are. I also have a very strict policy: if I invite someone to do something, I either plan on picking up the whole tab (unless they volunteer) OR I tell them up front we will be going dutch. No muss, no fuss. They can say "no" to the invite if they can't afford it, but I'm not "expecting" anyone to do something WITH ME unless I am willing to cover the costs of my FRIENDS who may be in a tighter situation.

BTW, we all do this, so when we get together, someone is always covering for another, and it goes around, so no one is stuck all the time. But I want to go out to eat with my friends. I know they are not all rolling in money, so that is part of my "cost" of having the pleasure of that night.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#9 of 62 Old 12-27-2011, 02:15 PM

My husband and I have never been well-off as adults due to health issues and through choosing family over career. (Let's just leave it at that.) I grew up with a set of people who, for the most part, are now very well off, generally speaking. There's a definite disconnect there and a lot of my previous peers have dropped me because, well, I don't know. People DO tend to hang out with people who have similar money situations, but that's made things hard for me. I didn't change as a person just because we don't have spending money. I still have interests in common with them. We still have memories we could share. We have a common set of experiences. I don't see why I'd have to cultivate a completely new set of friends. I wouldn't say we had to be BEST friends and do everything together, and that they couldn't enjoy fun, expensive things on their own time... but a lot of them just got this awkward, almost pitying attitude towards us and then they by and large disappeared altogether. Don't tell me that "rich folk" can't come up with a few inexpensive things they can do sometimes to hang out with people who don't have those resources.

I feel almost snobbish for saying so but a lot of the people in our income bracket have had different upbringings, have different interests, etc. That's not to say they're bad, but I can't always relate to them. A lot of them don't have college educations, haven't traveled, have different hobbies, interests, tastes in music etc. Gosh, that does sound snobbish. But it is what it is, I guess. I do have some people who are not really well off that I do relate to, in the end, but the gulf really is widening as we get older, and they make more and more money and get more and more invested in that "money lifestyle" to the point where they just talk about their job and their cars and their new gadgets. As kids/young adults it didn't really matter, friendships were based on interests and the like, now more and more it is dependent on where you can have lunch and what car you drive. In that way I feel a bit lucky for not being swept away in that world, though it's kind of strange to not have them be able to relate at all. I can see their point of view but they can't see mine, sometimes.

I was also going to say that I agree with a lot of the posters above in their anecdotes about the richer people just ignoring what reality is like when you don't have disposable income.

coolshine.gif
#10 of 62 Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM

My boss was complaining to me one day about her cracked tooth.  I told her I had the same problem and it really sucks.  She asked me what they did for my tooth.  I looked at her kind of funny and asked "Who's they?  I can't afford to go to a dentist!"  She got really quiet and then turned around and walked out without another word.  She's knows I work 30 hours a week, making $9.50 an hour, trying to raise two kids by myself AND the company does not offer dental insurance!  She has dental through her DH, who makes really good money.  She talks all the time about how her house is already paid off, she drives a decked out BMW and has no sympathy for her employees who are living paycheck to paycheck, refuses to buy the teachers supplies so they have to buy them themselves, on their $10 an hour, etc.  It's kind of sickening.  I mean I get temporarily forgetting that someone doesn't have access to affordable healthcare, but it's an ongoing issue.  I'm quitting that job in a couple of weeks, thank goodness.  I've been there 18 months with no pay raise.

ediesmom likes this.
#11 of 62 Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawitch View Post

I was also going to say that I agree with a lot of the posters above in their anecdotes about the richer people just ignoring what reality is like when you don't have disposable income.

It's not because they're richer.  It's because they're thoughtless, indifferent, or worse.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#12 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We make decent money, more than most Americans.  So, I have a slightly different perspective.  We also have 4 children and help support my disabled mother and have an very focused approach to saving money.  So, while a lot of money comes in, it is budgeted very tightly.  

So, what I can add is that people handle money very differently no matter their income bracket.  I know very, very frugal folks who have high incomes and I have good friends with very low incomes who spend foolishly.  There are fools at every level.  

Be honest is all I can say.  And don't take money personally.  Everyone chooses their own approach.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#13 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 AM

I think.... I don't want to be starting a fight here, but I think "And don't take money personally. Everyone chooses their own approach." sums up the issue here quite nicely. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you were trying to say, but maybe people who have more money CAN choose to have various approaches. But people who just don't have the money, at all, are NOT making choices - there's no choice to make. It's not a matter, sometimes, of HOW to spend your disposable income if there IS no disposable income. I think that sums up the difference in mindset. If you know people who "spend foolishly" even though they're in a lower income bracket, I don't know for SURE what their situations are, but chances are they might not make as much as your family, but they still make enough money to have some leeway on what purchases they make, even if you don't approve of how they're spending their money. I think a lot of people are talking about people who have absolutely no room in their budget - if an unexpected expense arises (like having to treat their boss to lunch), they're going to have real issues on how to pay the utilities that month, or something like that. People who don't have to make choices like, "do I put gas in my car this week or do I get to buy my kid a pair of shoes that they need" don't really "get" that... And yes, I've been on both sides of the fence, and I'm not villainizing "the evil rich" or anything.

It's the same thing, too, when the poor in our country often do not "understand" that the poor in other countries have it a lot worse. On some level they do realize they're lucky not to live in a slum and literally be starving and watching your kids starve to death in front of you and not be able to do anything about it. And some people get all up in arms that the poor in the U.S. often have cell phones or adequate clothes or a microwave, or whatever else... I think we're ALL a bit myopic about other people's situations that we genuinely don't know enough about. Because we can't know about how other people really live because we're not them.

Alright, I'm starting to get rambly now...

coolshine.gif
#14 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 AM

Interesting post. Since you are having trouble relating to both sets of them, I am wondering who actually has the issue. You or 'them'.

Quote:

My husband and I have never been well-off as adults due to health issues and through choosing family over career. (Let's just leave it at that.) I grew up with a set of people who, for the most part, are now very well off, generally speaking. There's a definite disconnect there and a lot of my previous peers have dropped me because, well, I don't know. People DO tend to hang out with people who have similar money situations, but that's made things hard for me. I didn't change as a person just because we don't have spending money. I still have interests in common with them. We still have memories we could share. We have a common set of experiences. I don't see why I'd have to cultivate a completely new set of friends. I wouldn't say we had to be BEST friends and do everything together, and that they couldn't enjoy fun, expensive things on their own time... but a lot of them just got this awkward, almost pitying attitude towards us and then they by and large disappeared altogether. Don't tell me that "rich folk" can't come up with a few inexpensive things they can do sometimes to hang out with people who don't have those resources.
I feel almost snobbish for saying so but a lot of the people in our income bracket have had different upbringings, have different interests, etc. That's not to say they're bad, but I can't always relate to them. A lot of them don't have college educations, haven't traveled, have different hobbies, interests, tastes in music etc. Gosh, that does sound snobbish. But it is what it is, I guess. I do have some people who are not really well off that I do relate to, in the end, but the gulf really is widening as we get older, and they make more and more money and get more and more invested in that "money lifestyle" to the point where they just talk about their job and their cars and their new gadgets. As kids/young adults it didn't really matter, friendships were based on interests and the like, now more and more it is dependent on where you can have lunch and what car you drive. In that way I feel a bit lucky for not being swept away in that world, though it's kind of strange to not have them be able to relate at all. I can see their point of view but they can't see mine, sometimes.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#15 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:

But people who just don't have the money, at all, are NOT making choices - there's no choice to make. It's not a matter, sometimes, of HOW to spend your disposable income if there IS no disposable income. I think that sums up the difference in mindset. If you know people who "spend foolishly" even though they're in a lower income bracket, I don't know for SURE what their situations are, but chances are they might not make as much as your family, but they still make enough money to have some leeway on what purchases they make, even if you don't approve of how they're spending their money. I think a lot of people are talking about people who have absolutely no room in their budget - if an unexpected expense arises (like having to treat their boss to lunch), they're going to have real issues on how to pay the utilities that month, or something like that.

I think this is key. I know people who say, "We eat out too much," or "I need to stop spending so much money on shoes." I also know people who don't know where their next meal or tank of gas is coming from. It's a different perspective, and not one that everyone has experienced.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#16 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

Interesting post. Since you are having trouble relating to both sets of them, I am wondering who actually has the issue. You or 'them'.

Wait, what?

I'm not really having an *issue* that I think about normally, it's just the reaction I had when reading the OP's post.

Once in a philosophy class our teacher put out the idea that people who grow up in two different countries (this struck home with me, as I did) can never really feel at home in either country, even though they might be able to be fluent in both cultures. That's the case for me, I think. I've lived in one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, in a 5500 square foot house for the three of us, etc. Then I've also lived in a roach infested slum where the police didn't even bother coming out when we had break-ins, and the home health care nurse said she wasn't going to come out because she didn't feel safe there. I've also lived in a lot of income brackets in between. Right now we're much more comfortable than we have been in a long time, and I'd say we're about middle class, but it's still a bit shaky as we have a lot of years of troubles to recover from.

But I stand by my point. I don't have trouble relating to both sets of them, per se, but the people that have a lower income bracket TEND to be harder for me to relate to since they grew up in a very different environment. I also have trouble relating to the "grown-up" versions of the people I used to know. I don't see how that's me being problematic and fussy, it's just the fact that as adults they have different lifestyles and daily experiences than I do.

When I was little and NOT living in America, my family was like the majority of other families - pretty poor, in American terms. However our family friends, relatives, etc., were all well-educated and enjoyed more... highbrow? interests. Social classes weren't really based on how much money one made (cos no one made any, really) but rather on different factors. There was no disposable income, but that was the case for the majority of the country at that point. I suppose they would have been considered middle class there, considering, but the middle class had much less money to work with than the middle class here had. I also grew up in an upper middle class area while in America, and as kids you don't really care how much money your family has, because you're worried about things like school and homework and while you may register that your family is going to vacation to Hawaii and the neighbors' kids are going to vacation in New Hampshire, it's not really a huge deal, because in the end you're all playing tag in the backyard anyway. Our family was fairly average in the community so it never stood out to me to worry about money. However, since growing up they have stayed at a similar income / lifestyle and it's more THEM - not me - who have decided that staying friends with us was not something they wanted to pursue. I still see the other people are hanging out together, going to weddings, going on trips together, and the like. I'm just, well, not invited. There are a couple of other people that are in similar situations as my DH and myself and they are also kind of shut out, not really maliciously but just, hmm. I don't know how to explain it, really. It's just that we don't have a whole lot of things in common anymore and we've kind of grown apart. And to me that's sad, not because I wish that I was still in with them, but rather because it's hard to grow apart from friends in general, I guess.

I have friends from all walks of life, from all different corners of the world, etc. And online I know plenty of people who I relate to and have mostly online friendships with. It's just my day-to-day life, neighborhood, etc., that I have trouble relating to the people in our income bracket who (with exceptions!) have different interests, experiences, etc., than I've had. I try to find common ground more often than not, obviously. Shrug. It complicates things when say, I meet a lovely lady from a LLL meeting, and we're getting along great, and then when they realize that we don't have money to spend on playgroup things or daily coffee or something, it throws a glitch into things. We do often agree to meet at a park or something but the kind of situation the OP brings up sometimes does happen.

I don't want to hijack the thread, I just wasn't sure how to respond to that comment that I have an issue.

coolshine.gif
#17 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have folks in for dinners and lunches. Or if pressed to go out, I check menus online and find a nice restaurant with entrees I can afford. Its always your own personal responsibility NOT to spend more than you make.

After two decades of doing well, my hubby and I are a bit pinched but we eat at home, entertain at home and only choose the occasional evening out that is affordable.

I also have friends who have more and friends who have less. They tell me our home is very warm and inviting.
seawitch likes this.
#18 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 AM

People need to take more responsibility for themselves…no one can make you spend more money then you have. If you don’t have the money don’t go on a vacation that you can’t afford or eat at restaurants that you can afford…pretty simple. People that have money aren’t bad people, just like people that don’t have money aren’t…I don’t think one makes you smarter or better then the other. Live below your means and hope like hell that you have enough money to pay all the bills and have a little fun every once in awhile.

#19 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM

I simply say "its not in the budget." We are lower income but because of the choices we've made have a 6mos savings and continue to contribute to it. That doesn't mean its free money to me that means its money to be saved KWIM???

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#20 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 AM

I didn't see anyone expressing an opinin that people with money are bad people.

But.... what exactly do you mean that people should live below their means? What about the people who literally spend every last dollar they make on their bills and still don't have enough to pay all the bills? How exactly are they supposed to live below their means? headscratch.gif
ediesmom likes this.

coolshine.gif
#21 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 AM

And I also think that most people WILL plan ahead when possible and say it's not in the budget. I don't think that's what the OP was talking about. It's where a situation arises unexpectedly where you can no longer really say no.

Like when the boss said, "it's OK, treat me next time" AFTER she had already clearly told the boss that she couldn't afford to go out. What is she supposed to say to her boss, "uh, sorry, no can do, but thanks for lunch anyway!"? I wonder how long she'd have had a job afterwards.

coolshine.gif
#22 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 PM

In this case it's time to start earning more money..... I have been there trust me...took us years...but we got there....

Quote:

I didn't see anyone expressing an opinin that people with money are bad people.
But.... what exactly do you mean that people should live below their means? What about the people who literally spend every last dollar they make on their bills and still don't have enough to pay all the bills? How exactly are they supposed to live below their means? headscratch.gif

KayleeZoo likes this.
#23 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM

We are in a tough spot financially...we aren't making ends meet and we don't have a dollar to spend. DH is at work or school from 7am-10pm and I can't work due to his schedule, having no family, and not being able to afford daycare eve if I worked 40hrs a week. It sucks major.

The point is I am just honest about our situation. I can't accept invites places even just based on extra gas money. Everyone thinks I'm just blowing them off and they are all pissed...well I'm not it's all very true. When I do go visit family the gas goes on a credit card and we already have $10000 in debt just keeps adding up. DH only made $24000 this year gross...

So it is what it is. We have one car, no cell phones, no cable, and no extras. Thankfully he is graduating in May and will hopefully get a better job ASAP. We sacrifice b/c we have too and that includes trips or dinners people are offering to pay for. It's even really hard to invite anyone over b/c of the extra food no one in my family gets it for sure but nothing I can do about that. shrug.gif

Just adding that yes I am pregnant and no one better flame me for it b/c you don't know the circumstances around it and I don't care what your opinion is.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#24 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 PM

Bearski -

Right... but that's really neither here nor there when the OP or other posters are stuck in awkward social situations with people who, presumably, are nice and well-meaning individuals, loved ones, family, friends, etc., but are still not "getting" what their financial struggles are.

I think a better question would be how much are they supposed to reveal to their friends/family/employers/co-workers/whoever about how, "no, really, REALLY it's not in the budget" without coming across as whiners or look like they're asking for a handout. Or are they supposed to just cut off all social ties with everyone until their financial situation improves?

(And I'll just say very quietly that not everyone can just *snap* make some more money. There are all sorts of reasons people are stuck in lower financial brackets. It's not necessarily a matter of "go back to school and get more money!!" or anything. Individual family situations are, well, unique. I think it's a bit insensitive to just say to go make money. Many people, especially those with low incomes, would love to do so.)
DoubleDouble likes this.

coolshine.gif
#25 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 12:35 PM

"Just adding that yes I am pregnant and no one better flame me for it b/c you don't know the circumstances around it and I don't care what your opinion is."

And to wander off on a tangent, cos that's what I love to do - I don't get why people have judgements about those things. For all you know they were on two different types of birth control which both failed. Or maybe they really were in the heat of the moment and "irresponsible". Or maybe it's because of their religious beliefs. Or maybe they were sexually assaulted but just don't want to share the details outside the family unit. Or whatever. Once you're pregnant, you're pregnant. That's really the end of the conversation and there's zero use making judgments about whether a woman "should" be preggers or not. What's done is done, so it's pointless to lecture (or give a judgmental look) or anything, IMO. /TANGENT

coolshine.gif
#26 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Oh geez this got interesting all while I was cleaning out my garage.

I think we're talking about people being in uncomfortable positions they can't afford.  First off, it can be embarrassing.  My friends wanted me to go to a spa with them last year right before Christmas.  Already my budget was tight.  I was making half of what I had made before but with the same bills.  Though I wasn't poor by any means I couldn't pay for the spa deal they wanted to do.  I had to tell them no, I can't afford it.  Instead of just letting it be they asked why.  Then went on to tell me my husband should work then if I can't even afford to go to a spa.  First... a spa is not necessary for me.  Having my husband home with the kids while I work crazy hours is.  By him staying home it alleviated 1300 a month in daycare, almost 300 a month in gas.  That doesn't include lunches or anything else that might pop up.  So for him not working we didn't have to pay out 1600 a month for him to do so.  It wasn't easy but I'm currently in the position that I can go out to do all those things.  With a different mind set though, just because I can doesn't mean others can.  And I won't put others in that position.  Where I work most people make anywhere from 45,000 to 125,000.  In San Antonio 45,000 can go along way for a family of four without big bills.  However I know lots of my friends are right there and I know they don't have extra.  I'm not going to put them in a position to feel overwhelmed by me asking them to go out and do things with me. 

I do know that some people who were there but are now rolling in the dough like to flaunt it.  I work with two like that.  They always talk about all they have bought and all that they do.  That's fine enjoy your money, but remember there are others around you that are struggling to get everything together.   They even seem like they enjoy that they can afford it while others can't.  Sounds odd but I guess you'd have to hear them. 

Telling someone to make more money is rude.  While I worked hard to be where I'm at, making more money meant I had to spend more money on certifications and study material.  I had to budget in test that cost me 500 a pop and lots of people failed them.  I took my GCIA and if you look on line in the entire world wide community there are less than 5000 of us.  However there are so many people that have taken it it's unreal.  A friend of mine had to take it 3 times... add that up... and she never passed it.  I passed it first go out of luck in my opinion.  I have to take the CISSP soon that's another 500 a test and in my office of 25 everyone has failed it atleast twice... add that up... what the FUQ!!!  I'm scared to take it but I think I can pass it first go.  I've been studying 6 months and that will give me another pay raise.  Atleast 10 grand.  Getting there takes time and money.  All in all I've spent 6,000 in tests, study material and classes.  That's a lot of money.  I did get a 20,000 pay increase but it took me almost 3 years.  So for 3 years I struggled and I honestly think that's where a lot of people are at.  Getting their stuff together and trying, the road is hard and just saying make more money... that's mean. 

sosurreal09 and DoubleDouble like this.
#27 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM

^ That's where we are at. It is humiliating having to shout from the rooftops we can't afford anything...I hate having to do it.

I *WISH* when we tell family hello we only made $24,000 this year they would use common sense that we are poor and to stop asking us for everything!

MIL was pissed we didn't get any adults Christmas presents! Seriously?! banghead.gif It was hard enough scraping together the money for our nieces and nephew!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#28 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 PM

That.

Or else people are stuck in a low income bracket because they literally don't have other options.

I hate to get redundant and share my situation, but what the heck, I know we're not the only ones in our situation. My husband has health issues and cannot work. I get a small stipend for taking care of him, which means I also cannot work. We can go weeks or months where he can't be left alone, or else weeks where he's hospitalized. I have to be with him 24 hours a day except for a few hours here and there where I judge he's doing well enough for me to leave him long enough to run an errand or two. And sometimes that means if I have to go grocery shopping for a week and he's not doing well enough that I can leave him for the hour it would take to run to the store, then we get creative with what's in the pantry. Even if I could get a home health care aide for him (which he would qualify for but doesn't want) I couldn't make enough to pay for the aide AND get my kids into daycare and still come out ahead, and we can't get daycare aide unless both parents are working (disability does not count even with a doctor's note). I don't even have the ability to work from home - been there, done that, wasn't able to do it because when his health issues escalated and we were constantly in the hospital, I failed my job deadlines. So we're on a fixed income. It recently increased a lot due to getting different sorts of disability benefits, but in the end what matters is that we simply can NOT make any money because a) he can't work and b) I can't either because of my responsibilities at home. It just, doesn't, work.

Shrug.

coolshine.gif
#29 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearski5 View Post

In this case it's time to start earning more money..... I have been there trust me...took us years...but we got there....

Hmm. I am not obligated to earn more money so that you or anyone else can insist I go to a spa or go out all the time.

I am not obligated to earn more money so that someone else can deceive me into believing I am being treated for lunch but you actually have strings attached that you won't tell me about until too late.

I am not obligated to earn more money so that someone else can place me into a situation where you know that I will need to pay various fees (mandatory gratuities, port fees, whatever) when you have full knowledge of these fees and I, because I don't live that kind of life, had no idea existed.

There is a lesson to be learned though - don't get burned. Not because I or anyone else am obligated to anyone, but I guess the bottom line is that because some people abuse the situation, you must say no to all "gifts" and "offers," because it might bite you in the butt later.

ediesmom and allthesekids like this.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#30 of 62 Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Over the last couple of years, we have drifted further and further from some of our close friends because of this issue. 

Some of them have money due to dumb luck, or dodgy dealings, and some of them have money due to working their asses off. 

None of them, however, have much understanding of our financial issues.

"we can afford it", "it's not in the budget", etc doesn't fly with them, and they see it more as us fobbing them off than anything else.  Even though they know that I have had health issues, and numerous months unable to work. 

I've been burned before by making arrangements with friends that would supposedly be "cheaper" so as not to blow them off completely.

For example, arrange to have take away for dinner instead of going out for a meal.

Choose something on the menu that is within a reasonable price range. 

Go to pick up the take away, and end up paying for our meals and meals for their family of four.

Friend says they will pay me back when we get home, then claim to have no cash, and they will just "shout" next time. 

Needless to say, we don't really have much to do with them any more. 

And can I just say, why does so much socialising have to revolve around food and drinks and eating out?

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page