NoSpend January -- Ringing in the New Year with money in the bank - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 245 Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Week 2

1/8 thumb.gif budgeted spending: $20 groceries

1/9

1/10

1/11

1/12

1/13

1/14

1/15

#122 of 245 Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey44 View Post

KEY

irked.gif unnecessary spending

eyesroll.gif necessary spending

thumb.gif no spending

1/1: irked.gif I sent DH to the store to pick up a pepper I needed for a recipe...I had bought it within the grocery budget the day before, but then DH used it without asking while fixing himself a snack...and then while he was at the store he picked up something else he wanted to make (completely disregarding the houseful of food we have, sigh). Only about $3-4, but still...

1/2: irked.gif We didn't plan properly for our trip to the nature center, and DD was HUNGRY. Again, only spent $1, but see how's it's already adding up?

1/3: thumb.gif

1/4: eyesroll.gif Gas and almond milk. Budgeted for, so it's okay.

1/5:eyesroll.gif Dog food and kitty litter.

1/6: irked.gif Beer run- we needed it, and I'll take it out of the grocery budget for the next 2 weeks (which should be how long it lasts)

1/7: eyesroll.gif Grocery shopping, printer ink

1/8: eyesroll.gif DH's medicine

1/9:

1/10:

1/11:

1/12:

#123 of 245 Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Key

thumb.gif No Spend/ Budgeted spending

irked.gif Unplanned/ unbudgeted spending

om.gif 30min spent decluttering

1.  thumb.gif We're at my ILs until tomorrow, DH and I ran to Target for MIL for popcorn, I picked up stockings and eye makeup for DH's formal office party on Saturday, all of it was put on a GC I got for Christmas, so no $$ out of pocket.  I REEEALLY wanted to buy some other stuff that we REEEEALLY didn't need, but I resistedjoy.gif

2.  thumb.gif Trip home today.  We budgeted a set amount for this trip to the ILs, and for one of the first times, we actually stayed completely in budget!!joy.gif  I'm hoping that this will set the precedent for the rest of the year, that we can set a budget and stay within it.  No extra spending, no impulse shopping, complete CONTROL!!  Tomorrow I begin decluttering for the 2012 in 2012 Decluttering Challenge.

3.  irked.gifom.gif  DH stopped for a haircut on the way home from work b/c I haven't had a free moment to cut his hair.  There's room in the budget for it, but it wasn't really budgeted for.

4.  thumb.gif  Had a play date with friends today so no money spent.

5.  thumb.gif  DH picked up part of DD2's b-day present, cupcakes, and her choice of dinner for tonight (elbow pasta w/ sauce.  Oh the joys of being 3!!)  Also purchased a used copy of DH's textbook for his class.  All spending today was budgeted.  We reviewed the budget and found we came in under budget on quite a few line items and were able to put some extra towards paying off our truck orngbiggrin.gif  Really hoping the momentum we feel this month will carry through the rest of the year praying.gif

6.  thumb.gif  om.gif

7.  thumb.gif  om.gif

8.  irked.gif  om.gif  $62 spent at Chili's for an unplanned lunch out after church w/ my brother, SIL, and nieces, though it was $$ well spent b/c I don't get to spend much time w/ that part of my family.  Undecorated our Christmas decor today and got rid of quite a few things I didn't use or want anymore.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#124 of 245 Old 01-08-2012, 04:55 PM

thumb.gif - Nothing spent

redface.gif - Budgeted spending for groceries, gas or bills

irked.gif - Other spending

1/1 - thumb.gif

1/2 - thumb.gif

1/3 - thumb.gif

1/4 - thumb.gif

1/5 - redface.gif $30 for gas

1/6 - redface.gif $36.60 for groceries

1/7 - thumb.gif

1/8 - redface.gif $63.03 for groceries

knit.gifMama to DS born 8/6/10 and new baby DD 1/6/13

#125 of 245 Old 01-08-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Easy day at home.  No spending.  

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 3 -- 40.00 cash for hospital stay/food, 15.22 flowers, 13.12 cell phone minutes

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 7 -- 28.61 birthday gift

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 9 -- 

Jan 10 -- 

January savings goal is at 116% 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#126 of 245 Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Ooops, had to take back one no spend day, I didn't see until they hit the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

1/1 orngbiggrin.gif

1/2 orngbiggrin.gif

1/3 $0.27 grocery budget, $20 check for DD3's birth certificate

1/4 $30 to replace our flat tire, $2 on a tip for going out for our anniversary (dinner was on a $10 gift card), $2.41 postage (PBS book), $30 phone

1/5 $5.47 for part of a meal we took to a friend, $37.16 car insurance

1/6 orngbiggrin.gif

1/7 orngbiggrin.gif

1/8 orngbiggrin.gif

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#127 of 245 Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 AM

1/1: No spend

1/2: No spend.  Working OT tonight.

1/3: irked.gif Shoot!  Forgot to return my library book yesterday, and now have a fine.  Worse yet, it's an interlibrary loan book... $2/day.

1/4:  No spend.  And turns out there's a grace period on the interlibrary loan book, so no fine. 

1/5: No spend.  Grocery day is tomorrow, so I'm steeling myself for the stores.

1/6:  Budgeted grocery spending (47$)... less than expected.

1/7: 9$ at farmers market (budgeted pocket money) on apple cider and apple butter.

1/8: a few dollars at the grocery store (budgeted).  Sent DH out to get the butter I forgot due to forgetting my shopping list on grocery day, and he also found a really good loss leader deal.  You have to admit, given that six months ago we didn't know what a loss leader was, he's really stepping up to the plate on this stuff!  Anyway, he came home with chicken for <1$/lb. for the freezer. 

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#128 of 245 Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 AM

1and 2-irked.gif We were out of town so I spent for food and some small things at Target and DH was separate from us so I'm sure he spent, too.
3- irked.gif DH bought lunch out. I told him last night to consider us dirt poor for the next two months. Not sure how long he'll remember that, but he got up and made his lunch this morning. joy.gif
4- thumb.gif DH went and bought cat food and also decided to get other stuff. We had the food budget left to cover it so that's ok.
5- thumb.gif
6- thumb.gif We did our weekly (budgeted for) grocery shopping. I actually slashed the budget by $63 to begin with (trying to make this budget work somehow while I'm not getting paid so we're eating way cheap this week - think eggs, meatless spaghetti, and the like) and then came in $6.50 under. So that will go back to the bank to help with next week's bills. Oh, and when I paid this week's allotted bills I was still able to put $46 into our sinking funds. It's nowhere near the monthly savings goal, but I guess every little bit counts.
7- thumb.gif
8- irked.gif DH rented a redbox movie.
9- irked.gif DH has to buy dress shirts and a book for a conference his work is sending him to tomorrow.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#129 of 245 Old 01-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

01..  thumb.gif

02..  $14 Pizza Hut

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..   $50 Tequila (the big bottle)

06..  thumb.gif

07..  $25 dinner out with friends

08..  thumb.gif

09..  $15 Triple Sec

#130 of 245 Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

My nursing boobs are aching and swollen....my old nursing bras are too worn and unsupportive.   I bought new bras online and hope they help.   

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 3 -- 40.00 cash for hospital stay/food, 15.22 flowers, 13.12 cell phone minutes

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 9 -- 60.00 nursing bras

Jan 10 -- 

January savings goal is at 116% 

#131 of 245 Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM

KEY

thumb.gif no spending

1/1: irked.gif I sent DH to the store to pick up a pepper I needed for a recipe...I had bought it within the grocery budget the day before, but then DH used it without asking while fixing himself a snack...and then while he was at the store he picked up something else he wanted to make (completely disregarding the houseful of food we have, sigh). Only about $3-4, but still...

1/2: irked.gif We didn't plan properly for our trip to the nature center, and DD was HUNGRY. Again, only spent $1, but see how's it's already adding up?

1/6: irked.gif Beer run- we needed it, and I'll take it out of the grocery budget for the next 2 weeks (which should be how long it lasts)

1/7: eyesroll.gif Grocery shopping, printer ink

1/8: eyesroll.gif DH's medicine

1/9: eyesroll.gif gas  irked.gif shipping costs to send all my old cloth diapers to my cousin- I was glad to do it, but didn't realize the shipping would be so expensive, and it wasn't part of the budget

1/10:

1/11:

1/12:

#132 of 245 Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Key

1.  thumb.gif We're at my ILs until tomorrow, DH and I ran to Target for MIL for popcorn, I picked up stockings and eye makeup for DH's formal office party on Saturday, all of it was put on a GC I got for Christmas, so no $$ out of pocket.  I REEEALLY wanted to buy some other stuff that we REEEEALLY didn't need, but I resistedjoy.gif

2.  thumb.gif Trip home today.  We budgeted a set amount for this trip to the ILs, and for one of the first times, we actually stayed completely in budget!!joy.gif  I'm hoping that this will set the precedent for the rest of the year, that we can set a budget and stay within it.  No extra spending, no impulse shopping, complete CONTROL!!  Tomorrow I begin decluttering for the 2012 in 2012 Decluttering Challenge.

3.  irked.gifom.gif  DH stopped for a haircut on the way home from work b/c I haven't had a free moment to cut his hair.  There's room in the budget for it, but it wasn't really budgeted for.

5.  thumb.gif  DH picked up part of DD2's b-day present, cupcakes, and her choice of dinner for tonight (elbow pasta w/ sauce.  Oh the joys of being 3!!)  Also purchased a used copy of DH's textbook for his class.  All spending today was budgeted.  We reviewed the budget and found we came in under budget on quite a few line items and were able to put some extra towards paying off our truck orngbiggrin.gif  Really hoping the momentum we feel this month will carry through the rest of the year praying.gif

6.  thumb.gif  om.gif

7.  thumb.gif  om.gif

8.  irked.gif  om.gif  $62 spent at Chili's for an unplanned lunch out after church w/ my brother, SIL, and nieces, though it was $$ well spent b/c I don't get to spend much time w/ that part of my family.  Undecorated our Christmas decor today and got rid of quite a few things I didn't use or want anymore.

9.  irked.gif  om.gif  $24 spent at McD's for lunch.  2 of my kids had dr appts today and I didn't plan very well and had to grab lunch on the go.  I did however resist stopping for Starbucks on the way back and just waited to make coffee at home.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#133 of 245 Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM

Week 2

1/9 $17.50 at Goodwill: mixing bowls, wood hangers and a measuring cup, all needed, DD1 cute Gymboree t-shirt, not really needed. And then I spent $34 - ordered my DD2 a nightie (on sale 50% off) and DD1 slippers (not on sale) from LL Bean. Not absolutely necessary, but will be used. Ah, well. Thrift and online shopping, truly a weakness.

1/10

1/11

1/12

1/13

1/14

1/15

#134 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 AM

Pre-emptive strike -- I'm posting that today I WILL NOT SPEND and I've just locked my wallet in the filing cabinet for the day.  My last purchase (before January 1st) from backcountry.com just arrived in the mail...that brown truck will not be pulling up to my house again for the rest of the month.

And I've bought enough liquor to stock my own bar so I'm all set there.  2whistle.gif

I am going out to eat with friends a few more times this month, so I need to be very cautious on these excursions and try to keep the costs minimal.  Maybe eat dinner before and just have an appetizer or desert to keep costs down.

My daughters want to go ice skating and I'm planning to take them...but I'm thinking of that as paying for experiences, so I'm not sure if I'll consider that wasteful spending or not...

Quote:

01..  thumb.gif

02..  $14 Pizza Hut

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

06..  thumb.gif

08..  thumb.gif

09..  $15 Triple Sec

10..  thumb.gif

#135 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 AM

Ruthie -- Nursing bras that fit are a NECESSITY.  Think of how much money (lots and lots) you are saving by nursing and go get you some bras that fit.

#136 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 AM

1/1: No spend

1/2: No spend.  Working OT tonight.

1/3: irked.gif Shoot!  Forgot to return my library book yesterday, and now have a fine.  Worse yet, it's an interlibrary loan book... $2/day.

1/4:  No spend.  And turns out there's a grace period on the interlibrary loan book, so no fine. 

1/5: No spend.  Grocery day is tomorrow, so I'm steeling myself for the stores.

1/6:  Budgeted grocery spending (47$)... less than expected.

1/7: 9$ at farmers market (budgeted pocket money) on apple cider and apple butter.

1/8: a few dollars at the grocery store (budgeted).  Sent DH out to get the butter I forgot due to forgetting my shopping list on grocery day, and he also found a really good loss leader deal.  You have to admit, given that six months ago we didn't know what a loss leader was, he's really stepping up to the plate on this stuff!  Anyway, he came home with chicken for <1$/lb. for the freezer. 

1/9: No spend.  Made a huge pot of black bean chili, which should last the week.

1/10.  This should be a no spend day.  Baking in the morning, reading in the evening.  And I've got a new book, Radical Homemakers, to inspire me.  Working OT shift tonight, so that'll both bring in some extra money and remove the temptation to spend it.  And, after many moons of just growing herbs in my indoor container garden, I'm getting some tomato seeds this week from a neighbor to start some tomatos.

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#137 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 AM

I'm a little late in the game but I'm hoping I can still join in! 

My name is Diana, and I'm a mom of two (a four year old and a newborn).

I'm hoping to be able to save a bit of $ here and there (as times are tough everywhere). No particular reason, except for the fact that I've got to buy a pair of jeans, since I haven't in about four years, and now my favorite pair is falling apart quite literally. So I'm hoping to save some $$ so I can do some thrift store clothes shopping. 

I'm hoping to train myself to not spend as much,  and try to save $, even when money is tight, though living in New York makes that quite difficult at times. 

Nice to meet everyone!

-The Craftaholic
http://www.thecraftaholic.com

--------------------------------------------------------
“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”
Jalal ad-Din Rumi

#138 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 AM

And actually, so far, all we've purchased is diaper cream and groceries. Good to go, so far!

-The Craftaholic
http://www.thecraftaholic.com

--------------------------------------------------------
“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”
Jalal ad-Din Rumi

#139 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

That is how I see it too.  My babies tend to nurse a long time, so comfy bras seemed like a  priority.  And we have gotten away with spending very little on this baby.  My friends are all done having kids and have sent piles of hand me downs our way.

#140 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 10 -- thumb.gif

January savings goal is at 126% 

#141 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Key

6.  thumb.gif  om.gif

7.  thumb.gif  om.gif

9.  irked.gif  om.gif  $24 spent at McD's for lunch.  2 of my kids had dr appts today and I didn't plan very well and had to grab lunch on the go.  I did however resist stopping for Starbucks on the way back and just waited to make coffee at home.

10.  thumb.gif and LOTS of om.gif

#142 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey44 View Post

KEY

thumb.gif no spending

1/9: eyesroll.gif gas  irked.gif shipping costs to send all my old cloth diapers to my cousin- I was glad to do it, but didn't realize the shipping would be so expensive, and it wasn't part of the budget

1/10: thumb.gif

1/11:

1/12:

#143 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 03:55 PM

1and 2-irked.gif We were out of town so I spent for food and some small things at Target and DH was separate from us so I'm sure he spent, too.
3- irked.gif DH bought lunch out. I told him last night to consider us dirt poor for the next two months. Not sure how long he'll remember that, but he got up and made his lunch this morning. joy.gif
4- thumb.gif DH went and bought cat food and also decided to get other stuff. We had the food budget left to cover it so that's ok.
5- thumb.gif
6- thumb.gif We did our weekly (budgeted for) grocery shopping. I actually slashed the budget by $63 to begin with (trying to make this budget work somehow while I'm not getting paid so we're eating way cheap this week - think eggs, meatless spaghetti, and the like) and then came in $6.50 under. So that will go back to the bank to help with next week's bills. Oh, and when I paid this week's allotted bills I was still able to put $46 into our sinking funds. It's nowhere near the monthly savings goal, but I guess every little bit counts.
7- thumb.gif
9- irked.gif DH had to buy dress shirts and a book for a conference his work. We paid $50 from savings, and DH covered the rest from his Christmas money.
10- irked.gif $50 given to DH for food while he's gone to the conference. I hate unexpected expenses. I'm going to try to pay it back from our food budget on Friday.

Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#144 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 PM

5- thumb.gif
7- thumb.gif
9- irked.gif DH had to buy dress shirts and a book for a conference his work. We paid $50 from savings, and DH covered the rest from his Christmas money.
10- irked.gif $50 given to DH for food while he's gone to the conference. I hate unexpected expenses. I'm going to try to pay it back from our food budget on Friday.

OH great! DD dropped out of dance, and I called them yesterday to let them know. But today they auto-debited $45 out of our bank account (money that is supposed to pay the electric bill on Thursday). I called and they claim there is a 30 day notice that is required. Such BS. I don't have $45 to just throw away. I feel like crying.

#145 of 245 Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Week 2

1/9 $17.50 at Goodwill: mixing bowls, wood hangers and a measuring cup, all needed, DD1 cute Gymboree t-shirt, not really needed. And then I spent $34 - ordered my DD2 a nightie (on sale 50% off) and DD1 slippers (not on sale) from LL Bean. Not absolutely necessary, but will be used. Ah, well. Thrift and online shopping, truly a weakness.

1/10 smile.gif No spend day. Went to the gym, then my a.m. kindergarten daughter had a friend over this afternoon. Got some chores done around the house. 

1/11

1/12

1/13

1/14

1/15

#146 of 245 Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:

01..  thumb.gif

02..  $14 Pizza Hut

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

06..  thumb.gif

08..  thumb.gif

09..  $15 Triple Sec

10..  thumb.gif

11..  $5 McDonald's

#147 of 245 Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Jan 1 - orngbiggrin.gif

Jan 2 - Groceries/household goodies (326/500) thumb.gif
Jan 3 - orngbiggrin.gif (and it was my first day back to work after vacation!!)
Jan 4 - orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 5 - thumb.gif (Spent $10/$40 on some kombacha - but I get to reuse the bottles for my own brews this month)
Jan 6 - thumb.gif (spent $10/30 on Taco Bell Dinner since DH was going to D&D night)
Jan 7 - thumb.gif for DS & a friend birthday party (we split it with another family to keep the costs down since they are so close together)
Jan 8 - thumb.gif ($11 groceries)
Jan 9 - orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 10 - orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 11 - thumb.gif ($1.12/20) popcorn break today at work

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#148 of 245 Old 01-11-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Crumbs, I let a stack of books sit in my van for the past week and the library increased their fines to .10 a day per book.  It added up fast!  

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 10 -- thumb.gif

Jan 11 -- 14.90 library fines   irked.gif

January savings goal is at 126% 

#149 of 245 Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by petey44 View Post

KEY

thumb.gif no spending

1/9: eyesroll.gif gas irked.gif shipping costs to send all my old cloth diapers to my cousin- I was glad to do it, but didn't realize the shipping would be so expensive, and it wasn't part of the budget

1/10: thumb.gif

1/11: thumb.gif

1/12:

#150 of 245 Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Key

6.  thumb.gif  om.gif

7.  thumb.gif  om.gif

10.  thumb.gif and LOTS of om.gif

11.  thumb.gif

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page