NoSpend January -- Ringing in the New Year with money in the bank - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 245 Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not going to torture you (or me) with all the details about how badly I fell of the wagon.  Today is a new day, and I'm back on the wagon after a mid-month emergency budget meeting with DH.  Basically, we're only halfway through the month and have spent 2/3 of our budget.  Yikes.  The worst thing is it was all dumb stuff -- an extra 10$ on this or that. 

1/17: budgeted spending -- hair clippers (we're going to start cutting hair at home), minimal groceries

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#182 of 245 Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 AM

I've neglected to post again on this thread b/c I've been preoccupied with  the 2012/2012 decluttering thread.....but I have done well. I cancelled my YMCA membership, which will save about $80 per month. I did have an impulse buy...while waiting for Once Upon a ChIld to go through my drop-offs, I saw a cool Marvel Heroes Guess Who game for $4.50 and bought it.  I felt so bad afterwards --- not because of the $4.50, but because I fell off the wagon and bought something completely unnecessary!  Oh and BTW, that was the last time I EVER sell stuff at Once Upon a Child! Next time I am going to the locally owned resale shops. 

#183 of 245 Old 01-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey44 View Post

KEY

irked.gif unnecessary spending

eyesroll.gif necessary spending

thumb.gif no spending

1/1: irked.gif I sent DH to the store to pick up a pepper I needed for a recipe...I had bought it within the grocery budget the day before, but then DH used it without asking while fixing himself a snack...and then while he was at the store he picked up something else he wanted to make (completely disregarding the houseful of food we have, sigh). Only about $3-4, but still...

1/2: irked.gif We didn't plan properly for our trip to the nature center, and DD was HUNGRY. Again, only spent $1, but see how's it's already adding up?

1/3: thumb.gif

1/4: eyesroll.gif Gas and almond milk. Budgeted for, so it's okay.

1/5:eyesroll.gif Dog food and kitty litter.

1/6: irked.gif Beer run- we needed it, and I'll take it out of the grocery budget for the next 2 weeks (which should be how long it lasts)

1/7: eyesroll.gif Grocery shopping, printer ink

1/8: eyesroll.gif DH's medicine

1/9: eyesroll.gif gas irked.gif shipping costs to send all my old cloth diapers to my cousin- I was glad to do it, but didn't realize the shipping would be so expensive, and it wasn't part of the budget

1/10: thumb.gif

1/11: thumb.gif

1/12: thumb.gif

1/13: irked.gif $1 for me to wear jeans to work, $30 for DH to eat out at a team birthday lunch at work, and $14 for dinner and snack for tonight. Because it was a bad day and I don't feel like doing anything complicated

1/14: eyesroll.gif Groceries

1/15: irked.gif Lunch out alone w/DH, yay! And while out, we sold some books to a used book store, so lunch actually turned out even cheaper

1/16: irked.gif Birdseed, something about putting air in the tires of the jogging stroller???, and some winter shoes for me.  The shoes and birdseed were budgeted for, in a way, I guess, because they were on the master list of things to buy when possible- this is a list of everything outside of groceries and household supplies that DH or I need or want, and we talk through it before buying anything from that list

1/17: eyesroll.gif DD's vitamins

1/18:

1/19:

1/20:

1/21:

#184 of 245 Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I have been spending a bit, some budgeted and some not.

I sent in our seed order which was a big chunk of cash.  We normally grow a big garden, but skipped it last year since we were away from home for the growing season.  So, we needed fresh seed.    

And I got talked into spending some money at Amazon -- the kids got gift cards for Christmas, but needed a bit extra to get what they really wanted.  I chose to cover them and let them get some very cool new Legos and books that I know they will enjoy.  

Bills are coming in under or on budget, so all is good with our money right now.  

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 3 -- 40.00 cash for hospital stay/food, 15.22 flowers, 13.12 cell phone minutes

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 7 -- 28.61 birthday gift

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 9 -- 60.00 nursing bras

Jan 10 -- thumb.gif

Jan 11 -- 14.90 library fines   irked.gif

Jan 12 -- thumb.gif

Jan 13 -- thumb.gif

Jan 14 -- thumb.gif

Jan 15 -- thumb.gif

Jan 16 -- 23.07 Amazon

Jan 17 -- thumb.gif  + seed order for 2012 garden

Jan 18

January savings goal is at 126% 

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#185 of 245 Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

15.  thumb.gif  Stayed home and made a special day of watching the football playoff game.    We also looked over our master budget and if we stay completely on task, we will pay off our Suburban in March, a full 19 months early biggrinbounce.gif

Wow!!!  That is huge.  Way to go!

#186 of 245 Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM

Not doing too badly on the month but not as impressively as I would have liked. We have a ton of expenses coming up in the next few months and things are not just standing still this month so I can save for them. We need to buy a new vehicle and have been saving to buy it in cash but after lots of searching and discussion, I think hubby and I have decided to buy new instead of used which means we may need up to 10k more than we had saved. 10k is about what we can manage to save in a year so now I feel a year behind on everything. Frustrating 

Jan 1: <free pass>yummy.gif

Jan 2: stillheart.gif

Jan 3: 47.75 oops.gif

Jan 4:  stillheart.gif

Jan 5: Groceries yummy.gif

Jan 6:  semi-planned dinner outyummy.gif

Jan 7:  stillheart.gif

Jan 8:  stillheart.gif

Jan 9:  stillheart.gif

Jan 10: so far so good...stillheart.gif

Jan 11:stillheart.gif

Jan 12:stillheart.gif

Jan 13: Groceries yummy.gif

Jan 14:stillheart.gif

Jan 15: Bathing suits ordered for the kids

Jan 16:  $15.xx Unplanned Dinner out oops.gif

Jan 17:

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#187 of 245 Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

Wow!!!  That is huge.  Way to go!

Thank you, we're quite excited about it!!  Especially since DH will be needing a new car end of this year/ beginning of 2013.  Saving the car payment/ having this breathing room for a while will be essential.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#188 of 245 Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Key

thumb.gif No Spend/ Budgeted spending

irked.gif Unplanned/ unbudgeted spending

om.gif 30min spent decluttering

1.  thumb.gif We're at my ILs until tomorrow, DH and I ran to Target for MIL for popcorn, I picked up stockings and eye makeup for DH's formal office party on Saturday, all of it was put on a GC I got for Christmas, so no $$ out of pocket.  I REEEALLY wanted to buy some other stuff that we REEEEALLY didn't need, but I resistedjoy.gif

2.  thumb.gif Trip home today.  We budgeted a set amount for this trip to the ILs, and for one of the first times, we actually stayed completely in budget!!joy.gif  I'm hoping that this will set the precedent for the rest of the year, that we can set a budget and stay within it.  No extra spending, no impulse shopping, complete CONTROL!!  Tomorrow I begin decluttering for the 2012 in 2012 Decluttering Challenge.

3.  irked.gifom.gif  DH stopped for a haircut on the way home from work b/c I haven't had a free moment to cut his hair.  There's room in the budget for it, but it wasn't really budgeted for.

4.  thumb.gif  Had a play date with friends today so no money spent.

5.  thumb.gif  DH picked up part of DD2's b-day present, cupcakes, and her choice of dinner for tonight (elbow pasta w/ sauce.  Oh the joys of being 3!!)  Also purchased a used copy of DH's textbook for his class.  All spending today was budgeted.  We reviewed the budget and found we came in under budget on quite a few line items and were able to put some extra towards paying off our truck orngbiggrin.gif  Really hoping the momentum we feel this month will carry through the rest of the year praying.gif

6.  thumb.gif  om.gif

7.  thumb.gif  om.gif

8.  irked.gif  om.gif  $62 spent at Chili's for an unplanned lunch out after church w/ my brother, SIL, and nieces, though it was $$ well spent b/c I don't get to spend much time w/ that part of my family.  Undecorated our Christmas decor today and got rid of quite a few things I didn't use or want anymore.

9.  irked.gif  om.gif  $24 spent at McD's for lunch.  2 of my kids had dr appts today and I didn't plan very well and had to grab lunch on the go.  I did however resist stopping for Starbucks on the way back and just waited to make coffee at home.

10.  thumb.gif and LOTS of om.gif

11.  thumb.gif

12.  thumb.gif

13.  irked.gif (but it's really not) $160 at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for seeds/ bulbs for this year's garden.  It wasn't budgeted, but we got a partial insurance reimbursement (for my homebirth joy.gif).  We didn't think we'd be getting the reimbursement, so we didn't have it allocated to anything.  A portion went to seeds, a portion will go to DH's new computer monitor he's saving up for, and the rest will go towards our truck, bringing us a few more months closer to paying it off!!  Oh, and om.gif

14.  thumb.gif  Did our once-a-month bulk shop at Costco today and regular food shopping.  Stuck to the list, didn't go to any other stores, and stayed completely within budget.

15.  thumb.gif  Stayed home and made a special day of watching the football playoff game.    We also looked over our master budget and if we stay completely on task, we will pay off our Suburban in March, a full 19 months early biggrinbounce.gif

16.  irked.gif  While out, DH bought lunchmeat, rolls, and chips for lunch.  I thought the total would come in under $30, but he spent over $50.  On the upside, there was a whole lot of om.gif

17.  thumb.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#189 of 245 Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 PM

KEY

thumb.gif no spending

1/1: irked.gif I sent DH to the store to pick up a pepper I needed for a recipe...I had bought it within the grocery budget the day before, but then DH used it without asking while fixing himself a snack...and then while he was at the store he picked up something else he wanted to make (completely disregarding the houseful of food we have, sigh). Only about $3-4, but still...

1/2: irked.gif We didn't plan properly for our trip to the nature center, and DD was HUNGRY. Again, only spent $1, but see how's it's already adding up?

1/6: irked.gif Beer run- we needed it, and I'll take it out of the grocery budget for the next 2 weeks (which should be how long it lasts)

1/9: eyesroll.gif gas irked.gif shipping costs to send all my old cloth diapers to my cousin- I was glad to do it, but didn't realize the shipping would be so expensive, and it wasn't part of the budget

1/13: irked.gif $1 for me to wear jeans to work, $30 for DH to eat out at a team birthday lunch at work, and $14 for dinner and snack for tonight. Because it was a bad day and I don't feel like doing anything complicated

1/15: irked.gif Lunch out alone w/DH, yay! And while out, we sold some books to a used book store, so lunch actually turned out even cheaper

1/16: irked.gif Birdseed, something about putting air in the tires of the jogging stroller???, and some winter shoes for me. The shoes and birdseed were budgeted for, in a way, I guess, because they were on the master list of things to buy when possible- this is a list of everything outside of groceries and household supplies that DH or I need or want, and we talk through it before buying anything from that list

1/17: eyesroll.gif DD's vitamins

1/18: irked.gif Almost $200 to treat an allergic reaction my dog had!!  Ugh!!!

1/19:

1/20:

1/21:

#190 of 245 Old 01-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Week 3

1/15 $8 snacks out

1/16 smile.gif No spend! Lots of snow here. Went skiing and brought our own food/drinks.

1/17 Costco groceries, Co-op groceries, front brake pads for car, 

1/18 smile.gif No spend! Snow day here, lots of sledding, cocoa and cookies.

1/19

1/20

1/21

#191 of 245 Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 3 -- 40.00 cash for hospital stay/food, 15.22 flowers, 13.12 cell phone minutes

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 10 -- thumb.gif

Jan 12 -- thumb.gif

Jan 13 -- thumb.gif

Jan 14 -- thumb.gif

Jan 15 -- thumb.gif

Jan 16 -- 23.07 Amazon

Jan 18 -- thumb.gif

#192 of 245 Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 PM

1/17: budgeted spending -- hair clippers (we're going to start cutting hair at home), minimal groceries

1/18: No spend.  Hair clippers used for first haircut on DH.  Not the best haircut ever given, but reasonably okay.  Phew.  It didn't help that I couldn't stop giggling the whole time!

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#193 of 245 Old 01-19-2012, 05:17 PM

Week 3

1/15 $8 snacks out

1/16 smile.gif No spend! Lots of snow here. Went skiing and brought our own food/drinks.

1/17 Costco groceries, Co-op groceries, front brake pads for car at car dealer. Expensive day.

1/19 smile.gif No spend! Another snow day with board games, more sledding and happy hour at neighbor's house. 

1/20 

1/21

#194 of 245 Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey44 View Post

KEY

thumb.gif no spending

1/16: irked.gif Birdseed, something about putting air in the tires of the jogging stroller???, and some winter shoes for me. The shoes and birdseed were budgeted for, in a way, I guess, because they were on the master list of things to buy when possible- this is a list of everything outside of groceries and household supplies that DH or I need or want, and we talk through it before buying anything from that list

1/17: eyesroll.gif DD's vitamins

1/18: irked.gif Almost $200 to treat an allergic reaction my dog had!!  Ugh!!!

1/19: eyesroll.gif Gas- and wow I haven't had a no spend day in a week.  That sucks.

1/20:

1/21:

#195 of 245 Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM

1/18: No spend.  Hair clippers used for first haircut on DH.  Not the best haircut ever given, but reasonably okay.  Phew.  It didn't help that I couldn't stop giggling the whole time!

1/19: No spend.

#196 of 245 Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 10 -- thumb.gif

Jan 12 -- thumb.gif

Jan 13 -- thumb.gif

Jan 14 -- thumb.gif

Jan 15 -- thumb.gif

Jan 16 -- 23.07 Amazon

Jan 18 -- thumb.gif

Jan 19 -- thumb.gif

Jan 20

Jan 21

Jan 22

#197 of 245 Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 PM

I just cannot seem to lay of Amazon this month irked.gif Today was definitely a personal splurge but I am totally going to budget it as homeschooling supplies.. homeschooling me :-p I feel like I am totally failing this month and am already looking forward to next month. I guess the good news is that the grocery budget is somewhat acceptable. We will probably come in at least $500 below last month which sounds remarkable but only gives a slight idea about how horrible last month was.

Jan 1: <free pass>yummy.gif

Jan 2: stillheart.gif

Jan 3: 47.75 oops.gif

Jan 4:  stillheart.gif

Jan 5: Groceries yummy.gif

Jan 6:  semi-planned dinner outyummy.gif

Jan 7:  stillheart.gif

Jan 8:  stillheart.gif

Jan 9:  stillheart.gif

Jan 10: so far so good...stillheart.gif

Jan 11:stillheart.gif

Jan 12:stillheart.gif

Jan 13: Groceries yummy.gif

Jan 14:stillheart.gif

Jan 15: Bathing suits ordered for the kids

Jan 16:  $15.xx Unplanned Dinner out oops.gif

Jan 17: Another take-out dinner

Jan 18: stillheart.gif

Jan 19:oops.gif  $32.xx on Assimil French

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#198 of 245 Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

01..  thumb.gif

02..  $14 Pizza Hut

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..   $50 Tequila (the big bottle)

06..  thumb.gif

07..  $25 dinner out with friends

08..  thumb.gif

09..  $15 Triple Sec

10..  thumb.gif

11..  $5 McDonald's

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

16..  $6 wetbag from WAHM, $15 Pizza Hut, $6 ice skating, $30 date night

17..  thumb.gif

18..  $5 McDonald's

19..  thumb.gif

#199 of 245 Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Prudence!  I just wanted to say hello.  It's great to see you here again. 

I took a long long break from the board -- spent the last year dealing with the aftermath of an unexpected divorce...still kind of in the thick of it.

I went four months without child support, then he caught up over the holidays, and now he's threatening to cut the amount he promised to pay.  I'm pinching pennies and back to no-spend, though I probably won't have time to post much.

Wonder if I can do a no-spend year.  I bet I can.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#200 of 245 Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 AM

1/1 - thumb.gif

1/2 - thumb.gif

1/3 - thumb.gif

1/4 - thumb.gif

1/5 - redface.gif $30 for gas

1/6 - redface.gif $36.60 for groceries

1/7 - thumb.gif

1/8 - redface.gif $63.03 for groceries

1/9 - thumb.gif

1/10 - redface.gif  $190.53 for utilities

1/11 - thumb.gif

1/12 - irked.gif $30 for a gift that I should have budgeted for, but kinda forgot about and had to do at the last minute. I fear there may be more like this coming up :/

1/13 - thumb.gif

1/14 - redface.gif and also irked.gif since I went a little over-budget) $116 for groceries and calamine lotion, my baby has had the chicken pox!

1/15 - thumb.gif

1/16 -thumb.gif

1/17 - thumb.gif

1/18 - thumb.gif

1/19 - $21 at toy store for birthday gifts for babies in our playgroup. again, not budgeted for, though they probably should have been.  I knew they were coming up!

1/20 - thumb.gif

Doing pretty well!  I haven't been counting DH's expenditures, but he assures me he's been doing very well too. With his next paycheck we should be recovered from the Christmas credit card bills, but sadly I think we'd have to continue into February to get ahead with savings at all.  Argh!

knit.gifMama to DS born 8/6/10 and new baby DD 1/6/13

#201 of 245 Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Crumbs.  Our van needs some work.  $175 so far and more to come.  Dh ordered the parts and we will pay to have them installed in a week or two.  Looks like it will run about $550 total.  The money is going on a credit card for now.  We need to pay our taxes and are building our cash right now.  Once we pay the taxes, we will pay off the van repair.  Bummer.  

Now we really need to keep our expenses low!  

The rest of the day is no spend.  I have soup simmering for dinner, making pizza for the kids (Friday night treat).  We have money set aside to buy the boys new shoes and will do that this weekend.  They both wear through their shoes at an alarming rate.  I do have a $25 gift certificate to help offset the costs.  

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 10 -- thumb.gif

Jan 12 -- thumb.gif

Jan 13 -- thumb.gif

Jan 14 -- thumb.gif

Jan 15 -- thumb.gif

Jan 16 -- 23.07 Amazon

Jan 18 -- thumb.gif

Jan 19 -- thumb.gif

Jan 20 -- 175.00 parts to fix van

Jan 21 -- thumb.gif

Jan 22

#202 of 245 Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Key

thumb.gif No Spend/ Budgeted spending

irked.gif Unplanned/ unbudgeted spending

om.gif 30min spent decluttering

1.  thumb.gif We're at my ILs until tomorrow, DH and I ran to Target for MIL for popcorn, I picked up stockings and eye makeup for DH's formal office party on Saturday, all of it was put on a GC I got for Christmas, so no $$ out of pocket.  I REEEALLY wanted to buy some other stuff that we REEEEALLY didn't need, but I resistedjoy.gif

2.  thumb.gif Trip home today.  We budgeted a set amount for this trip to the ILs, and for one of the first times, we actually stayed completely in budget!!joy.gif  I'm hoping that this will set the precedent for the rest of the year, that we can set a budget and stay within it.  No extra spending, no impulse shopping, complete CONTROL!!  Tomorrow I begin decluttering for the 2012 in 2012 Decluttering Challenge.

3.  irked.gifom.gif  DH stopped for a haircut on the way home from work b/c I haven't had a free moment to cut his hair.  There's room in the budget for it, but it wasn't really budgeted for.

4.  thumb.gif  Had a play date with friends today so no money spent.

5.  thumb.gif  DH picked up part of DD2's b-day present, cupcakes, and her choice of dinner for tonight (elbow pasta w/ sauce.  Oh the joys of being 3!!)  Also purchased a used copy of DH's textbook for his class.  All spending today was budgeted.  We reviewed the budget and found we came in under budget on quite a few line items and were able to put some extra towards paying off our truck orngbiggrin.gif  Really hoping the momentum we feel this month will carry through the rest of the year praying.gif

6.  thumb.gif  om.gif

7.  thumb.gif  om.gif

8.  irked.gif  om.gif  $62 spent at Chili's for an unplanned lunch out after church w/ my brother, SIL, and nieces, though it was $$ well spent b/c I don't get to spend much time w/ that part of my family.  Undecorated our Christmas decor today and got rid of quite a few things I didn't use or want anymore.

9.  irked.gif  om.gif  $24 spent at McD's for lunch.  2 of my kids had dr appts today and I didn't plan very well and had to grab lunch on the go.  I did however resist stopping for Starbucks on the way back and just waited to make coffee at home.

10.  thumb.gif and LOTS of om.gif

11.  thumb.gif

12.  thumb.gif

13.  irked.gif (but it's really not) $160 at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for seeds/ bulbs for this year's garden.  It wasn't budgeted, but we got a partial insurance reimbursement (for my homebirth joy.gif).  We didn't think we'd be getting the reimbursement, so we didn't have it allocated to anything.  A portion went to seeds, a portion will go to DH's new computer monitor he's saving up for, and the rest will go towards our truck, bringing us a few more months closer to paying it off!!  Oh, and om.gif

14.  thumb.gif  Did our once-a-month bulk shop at Costco today and regular food shopping.  Stuck to the list, didn't go to any other stores, and stayed completely within budget.

16.  irked.gif  While out, DH bought lunchmeat, rolls, and chips for lunch.  I thought the total would come in under $30, but he spent over $50.  On the upside, there was a whole lot of om.gif

17.  thumb.gif

18.  irked.gif  Had to send DH out for Children's Motrin and saltines for DD1, who wasn't feeling well.  While at the store, he picked up beer for himself.

19.  thumb.gif  Got our Amazon Trade-in credit for DH's old textbooks.

20.  thumb.gif  Putting this here preemptively.  I have to pickup our weekly milk and egg order and that should be all we need to spend today.

#203 of 245 Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM

1/19: No spend.

1/20:  Budgeted spending.  On a tip I went to one of the local ethnic stores... holy smokes, even the non-ethnic stuff (like flour) is less than half what I pay at the market!  And right nearby was this guy in a truck selling produce for 1/5 of what they sell it for in the grocery store.  Total damage for this week's groceries: $4.50.  No, not a typo.  Less than ten bucks.  Only think I wasn't able to get there was some fish for DH.

Anka

#204 of 245 Old 01-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Jan 1 - orngbiggrin.gif

Jan 2 - Groceries/household goodies (326/500) thumb.gif
Jan 3 - orngbiggrin.gif (and it was my first day back to work after vacation!!)
Jan 4 - orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 5 - thumb.gif (Spent $10/$40 on some kombacha - but I get to reuse the bottles for my own brews this month)
Jan 6 - thumb.gif (spent $10/30 on Taco Bell Dinner since DH was going to D&D night)
Jan 7 - thumb.gif for DS & a friend birthday party (we split it with another family to keep the costs down since they are so close together)
Jan 8 - thumb.gif ($11 groceries)
Jan 9 - orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 10 - orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 11 - thumb.gif ($1.12/20) popcorn break today at work & $4.50 for the grocery store
Jan 12 - orngbiggrin.gif 
Jan 13 -thumb.gif ($9.50/19) cafe lunch meeting
Jan 14 - thumb.gif ($21/$130 for groceries at Farmer's Market)
Jan 15 - orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 16 - orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 17-  irked.gif $4.51 for a meeting at a local cafe right at dinner time
Jan 18 - orngbiggrin.gif
Jan 19 - irked.gif $8.50 in library fines which I was hoping to pay off next month, but alas!
Jan 20 - thumb.gif ($1.87/4) coffee break 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#205 of 245 Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 AM

I'm loving stalking this thread! But I'm gonna jump in for the last week of the month! I think I can actually keep up for a week. 

a. Who you are:

Mom to a busy 16month old boy and 5 dogs (our second biggest expense after the house). Dog rescue is my passion.... My Husband's passions are music and tea and we are trying to save every penny in savings to move to Portland and open a tea shop. 

b. Where you are going (your financial goals):

Going to Portland! ;) Our goal is simply to NOT go OVER budget and eat into savings (which we do to some extent every month). We need every penny of it to help pay for a new house and to start a business. Then eventually adopt. :) Our goal is to use our savings to start a business that will hopefully make enough to keep us comfortable. 

c. How you plan to get there: 

A lot less spending!!!! Our big problems are eating out, and buying random stuff when we only really need a few things. My goal right now is to stay out of restaurants as much as possible and to stay far away from Target (I can go way crazy there). We are keeping track of every dollar we spend and helping to keep each other on task. This next week is actually going to be very very hard as we are getting the house painted and I will be trying to keep DS out of the house as much as possible. I'm sure restaurants are inevitable, but I will try to pack a lunch and go to my parents or In-laws house instead of kids play places. Also we have amazon prime and plan to make good use of it for the few things we do need like lotion for DS. Then I'm not going into target and picking up 5 other things! :p Besides the money allocated and budgeted for painting already I'm going to post every dollar spent on here! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#206 of 245 Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Its really encouraging to see how well other real families are doing. :) 

#207 of 245 Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM

One things I wonder is how do you guys keep your grocery bills so low? I like to feed organic as much as possible, especially meats (DH doesn't consider something meal with out meat : / ) and its really pricey! A few breasts of organic chicken can cost $20! The farmers market is closed for the year and Whole Foods is an hour away. Thier produce prices are more, but thier meat prices are much lower. So I'm stuck buying the very limited selection of organic/grass fed/wild caought at our local store that is very expensive. 

#208 of 245 Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 AM

Hi Sk8boarder,

Basically, our general approach to groceries has followed a few phases.

Pre-phase I: buy whatever you want whenever you want.  Correlated with this was eating out a lot because "we just don't have anything to eat" [of course, always with a full fridge].  Feeding into this was the fact that I couldn't cook and DH is a high end cooker (think berenese sauce on steak, etc.... oh shoot, we don't have fresh taragon... we gotta go out!). 

Phase I: meal plan.  Don't try to economise, don't try to cut back.  The key here is getting buy in from your family, and people aren't going to buy in if they think you're gonna be serving up chopped liver and corn gruel every day.  Budget whetever you spent in the prior month on food and feel free to use it.  If you're anything like us, you'll be shocked by how much you save just by not throwing away half your food, and not eating out because you have a plan for every night.

Phase II: Add a couple of "cheap" meals every week.  The first dinner I made cheap was Saturday breakfast at night.  Everyone likes it, and breakfast food is really cheap.  Tonight is cornmeal mash (literally salt, cornmeal, and water) with maple syrup and some eggs.  Tuesday is soup day with homemade bread.

Phase III: this is where you're gilding the lilly, so pick and choose what works for you.  Most of your savings will have been in the prior two.

-- find the cheap food near you.  It might be an ethic store for spices or flour.  It might be the back of someone's truck for produce.  Maybe there's a "salvage grocery" somewhere near you, where they sell dated or dented products.  You might travel to Wholefoods if that's your thing, but once a month when you know they have a special on the meat you like and buy a lot of it for the freezer, which is another advantage of meal planning!

-- stretch meat.  If you're freezing meat, cut it into smaller pieces that you'll use before freezing.  Never is there a big hunk of meat served in this house -- we just can't afford it.  We treat it like the treat it is.  If we are having a steak, it's 4-6 oz and served with lots of sides.

-- call farms in season and ask how they handle their seconds.  You might be able to get 25lbs of tomatos for instance for a shockingly low price, then can it if you do that, or freeze it.

-- consider a CSA for meat, produce, eggs.  In some areas this can be a real cost-saver if you really want natural, grass fed, etc., although it usually won't be a savings over the cheapest stuff you find at the cheapest grocery you find it at.

-- could you bake your own bread?  The more 'from scratch' you do, the cheaper and more natural things can be.

Best,

Anka

#209 of 245 Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Week 3

Yippee, I feel like I'm finishing the week strong. I can't remember the last time I had 4 no-spend days in one week. It helped that we had a big snowstorm and were home for most of the week!

1/15 $8 snacks out

1/17 Costco groceries, Co-op groceries, front brake pads for car at car dealer. Expensive day.

1/19 smile.gif No spend! Another snow day with board games, more sledding and happy hour at neighbor's house. 

1/20  Gas for car, a few groceries

1/21 smile.gif Another ski day, brought food with us. No spend!

#210 of 245 Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 PM

1/3 $0.27 grocery budget, $20 check for DD3's bi rth certificate 1/4 $30 to replace our flat tire, $2 on a tip for going out for our anniversary (dinner was on a $10 gift card), $2.41 postage (PBS book), $30 phone 1/5 $5.47 for part of a meal we took to a friend, $37.16 car insurance 

I'vebeen outoftown and haven'tspent anything but dh has spend $20 on pet food and dishwasher detergent, 1100 on thehouse payment, 60 for two months of internet, and 30 on health insurance.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page