NoSpend January -- Ringing in the New Year with money in the bank - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 245 Old 01-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Week 4 

Catching up from not recording here all week, although I did record my spending in my notebook. Here goes:

1/22 Groceries, hair stuff, a new kids' lunch box, large mixing bowl and brand new leather purse at thrift store, DH bought new jacket and winter boots - online sale.

1/23 Tutoring materials, tea and cupcakes out, some personal care items.

1/24 Money was spent online. Let's just say it was not a necessary item.

1/25 No spend

1/26 No spend

1/27  Gas, doctor's co-pay, prescription for DD1, some yummy foods to try get her to eat, she's been sick for 3 days.

1/28 No spend

#242 of 245 Old 01-29-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Great day trip to visit family.  Needed $4 to pay the bridge toll.  

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 3 -- 40.00 cash for hospital stay/food, 15.22 flowers, 13.12 cell phone minutes

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 7 -- 28.61 birthday gift

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 9 -- 60.00 nursing bras

Jan 10 -- thumb.gif

Jan 11 -- 14.90 library fines   irked.gif

Jan 12 -- thumb.gif

Jan 13 -- thumb.gif

Jan 14 -- thumb.gif

Jan 15 -- thumb.gif

Jan 16 -- 23.07 Amazon

Jan 17 -- thumb.gif  + seed order for 2012 garden

Jan 18 -- thumb.gif

Jan 19 -- thumb.gif

Jan 20 -- 175.00 parts to fix van

Jan 21 -- thumb.gif

Jan 22 -- thumb.gif

Jan 23 -- thumb.gif

Jan 24 -- thumb.gif

Jan 25 -- 24.14 breakfast for dh's birthday

Jan 26 -- thumb.gif

Jan 27 -- 40.00 birthday gift

Jan 28 -- thumb.gif

Jan 29 -- 4.00 bridge toll

Jan 30 -- thumb.gif

Jan 31

January savings goal is at 138%   joy.gif

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#243 of 245 Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM

1/1 - thumb.gif

1/2 - thumb.gif

1/3 - thumb.gif

1/4 - thumb.gif

1/5 - redface.gif $30 for gas

1/6 - redface.gif $36.60 for groceries

1/7 - thumb.gif

1/8 - redface.gif $63.03 for groceries

1/9 - thumb.gif

1/10 - redface.gif  $190.53 for utilities

1/11 - thumb.gif

1/12 - irked.gif $30 for a gift that I should have budgeted for, but kinda forgot about and had to do at the last minute. I fear there may be more like this coming up :/

1/13 - thumb.gif

1/14 - redface.gif and also irked.gif since I went a little over-budget) $116 for groceries and calamine lotion, my baby has had the chicken pox!

1/15 - thumb.gif

1/16 -thumb.gif

1/17 - thumb.gif

1/18 - thumb.gif

1/19 -redface.gif  $21 at toy store for birthday gifts for babies in our playgroup. again, not budgeted for, though they probably should have been.  I knew they were coming up!

1/20 - thumb.gif

1/21 -redface.gif $117.59 for groceries

1/22 - irked.gif $35 for dinner out.  We are weakening...

1/23 - thumb.gif

1/24 - thumb.gif

1/24 -thumb.gif

1/25 -thumb.gif

1/26 - thumb.gif

1/27 -irked.gif $10 for lunch for DS and me during playgroup at the botanical garden. redface.gif $315.54 for utility bill...yikes...

1/28 -redface.gif $115 for groceries irked.gif $14.85 for dinner out..we were hungry after all that shopping!

1/29 - thumb.gif

1/30 - thumb.gif

1/31 - thumb.gif

Well.  I'm going ahead and calling it done since we have no plans for today.  This has been a really helpful experiment!  DH and I learned that we really can't eat in the way that we've become accustomed to on $100/week for groceries.  It was a real challenge for me to plan as many meals as I did, and though we had a couple of slip-ups where we ate out it was really VERY good considering how willing I normally am to just run out and get something if I am uninspired in the kitchen.  We have payed off almost all our Christmas/DH tuition credit card bills, but we do have a few things that we put off buying til February (like a new carseat...) that will probably keep up from getting much ahead in the coming month.  Overall though I think we did well, and especially the experience of making and executing meal plans will really help me going forward!  Thanks for doing this guys!

knit.gifMama to DS born 8/6/10 and new baby DD 1/6/13

#244 of 245 Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM

Key

thumb.gif No Spend/ Budgeted spending

irked.gif Unplanned/ unbudgeted spending

om.gif 30min spent decluttering

1.  thumb.gif We're at my ILs until tomorrow, DH and I ran to Target for MIL for popcorn, I picked up stockings and eye makeup for DH's formal office party on Saturday, all of it was put on a GC I got for Christmas, so no $$ out of pocket.  I REEEALLY wanted to buy some other stuff that we REEEEALLY didn't need, but I resistedjoy.gif

2.  thumb.gif Trip home today.  We budgeted a set amount for this trip to the ILs, and for one of the first times, we actually stayed completely in budget!!joy.gif  I'm hoping that this will set the precedent for the rest of the year, that we can set a budget and stay within it.  No extra spending, no impulse shopping, complete CONTROL!!  Tomorrow I begin decluttering for the 2012 in 2012 Decluttering Challenge.

3.  irked.gifom.gif  DH stopped for a haircut on the way home from work b/c I haven't had a free moment to cut his hair.  There's room in the budget for it, but it wasn't really budgeted for.

4.  thumb.gif  Had a play date with friends today so no money spent.

5.  thumb.gif  DH picked up part of DD2's b-day present, cupcakes, and her choice of dinner for tonight (elbow pasta w/ sauce.  Oh the joys of being 3!!)  Also purchased a used copy of DH's textbook for his class.  All spending today was budgeted.  We reviewed the budget and found we came in under budget on quite a few line items and were able to put some extra towards paying off our truck orngbiggrin.gif  Really hoping the momentum we feel this month will carry through the rest of the year praying.gif

6.  thumb.gif  om.gif

7.  thumb.gif  om.gif

8.  irked.gif  om.gif  $62 spent at Chili's for an unplanned lunch out after church w/ my brother, SIL, and nieces, though it was $$ well spent b/c I don't get to spend much time w/ that part of my family.  Undecorated our Christmas decor today and got rid of quite a few things I didn't use or want anymore.

9.  irked.gif  om.gif  $24 spent at McD's for lunch.  2 of my kids had dr appts today and I didn't plan very well and had to grab lunch on the go.  I did however resist stopping for Starbucks on the way back and just waited to make coffee at home.

10.  thumb.gif and LOTS of om.gif

11.  thumb.gif

12.  thumb.gif

13.  irked.gif (but it's really not) $160 at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for seeds/ bulbs for this year's garden.  It wasn't budgeted, but we got a partial insurance reimbursement (for my homebirth joy.gif).  We didn't think we'd be getting the reimbursement, so we didn't have it allocated to anything.  A portion went to seeds, a portion will go to DH's new computer monitor he's saving up for, and the rest will go towards our truck, bringing us a few more months closer to paying it off!!  Oh, and om.gif

14.  thumb.gif  Did our once-a-month bulk shop at Costco today and regular food shopping.  Stuck to the list, didn't go to any other stores, and stayed completely within budget.

15.  thumb.gif  Stayed home and made a special day of watching the football playoff game.    We also looked over our master budget and if we stay completely on task, we will pay off our Suburban in March, a full 19 months early biggrinbounce.gif

16.  irked.gif  While out, DH bought lunchmeat, rolls, and chips for lunch.  I thought the total would come in under $30, but he spent over $50.  On the upside, there was a whole lot of om.gif

17.  thumb.gif

18.  irked.gif  Had to send DH out for Children's Motrin and saltines for DD1, who wasn't feeling well.  While at the store, he picked up beer for himself.

19.  thumb.gif  Got our Amazon Trade-in credit for DH's old textbooks.

20.  thumb.gif  I have to pickup our weekly milk and egg order and that should be all we need to spend today.

21.  irked.gif  $17 @ McD's for kids' lunch, $20 @ Panera, lunch for DH and I.

22.  thumb.gif  budgeted $12 for bread and cheese for dinner.

23.  thumb.gif

24.  thumb.gif

25.  thumb.gif

26.  thumb.gif

27.  irked.gif ordered pizza for dinner.  Honestly, I was too tired to even think about dinner all day and when 5pm rolled around, I had nothing planned or in the works.  We'll shrug it off and move on, tomorrow is a new day.

28.  irked.gif $49 @ WM, $9 @ Lowes (for a much needed new smoke alarm), $30 @ food store for I don't know what

29.  irked.gif $30 for Chinese take out (that ended up being TERRIBLE)

30.  thumb.gif

31.  thumb.gif  $37- ordered DH's Valentine's gift (which normally we don't do, but I found something perfect for him love.gif)

Man, I feel like I've ended this month on a spending spree redface.gif  Not how I wanted it to end.  We REALLY need to work on our eating out habit.  On to another month.  Hopefully I'll have our taxes done and filed tonight, giving us even more towards our truck payoff.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#245 of 245 Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Ending the month with a hefty charge to fix our van.  I really, really need to set up a car maintenance fund to avoid these situations.  Our current method is to rely on credit cards to bail us out and that is rather lame.  Lesson learned.  

On to February.  I looked over next month's budget and it looks good -- a big savings goal, one birthday present to buy, basic bills, and a big bulk order with our food co-op.  The bulk order has been planned for some time and really does save us quite a bit on groceries. And I will be doing a lot of new planting in the garden and starting seeds for the summer garden...so excited!  

Jan 1 -- thumb.gif

Jan 2 -- thumb.gif

Jan 3 -- 40.00 cash for hospital stay/food, 15.22 flowers, 13.12 cell phone minutes

Jan 4 -- thumb.gif

Jan 5 -- thumb.gif

Jan 6 -- thumb.gif

Jan 7 -- 28.61 birthday gift

Jan 8 -- thumb.gif

Jan 9 -- 60.00 nursing bras

Jan 10 -- thumb.gif

Jan 11 -- 14.90 library fines   irked.gif

Jan 12 -- thumb.gif

Jan 13 -- thumb.gif

Jan 14 -- thumb.gif

Jan 15 -- thumb.gif

Jan 16 -- 23.07 Amazon

Jan 17 -- thumb.gif  + seed order for 2012 garden

Jan 18 -- thumb.gif

Jan 19 -- thumb.gif

Jan 20 -- 175.00 parts to fix van

Jan 21 -- thumb.gif

Jan 22 -- thumb.gif

Jan 23 -- thumb.gif

Jan 24 -- thumb.gif

Jan 25 -- 24.14 breakfast for dh's birthday

Jan 26 -- thumb.gif

Jan 27 -- 40.00 birthday gift

Jan 28 -- thumb.gif

Jan 29 -- 4.00 bridge toll

Jan 30 -- thumb.gif

Jan 31 -- 271.00 labor to finish van repair

January savings goal is at 138%   joy.gif

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page