NoSpend January -- Ringing in the New Year with money in the bank - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

This is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be January 1st. Now is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thought I would start off 2012 with a bang!  

a. Who you are  

I am Ruth, mama to 3 (soon to be 4 any day now!).  

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

I have some big savings goals over the next 3 months.  We have to pay our taxes and while I used to have the money set aside to pay, we had to dip into it when our water line broke.  So, now I need to come up with some major cash before April 15th.  

We have nothing expensive planned over the next 3 months -- having a baby, planning the Spring garden, lots of kid activities and family time at home.  Everyone has enough clothes, though my ds will need some new shoes soon.  Food is budgeted, bills are budgeted, no traveling is expected.  So, assuming no disasters come our way, we should be able to make our tax goal with no problems.  

My biggest focus right now is simply to Keep the Budget!  

#3 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm baaaaaaack!!!! smile.gif

a. Who you are

Prudence, SAHM with three daughters.  I participated regularly in these threads for YEARS but took last year off because I was on the computer too much.  But now I think I've achieved some balance and need the accountability that these threads provide.

We are out of debt but not really saving anything for our ~long term~ financial health, so I'd like to start a savings account.

Not buying a THING unless we need it.  I'm coming on here everyday to track.

#4 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 AM

CONGRATULATIONS Ruth!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

#5 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

joy.gifWelcome back Prudence!!

Quote:

Thought I would start off 2012 with a bang!  

a. Who you are  

goodvibes.gifSending gentle and stress free labor vibes your way, Ruth!!

As for me, let's see if I can hold out for all of January.  I haven't been that successful the last few challenges, and we really need to get a handle on our spending.

a. Who you are

I'm Jenn, SAHM to 5 under 8.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

Our long term goal is to be debt free and have a fully funded E-fund.  Our CC and Suburban *should* be paid off by the end of the year.

STICK TO THE BUDGET!!!  DH's car needs tires, but we have the $$ saved up for them.  He may also need a few dress shirts for work, but we have a clothing budget to apply there.  We don't anticipate any other major spending needs, so I'm going to spend my time planning the Spring garden and knitting and sewing from my stash.

STAY OUT OF STORES!!  On the weekends, DH usually gets antsy and wants to get out of the house.  Somehow we always end up at some store like Target or WalMart and spend money we really shouldn't.  We need to stay out of the stores and find some other way to fill our time.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#6 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom View Post

Hooray!!!  So glad to see you here.  You have been a great source of inspiration.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

goodvibes.gifSending gentle and stress free labor vibes your way, Ruth!!

Thank you!   Gentle vibes are good...but at this point, I would take a couple of swift and hearty vibes.  Being a week over due is getting really, really old and I am so ready to give birth!   Come on labor.

On the bright side, being this pregnant makes it very easy to stay out of stores and keep close to home.  I had a major cleaning kick this morning, took down the Christmas tree, packed away the decorations, did a very thorough vacuuming of the living room....and still no signs of labor.  Ah well.  At least my house feels cleaner.  

Also, got the heating bill and it was $180 less than what I had budgeted, so I quickly moved that cash over to my savings account.  Nice to see that little bump so early in the month.  

Looking forward to a good month.  No spending....no spending...no spending.    

#7 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

a. Who you are

I'm Jenn, SAHM to 5 under 8.

Oh and I seriously love this sentence.  love.gif  Big families always make me smile.  

#8 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Hi All,

I'm back for another round.  Prudence, we've never met but I'm glad you're back -- you get mentioned every so often in these threads and I'm glad to finally meet you!  Ruthiegirl, good strong labor vibes headed your way.  I'm so excited for you. 

a.  Who you are: I'm Anka, WOH mom to my growing-too-fast 6 mo DS and wife to wonderful DH.

b.  Financial goals: big picture, I want my family to be able to spend lots of time together.  I didn't realize how important this would be to me until DS came along, and so I had massively indebted myself in order to go into the high-powered career of my dreams; now I want to ratchet things down a notch and am finding that nearly impossible with the student debt burden we have.  In the short term, that means getting our debts (>80k student loans between us) paid off and having an emergency fund.  Second big picture goal (again, a surprise to me until after I had DS) -- I wanna have lots of kids.  LOTS.  So you ladies posting with your big families are making me totally jealous!  Anyway, again, that pretty much requires that I ratchet down my career a notch.

c.  How I am going to get there:  We're currently on the Dave Ramsey plan.  It seems like every month so far we've gotten more intense, until last month when we did some spending outside the budget for the holidays (although far, far less out of control than any prior Christmas).  So this month we're recommitting.  We even cancelled the cable (I know some of you ladies already do without cable, but for us this is a huge change... which I doubt we would have had the togetherness to do if it weren't for the inspiration we've found on these boards).  This month, the plan is (1) no unbudgeted spending, (2) work at least 4 overtime shifts, (3) when I am at home, be really at home and not thinking about work, (4) line dry laundry, (5) continue to find free/no cost things to do together as a family, (6) keep the house clean, warm and inviting so no one is tempted to go out and winds up shopping.  And, of course, post here every day to keep accountable!

I'm glad this thread is back!!!  Looking forward to a great New Year!

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#9 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:

This is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be January 1st. Now is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

Hi, I'm Maggs and I'm a SAHM of 2 little ones.

Our goal is to relocate to my husband's home country. In order to do this my husband will be quitting his job in February to coordinate the move, look full-time for work there, maybe visit a couple of times for interviews, sooo we won't have any income starting in February.  We have a lot in savings but we don't want to blow it all on maintaining a lifestyle while we are in transition, so we are cutting way back in January.

No spending on frivilous things like coffee, buying books, take-out or eating out, etc.  We just had Christmas so the kids are good for clothes and toys. I will allow myself the occasional coffee or drink with a friend.  The opportunity for this comes maybe once or twice a month and its my only break from being with the kids 24/7 so I'm not cutting that yet.

Jan 1:  No spend

Jan 2:  Had to spend $200 on a bridesmaids dress.  Wasn't expecting it since wedding isn't until the summer and wasn't expecting it to cost so much. Oh well, at least I can truly wear it again!

#10 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 PM

01..  thumb.gif

02..  $14 Pizza Hut

03..  thumb.gif

04..  thumb.gif

05..   $50 Tequila (the big bottle)

06..  thumb.gif

07..  $25 dinner out with friends

08..  thumb.gif

09..  $15 Triple Sec

10..  thumb.gif

11..  $5 McDonald's

12..  thumb.gif

13..  thumb.gif

14..  thumb.gif

15..  thumb.gif

16..  $15 Pizza Hut, $6 ice skating, $30 date night

17..  thumb.gif

18..  $5 McDonald's

19..  thumb.gif

20..  $10 Wendy's

21..  thumb.gif

22..  thumb.gif

23..  $59 Baffin Snow Boots

24..  $87  Swim suits and swim shampoo

25..  $15 McDonalds, $5 Subscription to Vegetarian Times

26..  $28  Eating out with friends, $24 Runner's World subscription

27..  thumb.gif

28..  thumb.gif

My Goal = 20 no-spend days this month

My progress = 14 so far...

#11 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 PM

a. Who you are:  Holly Mama to three boys 15, 12, and 6 mos. I live in a rural farming community on 7 acres--population 250. We're 120 mi from the city round trip. We have chickens (hopefully some pigs this year too!) and a huge garden. We sell eggs and chickens to the 'city' nearby--live chickens for backyard chicken folks and eggs to a HFS (new to us this year).

b. Where you are going (your financial goals): I'm pretty set financially except for my mortgage, but I'd like to build some more coops/fenced areas for animals and get some pigs and a few more chickens and maybe quails and build a greenhouse. Also would like a few labor saving machines/tools that aren't necessary, but would be nice. I'd like to save more and reduce my food budget even more.

c. How you plan to get there: Stick to my list when I go to the city.  So, when I go to the 'city' I fall into the trap of "oh I might need that..." or "oh that looks good" and think I'd better get it while I'm in the city since I won't be back for a month.  I am going to stick to my list and if I 'need' something not on the list, it will have to go onto the next month's list!! I also need to write down each stop and make a total for the day. I also fall into the it's just $10/$15/$20 at x store but then when I make 5 of these stops on a trip, it adds up! Daily spending usually isn't a problem for me as I have not much opportunity locally and I can manage to resist online pretty easily.

Jan 1  treehugger.gif No spending today. YAY!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#12 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

a. single sahm/wahm to homeschooled dd(6).

b. financial goals: save as much money as possible to buy a house over the next few months. i will be buying a doublewide/modular and paying cash! we will not have a mortgage. also need to work on replacing my current income since we will not be living in this area any more.

c. the plan: buy only necessities and use the pantry/freezer to help with the grocery budget (way out of control). no eating out. no late fees at library. do my online training every day to work toward replacing my current income. do free "personal development/healing" work every day so that i can be more able to handle actually being an adult, taking care of us, and sticking with the rest of the plan!

tracking legend:

eat.gif home cooked

love.gif personal development/healing

carrot.gifpantry/freezer used

thumb.gif no unnecessary spending

geek.gif online training

om.gif declutter (stole the icon even!)

blush.gif library late fee or eating out

irked.gif unnecessary spending (hope not to see this one!)

1/1 eat.gif love.gif thumb.gif carrot.gifom.gif

1/2

#13 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM

#14 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Key

thumb.gif No Spend/ Budgeted spending

irked.gif Unplanned/ unbudgeted spending

om.gif 30min spent decluttering

1.  thumb.gif We're at my ILs until tomorrow, DH and I ran to Target for MIL for popcorn, I picked up stockings and eye makeup for DH's formal office party on Saturday, all of it was put on a GC I got for Christmas, so no $$ out of pocket.  I REEEALLY wanted to buy some other stuff that we REEEEALLY didn't need, but I resistedjoy.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#15 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Key

1.  thumb.gif We're at my ILs until tomorrow, DH and I ran to Target for MIL for popcorn, I picked up stockings and eye makeup for DH's formal office party on Saturday, all of it was put on a GC I got for Christmas, so no $$ out of pocket.  I REEEALLY wanted to buy some other stuff that we REEEEALLY didn't need, but I resistedjoy.gif

oh! tracking decluttering is a great idea! stealing it! (thanks!)

#16 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Happy to be joining this thread! The last two years we paid whatever was latest whenever we happened to get paid, due to me apprenticing, my husband being out of work and me beig in a serious car accident. I am back to work and my husband has a job with a regular paycheck, thankfully. We have no debt but also no savings at this point.

A. I am a midwifing momma to five kids.

B. We created a solid budget based on our minimal combined income. We will be caught up on bills, have an emergency fund, a non-emergency fund and start building credit to purchase the home we are now renting by the end of January.

C. We also commited to writing down every penny we spend, and I think joining this thread will help me do that. The forums have been so helpful to me wrt decluttering and maintaining my home and I'm hoping the same will be true for our finances. smile.gif

I am a horrible consumer by nature so I rarely buy things unneccesarily, but we do have a list of things we do need so I need to be focused and mindful of my spending.

I plan to: not settle for anything less than the exact thing I'm searching for, only bring into the house whats on my list, repurpose items, accept offers from/exchange with friends, check freecycle, search craigslist and shop at thrift stores. Rare exceptions to buy at a store, although I do have a small list for Ikea when that money is available in the budget.

I also need to plan meals, have enough leftovers available for lunches and quick options for me when I am leaving for births. Its a full month and getting food out is definitely a budget killer for me.

And Ruthiegirl, so glad to see you here! Thanks for starting the thread. Nice strong labor thoughts coming your way, momma! smile.gif
#17 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Happy to be joining this thread again, it's been a while since I've done a no-spend month, and I am looking forward to starting the new year with some financial grounding and commitment.

a. I'm Suse, mostly SAHM (I tutor a few hours a week) to DDs 5 and 8, married to a wonderful frugal guy. We are fortunate to have a good income, no debt (other than our mortgage), an emergency fund, and a comfortable life. My DH started a new job a few months ago, which is allowing us to have some breathing room in our budget. This is great news after his last job gave him a 20% salary cut for the last year.

b. My financial goals are to stick to my budget, live off DH's old salary amount, putting the difference into savings each month.

c. How I plan to get there: I plan to have set shopping days each week for groceries, errands, etc. Don't shop on non-shopping days, stay out of stores. No on-line browsing out of boredom. My kids are set for clothes and shoes, I plan to buy no clothes for anyone this month. (And none for myself for at least the next 4 months. This is a weakness for me, and I am determined to overcome it.) I will record every dollar I spend (I've done this for the past year, it does help). Instead of spending, I want to exercise, read, take a walk, write in my journal, declutter, the list goes on. 

Good luck everyone!

1/1 smile.gif No spend! 

#18 of 245 Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 PM

a. Hi!  I'm Angela.........mom to 3 kids.  We are a military family looking to turn around our spending habits. :)

b. Right now I am trying to cut down on spending, coupon more and put away some money in savings.  

c. Stay away from stores unless they are absolutely needed.  Don't go in the store without a list.  Stick to the list!  I went to a coupon class recently and I really got amped up about it.  So I have been trying to stick to sales and use coupons.  

Ahhh..........hoping I can stick to this.  I am excited.  :)

Angela married to the love of my life Mommy to Summer Hailey and Evan
#19 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 02:34 AM

Things have changed at MDC since i was last on here. 

Before they always had crunchy mdc adds at the bottom of the page that didn't really apply to me, but NOW they have a scrolling ads at the top from websites I regularly shop at. 

Backcountry.com ~~~~  THAT place is my weakness.  AND it is showing me stuff that I was considering buying.  Yikes.  I'm going to think of it as my personal challenge not to click on that website.

Even though it is freezing cold in Vermont and they are showing me all kinds of warm vests and down jackets in my favorite color (purple). 

Today is grocery shopping day for my family.  I've made a list.  My goal for the day is to stick to it.

#20 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 AM

Just out of curiosity -- what ads are scrolling at the top of your thread?

#21 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 AM

I think its so creepy and invasive the way marketing is- showing things in your favorite color?!

Target is my ad. Could be bc I mentioned Target in a recent post, or bc I looked up a shelf I am looking for after being on craigslist, wanted to see the new price.

I am going to pay more attention, I usually ignore the ads altogether.
#22 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

I see an ad for a $10,000 loan..."for moms only".

Earlier, it was an ad for a Citibank credit card. Apparently, I need money.

#23 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 PM

1/1 smile.gif $0 

1/2 smile.gif $24.92 clothes

Went to the thrift store to drop a box of donations off, and ran in to check it out because my husband has been encouraging me to. Wound up with 3 jeans, 2 sweat pants, 1 nightgown and skates for my daughter; flannel shirt for my son. Nothing unnecessary, and within budget but I'm kind of disappointed because I didn't want to spend anything so soon!

#24 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Kids go back to school tomorrow and they wanted to go out for pizza.  So we went. 

FIDO.  Forgetting about it and Driving On.  Tomorrow will be stellar.

Jan 1 .. thumb.gif

Jan 2 .. irked.gif  $14 Pizza Hut

#25 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM

How do you update with this new format?  Do you quote your old post?

#26 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 12:44 PM

Hi!!  I'd like to join- I've never done one of these before but we definitely need it!

a. I'm Petey, WOHM to a 3 yo DD. 

b. I'm preparing for some big changes later in the year- I'll be quitting when the school year ends (teacher) and spending the rest of the year taking classes in a different field.  I'll have to work some while I'm taking classes, but a big part of the next few months will be about fine-tuning our budget so I know exactly how much I'll need to make during that time.  My goal is to work as little as possible then- I'd like DD to go down to only a few mornings of preschool, and stay with me the rest of the time.  So, big goal is getting that budget fine-tuned.  Lesser goals are to save for buying a house, and to continue paying down debt (car loans, student loans...oh, and to get portions of both my student loan and DH's forgiven!)

c. I'm going to keep track of ALL spending, exactly!!  Review monthly and revise budget as necessary.  I don't want to spend any money unnecessarily, and the money that I do spend, I want to spend thoughtfully.  A large task will be keeping on DH about the unnecessary spending (we tend to have different definitions of the word "necessary").  Also, I know I tend to spend money unnecessarily when I'm feeling stressed and tired from hating my job, which feels like my life, so I need to keep my goals in mind and stick to the plan.  I'm hoping this thread will help hold me accountable.

KEY

irked.gif unnecessary spending

eyesroll.gif necessary spending

thumb.gif no spending

1/1: irked.gif I sent DH to the store to pick up a pepper I needed for a recipe...I had bought it within the grocery budget the day before, but then DH used it without asking while fixing himself a snack...and then while he was at the store he picked up something else he wanted to make (completely disregarding the houseful of food we have, sigh).  Only about $3-4, but still...

1/2: irked.gif We didn't plan properly for our trip to the nature center, and DD was HUNGRY.  Again, only spent $1, but see how's it's already adding up?

#27 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Oddly enough, for the first time, it's just a white rectangle.  Maybe there's some malfunction (or maybe they realized how cruel it was to wave consumer products in the faces of a bunch of moms who are trying not to spend?).  Probably the former. 

As far as how to update, people have been doing it different ways -- I usually edit my post until I get 10 days or so, then repost it using a quote and start editing that one for the next several days.

Do any of you all have any New Years resolutions?  DH and I decided to do a 'word of the year' instead, and so far we like how it's going.  DH chose simplicity, I chose wonder.  It's actually a lot more fun than a resolution... but maybe we're just being wusses?

1/1: No spend

1/2: No spend.  Working OT tonight.

1/3: irked.gif Shoot!  Forgot to return my library book yesterday, and now have a fine.  Worse yet, it's an interlibrary loan book... $2/day.

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#28 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Oh boy it's time for me to come back to this thread!  Oh how have I managed to spend the $$ once again after being rather disciplined in spending 

a. Who you are: I'm Kate, WOHM of 2 boys and DH who is a lovely SAHD love.gif

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) - Replenish our emergency & savings accounts which have been hammered this past year for various reasons oh which I don't think were either emergencies or really urgent.  Getting back on track with no spending and more savings!

c. How you plan to get there - being accountable here to get my mindset back in responsible spending & savings!  

Jan 1 - orngbiggrin.gif 
Jan 2 - Groceries/household goodies (326/500) thumb.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#29 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Key

2.  thumb.gif Trip home today.  We budgeted a set amount for this trip to the ILs, and for one of the first times, we actually stayed completely in budget!!joy.gif  I'm hoping that this will set the precedent for the rest of the year, that we can set a budget and stay within it.  No extra spending, no impulse shopping, complete CONTROL!!  Tomorrow I begin decluttering for the 2012 in 2012 Decluttering Challenge.

#30 of 245 Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 PM

1/1 smile.gif No spend! Hike in woods, board games and hanging out at home. Happy New Year!

1/2  smile.gif No spend! Spent day enjoying the snowy mountains with DH and kids. Wonderful. Kids back to school tomorrow, and it will be my grocery/costco shopping day.

PS I have a Shutterfly ad now, but have gotten numerous (dangerous) backcountry.com ads in the past few days.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page