Getting out debt in JANUARY, 2012!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 132 Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Today was a good day.

I got paid more than expected. I usually get $65 but got $97 instead (dance teacher once a week). Not sure what I'm going to do with it and its not a typo but I'm guessing bills and a little to the fund.

I found $2.25 in my dance bag so I'm up to $73.57. So close to $100.00! It would be great to get there by the end of the week but I'm just happy with what I have.

I have a few more items to list on Craigslist this weekend too. A few other good things happened but that's my money related stuff.

laohaire likes this.

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 132 Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

looks like I am going to be able to give away most or all of the contaminated items in my storage that the mice got to. I was dreading the $38 per yard that the dump was going to charge me. I am wondering if I should take the storage company to small claims court. Not sure what to do.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#63 of 132 Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM
esg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

looks like I am going to be able to give away most or all of the contaminated items in my storage that the mice got to. I was dreading the $38 per yard that the dump was going to charge me. I am wondering if I should take the storage company to small claims court. Not sure what to do.

I would definitely look at anything you signed to see if you can hold them responsible due to what sounds like something of their own fault. For it to have been your fault, I would think you would have had to let mice in, put things in that would attract mice. I don't know but I would definitely see and take them to small claims if you can.

#64 of 132 Old 01-14-2012, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Trekkingirl, take pictures of the damage to document what happened, if you still can.  Crazy to pay $38 per yard for the dump!  Check your contract with them.  Consider how much it will cost to take them to small claims court and whether it is worth it.

esg, sweet that you got extra pay.  I started reading a book last night about how to make some extra money.  I think I am going to put out some signs for tutoring to see if I can tutor people in math, chemistry, etc.  Also I love to read papers and make corrections.  There is a website to bid on doing things like that for other people and get paid for it www.freelancer.com.  You can bid on 30 different projects each month for free.  I  have a friend who has gotten paid from some jobs on there so I am going to give it a try.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#65 of 132 Old 01-14-2012, 05:13 AM
esg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

Trekkingirl, take pictures of the damage to document what happened, if you still can.  Crazy to pay $38 per yard for the dump!  Check your contract with them.  Consider how much it will cost to take them to small claims court and whether it is worth it.

esg, sweet that you got extra pay.  I started reading a book last night about how to make some extra money.  I think I am going to put out some signs for tutoring to see if I can tutor people in math, chemistry, etc.  Also I love to read papers and make corrections.  There is a website to bid on doing things like that for other people and get paid for it www.freelancer.com.  You can bid on 30 different projects each month for free.  I  have a friend who has gotten paid from some jobs on there so I am going to give it a try.

Those are good areas for tutoring.I imagine you would get a fair share of customers. I think I may look into freelancer. I could use all the income sources I can get and it sounds easy enough. Thanks for posting that.

#66 of 132 Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 PM

Posted 3 sets of books to the local community college that I hope to sell for my DH.  DH wanted to watch TV tonight, so I couldn't move the couch to take photos of clothes, but probably better do to it when it is sunny outside anyway.  Michigan charges a deposit of 0.10 for popcans.  I have a couple of them to take back to the store, probably use the money from them to buy groceries.  Work on selling on ebay tomorrow morning.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#67 of 132 Old 01-14-2012, 06:10 PM
esg

Quote:

Posted 3 sets of books to the local community college that I hope to sell for my DH.  DH wanted to watch TV tonight, so I couldn't move the couch to take photos of clothes, but probably better do to it when it is sunny outside anyway.  Michigan charges a deposit of 0.10 for popcans.  I have a couple of them to take back to the store, probably use the money from them to buy groceries.  Work on selling on ebay tomorrow morning.

Great minds think alike. I've been thinking about collecting cans to turn in. The problem, though, is that here in TX there is no real turn in value that I know. It goes by pound and it takes forever to get a pound of crushed cans. I tried it once. People on freecycle were very eager to get rid of their cans. I definitely wish I could turn cans in for $0.10 each.

AFM, This morning a friend of mine gave me her paper route. I already have one but two should give us a little bit more money to rely on in about two weeks. I have a job interview on Monday for more work that I'm hoping will work out. I'm really hoping to get us going this year.

Also, this morning I went to pay a bill and it ended up being less than I thought it was going to be. Too bad that's going to be used for gas so nothing was added to the fund today.

#68 of 132 Old 01-15-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

I moved to MI a few months ago and haven't gotten around to returning cans (they don't have a deposit in NC, so we never did it there).  Do you just get a voucher to use them at the store where you return them, or can you get cash? Can the cans be pre-crushed to return them? They take up so much room in my apartment right now, but I have several months' worth just lying around. 

#69 of 132 Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Don't crush the cans in Michigan!  The machines at the different grocery stores actually spin the cans and scan the bar codes to determine if that type of can was sold at their store before they add the deposit to a voucher.  For example Walmart brand cans cannot be returned to Meijer.  If it is something like Pepsi or Coke, it doesn't matter so much as long as the store sells the brand you are trying to return (or did at one time).  A voucher prints out that you can either use when you check out to pay for something or turn in to the service desk for cash.  Remembering to take the cans is my biggest obstacle and DH doesn't like "stuff" left in the car.  I will get them out this week!

#70 of 132 Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Don't crush the cans!  The machines at the different grocery stores actually spin the cans and scan the bar codes to determine if that type of can was sold at their store before they add the deposit to a voucher.  For example Walmart brand cans cannot be returned to Meijer.  If it is something like Pepsi or Coke, it doesn't matter so much as long as the store sells the brand you are trying to return (or did at one time).  A voucher prints out that you can either use when you check out to pay for something or turn in to the service desk for cash.  Remembering to take the cans is my biggest obstacle and DH doesn't like "stuff" left in the car.  I will get them out this week!

Thanks for the info. I guess I have to toss about half these cans. I was in the habit of crushing them before I realized all the guys walking around football tailgates were being careful not to crush any. 

#71 of 132 Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM

depends were you live. In Cali you take the bottles to a recycle center or landfill and they pay by weight. A friend told me her dad used to put sand in the cans to get more money for them. You can get paid for all recycle here but most people just pay the garbage company to take it from their curb instead. They don't want to do the work of taking it down to the landfill.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#72 of 132 Old 01-16-2012, 05:35 AM

I edited my post to be specific for Michigan.  You may be able to take your crushed cans to a metal recycling place to get money for the aluminum (but not likely the 10 cents a can that you could get back from grocery store, etc).  Good luck getting some money back from your can.  Every little bit helps.

#73 of 132 Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 AM

I would also like to join this , we need to move this summer and are considering buying a house so I have some debt to get rid of CC and student loan while DH has no debt.  I have TMM but I had leant it to my mum, I will get it back from her tonight.  My goal is to pay off $8000 worth of credit card debt in the next 8 months, with a combination of my present job, selling things and getting another part-time job. I really am excited to get started though. Selling stuff will also help me reach my decluttering goal!

femalesling.GIFMama to intact DS Dec 06 and intact DS May 10......Looking to declutter 2012 items in 2012! (27/2012)

#74 of 132 Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Have you written up your debt snowball yet?  I did mine in a spreadsheet so that each time I paid off a balance that minimum payment was added to the minimum payment of the next highest amount owed.  I had a calculated column where I took into account how much the interest rate was on the debt so I had a general idea of how much money would accumulate and then I would subtract a column with the payment I was making.  It got me pumped about decluttering and selling things I don't need so I can make more money.  I work a salaried job and DH has an hourly job so for me to make more I need to sell something since as a teacher there is hardly enough time to take on a second job and DH is generally working 10 hours of overtime a week which gives us enough to put something in savings.

#75 of 132 Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Bad news: Seasonal job has ended

Good news: went to see a financial counselor and have more money than I think

Bad news: Spending much more money on myself than I admit!

Good news: set up $500 per month to be put into savings starting Feb. This will start me on my 6 months savings.

Good news: can contribute to Roth IRA (which I know I'm not supposed to until I have the 6 month savings!) for last year

Bad news: where is the Roth money going to come from?

Need to get started on taxes for my new business! Maybe I'll have to pay back taxes for the last year since I haven't paid any yet. Which means I'll be paying dumb fees.

Good news: this year I'll keep a much better filing system than a bunch of receipts in a box.

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#76 of 132 Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Welcome, SarahMum! Sounds like you've got a good plan in order- good luck with bringing it all together!!

Akichan, that's great news (for the most part)....maybe roth $$ will come after you have your 6 month EF? Sheepish.gif ....which at $500/mo really won't take you long if you're sticking to the basics (i.e. not saving for entertainment and frilly utilities).

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#77 of 132 Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 PM

since DH took paternity leave he is missing $200 from all his vacation checks this year. His vacation is paid an hourly average of the year prior. So last week he was on vacation and we took a $200 hit. Then he went back to work today only to be told that he is on a 3 day suspension over a write up he got the week prior. Three more days without pay. There goes the $400 we had budgeted to start the EF

#78 of 132 Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 PM

How frustrating!  Sounds like something my dh's employer would pull.  Dh used to track his deliveries weekly on the company computer to verify his earnings (he's on partial commission.)  Every so often there would be an error, either in our favor or theirs, and he'd go to the office and get it corrected.  Well last time this happened was a few months back, and I believe they had actually overpaid him.  He brought it to their attention, then one of the other owners found out and apparently decided employees shouldn't have access to the records of their work and locked it out.  So now, he just has to 'trust' that they're actually paying him the commission he's earned. Or paid him the correct amount for vacation time.  Great.  He's also paid some sort of average for his vacation days.  He runs routes, so I guess he gets some sort of calculation of whatever route day it was with the average he would earn on that day.  Like you can trust them not to screw that up.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#79 of 132 Old 01-16-2012, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

when we maxed out our CC we had to take a hard long look at our spending.  we were doing ok but we had to use the CC when i was on maternity leave and to play catchup, we used it more and more when i got my overtime cut at work.  Then we paid off most of it when i was working 2 jobs, we were still spending quite a bit but we were using my entire paycheck to pay the CC.  Again i lost my overtime at this job, looking back i really should have gotten foodstamp so we werent food on the CC.  we werent tracking out spending at all.  we would go to walmart to buy food and supplies sometimes 2-3 times a week, spending probably $1000 a month which is a lot considering i was only taking home $1600.  DH has student loans of $300 a month grrrrrrr 

we cut our cable off and just have interent so that saves us $130 a month, i really wish i had done it sooner, we dont even miss it.  with our $6300 tax return we will be paying off the bestbuy card and a good chunk of the CC.  i take whatever extra hours i can get at work but that is not very often.  i only get it if a shift turns up and only if someone else wont take it since i make more than everyone else they dont want to pay me when they can pay for someone less.  i plan on getting foodstamps soon that extra $400 a month will really help out a lot because we barely make enough to get by.  i started only buying essentials and keeping a tally of costs, last month we spent $557 on food, supplies and pet food. 

this is really frustrating.  my ex and i did not have a CC and we only lived within our means. DH and i just got ourselves in trouble, im really surprised because hes so good with money, he never carried a balance before, and has near perfect credit.  but somehow we were just living beyond our means and we started racking up that debt .  didnt take long and it just didnt seem like it was happening because we werent buying anything extravagant, just food and bills. thankfully it is a very low interest rate so when we make payments its at least going toward the balance.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#80 of 132 Old 01-17-2012, 03:02 AM

Sharlla, sounds like you have found the right place to get support.  Thankfully you have a DH who is onboard.  Food is such a money sucker!  We all need to eat, but as I found out, do we really need that brand of X food when generic brand X will do just fine.  I saved $60 the last 2 weeks on groceries from a $200 for those two weeks.  Writing down the prices makes a difference for me.  I too got in the CC for food, gas, and other perishables that I don't have anymore but the bill is still there.  Jan 2017 and if DH and I can keep up the pace or go faster we will have CC debt and student loan debt paid off!

trekkingirl and mylilmonkeys, that is total weirdness with pay information - don't companies want workers with integrity?  You work, you get paid.  You don't work you don't get paid.  Seems like helping an employee see the connection between their work and their income would be a win-win.

akichan, Do you have BS1 finished: $1000 in the bank?  Have you set up a cash flow plan so you know where your money is going so you don't spend too much?  I would definitely wait on the retirement until after you have a 3 to 6 months savings in the bank (as long as you have no consumer debt which you don't mention). 

AFM: I posted things on ebay and so far no bids :(  I hope the dresses I posted sell!  They are too nice (and some still with tags) to give to a thrift store.  Attended FPU last night and watched the "Relating with Money".  DH is the free spirit and I am the Nerd.  Really liked the Commissions ideas for giving kids money based on the chores they do around the house and then having a Giving Envelope, a Savings Envelope, and a Spending Envelope.  Helping kids see that connection early (rather than an allowance which makes kids think they are entitled to money without working for it) would have such far reaching benefits.  I don't have kids yet but it definitely an awesome plan.

#81 of 132 Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 AM
esg

Quote:

AFM: I posted things on ebay and so far no bids :(  I hope the dresses I posted sell!  They are too nice (and some still with tags) to give to a thrift store.  Attended FPU last night and watched the "Relating with Money".  DH is the free spirit and I am the Nerd.  Really liked the Commissions ideas for giving kids money based on the chores they do around the house and then having a Giving Envelope, a Savings Envelope, and a Spending Envelope.  Helping kids see that connection early (rather than an allowance which makes kids think they are entitled to money without working for it) would have such far reaching benefits.  I don't have kids yet but it definitely an awesome plan.

I'm hoping to start FPU today. I'm so excited.

I haven't figured out what I'll do for my son J but I'm thinking the allowance thing isn't for us. He shouldn't get paid to keep his/our house clean.

Going beyond what he should be doing though is where the reward will come in.

I had an interview yesterday. It was alright. It may be too many hours away while J is little. 12:30PM-9:30PM.

I came home to an email from one of my bosses who wants me to do more training.

I'm not looking forward to it since I work nights and I'm tired lately but I'll get paid for it which I need so I'll take it.

#82 of 132 Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Let me explain the commissions some more.  Dave Ramsey picked 5 things from what his kids should do around the house that they would get commissions for: cleaning their room, helping cook supper, setting the table, etc.  But then there were lots of other chores that his kids would do just because they are part of the family and they wouldn't get commissions for example putting dishes in the dishwasher or washing dishes.  He did it from 2 years old to 20 years old.  The second video of FPU has the story behind it and seeing today's kids who think their parents are "an atm" is just ridiculuos.  You work, you get paid.  You don't work, you don't get paid.  Making it age appropriate for the work, but work done the less.  DR gave his kids $5 if they completed their 5 chores each day for the week.  If they didn't do their chores, they got less pay to spread between giving, saving, and spending envelopes.  I think your little one is a bit young yet but I would consider it strongly.  What a difference you can have on your son if he knows how to handle money from a young age!  I wish my parents had taught me these principles so I wouldn't be in the place I am now.

#83 of 132 Old 01-17-2012, 05:07 PM

My baby is too young for the allowance for housework thing, but I agree with ESG -- you don't get paid for family work.  Maybe some extra money for a non-chore task that I might pay someone else to do (e.g., painting a room), or if you can "sell the difference" on something that we'd ordinarily buy but you can make (e.g., you want to make pizza instead of buying it out, we'll pay you the difference), but not for things done every week around the house.  The work you do for the home you do because you live here.

I'm also suspicious of giving kids money to 'teach them how to manage it'.  Let's face it, giving a kid $10 and letting him decide what to do with it doesn't teach him anything about adult spending/savings.  Letting him take part in the monthly budget meeting and advocate for his thing to be on the list, while hearing conversations like "we have money for heat or we have money for drying the laundry at the laundromat... but not both... where's the kite string so we can put some lines up?" will probably teach him lots about money.

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#84 of 132 Old 01-17-2012, 07:58 PM
esg

Quote:

Let me explain the commissions some more.  Dave Ramsey picked 5 things from what his kids should do around the house that they would get commissions for: cleaning their room, helping cook supper, setting the table, etc.  But then there were lots of other chores that his kids would do just because they are part of the family and they wouldn't get commissions for example putting dishes in the dishwasher or washing dishes.  He did it from 2 years old to 20 years old.  The second video of FPU has the story behind it and seeing today's kids who think their parents are "an atm" is just ridiculuos.  You work, you get paid.  You don't work, you don't get paid.  Making it age appropriate for the work, but work done the less.  DR gave his kids $5 if they completed their 5 chores each day for the week.  If they didn't do their chores, they got less pay to spread between giving, saving, and spending envelopes.  I think your little one is a bit young yet but I would consider it strongly.  What a difference you can have on your son if he knows how to handle money from a young age!  I wish my parents had taught me these principles so I wouldn't be in the place I am now.

Got it! 

My aim is to learn as much as I can about finance so that he can grow up knowing it too. Not that he wont make his own mistakes but I'm hoping he wont make nearly as many as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkaJones View Post

My baby is too young for the allowance for housework thing, but I agree with ESG -- you don't get paid for family work.  Maybe some extra money for a non-chore task that I might pay someone else to do (e.g., painting a room), or if you can "sell the difference" on something that we'd ordinarily buy but you can make (e.g., you want to make pizza instead of buying it out, we'll pay you the difference), but not for things done every week around the house.  The work you do for the home you do because you live here.

I'm also suspicious of giving kids money to 'teach them how to manage it'.  Let's face it, giving a kid $10 and letting him decide what to do with it doesn't teach him anything about adult spending/savings.  Letting him take part in the monthly budget meeting and advocate for his thing to be on the list, while hearing conversations like "we have money for heat or we have money for drying the laundry at the laundromat... but not both... where's the kite string so we can put some lines up?" will probably teach him lots about money.

Anka

We learned about money this way along with my mom taking us to the grocery store and teaching us how to spend money, get the proper change, make it stretch. That kind of thing. Very valuable lessons in learning how money works and how to make it with what you have.

#85 of 132 Old 01-18-2012, 04:05 AM

Well, DH and I had our second "budget committee meeting".  So far so good, but it is still, "I worked overtime, where did the money go?"  Well, frankly, we ate it.  Food expenses were up this week, seems even things I normally buy were up by 10 or 20 cents an item.  What is up with that!

DH is planning to fill up his car and then whatever money is left in the "gas fund" is going to go into our "car repair" savings.  Naming the savings accounts helps me to know we have enough money to take care of that item.

Received DH's tax forms, now I just need mine and we can start plugging the numbers in and finding out who much we will get back in taxes this year.  Hopefully that will help fund our savings accounts.

When do people buy things on ebay?  The last 2 days of the auction?  I am just on pins and needles hoping someone will buy the dresses I posted.  Need to finish listing some of them.  Have to work to make money I guess.

#86 of 132 Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 AM

Yeah!  Someone bid on the hair clippy things I have posted - granted it is 0.99 for 15 hairclips that I spent $5 on originally but it will help declutter my life and give me a little cash to continue posting things for sale.

Today is my once a month payday.  Need to have another budget committee meeting with DH.

#87 of 132 Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Just checking in real quick. DH's commission check was really good this month. But even with it, we will have to almost completely clear out our sinking funds to pay rent and the car payment next Friday. I'm really bummed about it. It will be repaid if we ever get our tax refund (or when/if we get 2011's refund). I just have no idea when that may be, and it makes me sad to see all of the savings I've worked hard to put away each check wiped out in one swoop.

I had a job interview on Wed. It will pay $12 more per hour than I'm making now. And I'll be able to set my own schedule, possibly working less and earning more. I should find out today or Monday if I get it. The only other candidate is being interviewed today. This would be good for us in more ways than just money. But I'm trying to keep in mind that the other person may need it even more.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#88 of 132 Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Hope you are able to find out about the job sooner, rather than later.  Bummer about the savings being used but it is good to know you have it so you can use it now that you need it.

#89 of 132 Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Hope you are able to find out about the job sooner, rather than later.  Bummer about the savings being used but it is good to know you have it so you can use it now that you need it.

I got it!! And if I work weekends, it pays even better than I anticipated. I'm very, very excited. I can work 1/2 of the hours I do now and make the same amount per check. And if I add in an extra shift or two over that, we could really get ahead (maybe not as quickly as I'd like, but it would give us some leverage we just don't have right now).

The next step is finding childcare. I have part of it covered with family (on weekends), but I will need someone for weekday shifts. That part could be a bit tricky.

And the only drawback is that this position starts a week after I had planned on going back to work. So I most likely would not receive a paycheck until March. I'm not sure we can make March's rent payment without my income since we'll be using up our savings to pay February's.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#90 of 132 Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 PM

lavatea congratulations on the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I joined a Dave Ramsey study group. The first meeting was last night. The group is free but it will cost me $15 total for TTMM and the workbook that goes with it.

It was fun to be able to talk Dave IRL. Only one other couple had read the book so next week should be even more interesting.

Tags
Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page