Cheapest way to do this... help me brainstorm. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This might be a no-brainer to some of you, but I'm stumped.

We're moving from here shortly and heading off to... well, destination unknown, really. We have a vague idea and know we'll be in NY state but we're not certain what town we'll be in. We'll probably be doing an extended stay hotel until we find a house (we have several that look promising) and then depending on how long the closing process is, we'll either just be staying in the hotel or we can go stay with a friend or relative in the meantime. We have our stuff from our old house in storage and that will be shipped to us when we have a house.

The only problem is that we have some stuff here that we have accumulated over the past year. Not a lot of stuff - it actually fits comfortably in two of those (larger) Rubbermaid containers. If I left a few things out it would fit in one. They would have easily fit in our SUV but we downsized to a Civic and with the car seats, cat carrier, litter box, clothes, my husband's computer, etc. - there's no way we could fit even one of these babies in the car, never mind two.

I'd ship them, but I dunno - how do you ship a Rubbermaid container? Would I have to repack in a box? And we don't have an address to ship to unless we send it to a relative and then re-ship once we had an address but it would cost a bit, I'm guessing... I guess we COULD just leave them all behind but I really don't want to - the kids have some toys they got really super-attached to, I got some kids' books shipped from overseas at a decent price, this little cupboard thing I found at the thrift store and fell in absolute love with, a quilt I made a few months ago... etc.

Any ideas?

coolshine.gif
#2 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Do you have an IKEA any where near you?  If not, you might be able to do the same thing they have there.  For one time furniture moving, they have these traingular tubes of cardboard--- so picture a poster tube but instead of being round it is triangular.  They act like a temporary roof rack.  So, you get a couple, put your stuff on top, tie it on with twine (you can pass it through the car above the doors) and you're set.  If it's just toys in rubbermaid containers, I don't think you need to worry about the weight too much.

Here is a link to a discussion I found about them:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ikea-free-roof-rack-932165/

Further down in the discussion, someone mentions that pool noodles can be used in the same way. 

Good luck!

#3 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 AM

I don't know the specifics on shipping, I think if you could find a box big enough, you could plop the whole Rubbermaid into it, but it might be pricey even to mail, depending on the size. That being said, I will offer this advice about how to pare it down even more.... Take only what you KNOW you would be heartbroken over if you didn't see it for a looong time and can't or won't replace. We did a long distance move 4 years ago, putting virtually everything in storage, thinking it would be retrieved within 6 months. Due to failing finances, it's still in storage (at my best friend's place). Out of everything we left and the few things we brought, some things I wish I had brought  are Playmobil ( my 11yo has talked about it almost everyday for 4 years, and I have only been able to get a little bit here, not anything like what is packed away) and more of my spiritual tools including a drum ( I put a priority on getting those things, but haven't been able to). Things we didn't really need to bring include way too many pairs of jeans (I moved to a warmer climate and my half a dozen or so pairs have each gotten worn about 3 times each) and most of the toys which were appropriate for a 15 month old but were quickly outgrown. HTH, good luck with your move!

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 AM

So I am weird maybe, but since you are taking a car, can you stuff that "stuff" that you want to take in a few (or many) plastic shopping bags and plug the gaps in your car. 

You know, something under the seats but secure so it can't fly under your brakes! Under your cat carrier, etc. I think if you cram it in a few things at a time, but at the same time secured in bags so it doesn't spill out or get ruined you could do it.

Can you picture what my car looks like now?whistling.gif

#5 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 AM

I am absolutely amazed you are able to fit all your belongings into two boxes!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!! I can't even imagine...

What about strapping it to your roof? You would need to try tying it down well to see how secure it would be... If it's not secure enough, you can also get those rooftop cargo boxes -- I think they are a little pricey though, so if you have no other use for them I'd see if you can borrow one, or at least buy one off craigslist and then sell it when you're done with it to recoup your costs.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Is there any way to add it to your current stuff in storage and have it shipped with that or is this stuff that you will need while you're staying in a hotel?

We have one of the roof boxes which we use when camping, it can't take too much weight but it's pretty handy and can fit quite a lot of stuff in it. I wonder if there is anywhere you can rent them, or rent a small trailer to bring along with you.

#7 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I have a giant duffle bag that actually will hold 4 18 gallon rubbermade containers in it that can be strapped to the roof of the car.  Bought it for around $50 at an autoparts store.  Here is a link to what it basically looks like (mine isn't this brand).  http://roofbag.com/OrderProducts.asp

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#8 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 AM

If you want to shoot them, you can tape them up and ship them. I would not ship them USPS due to oversize shipping charges though. I would look at air freight ad weather there is a bus or moving company going your way that needs to fill a small space. I

#9 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM

When we moved to AK from NJ we had a similar problem. We were able to open a P.O. box and start mailing things. You absolutely can ship a rubbermaid container. Just be sure to tape it very well and put your address label on top, well taped down. It is very common her in AK to have all kinds of shape packages. You can even ship tires unpackaged :)  USPS parcel post was the best deal I found on shipping rates. Just need to be sure your box is less than 100 combined inches (length + width + height). It can be about 50c/lb depending on the total weight. 

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#10 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 PM

You can mail it to yourself general delivery to the post office you think will be closest to you in NY, and it will be held for 30 days there. Details here: https://www.usps.com/manage/research-delivery-options.htm I would repackage into several smaller, lighter boxes and send them parcel post to save money. 

#11 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM

I would ship the containers to the friend or relative you mentioned you might stay with.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page