Moving out of state, how do you figure out what to take? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Were considering a long distance move and this would be one of those, pretty much can't afford to move anyway but can't really stay here so we gotta go. (The things that are keeping us here are evaporating, health care no longer needed, family and friends have all moved out of state, and its to dang $$$ to stay and no chance of working here, ect)

Is it a cost to replace vs cost to transport thing? For all I know we may end up just taking what we can fit in the car. Hoping we can get one of those tiny uhauls my car can pull (not even sure thats an option) or I can pay gas money for a friend with a truck to haul one, how do I figure what to take?

Important things to be aware of:

Were low income so money to replace items will be scarce as will money to transport.

I'll be lucky to have $1000 to move with and I will need to find a place to rent when we get there. Just taking my car will be roughly $250 in gas one way and will require 2-3 nights in a hotel along the way.

I have friends moving into the area I'm thinking of, I can always see if I can snag a small bit of space on their trailer (big moving trailer they own and are making several trips back and forth) and offer $. Trying to figure out how much space things like W/D, fridge and mattresses would take as those are $$$. How do I calculate that stuff?

The areas we are considering have harsh winters and we would need to buy heavy duty winter clothes pretty much right away as were considering moving in the fall. One of the places was bad enough that our friend had to wear crampons to walk to the laundry room of his apt complex.

Benefits of moving to these ridiculously cold places? Its where our support networks have moved and we'd have some amazing opportunities for learning self sufficiency and off the grid living for the most part plus the schools are tiny and actually places I would consider sending my kids to which would mean free babysitting and I could go to work and be happy my kids are getting a good education without me providing it in person. Question is, how do we pull it off?

Seriously?
#2 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I've moved x-country 2x. Once as a single twenty something and actually could afford movers and took all my 'stuff'.  Second time as a poor single mom, sold all my stuff, move was a mistake and ended up back at the start 6 wks later.

Honestly, appliances are a PITA to move and can be found cheap locally.  Entry level appliances are a few hundred dollars new and even cheaper on craigslist.  Many rentals come with appliances.  Mattress are cheap.  Not worth the space to move.  

Things I would take, photos(physical and digital), clothes, important papers and records, a few things important to the kids, computer and electronics.  Books can ship via USPS media mail for cheap.   Thats it.  Everything else I own, I can replace over the course of a few months,

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did a cross country.  Moved to temp housing but only had a car to moved what we would need for several month.

I bought a cloth cartop carrier to put clothes and bedding.

Unles you can use your friend's truck, I wouldn't even think of moving stuff like fridge.  Do you think you will line up housing before you leave?

As for winter clothes, wait till you get there and then try free cycle or thrift stores.

Possible camp on the way.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I've moved x-country 2x. Once as a single twenty something and actually could afford movers and took all my 'stuff'.  Second time as a poor single mom, sold all my stuff, move was a mistake and ended up back at the start 6 wks later.

Honestly, appliances are a PITA to move and can be found cheap locally.  Entry level appliances are a few hundred dollars new and even cheaper on craigslist.  Many rentals come with appliances.  Mattress are cheap.  Not worth the space to move.  

Things I would take, photos(physical and digital), clothes, important papers and records, a few things important to the kids, computer and electronics.  Books can ship via USPS media mail for cheap.   Thats it.  Everything else I own, I can replace over the course of a few months,

Thank you, I had had those thoughts but wondered if I was just being cheap or lazy. I would hate to leave mattresses behind as they are nice and pretty new (this is one item I won't take used from someone I didn't know VERY VERY well), fridge and freezer are commercial size which we need due to special diet and we get our food once a month and need the space to store it plus I have 1/2 large shelf storing $$$$$ medication. Regular size fridges don't cut it and drive me crazy with lack of space, as it is I want a 2nd fridge for storing GF flours lol (had a problem with pantry months and ruined over $200 in flours so now I keep in fridge or freezer). W/D are new but I know they are easy to pick up. Cringing at leaving dressers as they belonged to my grandmother and great grandmother and are very well made, you can't buy that quality anymore. I HATE pressed wood furniture not to mention sentimental value.  ugh! I hate indecision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

I did a cross country.  Moved to temp housing but only had a car to moved what we would need for several month.

I bought a cloth cartop carrier to put clothes and bedding.

Unles you can use your friend's truck, I wouldn't even think of moving stuff like fridge.  Do you think you will line up housing before you leave?

As for winter clothes, wait till you get there and then try free cycle or thrift stores.

Possible camp on the way.

Never occured to me to get a carrier on top of the car, great idea! Just occurred to me I can get one of those little mini trailers to haul as well, those are only about $200 to rent for the trip, fridge/freezer won't fit but if I time it right I can easily get those on my friends trailer if I go where they are. Were not moving until summer/fall so I have lots of time to figure it out. Its just me and the kids so I honestly would not feel safe camping alone and my kids don't have the sense not to wander away from camp.  If I want to add 2 hours travel time and drive 12 hour days I can crash at a friends house for the night and make the trip in 2 days. I have no idea if I can line up housing before hand, I'm nervous about renting something I haven't seen. I can't tell you how many places I looked at before we found this one and it was literally the last one available and we took it out of desperation even though its more then I can afford.

Ideally I would like to do the convoy thing up with my friends when they come back down for the next load of stuff (her DH is up there building their house while she stayed behind to care for animals and sell the house). I'm going to have to make at least 1 trip up there before hand this summer to scope out the area and take kids with me, need to make sure the place isn't going to kill my oldest due to allergies, need to talk to allergist 1st but trying to get things figured out now and figure plan A and plan B. I hate not knowing whats going to happen. All I know is we have no real hope staying here and while this place could be a really nice apt (with some painting) we really can't afford it long term and soon I'll be all alone here:(

Seriously?
#5 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post

T1/2 large shelf storing $$$$$ medication. 

in your OP you said that health care was no longer needed.  So will this need go away?

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#6 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post

in your OP you said that health care was no longer needed.  So will this need go away?

Were praying, pulling labs at the end of the month to see if she's in remission (she looks good, hasn't been getting sick and labs pulled at the 3 month mark looked great, now were about to hit the 6th month mark) but I would still hold on to the drugs until they expire in case she relapses. The drug is hard to get your hands on due to a shortage and we have about a 3 month supply which is about how long it takes for insurance companies to agree to pay for treatment it seems. I consider it our safety net if all hell breaks lose again. Not gonna risk my kid dying because some paper pusher doesn't wanna pay $10k to get treatment started again. (we had a major fight to get treatment started the 1st time). I am 99% sure she's in remission for good since we found the root cause and are treating it but only time will tell. Near as I can tell were the 1st case that was this severe as to need IVIG. Could be others easily but I haven't found any and the root cause is a pretty rare disease as it is.

Seriously?
#7 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post

Were praying, pulling labs at the end of the month to see if she's in remission (she looks good, hasn't been getting sick and labs pulled at the 3 month mark looked great, now were about to hit the 6th month mark) but I would still hold on to the drugs until they expire in case she relapses. The drug is hard to get your hands on due to a shortage and we have about a 3 month supply which is about how long it takes for insurance companies to agree to pay for treatment it seems. I consider it our safety net if all hell breaks lose again. Not gonna risk my kid dying because some paper pusher doesn't wanna pay $10k to get treatment started again. (we had a major fight to get treatment started the 1st time). I am 99% sure she's in remission for good since we found the root cause and are treating it but only time will tell. Near as I can tell were the 1st case that was this severe as to need IVIG. Could be others easily but I haven't found any and the root cause is a pretty rare disease as it is.

how are you going  to keep all the meds at the right temperature over two days of driving?

#8 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

how are you going  to keep all the meds at the right temperature over two days of driving?

We have tons of medical ice packs that will stay frozen several days in an ice chest. I've seen these things still partly frozen sitting in the open 3 days later. The drug can survive at up to 77F for up to 6 months or 36 months in the fridge so 2 days even without a cooler it would be fine.

Seriously?
#9 of 10 Old 01-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I am making a similar move this Spring..I have also been contemplating what I need to take vs what I can take...I have a hitch on my vehicle so I can rent a pull behind u-haul for things that we can't fit in our vehicle..I am not taking my couch and chair..I have already bargained with a local co-signment shop who will buy my couch,recliner,kitchen table and several other big items I just can't possibly have room in the small u-haul I can pull. Things I will take...My bed(mattress,box spring and frame),L bedroom stuff..Toddler bed,dresser,toy box and table and chairs..I want her to have familiarity..So most of the big stuff going will be hers..Not much if any of hers will get left behind..My TV,TVstand,bakers racks,pictures,dishes,pots and pans and laptop are going..My little girl has a similar diet/allergies that yours does so we also have a floor freezer for special foods..I am not selling it..If it fits I am taking it,if not I will leave here with my dad and he will bring it when he goes North the next time for me.I am putting tax money aside for things to buy like couch and kitchen table when I get there..They will be used but I am okay with that as long as they are in good condition and nice.

I would say if you have the $$ to rent something to haul it sounds like you have alot you are attached to and want to take..I would do it..Espessially those antiques of your families..It would break your heart later to know you gave them up..If you are going in the summer you will have time to buy your winter clothing when you get there..In the North they start putting out winter clothing in the middle of summer..Gives you time to stock and buy..Was easier when they had layaway so that kinda stinks...

I hope everything works out for you..I am a little fortunate that I have a job(hopefully) waiting for me when I get home and a home..My family owns a house I can stay in until I get around to renting something.It is scary to pack up and move everything and everyone from where you have been living but sometimes it is for the best..I know for us it is for the best and I will keep you and your family in my prayers..I know how tough you have had i trough over the years and hope you find happiness with your girls...

#10 of 10 Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pantry moths should be less of an issue in cold climates.  While we don't have the food alergies you have to content with I currently live with four people and very tiny fridge.  I did adjust my shopping and I keep things like fruit and beer in the coldest part of my basement that I know lots of other peut in the fridge.  I also have a decent sized deep freeze. 

Perhaps you could put you GF flours in food grade plastic buckets?  They would be super easy to move and can be sealed up with oxygen absorber thingies if needed? I do this for rice and bean currently (I don't bother with the oxygen absorbers.)

Moving a fridge sounds PITA especially since they are easy to get on craiglist, ect.

lmonter likes this.

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page