Excellent coupon tip I learned on TV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have any awesome coupon ideas, whether you learned them on tv or otherwise, please share. Mine is spectacular.

I am addicted to that extreme couponing show. For some reason I can't stop watching it. Of course, I heavily criticize the psuedo-foods they are buying, and try to figure out how I can apply anything they do to my life, where I cook most everything from scratch and buy lots of things from the farmer's market and directly from the farm.

Then, this week, I saw how they do it. This woman had a cereal coupon that did not restrict which size you buy. It was a .50 coupon, and her store doubled, so it was 1.00 off. She then used it on single serve boxes of cereal, priced at .50. So, she had a .50 surplus that the store owed here. She bought $300 worth of them, so the store owed her $300. She used that to buy her other groceries that do not usually have a coupon, like meat. GENIUS! I LOVE this idea. So, now I'm looking for opportunities to use this trick. I'm also wondering how expensive it is to buy (and where to find) 300-600 of the same coupon. And, my local Kroger will only accept 3 of the same coupon, so I'd have to try to find another local store that accepts that many... But still, genius. And then I would donate the cereal.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Stores change their coupon policies just for that show. The filmed an episode at my local store & the lady could use how every many of the same coupon she wanted. Usually the limit is 5 of the same. Also, most stores won't give you the overage (Walmart will). It looks awesome on TV, but trust me (an avid couponer), they make it look way better on TV than it is IRL.

lmonter likes this.

Maxime - Wife to Brian (08.11.2007) - Mommy to Lili Elizabeth (08.12.2008)
#3 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Can you explain WHY they would care how many of the same coupon you're using? They get paid for them either way, right? I don't understand many of the store policies regarding coupons.

I didn't know they changed their policies just to be featured on the show...

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#4 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

Quote:

Can you explain WHY they would care how many of the same coupon you're using? They get paid for them either way, right? I don't understand many of the store policies regarding coupons.

many can not stock for that type of demand and can not simply give rain checks and get a whole truck loads of one item for the demand- 5 people buy what the person did-how do you expect them to full that?

my local stores also restrict on non-coupon (ex. lobsters) items as well - often limit is 4 - all items that can be couponed are limited 4 per type (ex crackers - that would be 4 of each of the "types" in most cases)

our local stores have their policies right on their web sites and also it's listed at the stores

Quote:

this was done in an area that a  friend of mine lives in - the local paper ran the story and people were furious! the "policy" only ment for the one on TV not the rest! did not go over well

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

A big reason is coupon fraud. People were figuring out that certain coupons would also work on items not listed on the coupon and when you have have a ton of coupons, it's much harder to count and make sure the coupons are being used for the correct items. That and stock. It stinks, but like always, the bad guys always ruin it for the good guys :).

Maxime - Wife to Brian (08.11.2007) - Mommy to Lili Elizabeth (08.12.2008)
#6 of 23 Old 01-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
A big reason is coupon fraud.

my local stores (all major chains) are super big on this too!!!

one has signs posted all over the place on fake coupons and they take it seriously 

Quote:
It stinks, but like always, the bad guys always ruin it for the good guys :).

YUP! sure does!!!

my one local store really gets around this- the loyal card keeps track and they so spit out coupons based on what type of shopper you are as well as real coupons in the mail (snail and e) they do reward "good" shoppers!

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#7 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 AM

I want to know where these magical stores are that double coupons and give overages.  Or coupons that don't specify size.  Every time I think I'm going to use coupons, I lose interest after the first day.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#8 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

In several of the places I've lived, almost every store had a "maximum number of coupons for the same item" (official name winky.gif) policy, which was prior to this show's conception. 

#9 of 23 Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

I am pretty sure I got the overage at Meijer a couple of weeks ago. However, I was using a "Free ham" and "Free Balloon Time" coupon, and the value was too high. They said you can only use up to $10 off. But I think they let me because it was just before Xmas. Manager overrode it, and I got the rest of my things for free. And now that PP said something about Walmart I think I'll check them out!

#10 of 23 Old 01-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Are there actually coupons out there for people like me who cook from scratch because it is cheaper and healthier than boxed/package/processed food?  I have yet to find some "awesome deal" on rice, pasta, potatoes, beans that couldn't be outdone by Aldi (my favorite U.S. discount grocer). 

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#11 of 23 Old 01-11-2012, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Are there actually coupons out there for people like me who cook from scratch because it is cheaper and healthier than boxed/package/processed food?  I have yet to find some "awesome deal" on rice, pasta, potatoes, beans that couldn't be outdone by Aldi (my favorite U.S. discount grocer). 

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#12 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Well, I generally get frustrated with coupons.  Here (in Canada), coupons are only valid on a one-coupon-per-item basis, there are no stores that match coupon's values (and some stores won't let you use coupons on sale items) and there are very few coupons on stuff I use as I cook from scratch and don't use cleaning products.  Otherwise, I could get very excited about coupons.  ROTFLMAO.gif

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#13 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

There are very few coupons that are for foods my family actually eats.  When I'm lucky Costco has some decent discounts.  I think I save 50 on my last bill but that was only because they had coupons for things I buy.  Normally they don't.  We have HEB here and will run some great deals periodically but I don't feed my family based on their deals.  Otherwise we'd sometimes be eating mac and cheese with slabs of pork for a week.  Ew pork.  Can't stand the texture or taste!

#14 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:

I guess it depends on what you want - we don't do Aldi's.

I do get lots of coupons for organic pasta, organic rice and organic canned beans (but we only buy dry and I can get them dirt cheap by bulk at 10% at my local health food stores)-and  local chain stores in my area do give "organic" coupons, some are generic for items such as organic veggies.

We do get what we consider "awesome deals" but not like apples to apples when you compare it to Aldi's vs organic products.

Aldi's is doing more non-store label items and putting in more items that can be couponed. Bottom Dollar just opened up stores in my area and offered GREAT coupons! $8.00 off $20.00 orders no matter what you bought and they did that for 4 weeks and now they are offering nothing but they do take coupons- for certain items they really are only pennies difference in price compared to main stream chain grocery stores. The also allowed you to use coupons so I got four weeks of items and only paid a total of $25.00 all together on 80+ dollars of items, that included fruits (we don't buy meats from there).

&

#15 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 01:09 PM

My best tip is to stack coupons. First, Wal Mart will take other stores specific coupons, such as ones from Target or Walgreens. They will also take a manufacturers coupon for the same item. I go to a website, jillcataldo.com, and she links to many places coupons. it is so easy to just click and print. No signing up for anything. Target will also take their own coupons as well as manufacturer coupons for the same item. If there is a sale on the item at the same time, I have gotten things for free. I am no where in the ball park of extreme couponers, but I have saved 50-65% at stores before.

Also, many coupon sites online have coupons for clothes, shoes, etc. I once paid $1 for a shirt. I have also found coupons for meat, ground turkey, Greek yogurt, organics, etc. You just have to know where to look, combine with sales, and stack when possible.

#16 of 23 Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

where do you get coupons for shirts?? I've never seen that. 

#17 of 23 Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 AM

Target online. They have AWESOME coupons for their own brands of clothes and shoes.

#18 of 23 Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Plus, if you have a Target REDcard you save another 5%. You don't have to have the credit card, either. You can get a REDcard debit card (no credit check) and link it to your bank account. It works like your own debit card, but gets you the discount. Stack that with your coupons and get a great deal.

#19 of 23 Old 01-13-2012, 07:54 AM

I love Aldi for things like frozen chicken-they are close to $3.00 cheaper than my favorite grocery store, AND there's more in the bag. 

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#20 of 23 Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Target red card?  I don't think I'd like that linked to my bank account.  I'm incapable of making good purchasing decisions. 

#21 of 23 Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Target red card?  I don't think I'd like that linked to my bank account.  I'm incapable of making good purchasing decisions. 

lol, yeah, then you definitely wouldn't want it. I've learned an excessive amount of self-control over the past few years, so the debit card works for me. My credit will be in good enough shape at some point this year for the cc, though, so it's not permanent for me.

#22 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 AM

I didn't read the whole thread, so pardon me if it's already mentioned, but legally they are supposed to give you the overage, they just don't have to give you cash back!

If the coupon is for $.50 off an item, and the item costs only $.45. The store will still get .$.50 from the manufacturer, so they would be making $.05. YOU are entitled to that. What they do not have to do, is give you the .05 back. in cash. They must apply it to your order though.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#23 of 23 Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I rarely coupon,  i cant find any for the foods we buy.  i do find some in store on the products we use sometimes so that's nice. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Tags
Frugality

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page