Legitimate places to look in search of rental houses or apartments? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My husband and I are looking for a house or apartment to rent. So far we've been looking on craigslist, but things are either in an undesirable area or are complete scams. Where do we look for something legitimate? Is there a website?

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Go to a respected realtor with a rental property management division. You might think they will be higher priced and more difficult to rent from, but in my experience in two different states, the fact that they are usually more by the books was beneficial - for instance, they are less likely to come up with discriminatory reasons not to rent to you, they fix things they are obligated to fix, etc. Even with bad credit, I was able to get a good place because the agent knows times are tough, was willing to work with me and is obligated to find tenants rather than just sit on vacant houses waiting for the Perfect Renter like I've seen so many owner landlords do. Good luck with your search smile.gif

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd check with some property managment companies too. Some are a pain and not great but others are good. I wouldn't give up on CL entirely though. Some good rentals we've found through CL and I prefer working with a landlord rather than property management (although it does depend either way).

#4 of 5 Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Well every apartment I've rented has been part of a complex with a rental office so I've either walked in or made an appointment with the office to view the property.  I tend to drive around the area I want to be in and see what's around.  I will drive it several times, several different days to see whats up etc.  I like having on site mgnt for a number of reasons.

For a rental home again, drive the area, see who has signs up, get the information, call the releator and get more details.   Lots of leg work but totally worth it in the end.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 5 Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Check out Trulia. I browse it from time to time and I keep hearing good things about them.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page