Most expensive thing you have ever bought/gotten for CHEAP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I once bought an antique camera for a dollar at a garage sale.  Found out it was worth hundreds.  Donated it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Used Dyson for $30. Works perfectly. Did not donate it wink1.gif

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Just today found a Cuisnart coffee maker for $6, just like my old one (which happens to still work great after 10 yrs). I'm thinking of holding onto it for backup when ours finally does break, or switching out because it appears newer and in better condition than ours.

#4 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM

One time I bought a 16 x 16 foot teak tile patio that was worth $600 or more for $20. 

Another time I found $250 worth of gold jewelry in a box of American Girl doll clothes I paid $7 for. 

Also found a new Champion juicer and a new Mixmaster stand mixer for $20 each, respectively.

I think these are probably my most valuable finds at yard sales in the last 10 years.  I really get a kick of finding these things!

#5 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Brand new shoulder padded Maya Wrap ring sling for $10.  I'm still pumped about that one.

Mama to three

#6 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 PM

I'm pulling a blank on my own finds. But I have lots, its a game to me!! ROTFLMAO.gif

But I am teaching my daughter well.

She is obsessed with finding name brand purses for next to nothing at the 2nd hand store.

At 14 she owns 3 Kate Spade Bags and a Fossil Bag, plus several other just cute quality bags. Never paid more than $5 for any of them, most in the $2, $3 range.

wife to my modifiedartist.gif and homeschool.gif mom to my 3 monkees dd 15 photosmile2.gif, ds13 geek.gif ,ds 9 nut.gif

#7 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My DH used to work retail electronics, and a laptop got lost somewhere in their inventory for some time. Well, the system automatically marks down inventory that doesn't move after a period of time, so one day I got a phone call: "Come buy this laptop, we just found it in the back room and inventory says it's $120."

Drove up to make the purchase, rang it up at the register... and it rang up as $20. What? The cashier advised me that the two systems are separate, and apparently inventory hadn't updated to reflect the point-of-sale price. Laptop for $20. Score!

Used that laptop for 6 years until it basically fell to pieces. Well worth the investment! xD

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#8 of 29 Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Amby baby hammock in case at the thrift shop - they had it labeled as a playpen because they didn't know what it was. Paid $10 - sold it for $100 within 2 days. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#9 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

New Keens for DS $5 at 'TJMAXX' type of place.  My first intro to the 'keen' shoe.  DS has not looked back since then, also haven't found another $5 pair either.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

I once got a pair of Lelli Kelli's at the PX for 5 bucks.  Normally 65.  That was pretty awesome.  DD1 loved those shoes until she got too cool to wear shoes with sparkles and flowers...

#11 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Knee length mink coat for $10 at Goodwill.  It is real and beautiful and I have worn it some...  DH keeps telling me to sell it on ebay.  I might do that but I will never have a real mink coat again.....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#12 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM

From Craigslist---  Side by Side Fridge/Freezer, nice gas oven/cook top, over the stove high end microwave, nice end dishwasher (all matching) and very workable washer dryer ALL for $340.  We were building  a new house, but keeping old one as rental and were looking for low cost appliances in the new place for the short run.  A newly married couple was selling all appliances to put in all stainless ones  for a big kitchen remodel, and we bought as a package deal.  It's been three years and everything is still working well :-)

#13 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM

Not me, but DH bought a bunch of Maxfield Parrish prints back in the 70s from various yard sales in Baltimore, probably paying no more than $25 each.  During our last move, the glass in one of the big ones broke, so we took into a framer to get re-glassed.  When we went to pick it up, the framer said that one of his clients wanted to offer us several thousand dollars for it.  We declined, it's one of our favorite pieces.  

Edited to say that this was not a situation where the prints were really considered collectable or valuable at the time of acquisition.  

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#14 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 PM

I got my very own LeMond Revmaster spin bike on Craigslist for only $100, and it is just like new!   I had been wanting a spin bike for years and this was such a cool find for me :)

#15 of 29 Old 01-13-2012, 08:50 PM

I bought a faded, but still in good shape, large Little Tykes kitchen that normally went for $125 at a thrift store for $4.   thumbsup.gif

All I had to do was scrub it off and deal with some stickers.  thumb.gif

When I moved I gave it away to a neighbor who ran an in home daycare... and I got to see the joy on alot of little kids faces in the process!  love.gif

Resistance is futile Matey
#16 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

AWESOME FIND!  That's is so cool! 

Ok I once gave someone an awesome deal myself.  I sold a WII with all the controllers ALL!  And over 20 games for 100.  I didn't give the guy a price just told him to come and look at it.  He showed up in a van with 3 teenagers and 4 little kids.  All his.  They were adorable.  I asked him what he could pay for it and he said maybe 500... I said WRONG! 100! and then he patched a whole in my wall since thats what he did for a living.  Worked out great!.  Those kids freaked out! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thystle View Post

I bought a faded, but still in good shape, large Little Tykes kitchen that normally went for $125 at a thrift store for $4.   thumbsup.gif

All I had to do was scrub it off and deal with some stickers.  thumb.gif

When I moved I gave it away to a neighbor who ran an in home daycare... and I got to see the joy on alot of little kids faces in the process!  love.gif

#17 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 AM

I've got two things.

My kids' Pottery Barn Kids play kitchen.  It has a fridge, dishwasher, and sink/oven island.  I got it for $175!!!!!

My fancy living room furniture.  It does have a hole at the very top in one corner, but you can't tell.  A neighbor just dumped it on the side of the road: couch, loveseat, and chair!

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#18 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM

I once went to an expensive boutique, not really expecting to find anything I could afford.  Well, I found a 100% silk dress for $40, and it fit me like a dream.  I didn't really have an event to wear it to, but I got it because I figured I would wear it to a wedding, or even work.  It was originally something like $500, and  you can't find a dress like that for that for such a good price!  Well, I got home and removed the price stickers....only to find the MSRP was $1359!!

Also, one time I was walking back to my apartment from the grocery store.  I lived in a low-rise complex, and when people wanted to get rid of something, they often put it in a certain alleyway, free for the taking.  One time, I saw a wireless router there.  DH figured it wouldn't work, but I picked it up and took it in anyway.  Problem was, neither of us had wireless capabilities on our laptops (this was in 2006, and the laptops were a few years old by then), so it just stayed in a closet.  We later moved, and took it with us.  Well, after the move, our normal router wouldn't work!  I said, "why don't we try that one I found on the ground?"  DH was doubtful, but said it was worth a try.  Sure enough, it worked, and it's still in use today!  That's one of the things I miss about the city; you don't find as many free things around here as you do out there!

#19 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

AWESOME FIND!  That's is so cool! 

Ok I once gave someone an awesome deal myself.  I sold a WII with all the controllers ALL!  And over 20 games for 100.  I didn't give the guy a price just told him to come and look at it.  He showed up in a van with 3 teenagers and 4 little kids.  All his.  They were adorable.  I asked him what he could pay for it and he said maybe 500... I said WRONG! 100! and then he patched a whole in my wall since thats what he did for a living.  Worked out great!.  Those kids freaked out! 

Quote:

[/quot

That is so awesome of you!! I ame excited to have a super huge rummage when I am done having babies and having tons of awesome deals for people to get pumped about. I love finding a great deal!

Mama to three

#20 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 AM

Just got on MDC to shout out! No one is home for me to tell! LOL

I just scored a Emmalijunga pram stroller at a Thrift store for 4.00. I think they must have thought it was an old ancient coach becasue it looks different than teh average Graco!  It is in great shape! I looked on Ebay and there is another used one of this model selling for 350.00!!!!

I am so excited!! I need it but I'm wondering if I should just try to sell it?

#21 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 11:10 AM

New pair of birkenstocks at a close out sale for $10.

Got DH a suit by some fancy italian designer (can't remember the name) for $15 bucks at Goodwill.  Googled it, a new one would have cost around $800. 

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#22 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Holy awesome!  I don't know... I might sell it if I needed the money... or keep it and use it then sell for more than you paid.  Obviously you'll be able to.

#23 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 AM

We have a Rainbow System play area in our backyard. The whole thing- 2 story play area, 2 swings, a rope swing, slide etc. A friend of my brother's had one that was old but it needed to be moved. We gave $250 cash and took it down, picked it up and brought it to our home and asembled  again.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#24 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome!  DD1 has always wanted one of those.  She said she'll never out grow the need for a swing set... eh... I hope she does since I doubt I'll find a deal that good.

#25 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deir View Post

Just got on MDC to shout out! No one is home for me to tell! LOL

I just scored a Emmalijunga pram stroller at a Thrift store for 4.00. I think they must have thought it was an old ancient coach becasue it looks different than teh average Graco!  It is in great shape! I looked on Ebay and there is another used one of this model selling for 350.00!!!!

I am so excited!! I need it but I'm wondering if I should just try to sell it?

Clean it up, use and enjoy AND then sell!  It will probably be worth even more in a few years winky.gif

#26 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 02:14 PM

Several years ago we happened across an old cabinet grand piano at a thrift store for $35. Upon bringing the piano home we discovered the piano was a Baldwin and further research revealed the piano was manufactured in 1918. After a bit of restoration work our $35 gamble proved to be quite the find. 

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#27 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My mom just found a wooden easel for $2 at a yard sale and sanded it down and cleaned it up for my middle daughter for Christmas.  It's worth more than $75 retail.

She and I found a set of vintage pyrex nesting bowls from 1971 at a yard sale for $15.  They sell on Ebay for $150 some places.  She bought them for me for christmas.  I absolutely LOVE them.

I found a hotsling a few years ago for $1.99 at a thrift store and resold it for $25.

Jogging stroller at a yardsale for $10 which retails for $250.

I've found countless pairs of Aeropostale jeans for my oldest daughter and American Eagle hoodies and things like that for less than $4 per item.

I've gotten Hanna Andersson dresses for $2-3 for my kids over the years, etc. 

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#28 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

When I got married I registered for lots of dishes and cooking items and totally underestimated how much cupboard I would need.  DH and I needed a china hutch.  Looked on craigslist and found one for $75.  Great one in beautiful condition.  Went to school to get the school pickup to get it and the maintenance man said the principal was moving and wanted to get rid of a hutch, table with chairs, and a buffet.  We ended up getting a beautiful china hutch, 10 person table with 6 chairs (all good upholstery covered in plastic so they won't get dirty), and a 6 foot buffet with more cupboard space - all for $75 since the principal didn't have space for it in the apartment they were moving to and just wanted to get rid of it.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#29 of 29 Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 PM

I have gotten many, many expensive items for close to free.  Especially baby/toddler clothes, lots of European labels for 95% off retail at thrift stores.  BUT the best find ever was a 1980s woman's Yves Saint Laurent leather and lamb's wool bomber jacket --- was worth 1000s.  Sold it to a consignment shop for $150.  It was too big for me :(

I love thrifting!!

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

Tags
Frugality

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page