Conflicted about ordering CSA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've used the same farm for CSA for two years.  This year's sign up has just started and I can't decide.  The price is reasonable, pick-up location isn't too out of the way and I like most of the veggies.  But the problem is lettuce.  We get about a head of lettuce plus a bag of mixed salad leaves every single week.  My family eat very little salad so most of that get wasted.  I tried to offer them to neighbors and they don't want them either.  Lettuce and salad mix are about the only veggies you absolutely can't freeze and eat them slowly later.

I love most of their other produce, especially the cucumbers and summer squash.  But tossing all the lettuce away every week makes me feel so guilty.  Unfortunately they don't do substitutions.

What would you do in my situation?

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#2 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I'd figure that the $1.50-$3 worth of lettuce probably isn't worth ditching a CSA I otherwise really like, and throw away the lettuce. Or compost it. Or stop by the local soup kitchen on my way home and give it to them.

lmonter likes this.

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#3 of 16 Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can you offer it to someone else who is picking up?

lmonter likes this.
#4 of 16 Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post

I'd figure that the $1.50-$3 worth of lettuce probably isn't worth ditching a CSA I otherwise really like, and throw away the lettuce. Or compost it. Or stop by the local soup kitchen on my way home and give it to them.

I agree.

Or, make an extra effort to eat a salad once a week? Or use it to make lettuce wraps for other things? The CSA I was in really forced me to eat things that were outside of my comfort zones, especially when I was getting three heads of kale a week for a month!

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#5 of 16 Old 01-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Maybe make a deal with yourself that you will use half of what you receive each week and "gift" the other head of lettuce into someone else's bag when you do pick up or leave it in the work refrigerator with a note: eat me with the other? I don't think it is worth skipping a CSA delivery for lettuce.

Also, consider exploring other uses for lettuce like in a wilted saute or in soup. Many greens can be used like spinach. Braised lettuce is actually very nice and also good with peas.

#6 of 16 Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I don't do CSA but I was on WIC with my DS.  I was able to 'give away' so much MILK that we just couldn't use in the time before it went bad. I bet if you tried people will take the lettuce. (I would).  Either leave it at work, leave it at the CSA, make a huge salad for work 1x a week etc.  Trust me, people will say 'no' but when presented with FREE FOOD, they will eat it.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 PM

when i did a CSA they had a box of extras and you could swap/gift/take stuff.  If yours doesn't do that maybe you could suggest it?"

#8 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 12:24 AM

Definitely suggest a swap box!

We get a lot of lettuce from our food co-op too. I find that we can get through a lot more lettuce if we make 'chopped' salads. Dice the lettuce and any add-ins. It makes the pieces small initially so it fills the bowl more and less stuffing the piles of lettuce in. You can also make it more like a 'coleslaw' type incorporated salad with lots of mix-ins and dressing added in to the bowl and the extras don't sink to the bottom of the pile of lettuce. When my kids were younger, they found this easier too, because they could eat their salad with a spoon!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#9 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I've ordered it.  The problem with swap box is we're usually the last one or second last one at our pick-up location, because DH goes there after work.  So any veggies we leave there will just rot.  I guess I'll figure out something.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#10 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 04:29 AM

I"m right there with you , wasting the CSA leaves. The best I can do is to put them in a smoothie. That was working great until I got pregnant, and just when I *should* be downing green smoothies, I couldn't. So we've wasted greens almost every week since Sept. I still have 2 bags of them in the cold garage, waiting for lentil-bacon-greens soup or a smoothie. Or the compost

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 AM

Get a pet rabbit! Ok just kidding. Tacos? Burritos?

I love the idea of a CSA, but where I live, we have to drive 45 mins each week to pick up the stuff and the thought of that became tiring. If you get lots of other vegetables weekly, then I would try to find a friend to pass this on to, or a soup kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

I've used the same farm for CSA for two years.  This year's sign up has just started and I can't decide.  The price is reasonable, pick-up location isn't too out of the way and I like most of the veggies.  But the problem is lettuce.  We get about a head of lettuce plus a bag of mixed salad leaves every single week.  My family eat very little salad so most of that get wasted.  I tried to offer them to neighbors and they don't want them either.  Lettuce and salad mix are about the only veggies you absolutely can't freeze and eat them slowly later.

I love most of their other produce, especially the cucumbers and summer squash.  But tossing all the lettuce away every week makes me feel so guilty.  Unfortunately they don't do substitutions.

What would you do in my situation?

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#12 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 12:22 PM

I like the idea of promising yourself to try and use half of it and agreeing to somehow dispose of the other half. I did that with tomatoes, which I like but we had a LOT of one year and beets (of which I wasted far too many the first year).  You might be able to contact people at your pick-up point and ask if anyone wants the lettuce. Maybe they could pull it out of your box and just set it aside with a note on it.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#13 of 16 Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My family isn't a big salad eating family either. Veggies, yes; salads, no. So once, we made what we called carnivore salad: Bacon, chicken, pepperoni, eggs, a ton of veggies, cabbage and a whole head of lettuce. It got eaten up so fast! Just make up a big something that you know people will love and it'll take care of itself.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#14 of 16 Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 AM

You can add lettuce to your stock bag too. smile.gif

Doula mama to my nursing toddler Noah and June baby growing

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#15 of 16 Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 AM

What's wrong with lettuce? lol Send it to me, we'll gladly eat it!!

Have you tried making your own salad dressings? We eat WAY more salad with homemade dressings. smile.gif Lettuce wraps with peanut sauce are good too.

I've also seen people cut up salad & put it in small mason jars. Apparently it doesn't wilt or brown in the fridge if it's in a mason jar? Then everyone can have a small salad whenever (pack it for school lunch or work) and it's convenient & not so overwhelming as having a giant head of lettuce.

But if you really can't eat it, drop it off at the food bank or leave it at work with a sign that says 'free'... or find someone to split your CSA share with you & take the lettuce & some other stuff?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#16 of 16 Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 AM

Maybe you could suggest to the CSA that they set up, or allow someone to set up, a Facebook page or group, or an e-mail group so swaps can happen, recipes can be exchaged, that sort of thing?  I'm sure they don't want to see the food that they grew go to waste either.  Or just post a traditional WANTED sign at the pick/up drop off point BEFORE the next delivery, since it is so close, with your phone number on it, stating that you have extra lettuce to trade or sell, or give away.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page