How much do you spend a month on alcohol? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We probably average $100/month. We drink wine with dinner a couple nights a week, and meet friends for happy hour once every other week or so. The bulk of the expense is an estimated average of the pricier items, like holiday/entertaining "extra" bottles or picking up a new bottle of bourbon to try. Hey, it's Kentucky, we gotta have hometown pride. wink1.gif

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is really dependent on a lot of factors, from how much/often you drink, to what you like to drink, to COL. 

I am not a drinker, at all.  I'll have a sip of DH's beer to give my opinion on it, but at most I might buy 3 or 4 bottles of a local hard cider a year for myself (and only drink 1/4 of it before I give it to DH). 

DH is a beer drinker, but he's not an every-day drinker.  He'll go in fits and spurts, from one beer a night to nothing for months, and whatever in between. 

We don't drink wine at all (except in a restaurant), but I do keep it in the house for cooking.  And we have a sizeable collection of hard alcohol (even though we each only have a handful of drinks a year). 

I don't buy cheap alcohol, unless I'm planning on making something from it (like Kahlua or vanilla extract from cheap vodka).  We also brew our own beer sometimes (although we haven't since DS was born, we still have some floating around). 

All that being said, for us $150/mo is a ridiculously high number.  I think a trip to a brewery last month (out of state), we spent maybe $100 on beer to bring home (a case of 22s and a growler).  A trip to the brew store might cost me $60 in ingredients (that's the high end), which will get me 2 cases.  An average month might be $30 (that's often $60 one month and nothing the next).  We don't drink out. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#33 of 45 Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM

We pretty much only drink craft beer, and occasionally get a nice bottle of liquor (about once a month). We go to a lot of potlucks and things where we bring a mixed 6 pack, so its not like we are the only ones drinking it. We average about $35-$50 a week on alcohol. This includes beer out, beer/liquor in, and homebrewing supplies.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#34 of 45 Old 01-23-2012, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We almost never drink out because I cannot stomach the mark-up on alcohol.  We do keep wine on hand and specialty beers, but we may spend about $100/YEAR on alcoholic beverages. I may buy a bottle or two of good liquor or a good liqueur once/year for a gathering, so maybe $150-200 on a big spending year.

#35 of 45 Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all, for the perspective.

I'm realizing lately that wine is an expensive way to drink (I've been trying different wines made here in New Mexico). It should just be an occasional treat, I'm thinking; whereas, I could have a rum and coke, or whatever on a more frequent basis w/o breaking the bank. Especially if I buy the generic/Albertson's brand of rum. DH actually doesn't drink too expensive beer - I guess he just drinks a decent amount of it.

It's good to hear what other households spend.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#36 of 45 Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 AM

Zero on a regular monthly basis. We aren't frequent alcohol consumers.

Dh brewed some beer a couple of times and we have quite a bit of that on hand still.  I don't know if it was money saving but it wasn't that hard to do. I think he got his supplies from Midwest Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#37 of 45 Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Thanks, all, for the perspective.
I'm realizing lately that wine is an expensive way to drink (I've been trying different wines made here in New Mexico). It should just be an occasional treat, I'm thinking; whereas, I could have a rum and coke, or whatever on a more frequent basis w/o breaking the bank. Especially if I buy the generic/Albertson's brand of rum. DH actually doesn't drink too expensive beer - I guess he just drinks a decent amount of it.
It's good to hear what other households spend.

Aw, don't do that!  orngbiggrin.gif  Don't get the cheap rum.  Get the mid-range stuff and just drink fewer rum and cokes.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#38 of 45 Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Er, probably at least  $250/ month. Wine mostly with the occasional bottle of scotch.  DH hasn't been drinking beer so he is on a lower carb diet.

#39 of 45 Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Oh, yeah - when I'm finished breastfeeding, I'll restock on liqueurs. (This isn't because I have any objection to having a once in a while drink while breastfeeeding, because I don't - it's because I'm too tired to really savour my liqueurs the way I like to.) That will mean buying a...think you call them a "fifth" in the US (I call them a 26er) each of Baileys, Kahlua, Amarula, and probably Malibu and Peach Schnapps. Those are the only "impulse" drinks I like to have in the house. I love Baileys and/or Kahlua in a coffee once in a while, a small glass of Amarula in the evening or a small glass of Malibu or peach schnapps (on ice) in the summer.

But, once I buy those bottles, they'll probably last me a year and a half.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#40 of 45 Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Oh, yeah - when I'm finished breastfeeding, I'll restock on liqueurs. (This isn't because I have any objection to having a once in a while drink while breastfeeeding, because I don't - it's because I'm too tired to really savour my liqueurs the way I like to.) That will mean buying a...think you call them a "fifth" in the US (I call them a 26er) each of Baileys, Kahlua, Amarula, and probably Malibu and Peach Schnapps. Those are the only "impulse" drinks I like to have in the house. I love Baileys and/or Kahlua in a coffee once in a while, a small glass of Amarula in the evening or a small glass of Malibu or peach schnapps (on ice) in the summer.

Ok - what is Amarula?  I looked it up, so I know what it is, but what does it taste like?  Cause now you have me curious.

I actually make my own Kahlua, it's so much tastier.  And I made a batch for DS' 21st birthday that is aging in the cabinet.  I have a batch in there now that is over 10 yrs old that is amazing.  Super simple to make, way cheaper than buying it. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#41 of 45 Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Ok - what is Amarula?  I looked it up, so I know what it is, but what does it taste like?  Cause now you have me curious.

I honestly don't quite know how to describe the taste of Amarula. It's probably closer to Baileys than anything else, but has a slightly different quality...a bit...floral? If you can find it, I'd suggest trying it - it's really tasty, but very hard to describe.

I actually make my own Kahlua, it's so much tastier.  And I made a batch for DS' 21st birthday that is aging in the cabinet.  I have a batch in there now that is over 10 yrs old that is amazing.  Super simple to make, way cheaper than buying it. 

How do you make Kahlua? Vodka and coffee beans?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#42 of 45 Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

How do you make Kahlua? Vodka and coffee beans?

Instant coffee, sugar and vodka.  I've tried doing it with brewed coffee and it's just not strong enough, it's gotta be instant.  It has to age at least a month before it's drinkable, but the longer it ages the better it is.  I usually start with a 750 of cheap-ass vodka, and that gets me 2 - 750s of kahlua (plus some).  I give it away as Xmas gifts. 

#43 of 45 Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Instant coffee, sugar and vodka.  I've tried doing it with brewed coffee and it's just not strong enough, it's gotta be instant.  It has to age at least a month before it's drinkable, but the longer it ages the better it is.  I usually start with a 750 of cheap-ass vodka, and that gets me 2 - 750s of kahlua (plus some).  I give it away as Xmas gifts. 

I have some old, expensive vodka that hasn't been touched in too long to admit to.  You've inspired me to make some coffee liqueur tonight. 

#44 of 45 Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 PM

Now that I'm pregnant, it is zero, but on a fun month, it could be about $30-$40, in the form of bottles of wine.

#45 of 45 Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 PM

My aunt buys my husband $40 in scotch and/or bourbon for Christmas.  I buy myself Kahlua about twice a year at $16 a bottle. We buy three bottles of wine from the guy at the farmer's market for about $40 twice a year. Everything else in my liquor cabinet is from before my dad died. We buy a six-pack of good beer about every other month at about $10. ~$210 a year is on average $17.50 a month. But it is the very first thing cut when money is at all tight.

Tags
Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page