How much do you spend a month on alcohol? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious, as DH and I created a new budget for 2012. He loves beer (and I enjoy wine and hard alcohol), but I'm just wondering where we stand as far as spending compared to other households.

This includes drinks out, as well as what you buy to consume at home.

Thanks!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 PM

We hardly ever buy alcohol out, and when we do -it's dh and 2 beers max so $3-10. But we always have beer in the house. We get growlers from either here http://odellbrewing.com/home or here http://www.newbelgium.com/home.aspx So maybe $30. We are moving in the next 6 months though so I am going to start stockpiling at least a case every 2 weeks so it will go up.
#3 of 45 Old 01-13-2012, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We set a budget of $30 and that is just supposed to be for Dh to buy beer and the very occasional bottle of whiskey (1-2x yr). He doesn't drink much but he has a thing for fancy and unusual beers. We used to stick to the budget very well but lately have been going over (60-100$/month through the holidays) so I am going to have to remind him and reign it in.  We do live in AK so our prices are probably a bit higher than in the lower 48. 

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#4 of 45 Old 01-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When we go out we may get one or two drinks (one for me as I have a toddler and thats about as long as we can sit). I don't have a monthly budget per se, but I did just buy a bottle of Baileys for 40 dollars. Occasionally Ill buy a wine or two bottles (10 bucks / bottle average). I usually buy when I need it (hosting or just feel like having a glass). Sometimes I get a case a beer if I think company will be coming. I dont always have it in my house.  (Rarely do I get hard liquor - just beer or wine)

So a budget of perhaps, 20 - 30 / month, but not necessarily every month, or maybe more in one month. Ha, no help here, back to sipping my Baileys

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#5 of 45 Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM

i don't drink, so maybe $40 dollars in beer a month for dh (usually he has company brother/FIL etc)

mama to one '07 and one '09
#6 of 45 Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

It depends on the month. winky.gif

journeymom and orvis like this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 45 Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. Thanks, all. This was one area of our budget we weren't agreeing on. I don't think it's unreasonable to allocate $150 or less per month for alcohol. It actually seems high, IMO, but not to DH.

I mean, just yesterday I spent $50 on some beer and rum at walmart. So, that's 1/3 of the amount I want to hold us to.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 45 Old 01-14-2012, 12:47 PM

It can be so easy to spend those higher amounts, especially when you prefer *good* beer over PBR and higher qualities of liquor and bottles of wine are an especially fast way to spend an alcohol budget. We certainly used to spend quite a bit more on alcohol but what changed for us was looking our total per year and what percentage of our after tax income it represented. I also multiplied it out over 10-20 years and made the decision that I did NOT want to spend that much money on an unnecessary beverage. $200/ month on alcohol is $24,000 over 10 years. There are so many more fun things to do with 24k than drink it all away!

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#9 of 45 Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My husband gets about $50, once a year, usually for his birthday lol.gif He'd prefer a bit more, but well, its not a priority and he'd rather good food, so if we have extra, we go out to eat instead.

#10 of 45 Old 01-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Maybe 10 a month... maybe.  I have a hard cider now and then and DH is into more earthy things.  So... yeah it's just me.

#11 of 45 Old 01-14-2012, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

We spend less than $40,  usually around $25.  I usually get dh a nice bottle of bourbon for Christmas as well.  We used to spend a lot more when we drank wine, but both of us stick to beer these days.  I still love wine, but get crazy headaches from it now.  That's the breaks with getting older, I just can't drink like I used to.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#12 of 45 Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm actually starting to think I don't spend enough.  After having to play lego Batman with DD1 for over an hour yesterday and being told to just hand over the controller numerous times because I was holding her back... I wanted a drink.  Also because she figured out the game before me.  I was stuck on level 1 forever the night before.  She forced my sad self through level 4.  I got yelled at twice for not taking out Catwoman and staying in my position.  Really kid?  She's into MMO's so she get really bent out of shape if you don't play your part right.  It's actually pretty funny because she never talks to me like that and afterwards she patted me on the back and told me she knows she shouldn't have gotten on me like that but if I'm going to play games with her a little effort is all she asks.

HA!  And vodka for mommy!

Oh well not as bad as me teaching her how to play chess and her kicking my ass in game 3... and then every game after that.  I'm such a loser!!!

Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#13 of 45 Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Nothin!  And I love it.  My dad brews so I get beer from him and I bake bread or cinnamon rolls or whatever for my parents in trade.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#14 of 45 Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM

I like the $150 dollar amount a prior poster said.  We probably spend about that.  Usually a big bottle of wine every night split between myself, my husband, and my mom.  Sometimes gin or scotch is bought for the household.  No more beer since my husband had gastric bypass surgery.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#15 of 45 Old 01-15-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I spend about $10 a month.  One large bottle of cheap wine.  I drink one glass a couple of times a week. 

#16 of 45 Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I only drink a few times a year so maybe spent 20 a year on drinks while out to dinner with a friend. $150.00 sounds reasonable to me, I come from a family of beer drinkers, I know my parents spend more then that a month. DH probably spends that a month, maybe more in the winter because he gets at least one drink a day on the mountain while snowboarding. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#17 of 45 Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Ours varies tremendously.  We can easily spend $200-250/ month on alcohol if we decide to buy nicer bottles of wine.  Other months we'll be more frugal and spend closer to $75 on alcohol. 

We drink wine with dinner several times/week.  DH enjoys beer, and although we occasionally homebrew, we're out of the habit at the moment.  We also buy hard liquor, most frequently rum but also whiskey (DH) and tequila (me).  We entertain frequently and so we buy beverages for ourselves and our guests.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#18 of 45 Old 01-16-2012, 12:29 AM

Never unless I need wine for cooking, and I usually just do without. I did buy 2 shots of booze at the bar in November to get my turkeys drunk before I butchered them! But, that's the extent of my alcohol consumption for the year.  I in general try to stay away from 'drinking' money as food itself is expensive enough. Water and sometimes tea/coffee and the once in a while treat of soda or juice, etc.  I think maybe if you looked at it as a yearly amount, it might seem larger and make the point as to why you think $150 is enough. Or, look at other items in your budget and see what's more/less than that and compare what you find important. Cut another area down a bit if he needs more beer money, but there has to be a give and take.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#19 of 45 Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 AM

I don't drink and DH drinks very occasionally.  We probably buy 2 bottles of wine a year, so that probably work out to about $2 a month.  I don't think we're typical, though.  Most people we know probably do 2 bottles a month.

*I forgot to include the 2 - 3 bottles of wine that we receive as gift in a typical year as well.  I guess that makes the total 4 bottles instead of 2.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#20 of 45 Old 01-16-2012, 07:23 AM

I don't drink but my husband loves specialty beers (don't even know if that is the actual term), and he spends about $15 a month. He doesn't have one every day. We are far below average though, I know. My mom probably goes through a bottle of good wine a week, so probably spends about $100/mo on alcohol.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#21 of 45 Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 AM

I'd say DH probably spends avg $30/month on beer for around the house.  Before I was PG, maybe I spent $15/month on wine/avg. liquor around the house?  That's just for consumption of the two of us.  Most months we'll GTG with friends a time or two, so that means buying a round out or bringning something in.  But that can swing wildly, I don't know what that comes to. 

Our budget for liquor/eating out/entertainment is $150/month.  In 2011 however, our actuals were more like $250 for whatever that's worth...

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#22 of 45 Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Averaged over the year, we probably spend about $50 per month on alcohol, all wine. About half of that is consumed by relatives on Easter, Thanksgiving, or at Christmas time (we host the first two and provide the alcohol for the third). For personal consumption I might drink a bottle or a bottle and a half of wine a month at $20 per bottle.

Mom to William 5/2013! Finally have a kid after our second IVF and more than 5 years of TTC.
#23 of 45 Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM

The usual amount is probably about $20, plus extra for things like birthdays or guests for dinner.  Maybe averaging 40 or 50.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#24 of 45 Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 PM

we spend $0 monthly. Hubby stopped drinking and I didn't drink before pregnant.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#25 of 45 Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM

DH was spending about $100-$150/month on beer. This isn't as high as it sounds. A six pack of "cheap" beer is somewhere around $12.00, plus recycling fee and can/bottle deposit, and dh doesn't drink cheap beer. He likes craft brews and expensive imports. Drinking in the pub or a restaurant is even more expensive and subject to fairly high liquor tax (can't remember the exact percentage at the moment. He does love his beer, but that doesn't represent the kind of drinking habits it might look like, yk?

However, he's sworn off beer completely for New Year's. He's not planning to be a permanent teetotaler...just breaking some expensive habits (a beer or two with lunch with coworkers type stuff). So, now, he spends $0.

If you averaged out my drinking by month, I probably spend about $5.00 or so. I but a four pack of some crappy cooler or cider every few months, and have found a lovely local berry cider (no corn syrup - all natural fermentation) and buy a half litre bottle occasionally. But, I don't drink it often enough to even finish one.

We usually buy a bottle of wine/champagne (not expensive) for New Year's Eve, and we have wine with dinner maybe two or three times a year. That's about it.

Oh - and we buy brandy occasionally, for cooking. DH will sometimes have a drink of it, but it's really a pantry item, not "booze", yk?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#26 of 45 Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

none right now, dh doesnt drink at all and Im PG.  Over the summer I probably spend $60 a month.  i like menage a trois wine and whipped cream vodka (with orange soda or rootbeer yum) I also like Blue Moon beer

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#27 of 45 Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Maybe $50 month.  I don't drink, but I use a lot of wine in cooking, and will buy the occasional bottle of rum, brandy or kirsch for that purpose.  Dh likes red wine, but tries to drink sulfite free if possible, which limits the bargains.  He also likes good beer.  He doesn't drink much, maybe three-four  drinks a week or so.

#28 of 45 Old 01-19-2012, 10:42 AM

I'm not completely sure since I am pregnant and not buying the beer but definitely under $50. a month, DH likes good craft brewed beer and will pick up a six of something interesting but he is a light drinker, we have a friend who is a vintner and often have some nice wine or mead on the shelf but that's more of a special occasion type thing.

#29 of 45 Old 01-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Over the year it probably averages to $60 a month.  We might buy one $17 bottle of wine a month for a while.  But I'm thinking since October to now we've had 3 bottles a month. And a six-pack of good beer every other month?

I buy a bottle of rum and tequila maybe every year and a half, for mojitos and margaritas.  Same with my bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin.  I'm the only one who drinks it, love my gin and tonic.

I can't say as we actually 'budget' for alcohol. 

Edited to add, can't forget the every-18-months bottle of vodka for Cosmopolitans.  We were drinking those regularly for a while there, but haven't had them in a while. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#30 of 45 Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 PM

I estimate we spend about $135 a month on red wine. We drink 1 or 2 glasses each night and dh buys a 6-pk of beer once a week. If he buys his favorite Mexican beer it's $9.99 for the 6-pk, if he buys the Texas beer it's $7.99. So total for the month is about $167-$175.

We usually end up buying 2 or 3 extra bottles of wine during the holidays but we don't drink that on top of what we already buy, we just spread it all out. Sometimes champagne for New Year's and then once or twice during the year dh will get a good bottle of scotch.

Tags
Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page