how to find info on house next door for FIL - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm hoping someone can help me.  My FIL is getting on in years and health and wanting to buy the house that was foreclosed on next door to us.  This would be a perfect arrangement.  We could even have him come asap, selling his house and moving (short term) into a small house that used to be my MILs (on our land) until he could buy the other house.  He has a buyer for his place, and the place next door to us is not yet on the market, and there is no info posted on the house itself.  We know the previous owners, and know that it has been foreclosed on for sure.  We want to have the upper hand in getting this house, obviously.  Just wondering how to find out anything at all about it?

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Ask a realtor.  They should be able to get the information about the foreclosure.

Good luck!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

There are online sources.  Look the address up. There should also be local source in your county that will give you the information. 

#4 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Is it feasible for you to ask the previous owners which bank their mortgage was through? Or would that be too awkward?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Well, our county doesn't have tax records online (figures).  We're just not that modern yet, lol.  I do know which bank had the mortgage, but when I called them they said nothing could be found out w/out the previous owners loan number.  Yeah, that's something someone would be willing to give out, right, lol?  They are really good friends but still....

Anyway, I had a light bulb moment for sure yesterday.  The people who lived there 6 years ago bought it on a foreclosure.  The lady is a realtor and I still had her cell number in my address book!  She just happens to specialize in HUD foreclosures!  She called back this a.m. and will see what she can find.  Good thing we kept contact (my dh does a/c jobs for them on occasion).  We also found out last night that my FIL won't even have to worry about selling his house first.  He said he can buy this one w/out selling his, so we can deal w/that later on or keep it for a vacation/hunting spot.  Nice to know we would have a place out in the real sticks (ours is just 15 miles from town) if the shtf, right?

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#6 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)

Sounds as though you have an answer on its way, but if you're still looking . . . I just plugged my own (not on the market) home address into trulia.com and got assessed value, property taxes, square footage.  Don't know if that'll display for your area but worth a try if you want.

Hope it works out for your family!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.

Tags
Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page