How Low Do You Let Your Checking Account Get? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice View Post

Well I am pretty sure we have never had $25K to put in the bank at anyone time as a lump sum we generally keep that much in the bank.  We drive old cars, we have a house with a twenty year old roof, furnace, and water heater, and we have a pretty high deductible on our health insurance.  I just think it's prudent. 

The interest rate in on deposites from $0 to $25,000.  While I agree with the rich get rich aspect of you shared with lots of things, I do think this account is not an example of this the perks exist if you follow the other requirements for account.  It does not have any fees or minimium balances you just don't get your interest.

While I am going to refrain from negative judgement about why people don't have emergency funds.  I would say that everyone should have one and that I think lots of people live far more paycheck to paycheck than really need to.

Eh, I think you're absolutely correct.  I'll be the first one to say I'm shyte at keeping things in order.  At this point I should have money in the bank.  However I donate a lot.  And if for some reason I need money and do not have the funds.  I'll sell DH's kidneys.  He'll be cool with that.

laohaire likes this.
#62 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice View Post

While I am going to refrain from negative judgement about why people don't have emergency funds.  I would say that everyone should have one and that I think lots of people live far more paycheck to paycheck than really need to.

I'm sure thats true for some people but its a simple fact that most places do not pay a living wage these days and its a struggle to pay for even the basics for many people.

Seriously?
#63 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post

I'm sure thats true for some people but its a simple fact that most places do not pay a living wage these days and its a struggle to pay for even the basics for many people.

Exactly right! We don't have a large emergency savings fund because we don't have enough money for it, period. We're struggling to pay rent and put food on the table. Not because we haven't thought about it, or know how much we need, or blow our money on useless crap. We have a limited amount of dollars and there's only so far they can go. I'm not going to build up a giant savings account and let the money sit there "just in case" while my kid goes without clothes, or we don't eat dinner three times a week. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#64 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#65 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 AM

We have overdraft protection.  It is -1000, but if I go into overdraft more than say 300 or 400 dollars, I start to get a little upset, because I know the next paycheck won't get us  as high into the positives as I would like.

We actually do have acceptable savings and some debt, and if the account goes above 1000 we move money into savings or debt (usually debt)

#66 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM

ROTFLMAO.gifI'm awarding lmakcerka the award for keeping the mdc boards lively and fiesty....love your posts, seriously it makes all this mom talk WAY more fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Eh, I think you're absolutely correct.  I'll be the first one to say I'm shyte at keeping things in order.  At this point I should have money in the bank.  However I donate a lot.  And if for some reason I need money and do not have the funds.  I'll sell DH's kidneys.  He'll be cool with that.

Turquesa likes this.

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#67 of 71 Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Right now we don't have squat in savings.  And our checking is often barely above negative, if that much.  My dh makes what used to be a great living, esp. with the frugal way we live.  Now, however, it ain't goin' as far.  If you look at the charts in the ER, we are in poverty, but my dh has more than tripled his income since we met.  He lost a sweet deal doing work for a guy for cash, and just hasn't had much side work this last year.  It is what it is and we do the best we can.  We are fed well (partly because we are not afraid to get our hands dirty for our food) and bills are mostly always paid. 

I don't know about his kidneys, but my dh's sperm is up for grabs, lol.  Does that pay much?

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#68 of 71 Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM

I don't like it when it's under $1000, but sometimes it dips down to $300-$400 if there's a large expense one month.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#69 of 71 Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

I recognize and understand that many people legitimately struggle, especially in this economy.  I also think many people struggle with the understanding of wants vs. needs.  I see it all the time on this forum - people justifying why they need something that many, many, many people simply do without. 

#70 of 71 Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 PM

We have overdraft and use it regularly.  I HATE it but that's the way it is right now.  namaste.gif

#71 of 71 Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:

ditto, I was thrilled today to find I still have $4.37 in the bank so I can buy a gallon of gas to go to the food bank Monday, my car is on E and I don't get paid for another week. This thread is rather depressing to read, I can't imagine having more then $5 at the end of the month much less $500+. Seems most peoples safety buffer is more then I make in a month!:(

Late to this thread but I wanted to second this.  I have $25 in the bank now until Friday but most of that paycheck is already alloted to go somewhere.  I will be counting $ so I don't have to use the credit card for food.  We've been great about not using them to pay them off.  I will be doing a lot of pantry shopping next week and we'll be eating a lot of beef because we have a half-cow in the freezer. 2whistle.gif

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page