How Low Do You Let Your Checking Account Get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I realize that this number will depend on a variety of factors, including your own monthly income and expenses, but what have number have you found to be safe for your own, self-imposed minimum balance in your checking account?  The author of The Tightwad Gazette doesn't let hers dip below $1000.  We followed that "rule" for awhile, but I'm wondering if some of that money might do better in savings or some sort of investment.  For you and your family, what works?  Assuming that it's a good idea to have some sort of "buffer," how low do you let your checking account get?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

me? Seldom less than $100. DH will runs his down to under $5. I just know I'm not that accurate.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#3 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 AM

i dont really have a rule.  i had like 89 cents this last time. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#4 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Oh... geez.  I don't have a set amount.  The times I've tried a dog needed to go to the vet or something came up and so I always dipped below. Forever I wouldn't go below 500... then for a year or so I was literally balancing on 0!

#5 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 AM

We don't let ours dip below $1000 either and keep the rest in a savings account.

#6 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 AM

I start having anxiety attacks if it dips below a certain number.  A number that most people would find ridiculous.  So it's really a lot about what you're comfortable with. 

If you have another option of somewhere to put the money where it will do you good, and you know that you're responsible enough to keep your account from going into the red (by which I mean you're religious about balancing/reconciling your account), then there's no reason to keep more than maybe $100 in it for "emergency", so long as you have another source of quick cash (like a savings account you can transfer money from). 

Right now the interest rate that we're getting on our savings is so ridiculously low that it makes no difference which account the money is sitting in.  I could get more by tying the money up in a CD, but I need the money to be liquid. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We keep a $200 buffer.  It often dips very low when I am being aggressive about paying off debt.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#8 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 AM

We keep our gifts budget amount in our bank account (every month we set aside $90 for family/friends birthdays and Christmas) so it depends on that. Usually at least a few hundred dollars, less as we get closer to Christmas....

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#9 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 11:44 AM

we have several checking accounts, for various things (one is the main bill account, like mortgage, utilites, etc, another is the monthly variable stuff like groceries, gas, clothing, and then one is the yearly variable like car maintenance, gifts, etc.)  For the bill one, it's never less than the total of one month's bills.  The monthly variable doesn't go below $150, and the yearly variable never drops below $500 or so, mainly because we're putting money into it each month (for that month's portion of the budgeted items) but then it doesn't get spend each month, only when needed.

#10 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 12:02 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I get down to the pennies each and every pay period (2 weeks). Like Imakcerka, a vet bill or car repair comes up every time I think I have a grip on it. I do keep $3-500 cash stashed at my mother's house (just far enough away that I have to go out to get it, and explain to her what I need it for!), but lately I have been getting into that too for groceries and gas. I hate being this close to the line all the time.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#11 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM

Ideally I keep about $5 "just in case" money, but most often my account hovers just above 0. I have to keep a few cents in there or there are fees and charges (makes sense, right eyesroll.gif) but there have been periods where I literally had .02 -.05 for months.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#12 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are a cash only family so we just use our accounts for bills monthly. We keep $1-$10 in our checking and just deposit the money when the bill is going to draft out. We usually keep $500-$1000 cash on hand locked in a safe for a emergency fund but right now we don't have anything. Last  year was a hard year.

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#13 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM

I dont keep a 1000 in the checking account. I don't want too! If an emergency pops up its easy to transfer money over to the account. I have never been in a situation where I had to have the money available immediately. If that happens (my car breaks down for instance) I could put it on the credit card, then transfer / pay that off the next day.

Checking is my most active account and each time I get paid I move allocated money to other accounts (savings, mortgage/home maintenance, ira) and leave the rest in checking to cover the bills. There is  an extra 300 -400 per month, that is buffer for things like hair cuts, (a rare occasion), extra food, clothing items, day trips, weekend trips, dinners out ... extra cash for extra things.   Maybe thats the same as my monthly spending money budget and there for 10-100 just in case.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#14 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

DH has reliable paydays, we've gone below $300 just prior.  High income, expenses include mortgage (we're overpaying it while we can), two college tuition payments (not full pay, the kids get aid); the huge chunks of outlays split up roughly evenly for his mid-month and end-of-month pay.  We're kind of paycheck-to-paycheck for our routine expenses.  We have several months' living expenses worth in stocks / bonds that would take a few days to make liquid, in an emergency we'd use a credit card and pay it off after selling off some of that if we needed to.

I'd like to keep things above $1000.  We're working on it.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#15 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 05:45 PM

I am very uncomfortable if it dips below about two weeks' worth of income. 

#16 of 71 Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM

$500 is the number for me. While cristeen's point that savings account are just about not worth it right now is true, I do keep the rest of my liquid money in savings. Maybe it's just habit but I don't care to change it, and would feel uncomfortable having thousands of dollars in a checking account.

Why $500 and not less? I am good at keeping tabs on the money but I just like $500 because I feel it should cover anything I might have missed.

Maybe off-subject, but I remember that about 15 years ago I treated my family of origin to a lunch in the city. I used my credit card to pay (I have always used cc as convenience and pay off in full). It took them 8 months to actually run my frickin charge. I was mad but there was nothing I could do about it. I had long since forgotten - didn't even notice it didn't show up right away. (The days before online banking). It wouldn't happen today - I watch it like a hawk - but stuff like that lurks in my mind anyway.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#17 of 71 Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

$500 is the number for me. While cristeen's point that savings account are just about not worth it right now is true, I do keep the rest of my liquid money in savings. Maybe it's just habit but I don't care to change it, and would feel uncomfortable having thousands of dollars in a checking account.

Why $500 and not less? I am good at keeping tabs on the money but I just like $500 because I feel it should cover anything I might have missed.

Maybe off-subject, but I remember that about 15 years ago I treated my family of origin to a lunch in the city. I used my credit card to pay (I have always used cc as convenience and pay off in full). It took them 8 months to actually run my frickin charge. I was mad but there was nothing I could do about it. I had long since forgotten - didn't even notice it didn't show up right away. (The days before online banking). It wouldn't happen today - I watch it like a hawk - but stuff like that lurks in my mind anyway.

Right with you there -- that would set my teeth on edge!  I'm way more comfortable with the money gone once I've spent it.  Even waiting for a check to clear has me tapping my toe and glancing at my watch.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#18 of 71 Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Because I am reliant on multiple transfers between accounts I always keep $1000 as a buffer in my checking account.  It is the amount of the largest check I write so I am assured that nothing will ever bounce.  Now, I haven't bounced a check in 30 years, but banks can make mistakes and then the fees can add up.  If it is bank error, then I assume they would pay fees, but it could take a while.  And it is possible that I make a mistake or the person who transfers money into my account (actually that happened a couple of months ago - a whole month's expenses did not transfer properly but I caught it).  I had been thinking of making it $500 but after that bank snafu, I decided against it.

#19 of 71 Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 AM

My goal is to have the checking less then $50. We're a cash family. And our emergency fund is tied to the checking. A few clicks and money is transfered. If we keep money in the checking, we want to spend it.

Blessed Mama through adoption. Diva 3, Baby J 1, Baby E 6 months (and still waiting for us to come get her!)

#20 of 71 Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 AM

Traditionally, we've kept a $1000 buffer (well, for the past 10 years or so) but lately it's inched higher.  I need to be better about that.

#21 of 71 Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM

No buffer to speak of.  I keep a close track of our spending, and our savings is linked as overdraft protection.  We have never used it but it wouldn't cost us if it did.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#22 of 71 Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM

Ours goes to under $100 every month.  I keep track of our expenses and know almost exactly what goes where each month.  I make sure to allocate all our "extra" money to paying off our line of credit debt.  In case of emergency we are able to transfer money instantly from our line of credit into our chequing account so we would rather pay off our debt and lower interest charges than keep money sitting in a bank account.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#23 of 71 Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I realize that this number will depend on a variety of factors, including your own monthly income and expenses, but what have number have you found to be safe for your own, self-imposed minimum balance in your checking account?  The author of The Tightwad Gazette doesn't let hers dip below $1000.  We followed that "rule" for awhile, but I'm wondering if some of that money might do better in savings or some sort of investment.  For you and your family, what works?  Assuming that it's a good idea to have some sort of "buffer," how low do you let your checking account get?

Funny you should mention this topic and that author; I recently started to read her "complete" book. smile.gif 

#24 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 AM

Well...

I like having more than 500 dollars in my account at any given time, but often it just isn't doable because of my parents needing financial support from me.

Ideally, I would like to have 2500 dollars in my account of no other reason that that is the amount when I start to feel financially stable and feel I can afford those little everyday luxuries like my favourite conditioner and replacing my old t-shirts.

#25 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 AM

For us, $2500 minimum is our goal.  If we go below that, we have to pay $9/month fees on our account.  Above that, the account is free. 

#26 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 AM

Oh, those fees. Yes, definitely and incentive or reason to keep a chunk in the checking account!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwhat View Post

For us, $2500 minimum is our goal.  If we go below that, we have to pay $9/month fees on our account.  Above that, the account is free. 

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#27 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahwhat View Post

What awesomeness are you getting from this account that requires a $2500 minimum?

TIA

#28 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 AM

200. The point for me is that IF I needed some fast cash for tylenol, prescriptions, or if something was going to bounce. Generally we don't touch it at all. Its happened. We are a cash family though.

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#29 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM

We keep a $1000 buffer in our checking account also.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#30 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM

The checking account that I have requires a minimum daily balance of $1,000 or I will get charged a fee. At first I hated this but now I look at it as a way to help budget my account. If I ever close the account I know I will have $1,000 to take with me.

My savings account doesn't require any certain daily balance but I always try to make sure it is never empty or anywhere close to empty.

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page