Tax Help - Dependent Care Expenses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi - I'm wondering if I can claim my DS's nursery school tuition as a child care expense on our tax return. I have a part time job and sometimes work while he is at school. He attends school for three hours a day, four days per week. I would say that I work only about one or two days a month while he's at school. That's not enough to count, right? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 PM

I think it counts!  Of course - thats just my opinion - hope theres an mama accountant out there who has time to answer! 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 6 Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My sons Montessori tuition fell under childcare expense (but not when he was in kindergarten; only nursery age and pre-k age). The place has to have a fed number and give you a receipt... you may have to ask for it ... The Montessori my son went to did not mail them out to everyone, only to the ones that asked. (I always wondered about that policy, wouldn't everyone want it?!)

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#4 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM

I asked about this last year (when DS was 3) and was told we couldn't claim in for tax purposes b/c they didn't have a fed # or tax id to give out.  He's 4 now, and still in the same school (a Montessori), and we still pay tuition every month. 

I just filed taxes and did not include the amount paid.  I don't know if it's b/c it's not considered a daycare (the school goes to 5th grade), or what, but I was told we couldn't claim it as dependent care.  I will ask again tomorrow, when I pay February's bill.  hmmm

eta: I realize I'm just rambling about my situation.  sorry :o  Ask - b/c I believe you need the numbers to input when you file.  You can't just claim $X amount of expenses, I believe.  I worked a bit, too, at the end of 2011 while DS was at school, but I don't think that piece mattered, b/c his school wasn't a daycare that allowed tax deductions. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I asked about this last year (when DS was 3) and was told we couldn't claim in for tax purposes b/c they didn't have a fed # or tax id to give out.  He's 4 now, and still in the same school (a Montessori), and we still pay tuition every month. 

I just filed taxes and did not include the amount paid.  I don't know if it's b/c it's not considered a daycare (the school goes to 5th grade), or what, but I was told we couldn't claim it as dependent care.  I will ask again tomorrow, when I pay February's bill.  hmmm

eta: I realize I'm just rambling about my situation.  sorry :o  Ask - b/c I believe you need the numbers to input when you fileYou can't just claim $X amount of expenses, I believe.  I worked a bit, too, at the end of 2011 while DS was at school, but I don't think that piece mattered, b/c his school wasn't a daycare that allowed tax deductions. 

Definitely to the bolded. They place of care needs to be registered and have a tax id; if they give out receipts, its ok. BUT you  need the receipt, you cannot just claim the expense with out it. (so the irs can cross match to the claim vs the organization).

Ask the child care school. I do not know why its hush hush. I am not sure how they benefit by not handing out receipts - but the Montessori my son went to, you had to ask for it. And now, I recall the JCC afterschool program he attended, I also had to ask for it.  If receipts are provided, one can claim child care expenses for paid afterschool (depending where its located), summer camps (but not all), etc. up to the age of 12. So long as you have a receipt.

Some points from online:

• "Your child or dependent must meet certain qualifications (under 12...etc),
  • Your daycare provider must meet certain qualifications (Fed #),
  • You must have earned income,
  • The care provided must enable you to work or to look for work, and
  • You must reduce your eligible daycare expenses by any amounts provided by a dependent care benefits plan through your employer
  • The child must be your dependent, age 12 or younger. If your child is age 13 or older, the child must be physically or mentally unable to care for herself or himself.
  • .., your daycare provider must provide you with his or her name, business name (if applicable), address, and either Social Security or Employer Identification Number."

Here is the gov link http://www.irs.gov/publications/p503/ar02.html#en_US_publink1000203328

Provider Identification Test

You must identify all persons or organizations that provide care for your child or dependent. Use Part I of Form 2441 to show the information.

Information needed.   To identify the care provider, you must give the provider's:
  1. Name,

2. Address, and

3. Taxpayer identification number.

If the care provider is an individual, the taxpayer identification number is his or her social security number or individual taxpayer identification number. If the care provider is an organization, then it is the employer identification number (EIN).   You do not have to show the taxpayer identification number if the care provider is a tax-exempt organization (such as a church or school). In this case, enter “Tax-Exempt” in the space where the tax form calls for the number.   If you cannot provide all of the information or the information is incorrect, you must be able to show that you used due diligence(discussed later) in trying to furnish the necessary information.
Getting the information.    You can use Form W-10, Dependent Care Provider's Identification and Certification, to request the required information from the care provider. If you do not use Form W-10, you can get the information from one of the other sources listed in the instructions for Form W-10, including:
  1. A copy of the provider's social security card,

2. A copy of the provider's completed Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, if he or she is your household employee,

3. A copy of the statement furnished by your employer if the provider is your employer's dependent care plan, or

4. A letter or invoice from the provider if it shows the necessary information.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#6 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 AM

The only place that I was not able to get a tax ID number from was the lady who watched my son in her home when he was a baby. I knew this ahead of time; she didn't carge me during school holidays and I didn't worry about claiming the expenses. Every school has a Tax ID number- they have to.

Also, if you pay for after care, that is also tax deductible until your child is old enough to stay home alone- 5th grade I believe. My children attended a Catholic elementary school, which is not deductible on my federal taxes (but is on my state, TG!) but I was able to claim the amount I paid for aftercare (the aftercare was necessary for me to be able to work, etc).

Check with your state- not only does ours allow deductions for non-public school tuition, it also allows deductions for any amount spent on school fees, uniforms, books, supplies, etc for any school, public or non-public. It also allows deductions for homeschooling expenses. Many people whose children are in publlc school are not aware of this. But those expenses can add up! Uniforms, supplies, that pricey math calculator--

Tags
Finances

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page