February No Spend~ Having $$ in the bank will make your HEART swell!! - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Frugality & Finances > February No Spend~ Having $$ in the bank will make your HEART swell!!
FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 06:32 AM 02-01-2012

I'm not good at coming up w/ witty titles- HELP!!

This is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be February 1st. Now is a good time to start.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 06:41 AM 02-01-2012

a. Who you are

I'm Jenn, SAHM to 5 under 8.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

Our long term goal is to be debt free and have a fully funded E-fund.  Our Suburban will be paid off end of March and our CC *should* be paid off by the end of the year.

STICK TO THE BUDGET!!!  DH may need a few dress shirts for work, but we have a clothing budget to apply there and we'll be visiting my ILs mid-month, so I've budgeted for that.  I hope that focusing on our spring garden and crafting from my stash, and decluttering will keep me distracted enough from spending.

STAY OUT OF STORES!!  On the weekends, DH usually gets antsy and wants to get out of the house.  Somehow we always end up at some store like Target or WalMart and spend money we really shouldn't.  We need to stay out of the stores and find some other way to fill our time.

Key

thumb.gif  No Spend/ Budgeted Spending

irked.gif  Unplanned/ Un-budgeted Spending

Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 11:04 AM 02-01-2012

Hooray for February! 

a. Who you are

I am Ruth, mama to my four kiddos. 

We are focused on getting our taxes paid.  We had a very strange financial year in 2011 and owe quite a bit.  While I had the money set aside, we used it last Fall to pay for a water line break in our front yard.  So, we are scrambling to gather enough cash before April 15th.  

Careful spending, checking my balances and spreadsheets every day, using what we have, sticking to the list when shopping, and simply saying 'no' to buying stuff.  

Feb 1 -- thumb.gif

Feb 2 -- 

Feb 3

Feb 4

Savings goal  0%

mrsmischief's Avatar mrsmischief 11:29 AM 02-01-2012

I'll join for another month of no spending. :)

a. Who you are:

I am Daisy, mama to my five year old daughter.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) :

Our primary financial goal right now is assuring we have the resources for my husband to have a real choice with regards to his career when his current military enlistment contract is up, to fully fund our retirement savings, and begin more aggressive college savings for our daughter's future. This year we are focusing on saving a healthy emergency fund and continue living a life without credit/debt. We also plan to purchase an energy efficient washer and dryer this summer, take a family vacation this fall, and buy homeschool curriclum this fall, all in cash. 

c. How you plan to get there:

I wrote more about the minutiae of our plans here

We are downsizing to a smaller more energy efficient house very near to my husband's work this spring and will be paying for said move in cash. Our car will be paid off this spring too and my husband will soon be promoted. All of this "newly found money" will be going into savings while we continue to live on our current budget as it's proven sufficient for our needs and a few wants.

In addition to our usual expenses, this month I have budgeted for a weekend trip to a maple sugaring festival, the purchase of supplies to finish replenishing our 72 hour emergency 'go bags' and first aid kits, seeds for our garden plot, and a new set of ASUs for my husband. We also have $25 budgeted for 'fun' every weekend.

mrsmischief's Avatar mrsmischief 11:31 AM 02-01-2012

2/1- thumb.gif

2/2- thumb.gif

2/3- thumb.gif

2/4- thumb.gif

2/5- thumb.gif (budgeted spending for lunch with friends before painting class)

2/6- thumb.gif

2/7- thumb.gif

Savings Goal- 50%

FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 06:21 AM 02-02-2012

Key

1.  thumb.gif

2.  preemptive thumb.gif

Super Pickle's Avatar Super Pickle 09:33 AM 02-02-2012

Hi. My name is Erin. I am SAHM of 4.  I didn't do a very good job of participating regularly on the January thread because I was also trying to keep up with the decluttering thread. Hope to do better this month. 

I just want to spend less money. My quantifiable goal is to keep my monthly grocery bill under $500. 

I hope to get there by planning all our meals, and carefully considering where I do my grocery shopping..  

I would like to share a success from January. We had been in the habit of eating out or ordering out at least once a week. Last month, I cooked every meal at home except one. We ordered pizza that night, and DH went to Burger King twice, but he had coupons. Other than that, no restaurant expenses. It costs me $30 just to take the kids to Chipotle, so this is going to save us big. 

Feb 1: thumb.gif No spending; cancelled security alarm system to save $35/month.  Kids begged for a treat after the library, so I made hot chocolate from scratch at home.

Feb 2: Paid for February Mothers Day Out and February piano lessons. 

Feb 3:  eyesroll.gif  DH decided to order pizza--$25 including tip. But.... I made a pot of dried beans and a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies. We also received some really good coupons in the mail from the local grocery chain, and I made up my list for the week. And I resisted the pleas from my kids to go to the play cafe (only $5, but then we get tea, and it's far so we use up gas......); we went to the library instead.

Feb 4: smile.gif Bought groceries, stayed within budget. Went to a free science museum on campus; used DH's staff parking permit to park for free.

lucifugous's Avatar lucifugous 03:31 PM 02-02-2012

a. Who you are

Kate, single mama to 3yo D

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

Unfortunately I just lost about a quarter of my income! We were already scraping by, enjoying only the smallest extras and going without tv/cable, car, and other things that are often considered standard or even essential. My goal for this month is to get the bills paid on time, and I guess I'll just have to work as hard as I can at securing more income.

Unplanned meals are our biggest weak spot these days. We do it very cheaply so usually a bite out once a week is fine but after it happened yesterday (the first) I realized we just won't be able to do that this month. I've got $150 for food for the next three weeks, so efficient planning will be essential!

I have been hoping to see a play with a friend, if enough money comes in that the bills are paid and I can still buy the ticket I will absolutely do that, it would be a very cheap ticket and it has been a year since I've been to any theatre! Other than that, all non-essentials will have to be avoided.

I believe we have what we need, definitely stocked up on paper products and have enough warm clothes, etc. The only expenses other than food, rent, and utilities should be quarters for laundry, a haircut (it has been more than 18 months!!!!!) and if I am able to find it cheaply enough, curtains and hardware! That's it!

Key

biggrinbounce.gif- zero spending day

shy.gif- approved expense

duh.gif- unplanned spending

orngbiggrin.gif- extra work!

1) nono.gif Pizza for dinner $11.00

2) shy.gif Groceries $17.98 

Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 04:34 AM 02-03-2012

Pay day!  Paid the bills and socked away our savings for the pay period.  Picking up some food today as well -- basics and a couple of extras for ds's birthday.  Sticking to the list!   As long as I keep to our budget, I'll get to keep my  thumb.gif  for the day.  

Feb 1 -- thumb.gif

Feb 2 -- thumb.gif

Feb 3 -- thumb.gif

Feb 4 -- thumb.gif

Feb 5

Feb 6

Feb 7

Feb 8

Savings goal  69%

lucifugous's Avatar lucifugous 03:32 PM 02-03-2012

2) shy.gif Groceries $17.98 orngbiggrin.gif two hours

3) shy.gif Daycare $140 still hoping for orngbiggrin.gif

FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 09:43 AM 02-04-2012

Key

1.  thumb.gif

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

We filed our taxes and I'm pretty excited since our state return will be able to go straight to our truck.  Our Suburban will be paid off by the end of February!!  On to paying off the CC, which will be done by the end of the year joy.gif  I'm thrilled at the progress we're making and praying that we don't do anything to set us back.

Ruthiegirl, when do you figure your last frost date is?  I'm just a bit south of you in NoVa, and I'm trying to plan out my very first garden and seed starting.

Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 08:03 PM 02-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post

Ruthiegirl, when do you figure your last frost date is?  I'm just a bit south of you in NoVa, and I'm trying to plan out my very first garden and seed starting.

I think my last frost date is technically in early April, but I do lots of planting well before that -- some outdoors and I start tomatoes inside.  

I have used the planting guide from Southern Seed Exchange for the past few years and have had great success with it.  They really taught me to start planting much, much earlier than I had been...once I started doing that, my garden started doing much better.  

I am on on the Delmarva peninsula and use the coastal guide:

http://www.southernexposure.com/plantingdates.pdf

I have kale, spinach, and chard from last fall that are still producing and will be putting in more spinach, lots of peas, beets, carrots, and lettuce next week.  Looking forward to more garden produce.  orngbiggrin.gif

Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 07:52 AM 02-05-2012

Crumbs,  dd has a birthday party today and I did not budget for a present.  As long as we keep it cheap, I can pay cash.  I really want her to be able to go, she has had such a hard school year and this party is hosted by the one of the few girls that has been a good friend to dd.  

While dd is at the party, I am going to run to the bike repair shop and see about getting my jogging stroller fitted with new tubes and tires.  I walk every day with the baby and on my last walk, the tire finally blew out.  The jogger is ancient, but functions well.  With new tires, it will be like new!  

Going to be a tight month if I keep spending money like this.  

Feb 1 -- thumb.gif

Feb 2 -- thumb.gif

Feb 3 -- thumb.gif

Feb 4 -- thumb.gif

Feb 5 -- birthday present, tube for jogging stroller

Feb 6

Feb 7

Feb 8

Savings goal  69%

FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 12:16 PM 02-05-2012

Key

1.  thumb.gif

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  irked.gif  $$ out for lunch and $$ for food for our little Super Bowl party.

5.  thumb.gif

Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat 04:09 PM 02-05-2012

We would like to know:

a. Who you are

Sarah, full-time WOHM of two (5yo & 21mo), with a DH who is a part-time WOHD and student, and an at-home business on the side

We are trying to get the bills caught up once and for all, get a savings that we can depend on, take a trip to visit DH's family (~$2.5k).

We continue to scrimp and save. It seems like we should have more money than we do. *sighs*

Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 06:13 AM 02-06-2012

Pre-emptive thumb.gif  for the day.  

Feb 1 -- thumb.gif

Feb 2 -- thumb.gif

Feb 3 -- thumb.gif

Feb 4 -- thumb.gif

Feb 6 -- thumb.gif

Feb 7

Feb 8

Savings goal  69%

FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 06:25 AM 02-06-2012

Key

1.  thumb.gif

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

4.  irked.gif  $$ out for lunch and $$ for food for our little Super Bowl party.

5.  thumb.gif

6.  irked.gif but biggrinbounce.gif  Bought t-shirts for the entire family commemorating the NY Giants Super Bowl win.  (We're BIG NY Giants fans!!)

mrsmischief's Avatar mrsmischief 06:12 AM 02-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmischief View Post

2/1- thumb.gif

2/2- thumb.gif

2/3- thumb.gif

2/4- thumb.gif

2/5- thumb.gif (budgeted spending for lunch with friends before painting class)

2/6- thumb.gif

2/7- thumb.gif

Savings Goal- 50%

2/8- thumb.gif

2/9- $13.99 for the Kindle edition of the newly released The New Hate for my book club reading

2/10- thumb.gif

2/11- thumb.gif

2/12- thumb.gif

2/13- thumb.gif

2/14- thumb.gif

FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 07:19 AM 02-08-2012

Key

1.  thumb.gif

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif

6.  irked.gif but biggrinbounce.gif  Bought t-shirts for the entire family commemorating the NY Giants Super Bowl win.  (We're BIG NY Giants fans!!)  DH spent $30 @ Lowes for a drain snake and a small sledgehammer (both needed).

7.  thumb.gif

Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 07:20 AM 02-08-2012

Doing well so far.  We have all had colds, so staying home and mending and not spending. 

I do want to buy something and am deciding if it is worth it -- our electric tea kettle has sprung a leak and I would like to replace it.  We drink a lot of tea, so it gets used many, many times a day.  Dh and I have discussed it and we can work it into the budget and pay cash.  

This is a real departure from our old spending habits.   We would have simply bought it with a credit card and not thought twice about where we would find the money.  Of course now that we live without credit, we have to be so much more careful. All that access to credit led me to think we had more money than we ever really had...yes, I was that stupid.  

Feb 1 -- thumb.gif

Feb 2 -- thumb.gif

Feb 3 -- thumb.gif

Feb 4 -- thumb.gif

Feb 6 -- thumb.gif

Feb 7 -- thumb.gif

Feb 8 -- thumb.gif

Savings goal  69%

Super Pickle's Avatar Super Pickle 07:17 PM 02-08-2012

thumb.gif means no spending

2/5 greensad.gif  $25 for a performance raising money for a children's choir 

2/6  Sheepish.gif  $10 at a coffee shop; $16 at Target on snacks and laundry detergent

2/7 thumb.gif

2/8 thumb.gif

2/9           groceries

2/10thumb.gif

2/11thumb.gif

FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 06:22 AM 02-09-2012

Key

1.  thumb.gif

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif

6.  irked.gif but biggrinbounce.gif  Bought t-shirts for the entire family commemorating the NY Giants Super Bowl win.  (We're BIG NY Giants fans!!)  DH spent $30 @ Lowes for a drain snake and a small sledgehammer (both needed).

7.  thumb.gif

8.  thumb.gif

9.  preemptive thumb.gif

Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 09:11 AM 02-09-2012

Went ahead and ordered the tea kettle yesterday.  I am looking forward to lots of hot tea on these cold mornings.  I picked up our co-op food order this morning and need to sort out all of our bulk food.  And then or course, cook something with all of these bags of rice and beans and spices.  Counting today as a  thumb.gif since I had budgeted for this and even came in under budget! 

Feb 1 -- thumb.gif

Feb 2 -- thumb.gif

Feb 3 -- thumb.gif

Feb 4 -- thumb.gif

Feb 6 -- thumb.gif

Feb 7 -- thumb.gif

Feb 8 -- tea kettle, other kitchen gear

Feb 9 -- thumb.gif

Savings goal  69%

lucifugous's Avatar lucifugous 01:42 PM 02-09-2012

Ok, I blew it! It has been a stressful week, involving unaccounted-for expenses both necessary and unnecessaryduh.gif! But- the bills are paid! Depending how long it takes for one check to come in, I might possibly be a few days late for the daycare payment the last week of the month, but other than that we will squeak by with everything on time! I really came here to write a "throw in the towel" post but, I will continue!!!! I can't expect to make better estimates if I don't stick to it and keep track!

3) shy.gif Daycare $140  orngbiggrin.gif

4) shy.gif Transit to visit my mom $20

5) shy.gif Groceries $60

6) duh.gif $20

7) duh.gif $20 shy.gif phone & debts paid $225 orngbiggrin.gif over an hour

8) duh.gif $35 shy.gif Groceries $37

9) shy.gif Daycare $140 More groceries (I know, it's ridiculous.. not going to explain, but maybe we'll actually get some zero spend days after stocking up!) ?$

christifav's Avatar christifav 06:05 PM 02-09-2012

a. Who you are: Christi, working mom to 2 kids with a dh who is a full time student

b. Where you are going (your financial goals): pay off credit card by June, car by December, 2nd mortgage by 2014, primary mortgage by 2016. Never be in debt again after that.

c. How you plan to get there: Already doing a lot: no cable, no cleaning products, no paper towels. Could do more. Currently have the 2 kids in Montessori because the public schools suck and we don't have time to homeschool, so that is eating up a good portion of our monthly $$. Longing for the day when DH goes to work, but he's on the "10 year plan" (and no, he won't be a doctor).

Not sure I can keep up with the thread, but I'll give it a go.

Feb 8: irked.gif unplanned expense, $35 water pump for jeep

Feb 9: smile.gif planned expense, $10 at work luncheon

FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 08:47 AM 02-10-2012

Key

1.  thumb.gif

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif

7.  thumb.gif

8.  thumb.gif

9.  thumb.gif

10.  another preemptive thumb.gif

lucifugous's Avatar lucifugous 02:57 AM 02-12-2012

5) shy.gif Groceries $60

6) duh.gif $20

9) shy.gif Daycare $140 More groceries $20

10) duh.gif $3 coffee shy.gif $3 baguette (have been buying so many groceries in preparation to host a gathering, this was the last of it!)

11) biggrinbounce.gif finally : )

Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 05:31 AM 02-12-2012

Feb 1 -- thumb.gif

Feb 2 -- thumb.gif

Feb 3 -- thumb.gif

Feb 4 -- thumb.gif

Feb 6 -- thumb.gif

Feb 7 -- thumb.gif

Feb 8 -- tea kettle, other kitchen gear

Feb 9 -- thumb.gif

Feb 10 -- thumb.gif

Feb 11 -- trip to the museum (bridge toll, snacks)

Feb 12 -- movie rental

Savings goal  69%

FillingMyQuiver's Avatar FillingMyQuiver 03:58 PM 02-13-2012

Key

1.  thumb.gif

2.  thumb.gif

3.  thumb.gif

5.  thumb.gif

7.  thumb.gif

8.  thumb.gif

9.  thumb.gif

10. thumb.gif

11. irked.gif  McDs for lunch.  We rented a cargo van (budgeted) and got rid of a bunch of large furniture pieces that have been taking up physical AND mental space.

12. irked.gif  bought the kids some clothes @ Costco.  Went over our usual clothes budget for the month.

13. thumb.gif

lucifugous's Avatar lucifugous 04:54 PM 02-13-2012

5) shy.gif Groceries $60

6) duh.gif $20

9) shy.gif Daycare $140 More groceries $20

10) duh.gif $3 coffee shy.gif $3 baguette (have been buying so many groceries in preparation to host a gathering, this was the last of it!)

11) biggrinbounce.gif finally : )

12) duh.gif $15 shy.gif $9.50 at farmer's market and $21 on a plunger and socks (lol)

13) biggrinbounce.gif so far : )

Tags: Finances , Frugality
1 2 

Up