February meal plan- cooking with love - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying not to do much/any shopping until the end of the week.

We had sloppy joes on Monday but only had 4 buns and no bread and people were still hungry. We had a few taco shells so we experimented with some "sloppy tacos". They weren't bad.

Last night I made stuffed bread using homemade bread dough, leftover ham and some cheese. I made minestrone soup to go with it because we happened to have the ingredients for that.

Tonight dd and I will have leftover soup.

Thursday we will have fish and probably rice.

Friday we will have veggie burgers and french fries.

Breakfast and lunches are cold cereal, oatmeal or leftovers.

I'm going to make some oatmeal cookies.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#32 of 60 Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I've switched somethings around.  Yesterday was horrible at work and I just didn't feel like cooking.  Now we are out of salad stuff. (and most produce).  Tonight is breakfast.  Tomorrow who knows.

I think I have 2 tomatoes left that I could slice up and put with the eggs today.  I refuse to go to the store until Saturday.  We will probably be out of eggs after tonight.

Do you ever look in the pantry and see tons of 'stuff' but nothing to make a meal?  I'm starting to feel like that.  Ugh.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#33 of 60 Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Do you ever look in the pantry and see tons of 'stuff' but nothing to make a meal?  I'm starting to feel like that.  Ugh.

And the fridge, and the freezer...all the time!

I keep thinking I'll post when I get a plan set but that isn't happening so I am just going to jump in. Forgive me I've been throwing together horrible meals lately and I am hoping this will help me get it together. Anxiety and stress have been making me lose my appetite lately so cooking for picky kids is near impossible.

2/7: Potato, kale, soysage stew (kids had veggie chick'n burgers and fruit)

2/8: Bacon avocado veggie burgers (kids had bacon and pumpkin pancakes)

2/9: Lemony garlic pasta with soysage and broccoli

2/10: General tsao tofu, brown rice and green beans

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#34 of 60 Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

This is how I figure out what to buy, and how to get by with purchasing as little as possible.  To me it's like a game or a puzzle, listing all the stuff in my pantry (with amounts) and seeing how many meals I can make with the fewest (or cheapest) possible additional ingredients.

Good luck.  I know it's a challenge.  You could post what's in your pantry and we could help with ideas...

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#35 of 60 Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Next week

Sat: LO black bean chili and bread

Sun: Skillet Lasagne

Mon: Baked potatoes, loaded

Tues: LO lasagna

Wed: Friends over.  We're making adobo chicken, and they're bringing a Philipino dessert

Thurs: Leftovers if any left, or bacon and eggs as breakfast at night

Fri:  Homemade pizza and beer

I'm really looking forward to Wed!

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#36 of 60 Old 02-10-2012, 07:32 PM

Here's our plan for the next little while. I have a well stocked pantry and freezer and I am hoping to get buy without buying anything but fresh fruit and veggies, eggs, dairy and any super deals for pantry stocking if anything comes up. Aiming to keep grocery bill under $200 for the rest of the month unless there are great sales.  I have all the meat, grains and pantry items I need for this meal plan already, so it should be doable.  Most Mondays I feed an extra 2-3 teenage boys and 2 Dads, so we do soup, salad and bread as it can be adjusted quantity wise quite easily. (i'm often not sure who is coming until the morning of) I make a big salad and bake up a big batch of bread and some dessert and it seems to tie them over.  

Sat 11 - chicken, broc and rice casserole, with salad

Sun 12 - ham, potatoes, beans and carrots, chocolate cake, (guests for dinner)  (left over ham for sandwiches later in the week, and Monday's dinner)

Mon 13 - breakfast for dinner, left over ham, green salad with fruit

Tues 14 - sausage and peppers, rice, spinach salad

Wed 15 -  carrot ginger soup and salad with apples pears and feta, bread, brownies for dessert (guests)

Thurs 16 - crockpot meatballs for subs, with veggie and fruit tray,

Fri 17 - homemade pizza

Sat 18- chicken piccata with rice and veggies

Sun 19 - pasta dish (will depend what if any cheeses are on sale next week as to what we do - hoping for spinach and red pepper manicotti)

Mon 20 - veggie soup (broc? potato? red pepper? - will depend on whats for sale) and salad, bread, peach cobbler (guests)

Tues 21 - pancakes of course, fruit salad

Wed 22 -  nothing planned yet - waiting to confirm an appointment - back up will probably be vegetarian chili

Thurs 23 - crockpot chicken and rice, salad

Fri 24 - homemade pizza

Sat 25 - sheppherd's pie

Sun 26 - roast pork, baked potatoes, salad, veggies, cherry crisp and apple pie  (guests for dinner)

Mon 27 - chicken soup and salad, bread, applecake (guests for dinner)

Tues 28 - veggie stirfry with rice and almonds

Wed 29 - baked fish, quinoa, salad

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#37 of 60 Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Zebra - YES, that is a huge problem here!  I can usually come up with something creative for dinner when I have time to cook, but our problem is a lack of snacks and a lack of things that are ready to eat.  If you are hungry right then, staring at dried beans in the cupboard doesn't help much!  We are fortunate to have plenty of ingredients here though, I just need to plan for making more snack foods as well as meals - mostly to satisfy the hubby and kids (I'm fine with veggies and hummus or apples and PB, but they crave other things...)

I ended up changing things this week, too.  It has been busy, lots of things came up to deal with, and I have felt completely wiped out and exhausted.  So I've been keeping things very simple.  I'm hoping to catch up on cooking some "extras" for snacky type things this weekend.

Tues 2/7 chicken nachos with salad

Wed 2/8 White Bean Soup and cornbread, sauteed greens

Th 2/9 Beef and pepper fajitas, salad

Fri 2/10 leftover bean soup, cornbread

Sat 2/11 pork chops, potato leek zucchini soup - also make chicken salad for lunch with leftover chicken

Tomorrow I will figure out the next week's menu and plan some time for making snacks and things.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#38 of 60 Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Have you considered cooking double the amount you need some days and freezing the extra for future meals?

We have trail mix, popcorn, granola bars, cereal, crackers, cheese, hard boiled eggs or fruit on hand for snacks usually.

I have a plan for the next two weeks now.

buffalo chicken nuggets and fries

veggie burgers

steak, pasta and salad

chicken, mashed potatoes, vegetables

shephard's pie

soup and sandwiches

pasta

pancakes

chili, cornbread

gyudon, rice

falafel

bbq chicken sandwiches

pasta

beans and rice

General Tso's chicken, rice, egg rolls

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#39 of 60 Old 02-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Just picked up the few things I need for the coming week. Looking forward to pay day on Wed so I can restock for the month at Costco. As usual, the kids always have fruit with dinner and we have simple breakfasts (cereal, eggs, fruit, toast) and lunches (sandwiches, cheese and crackers, fruit, yogurt, leftovers) and cheese, pretzels and homemade treats for snacks. I also pulled some pumpkin puree out of the freezer to make muffins. 

Tonight: fish and chips, coleslaw, pears and veggies

Tomorrow: kielbasa, mashed potatoes, asparagus, broccoli and apples

V Day: indian chicken curry, channa masala, brown rice

Tostadas with corn tortillas, turkey taco meat, black beans, salad veggies

CP bbq chicken, rice pilaf, cauliflower

High fiber spaghetti and meatballs, sauteed spinach and eggplant for me

CP chicken stroganoff, egg noodles, brown rice for me

Waffles, eggs, sausages, strawberries

CP black bean soup (with ham bone from the freezer and a new recipe that uses curry powder), cornbread 

#40 of 60 Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Swim team is kicking my meal plan butt. Swim team is 4-5  3x a week so we get home by 530. DS is starving.  I try to have the salad ready to he can have that while dinner is cooking.  And I try to have something that can be done by 6pm.

Cooking double to freeze doesn't really work, I can and do cook extra for lunch the next day or dinner/left over nights.

I'm also dealing with a child who has Reactive Hypoglycemia so I try to have snacks available to avoid total melt down. (not good)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#41 of 60 Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:

I'm also dealing with a child who has Reactive Hypoglycemia so I try to have snacks available to avoid total melt down. (not good)

Ugg...I have that too. What a pain that can be. What about a small portion of trail mix or something else with protein, fat and carb to eat on the way home?

T 2/7: Potato, kale, soysage stew (kids had veggie chick'n burgers and fruit)

W 2/8: Bacon avocado veggie burgers (kids had bacon and pumpkin pancakes)

T 2/9: Lemony garlic pasta with soysage and broccoli

F 2/10: General tsao tofu, brown rice and green beans

S 2/11: Leftovers/whatever night

S 2/12: Dinner at MIL's

M 2/13: Peanut burgers, asparagus and orzo

T 2/14: Tempeh in gravy over rice and green beans (though as I type I realize thats Vday, so maybe not)

W 2/15: Bean tacos and rice

T 2/16: Spaghetti with soysage and breaded eggplant

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#42 of 60 Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yes DS keeps snacks in his swim bag.  Sometimes I see him 'chomping' on the walk from the pool to the parking lot.  I think he coach hates me,  we laugh and call DS the 'medical' swimmer. since he has asthma and almost passed out one day and the mystery blood sugar issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

Ugg...I have that too. What a pain that can be. What about a small portion of trail mix or something else with protein, fat and carb to eat on the way home?

#43 of 60 Old 02-12-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

So far this month I've made cupcakes, they were free after rebate and I will not be buying this brand again. "Fun-da-middles".  The filling explodes all over the place and makes a huge mess.  No thanks. But I will say for FREE, I could be persuaded to take them again.

I've used up 2 lbs of mini carrot sticks today.  Baked them slow with cinnamon butter.  Yummmy.  Now we have carrots for the week!

Earlier I also made some cookies from a box mix.  I just do not have good luck with box mix cookies.(But they were almost free and very cost effective)  DS didn't mind

DS has been on a soup kick.  Lunches have been simple.  I will not buy more soup at this point.  Temps are near 80 some days and it will be too hot soon.  We can just finish what we have.

I need to make some headway into the fruit snacks and cereal section.  Cereal requires MILK and milk has been expensive.

I need a plan for the canned fruit.

#44 of 60 Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Have you thought about making soy milk from soybeans, Zebra?  It's very cheap and what we do for "milk".  For recipies that require the added fat content of real milk, I keep some heavy cream on hand, but for cerial just that should be fine.

For next week

Sat: Skillet shepherd's pie

Sun: Breakfast at night... southwestern frittata

Mon: LO shepherd's pie

Tues: Chicken Tangine

Wed: LO chili (from a couple weeks ago)

Thurs: LO Chicken Tangine

Fri Beer and Pizza

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#45 of 60 Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

I kind of got sidetracked on this mission.  But we only went out twice unplanned- and one was a week ago when I was having contractions and we had to drive an hour to get the right herbs- and we stopped to eat, and yesterday lunch at mcds when we went to get my serger.  But otherwise we have been doing pretty good.  Last night we got home at about 6 and I made grilled cheese and pruscuitto sandwiches.  Tonight we are having ham shanks and hash browns- yum!

Friday;General Chicken and rice with coconut cream pie for dessert

Sat:  lunch- roast chicken  supper-plans with friends

Sun: lunch- chili  supper- Potpie?

Monday:

Tuesday:

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#46 of 60 Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM

M 2/13: Vegan french toast and soysage links

T 2/14: Tempeh in gravy over rice and green beans

W 2/15: Egg and bean burritos

F 2/17: Peanut burgers, asparagus and orzo

Not much of an update but I have had a stomach bug and we had a few changes because of that. We are also having alot of dinnertime issues with the kids to the point that I told them tonight that I am going to stop making dinner....so we shall see what happens after tonight

#47 of 60 Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Feb 18-24:

Tonight: new recipe for indian chicken curry, channa masala, asparagus, brown rice (kids: chicken, asparagus, rice, strawberries)

Tomorrow: hamburger steaks, sauteed mushrooms and onions, roasted sweet and gold potatoes, asparagus

Spaghetti with ground beef and zucchini, sauteed spinach

Ground turkey tacos, corn tortillas, salad toppings

CP chicken stroganoff (trying chicken in place of beef in my favorite recipe), egg noodles, broccoli

BBQ chicken (either CP or grill), wild rice, cauliflower

Sausage and mushroom pizza, salad

Sauteed kielbasa, potatoes or rice pilaf, asparagus

#48 of 60 Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM

I'm feeling crabby today....my hubby has been complaining all weekend that I spend too much time cooking.  I like to cook darn it!  Made me feel rather unappreciated.  I am going to make an effort this week to make less time consuming things for dinner (I had a few dinners last week that seemed to take forever) and try to do any 'extra' stuff during the day.  Also, just simplify this week.   I'm going to list from the last time I was here - so last week and this week...helps me keep track (I jot it down at home, too).

Anyway....

Th 2/9 beef fajitas

F 2/10 leftover bean soup and cornbread

Sat 2/11 asiago breaded pork chops, potatoes, greens

Sun 2/12 grilled turkey and cheese sandwiches, salad

M 2/13 burgers, pan fried potatoes, salad

Tu2/14 roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, salad

W 2/15 apple gouda sausages, sweet potato fries, salad

Th 2/16 baked pasta, salad (*GF spirals for me, penne for everyone else)

Fri 2/17 leftover pasta, salad

Sat 2/18 pancit w/ leftover chicken

Sun 2/19 grilled salmon, roasted fingerling potatoes, kale (veg from garden, salmon from freezer)

Starting w/tonight...

M 2/20 Beef Burgundy (this better be good, the prep took FOREVER and is what started DH complaining today)

Tu 2/21 Red beans and rice

W 2/22 Beef  Burgundy leftovers - over mashed potatoes? (was going to make them for tonight too 2/20 but probably won't now)

Th 2/23 polenta with marinara (w/ sausage and leftover mushrooms)

Fri 2/24 leftovers???

Sat 2/25 ? leftovers or pork chops

Sun 2/26 Roasted chicken?  

I'll solidify the end of the week in a couple days when I have a better idea how many leftovers we'll have.

#49 of 60 Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

We are eating from the pantry this week.  I have plenty of staples in there and I really want to use them up before I start to stockpile again.  My lease is up in a couple months and I have no decided if we are staying or moving. I do not want to move a partial grocery store, either across town or across the country.  Agreed?  If we stay, that's fine, I can stock up again, if we go, I can stock up wherever we land.

#50 of 60 Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 PM

F 2/17: Big salads

S 2/18: Tofu scramble, orzo, and asparagus

S 2/19: Bean tacos at family potluck

M 2/20: Sloppy joes, oven fries, and green beans

T 2/21: Lemon ginger tofu over cabbage noodles

W 2/22: Tempeh sesame noodle salad and watermelon (this may change)

T 2/23: Soysage, peppers and onions over pasta

F 2/24: Brown rice syrup tempeh, broccoli, and rice pilaf

#51 of 60 Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 AM

I kind of fell off the wagon in the last week- just a lot going on I guess.  Hoping to put more thought into this week...

T 2/21- ham and bean soup for the kids- (DH and I will probably go out since we have a late farm meeting 30 min away and are getting groceries to save a trip. Just being honest :(

W 2/22 - church supper for the kids and I- DH can have leftover soup from tonight

R 2/23- I am going to get the general chicken recipe tried finally if it kills me!  I have all the stuff and just haven't done it yet- so sad....

F 2/24- dried beef gravy and biscuits

S 2/25- chicken soup

S 2/26- hostessing a get together- will probably make pizza and deviled eggs- that is what I had last month and it went over really really well.

Colemom- want to share your recipe for the chicken curry?   I would love some new fun recipes....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#52 of 60 Old 02-24-2012, 07:07 AM

Ha! didn't follow my plan because asparagus was on sale and looked so good.  So last night I made the worlds best chicken oscar.  It was amazing, easy, and not really too spendy.  I used 2 huge chicken breasts that I started off baking and then decided to throw it in a skillet to cook faster.  I then sautéed the asparagus in butter in the same skillet- and when the chicken was done I put that back in a warm oven to sauté the crab without dirtying another pan :)  I whipped up a batch of hollandaise sauce while everything else was cooking- which wasn't perfect- but tasted awesome.  Holy smokes- it took like 30 minutes and was better than anytime I have had it at a restaurant.  I fed the kids leftover chili...

#53 of 60 Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM

F 2/17: Big salads

S 2/18: Tofu scramble, orzo, and asparagus

S 2/19: Bean tacos at family potluck

M 2/20: Sloppy joes, oven fries, and green beans

T 2/21: Lemon ginger tofu over cabbage noodles

W 2/22: Went out to dinner with out of town family, but we had free kids coupons and DH and I had AYCE soup and salad for $13.50 total. WooHoo!

T 2/23: FIL brought us take out Thai food YUM!!!

F 2/24: Brown rice syrup tempeh, broccoli, and rice pilaf

S 2/25: Pancakes or french toast, soysage patties and watermelon

S 2/26: Dinner at MILs

M 2/27: Soysage, peppers and onions over pasta

T 2/28: ?

W 2/29: ?

DH (FINALLY) starts his new job next Friday and will likely be working until 7:30 many nights. We typically eat at about 5:30 so I am not sure how I am going to work this out. The boys go to bed at 8 but we may be pushing that to 8:30 however they still can't wait until 7:30 to eat. We may just have to have dinner like usual and then reheat DH's when he gets home. However that leaves me as the dinner enforcer. Well, really I don't force my kids to eat dinner. They know that they can choose not to eat but there is always still fighting and complaining weather they eat or not and I will have to battle that on my own now. May be I'll split it up a few nights a week and do some sort of kid dinner early and then make adult dinner for DH and I when he gets home. Shall be intresting.

#54 of 60 Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Colemom- want to share your recipe for the chicken curry?   I would love some new fun recipes....

Sure, I'm actually going to make it again tonight, we really liked it :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/indian-chicken-curry-murgh-kari/Detail.aspx

This is the recipe I started with and then made some small changes after reading the reviews (I always do that on Allrecipes and I'm usually pretty successful). I used a little more curry powder and mixed all the spices ahead of time so it would be easy to add quickly and used a can of coconut milk instead of water and yogurt. I know it's not authentic, but we like the sweetness added to the spicy. I found it cooked down perfectly and was not watery at all.

I was not so good this week and made a number of meals that were not on the menu and got take out one night. I'm determined to do better this week, we're hanging on until pay day.

Feb 26-Mar 2:

High fiber spaghetti with ground turkey/sausage meatballs, sauteed spinach/broccoli

CP chicken stroganoff, egg noodles, broccoli

Ground beef tacos, salad/carrots and celery

CP bbq chicken, wild rice, cauliflower

Kielbasa, wild rice, asparagus/broccoli

Sausage and veggie pizza, salad/carrots and celery

CAT sandwiches, sweet potato fries/baked potato, broccoli

#55 of 60 Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 AM

Last night I finally tried out the general chicken recipe- and it was amazing!  Wow!  I just need to make way way more sauce!  I fed the kids a bland chicken mixed veg stir fry since they would not be impressed with spicy :)  But my dinner rocked!  

#56 of 60 Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Planning for this week.  We'll be pretty busy so I need easy/fast meals for most nights.  I was able to harvest a few things from the garden yesterday, so I think I can put off grocery shopping for greens for a couple more days  :)  Found a few leeks, a cabbage that was ready, a red onion I missed before and a nice little bundle of kale.  I need to get my new spring starts going this week though so we are ready for nicer weather when it arrives  :)

Sat 2/25  Shredded pork tacos, salad

Sun 2/26 Chicken strips (made with boneless thighs), zucchini fries, sweet potato fries, salad

Mon 2/27 Chicken legs, buttery cabbage, roasted potatoes

Tues 2/28 Leftover chili (from freezer), kale, cornbread (make earlier in the day)

Wed 2/29 Leftover shredded pork tacos if we still have any left

#57 of 60 Old 02-28-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

DS wants a special 'leap year' dinner.  He is 11... HELP!   I do not like red meat and we've (he) had way too much hamburger helper and breakfast for dinner this month.

I have chicken and pork in the freezer.  Tuna in the pantry.  Potato flakes, Scalloped potato and pasta in the pantry.  Salad makings.

I think I'm going to STRIVE to make oatmeal cookies for dessert.

#58 of 60 Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 PM

We're doing make your own pizza night with pita bread. You could use tortillas or english muffins. What are his favorites? Pork and scalloped potatoes sound like a good combo to me but not sure if that is 'special'. Or may be some sort of creamy tuna pasta casserole sort of thing. Is that special or do most kids think that is gross?

Quote:

DS wants a special 'leap year' dinner.  He is 11... HELP!   I do not like red meat and we've (he) had way too much hamburger helper and breakfast for dinner this month.

I have chicken and pork in the freezer.  Tuna in the pantry.  Potato flakes, Scalloped potato and pasta in the pantry.  Salad makings.

I think I'm going to STRIVE to make oatmeal cookies for dessert.

#59 of 60 Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

We suffered dinner failure... ended up at Taco Bell, but that is ok. I feel that I did exceptionally well with meal planning for Feb 2012.  This thread has been wonderful for me and we have been packing snacks for swim team, lunches and such.  I will start a March thread, something with a 'catchy name' to keep it fun.  For myself, I am going to try to keep track of dollars spent on eating out in March.

The cookies are still pending, maybe this weekend.

#60 of 60 Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's March, but I am posting anyway.  Decided I need to make my "month" be from the 15th to the 15th because I simply can't be sure of having money in the bank on the 1st (paycheck and child support come after the 1st).

So I'm stretching the pantry from now until the 15th.  Picking up a few essentials in small quantity but not doing my monthly big shop until the 15th.  Here's the meal plan:

1 - french toast/pannukakkua for kids, leftover lentils for me

2 - rice-n-stuff with random sausage from the freezer, frozen veg, tamari

3 - beans (probably baked beans from scratch, as I have a package of bacon, yum)

4 - shepherd's pie with potatoes, hamburg, frozen veg

5 - marrow-bone soup (never made this before, but have marrow bones to use, and any leftover shepherd's pie will go right in it.)

6 - "on the go" (fondly known as "$15 dinner" - eat out for less than $15 total - kids split a loaf of crusty bread and each gets 3 pcs of deli meat w/fresh veg)

7 - lentils

8 - hamburgers and salad

9 - (KIDS GONE)

10 - (KIDS GONE)

11 - homemade pizza

12 - beef stew (carrots, potatoes)

13 - "$15 dinner"

14 - french toast

15 - turkey, potatoes, corn (put most of turkey into freezer for future meals)

16 - (KIDS GONE)

17 - (KIDS GONE)

18 - homemade pizza

19 - turkey soup

20 - $15 dinner

21 - lentils

22 - turkey rice

23 - beans (time to experiment, need to settle on a recipe, oh my!)

24 - turkey pot pie

25 - salad night

26 - soup or stew (possibly beef stew)

27 - $15 dinner

28 - french toast

29 - hamburgers

30 - (KIDS GONE)

31 - (KIDS GONE)

We always have a "meat meal" - hamburgers or turkey - for dinner just before the kids meet their dad for their weekend with him, and we always have homemade pizza when they come home.  I decided to bookend their visits with their dad with special (hearty) meals, and they love the routine of it.

Our "$15 dinner" is because we leave the house at 3:30pm and we're not home until 9pm on that day, and we need both "fast food" and a place to sit and eat it in a short period of time, so we get bread and deli meat and some bits of things from the salad bar at our local co-op.  I usually just get something very small from the salad bar.  It's as cheap as I can manage to feed 5 people out on a busy day.  And the kids feel like they are "eating out" which is a big treat.

All I need to buy is a couple of onions, a head of lettuce, a few bags of corn chips (a staple in our mostly-GF house), a package of hamburger buns, bread.  I should also get another bag of apples.  Everything else is from freezer/pantry.

Breakfast is toast, granola bars from discount store (we have a backlog), granola, oatmeal, burritoes, eggs, peanut butter, nuts, raisins, apples, etc.

Lunch is leftovers, basics such as hard salami and canned salmon, peanut butter, eggs, nuts, raw veggies, burritoes, smoothies, pasta, sausages if we have them.

Snacks are popcorn, corn chips, raw veggies, apples, nuts, raisins.

For breakfast, lunch, and snacks, we just scrounge from the standard options.

We drink water and sometimes tea.  Sometimes I make homemade lemonade or cocoa.

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page