February meal plan- cooking with love - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Another tight month financially around here.  I am going to try to continue to use up 'stuff' from the pantry and only purchase necessities from the grocery store.  Since I don't have a DH or 'special someone' for 2/14 and it falls on a Tuesday I just might make DS something special that day or over the weekend.  DS has requested a special 'leap year' dinner.  Any thoughts on what the heck that means?  It would be a Wednesday dinner?  I am also dealing with swim team practice 3x a week.

*only listing dinners this month

2/1- Salad, Dinner in a bag, yogurt.  Made cookies for dessert

2/2 - Breakfast (eggs, sausage, english muffins)

2/3-  

2/4- Dinner Out

New Week

s 2/5- Corn dogs, french fries, salad

m 2/6- Salad, Hamburger Helper

t 2/7 - corndogs, tater tots, salad

w 2/8- breakfast for dinner

t 2/9- grilled cheese, nachos and salsa

f 2/10- KFC, dinner failure

s 2/11- Dinner out (coupons or Gift cards)

New Week

s 2/12  pork, potatoes, baked glazed carrots

m 2/13 Hamburger Helper, salad

t 2/14- VALENTINES? (drive thru duck.gif)

w 2/15 Breakfast

t 2/16 Hamburger Helper, salad, carrots

f 2/17 salad, chef boy r dee

s 2/18 Dinner out (coupons or gift cards)

New Week

s 2/19 chicken, potatoes, veggie

m 2/20 spaghetti, meatballs, salad

t 2/21 leftovers, salad

w 2/22 breakfast

t 2/23 lasgana bake

f 2/24 corn dogs

s 2/25

New Week

s 2/26 Hamburger Helper

m 2/27 Breakfast

t 2/28 dinner in a bag/garlic bread

w 2/29 SPECIAL LEAP YEAR DINNER?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#2 of 60 Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really need to meal plan.  I have done it before- but haven't in awhile.  I don't think our supper meal is our biggest problem- we just spend so much money on snacks for DH and the kids!  It is all good stuff- but good stuff is expensive.  If I could get a good meal plan down- it would help to keep us home that night a week that we get bored and go out and claim to need groceries...

The kids and I have toast or french toast or pancakes for breakfast

Lunch is generally eggs or chicken and cheese quesideas (sp?) or hebrew nationals in a pinch or when they are super on sale.  Or sometimes just peanut butter sandwiches or fruit and cheese.

That said- I am in for a Feb plan :) and I will start that here...

2/1- shrimp and scallop cocktail with lasagna for the kids (the cocktail was amazing) and homemade chocolate pudding for dessert.

2/2 bacon/mushroom/cheddar stuffed meatloaf and baked potatoes with sautéed spinach

2/3 we have plans with friends

2/4 we have plans with different friends

2/5 cheddar/jalopeno/guac burgers with homemade fries and corn

2/6 Fried chicken with sweet potatoes

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 60 Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Then include snacks in your meal plan.  For awhile I was posting all 3 meals and snacks.  Those couple months really forced me to take a long hard look at what I bought and how we used it.  I still buy snacks but I am much more conscious of what I buy and when.  Meal planning for dinner has also forced me to use up the left overs. And it's made me add salad 3-4 nights a week.  Just by having salad, and eating it while I'm making dinner we eat less overall.  Salad is the poor family's appetizer  lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

I really need to meal plan.  I have done it before- but haven't in awhile.  I don't think our supper meal is our biggest problem- we just spend so much money on snacks for DH and the kids!  It is all good stuff- but good stuff is expensive.  If I could get a good meal plan down- it would help to keep us home that night a week that we get bored and go out and claim to need groceries...

The kids and I have toast or french toast or pancakes for breakfast

Lunch is generally eggs or chicken and cheese quesideas (sp?) or hebrew nationals in a pinch or when they are super on sale.  Or sometimes just peanut butter sandwiches or fruit and cheese.

That said- I am in for a Feb plan :) and I will start that here...

2/1- shrimp and scallop cocktail with lasagna for the kids (the cocktail was amazing) and homemade chocolate pudding for dessert.

2/2 bacon/mushroom/cheddar stuffed meatloaf and baked potatoes with sautéed spinach

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM

I'm working a lot Sat-Sun-Mon, so I'm doing stuff that I can make ahead as much as possible.

Sat: Baked ziti (left over from today)

Sun: Chicken Riggatoni

Mon: LO chicken riggies (yeah, I know, lame having it two days in a row, but given my work schedule we'll all just deal)

Tues: Black bean chili and bread

Wed Breakfast at night -- omlette using random ingredients

Thurs: LO black bean chili and bread

Fri: beer and homemade pizza

Lunches are going to be turkey and cheese or PB&J this week.  Breakfast options will be toast and apple butter or homemade meusli with soy milk.  And coffee.

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#5 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 AM

How do I plan fruit and nuts and whatnot for 4 kids and a warrior diet husband?  I have started making bread again- and that seems to fill them up- but my kids are bottomless pits and my DH only eats supper and protein snacks.  And he won't eat carbs- well the occasional potato serving- but never pasta and rarely brown rice.  He was doing protein shakes- and I completely flipped over the cost- and started hard boiling eggs- and that has helped- but he apparently likes the shakes.  Hard boiled eggs are cheap and filling- my egg supply has just been spotty at best.  Does anybody else go though like 8 dozen eggs a week?  Doesn't that seem a bit excessive?  We are going back to having our own layers this summer and hopefully that will help- or it will be like my milk cows in that I currently get 2 gallons a day and then have to figure out how to get them to drink that much or make cheese or something....  Good problem to have- but all I do is feed them all day long!  I don't buy any processed snacks....  (Well I take that back.  I snuck a bag of milano cookies in the cart and hid them and have one with my coffee every now and then.  Mama has to have some treats I think :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#6 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM

Yikes Iowaorganic, that's a lot of eggs.  On the other hand, they're such a cheap source of protein, and when we're having lean times I work them into the meal plan a lot to make up for the lack of meat.  Those shakes are such a rip off.  My brother is a protien guy and makes his own shakes from soybeans and eggs... could your husband cope with something like that or are the shakes he's getting "the one"? 

I agree, snacks are hard to meal plan for.  We just keep around a bunch of not too expensive, easy to prepare stuff for people to pick at when the urge strikes... anything more planned than that comes off too rigid in our home.

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#7 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:

.  He was doing protein shakes- and I completely flipped over the cost- and started hard boiling eggs- and that has helped- but he apparently likes the shakes. 

Can you make your own protein shakes? You can buy a big tub of protein powder (vanilla flavored or whatever) and then he can have a shake made with plain nonfat yogurt and some protein powder, and you could add peanut butter or nut butter for flavor? You could even make the yogurt yourself since you have tons of milk. We usually add a frozen banana/frozen fruit to ours, but if he's doing only protein that woudn't work. I bet with a little bit of googling you could find an awesome homemade protein shake recipe and make them yourself and save lots of money.

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#8 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM

We don't do soy.  But I will have to experiment with egg shakes again- the last couple he said weren't very good- me personally I like raw milk and eggs blended with a bit of sugar and vanilla and ice.  I find it refreshing :)  Yeah the eggs are really pretty cheap compared to the dumb shakes.  DH is funny.  if I make eggs for supper he won't eat them.  But if I made hard boiled eggs or deviled eggs he will eat 6-8.  That makes no sense.

I am changing my plan tonight.  Still the meatloaf- it is thawing now- but my potatoes are kind of getting old- so I am going to fry them since they aren't like baking quality...  I think I am going to make homemade ice cream for dessert.  I have 4 gallons of milk in my fridge and need some gone especially since there will be another gallon tonight....

#9 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

For snacks, I kinda plan for the week. I know I have : popcorn, fruit snacks granola bars etc that NEED to be used up this week. I let DS know those are the things he can choose from for snack time.  Some times I will put those things in the bowl on the counter or I will at least move them to the front of the pantry.  Other times I have things in the fridge that need to go and its yoguart and fruits etc. 

Like tonight for dinner we are having 'breakfast'  which is going to be eggs, sausage, english muffins (cuz they are getting old), I also have yogurt to add and possibly cookies for a snack later on.   I had a shitty lunch today.  I subbed and didn't take much of anything so right now I'm having a plate of cheese, old crackers and some dip that is close to exp; date. and a lonely tomato.    Dip can fix anything  lol.

For that many eggs I would be getting them from costco in the 5 doz flat. (or the 2 1/2 doz flat from the grocery).  We do eggs but not that many.  

My kid who is on swim team really can eat me out of house and home.  I'm glad he is on swim, I'm glad he is active and loves the team and does well at swim (I'm super glad his asthma isn't holding him back anymore) but man.. the food... its like the cow came to graze after practice.

#10 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM

Isn't there an entire meal planning sub forum around here somewhere? This thread would probably fit there.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#11 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 06:06 PM

I love meal planning. I keep a xeroxed calendar page on the fridge and we pencil in meals a few days ahead. This is mainly for dinner. We also write in if we are gone such as this Saturday for a family night with 3 other families. We bring an appetizer and a bottle of something.

This week, We did Cashew chicken, eggplant parm (from 'takeout' or the freezer) chicken and dumplings (fed the freezer with the leftovers) and tonight we had a piece of beef tenderlion left in the freezer from last year's beef side. We served it w grilled portobello mushroom, a spread of goat cheese and a slice of tomato on top. Tomorrow the kids asked if we could go to this brick oven pizza place down the street from our house.

Since the Super bowl is this weekend, all the great junk food is on sale LOL. So I bought some shredded cheese for casadillas and our veggie box had 6 organic avacados in it. That will make a great guac this weekend!

We do a meatless night for dinner at least once a week, but we aim for twice. That could mean tofu, huge salads, veggie pizza, grilled portobellos, eggplant...the list goes on and on.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#12 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM

I've never planned meals for a whole month at a time, but I'm going to try this month. 

Every week, I want to have at least 1 meal with fish, at least 1 meal with an eggy main dish (from our chickens), at least 1 big salad meal, and at least 1 meatless meal.

Weekday breakfasts are cereal, yogurt, fruit, sometimes scrambled eggs, toast.  On weekends, we usually have a big breakfast one day.  Lunches are usually sandwiches, leftovers, quesadillas, and 1 day a week we have Annie's mac and cheese.

Snacks are raw fruit, veggies, yogurt, nuts, pretzels, sometimes tortilla chips, cheese sticks, sometimes homemade muffins or bread.

Weds Feb 1-  BBQ pork tenderloin (crockpot), buttery cabbage, sliced raw green peppers

Feb 2-           Nicoise salad and breadsticks

Feb 3-           Kale and eggs

Feb 4-           Brown rice and black beans, with cheese, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and tortilla chips

Sun Feb 5-     Salmon patties, steamed broccoli, brown rice

dinners to add in...  crock pot roasted chicken, chicken enchiladas, buffalo chicken salad, bison burgers, spaghetti with homemade sauce and turkey or bison meatballs, waffles and eggs, homemade pizza, pizza muffins,

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#13 of 60 Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM

I don't have the whole month planned yet.

sandwiches & french fries

spaghetti, salad, garlic bread

tandoori chicken, rice, salad, naan

ham

pizza

stuffed jumbo shells

pork chops, baked beans, mashed potatoes

sloppy joes, french fries

stuffed bread

veggie burgers

Dh is talking about grilling steak for Valentine's day. We have some fish in the freezer that will get used this month. There will be leftover ham that will be used in another meal.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#14 of 60 Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 PM

It might, but I like the one here because it focuses more on budget-friendly mealplans, economic issues, etc. (or at least it did last month).

Anka

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

Isn't there an entire meal planning sub forum around here somewhere? This thread would probably fit there.

#15 of 60 Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM

I have the month planned, but I only do shopping for the week. FWIW, these are all WW friendly meals because...well, if you saw me, you'd know why irked.gif

Wed 1-Feb Salisbury steak w/ mushroom gravy green beans
Thur 2-Feb Pizza w/ mom  
Fri 3-Feb Mexican shrimp cobb garlic cheddar biscuits
Sat 4-Feb Dinner at Kirsten's  
Sun 5-Feb Super Bowl @ Mom and Dad's  
Mon 6-Feb Asian glazed drumsticks broccoli 
Tue 7-Feb Swedish meatballs and egg noodles snap peas
Wed 8-Feb Baked potato soup  
Thur 9-Feb Santa Fe Chicken rice
Fri 10-Feb unplanned  
Sat 11-Feb Baked chicken nuggets greek salad
Sun 12-Feb Pork chops with mushrooms and shallots mashed potatoes
Mon 13-Feb Broiled tilapia with tomato caper sauce summer squash
Tue 14-Feb Valentine's day dinner  
Wed 15-Feb Chicken Shiitake Wild Rice Soup  
Thur 16-Feb Asian pork with mushrooms spinach gratin
Fri 17-Feb unplanned  
Sat 18-Feb Baked ziti with spinach salad
Sun 19-Feb Balsamic chicken w/ roasted veggies cauliflower puree
Mon 20-Feb Shrimp fried rice pineapple
Tue 21-Feb spaghetti bolognese caesar salad
Wed 22-Feb Macaroni and cheese soup with broccoli  
Thur 23-Feb Carnitas cilantro lime rice
Fri 24-Feb unplanned  
Sat 25-Feb spinach manicotti caprese salad
Sun 26-Feb Peruvian roasted chicken  avocado salad and rice and beans
Mon 27-Feb Shrimp quesadillas  tomato avocado salsa
Tue 28-Feb Asian peanut noodles w/ chicken cucumber salad
Wed 29-Feb Greg's Bday!!  

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#16 of 60 Old 02-03-2012, 01:14 PM

I should add - this is the first time in a long time that I've planned so many meals upfront.  I don't know if we'll really need this many.  But right now I'm planning on leftovers being used for lunches and a once a week (Friday) "fend for yourself" day.  I'm hoping that we'll have more leftovers and can have one or two more days like that a week...

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#17 of 60 Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM

Hi Chrissy!  :)

I am continuing to base meals around the freezer/pantry and filling in with fresh produce, milk, eggs, and coffee  redface.gif  .....probably some other things will come up, but I am trying to keep it simple and use what we have - and make things at home if possible.  I am going to be starting some early crop seeds this week so hopefully I'll be getting produce from the garden soon!  We've still got some kale growing, a couple of small cabbages and hopefully my overwintered spinach starts are gaining some girth, but that's about it for now.  It helps so much when I can stay out of the store longer by getting my greens at home.

Wed 2/1 apple gouda sausages, potato pancakes (w/leftover mashed), salad

Th 2/2  leftover shredded pork tacos, salad  (I just had it on salad with a few corn chips)

Fri 2/3  creamed chicken and biscuits with leftover chicken  (almond flour ones for me, regular for everyone else)

Sat 2/4 homemade pizza - crust dough in the freezer from last time I made pizza (GF for me, regular for everyone else)

Sun 2/5  roasted chicken, roasted potatoes, cooked spinach or kale   **soak white beans for soup**

Mon 2/6  pork chops, buttery cabbage, applesauce  **cook white beans with ham hock**

Tues 2/7 white bean soup, leftover biscuits OR make cornbread if they are gone, cooked greens

I generally only plan up to a week and every few days I evaluate...if we are building up a bunch of leftovers I'll bump everything a day and we'll have a leftover night or if there is something that really needs to be used I'll try to work it in.   

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#18 of 60 Old 02-03-2012, 07:41 PM

Hi Artemis!  The cabbage I made the other night was your "recipe" for buttery cabbage.  I've made it several times and love it so so much- so simple and so good!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#19 of 60 Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 PM

I will be back with some sort of meal plan soon. I need help!

But as for the shakes, my DH is an athlete and his post workout shake is frozen banana, milk, peanut butter, greens, and hemp protien. We buy this 3 pound bag of hemp protien on Amazon.com for $25 on subscribe and save.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#20 of 60 Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

I will be back with some sort of meal plan soon. I need help!

But as for the shakes, my DH is an athlete and his post workout shake is frozen banana, milk, peanut butter, greens, and hemp protien. We buy this 3 pound bag of hemp protien on Amazon.com for $25 on subscribe and save.

Ohhh- I will ask DH about the hemp.  How much does he add?  Does anyone else find it bizarre that while illegal to grow hemp for any reason- we can buy it in various forms?  

#21 of 60 Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 AM

I believe he uses about 3 tablespoons per shake. Don't get me started on the not being able to grow hemp issue. We use hemp seeds, hemp protein powder, and hemp oil almost daily. It is so good for you. Not always the most frugal but I've learned where to find the best deals.

Quote:

Ohhh- I will ask DH about the hemp.  How much does he add?  Does anyone else find it bizarre that while illegal to grow hemp for any reason- we can buy it in various forms?  

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#22 of 60 Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 AM

Ive been looking for this thread! I plan weekly. Doing lots of freezer friendly cooking to begin my postpartum stash.

My theme this week is cheap soups, since we haven't been paid from DHs work due to a payroll issue in late december.

Black bean soup
French onion soup
Chicken curry soup with mushrooms, peppers and spinach
Chili (I have almost all the ingredients already)
Creamy vegan potato and leek soup

I will also be making a spinach goat cheese quishe and a big tray of roasted veggies, and a big salad

Lunches will be sprouted grain turkey or egg sandwiches

Breakfasts are eggs, beef bacon, grits or maybe waffles

Doula mama to my nursing toddler Noah

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#23 of 60 Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 AM

I know I posted many of these meals in the end of Jan, but am organizing the meal plan for the coming week, so posting again. I am cutting out gluten and large servings of starches for myself, so I will have spaghetti squash or sauteed spinach instead. The kids also have fruit with dinner.

Tonight: Thai red curry with shrimp and vegetables, peanut noodles with tofu and spinach, brown rice

High fiber spaghetti and ground turkey and sausage meatballs

Ground turkey and black bean chili, cornbread

Shrimp tacos, black beans, salad

CP bbq chicken, rice pilaf, cauliflower

Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, broccoli

Steaks, roasted vegetables, broccoli

CP beef stroganoff, egg noodles, broccoli

Sausage, red pepper and mushroom pizza, salad

Breakfasts are early morning cheerios/cream of wheat and banana for kids, then scrambled eggs, fruit, homemade muffin/waffle/toast/bagel. I have eggs and spinach.

Dh takes leftovers for lunch, the kids have sandwiches/crackers and cheese/tortilla wraps, fruit, yogurt. I eat greek yogurt and whatever I can put together.

Snacks are string cheese, fruit, homemade muffins/cookies, honey wheat pretzels and snap pea crisps.

Not a very exciting menu, but it gets us through the week  without wasting food and is kid friendly for my kiddos.

#24 of 60 Old 02-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Great ideas here. I also plan weekly. As for food preferences/necessities, I am an omnivore, DH is an omnivore minus cow dairy, DD1 is pescatarian (she calls it vegaquarian), and DD2 is an omnivore, but likes veggies raw and everything separate and unsauced. So, given all that, I like to make "modular" meals that we can add stuff to like cheese, meat, sauce, based on preference, or the person who doesn't eat what we're having gets a sandwich or something similar and side dishes. I do tend to make the same 10-12 meals in rotation because I have figured out what I can make quickly (DH WOH and I am a WAHM) and most people will eat and fits in the budget.

Breakfast is leftovers, cottage cheese, eggs, toast, cereal - depending on the family member.

Lunch is leftovers, sandwiches, easy stuff like soba noodles & tofu or salad - depending on the family member. Plus snacks for the kids.

Here is what I am making this week:

Mon - pasta with canned salmon & tomato sauce, kale or carrots/cucumber

Tue - fish curry, rice, cauliflower

Wed - vegetable chap chae with meat/tofu on the side

Thu - possibly baked tofu and vegetable stir fry

Fri - probably I will save 1/2 the larger pkg. of fish or meat from earlier in the week & make with quinoa and leftover vegetables (or more kale from the freezer)

Here is an interesting idea I recently read about:

http://www.simplesavings.com.au/21dollarchallenge/tools/

The idea is to challenge yourself to spend a very low amount (I chose $25) for just a week, relying on what you already have at home and really using your creativity to use everything up before going shopping. Well, it worked! I was able to do this last month despite having only a small pantry, no hunting/gardening, etc. This is not meant to be an every-week plan, but instead a means to get by until the end of a tight month, save a set amount each month, use up pantry and fridge stuff before it gets too old, etc. I am trying to cut our grocery bill by about 30%, and this really helped last month.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#25 of 60 Old 02-05-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post

Sun 2/5  roasted chicken, roasted potatoes, cooked spinach or kale   **soak white beans for soup**

Mon 2/6  pork chops, buttery cabbage, applesauce  **cook white beans with ham hock**

Tues 2/7 white bean soup, leftover biscuits OR make cornbread if they are gone, cooked greens

I am bumping things out a bit because we still have leftovers to eat.  So today, Sun, is leftover pizza for lunch and leftover shredded pork tacos for dinner. 

Sun - leftovers

Mon 2/6 Roasted chicken, roasted potatoes, greens (soak beans)

Tues 2/7 Pork chops, applesauce, buttery cabbage  (cook beans)

Wed 2/8 White Bean Soup and cornbread, sauteed greens

Th 2/9 Chicken soup of some sort?

Fri 2/10 probably a leftovers day

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#26 of 60 Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I also want to make oatmeal cookies this month and use up the fruit snacks that have invaded my pantry.  I think winter is over here (AZ) so I need to be conscious of items that need baking/cooking and use them because soon it will be quick items that do not heat up the place.

#27 of 60 Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We are only doing a week at a time right now, so we can establish what's in the freezer for each week.

2/6 - Potato soup

2/7 - Meatloaf

2/8 - Turkey leftovers

2/9 - Flounder

2/10 - Broccoli salad (using broccoli instead of lettuce)

2/11 - Shrimp alfredo

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#28 of 60 Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I made a meal plan.  Basically it's a two week plan.  I haven't done this for a long time and it's great to finally get my act together to start again.

I try to shop only once a month based on these meals.  I have a printed out grocery list of all the ingredients I need to renew each month, and another printout of our pantry staples that need to be kept up with.  I have an extra fridge and freezer and a good storage system.

This plan hinges on the fact that the kids are at their dad's every other weekend and I have to feed them something substantial before they leave on Thursday (2 hour drive) and fast/easy when they return on Sunday.

My 7yo LOVES potatoes so we will have them twice a month (at least)

My 9yo LOVES kale, so we will have it twice a month (at least).

My 12 yo LOVES pot pie and shepherd's pie, so we'll have that sort of thing twice a month.

My 13yo LOVES hamburg, so we'll have that twice a month.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, we're out all day and need something easy, so we'll have easy dinners on those days.

On Tuesdays we have to eat on the run, and we can get "cheap" dinner out (1 loaf bread, 2 slices deli meat each, small salad bar salad) for about $15, which the kids LOVE, or else I will precook hot dogs and bring raw veggies and call it picnic dinner.

My budget wants us to eat beans, lentils, soup, rice-n-stuff, and other creative things made with leftovers.  My kids need to get used to eating more legumes and non-meat meals.

My nutritional conscience says we need more salad, so we'll eat it as a main meal twice a month.  My kids need to get used to eating more veggies of all kinds.

Picky kids get eggs or peanut butter for their backup option.

Leftovers become breakfast and/or lunch.

Su - potatoes, kale, beans/sausage or other meat if on sale

Mo - soup

Tu - cheap dinner out ($15/all five of us), or pre-cooked hot dogs and raw veggies

We - lentils or french toast

Th - pasta with meat, or hamburgers

F - (kids are at their dad's)

Sa - (kids are at their dad's)

Su - homemade pizza

Mo - soup

Tu - cheap dinner out ($15/all five of us), or pre-cooked hot dogs and raw veggies

We - lentils or french toast

Th - rice-n-stuff or leftovers

Fr - pot pie or shepherd's pie

Sa - salad or homemade tacos/burritoes

- single homeschooling mom to 16, 14, almost-12, and 10
#29 of 60 Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM

My week was shifted by going to my Mom's on Sunday for supper and picking up my beef order.  But we haven't gone out for supper yet!  We did go out on Sunday for lunch- but that is our usual Sunday lunch after church- since we wouldn't normally get home until 1 pm- and if we don't eat before that the kids are monstrous :)  I did do a stock up grocery on Monday afternoon- and that was expensive- but necessary.

2/6 cheddar/jalopeno/guac burgers with sweet potato fries and corn

2/7 same since the burgers were packaged in 12s...  but with carrots and cucumbers

2/8 fried chicken and mashed potatoes

2/9 general chicken and rice (new recipe- hope it is good!)

2/10 homemade pizza- everyone might revolt since I will be gone all day at a conservation class- must be delis :)

2/11 banquet at church (DH surprised me and bought us tickets)

2/12 plans with friends

2/13 steaks for DH and I and burgers for the kids

2/14  chili

#30 of 60 Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 AM

double post

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page