Anyone wanna do a tax refund countdown? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 86 Old 02-02-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you are expecting a refund, have you filed yet?  Accepted by the IRS?  Gotten your money?

Bonus if you care to share your ideas for said refund.  :D

I filed ours and they were accepted on January 31st, so last Friday. 

I was surprised that our state refund was in the bank account this morning, Feb. 2nd!  That was super quick; NM must be processing them quickly this year.

I know some people who filed federal a couple weeks ago and were told there was a delay and to not expect their refunds on time.  I'm hoping since we just recently filed, that ours will come the expected date. 

Hoping to use some of the money for plan tickets to Hawaii to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.  Also, planning to pay off our youngest kid's tuition for the remainder of the school year.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#2 of 86 Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sounds good!  That is a fast state return you got.  Hawaii sounds wonderful, looks beautiful ... the closest I will get to those Islands for a long time is watching the movie The Descendants (saw it yesterday).

I have almost completed my taxes...just have to do a final check and then push the done button. Before I can do that I have to figure out one little thing....whether I can file as a regular employee OR if I still need to file as sole proprietor (which ended Dec 30,2010) but there were a few accrued things in early 2011. Ho Hum.

I want the return so I can put the money into the kitchen renovation account, escalate those savings and be done with that job by April.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#3 of 86 Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

We were supposed to get ours on the 1st but now its saying the 6th! Of course we were expecting it on the first so we paid off some big bills and now we're screwed. Sigh.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#4 of 86 Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

We were supposed to get ours on the 1st but now its saying the 6th! Of course we were expecting it on the first so we paid off some big bills and now we're screwed. Sigh.

I just had a friend tell me this same thing for her return!!  According to her (and I'm pretty sure she called the IRS), there was a glitch that flagged a bunch of returns as fraud, but it's all ironed out now.shrug.gif

As for us, I just hit the file button an hour ago.  Our state return is going towards paying off our truck, not sure about our federal, yet.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#5 of 86 Old 02-02-2012, 04:18 PM

We efiled using turbotax for the first time this year. I think it was Tuesday night? The return looks way bigger than it ever has so I don't know if we did everything right? Kind of makes me nervous. Maybe I should of paid someone to do my taxes. I used to pay Jackson Hewitt hundreds but I've been trying to save money. I wonder how long it will take to get my return?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#6 of 86 Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

E filed on Monday, using direct deposit.  I don't know when it will be here yet, it just says 8 to fifteen days and I haven't checked it because Im not sure the EXACT amount with change, etc, since my mom did them for me.  I know the rounded number but the web wants exact everything.  We're doing a lot with ours--paying off the car, doing a few car repairs, buying some furniture (big lots and  walmart but still, much needed), putting some in savings, and taking a small vacation in the summer.  Hubs and I are also getting some new clothes and getting the kiddoes a yearly membership to the children''s museum.  Fun stuff!

#7 of 86 Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 PM

wow happyhats, sounds like you're getting a great return. I am hoping to pay off two credit cards and put $1000 in savings for an emergency so I don't have to charge my credit cards up ever again. I hate bondage!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#8 of 86 Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 AM

Well, I e-filed and everything was accepted, but then I got both of our 1098-T forms, which just about doubles our refund.  So the first half should hit our account on Monday, and the next a bit later. 

No huge plans for the $ - pay some bills we got behind on, put a good chunk in savings.  I'm trying to justify an ipad, but I probably won't do that.  My h's 40th bday is on the 29th this month, so I want to put some aside to do something fun w/ him.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#9 of 86 Old 02-03-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post

Well, I e-filed and everything was accepted, but then I got both of our 1098-T forms, which just about doubles our refund.  So the first half should hit our account on Monday, and the next a bit later. 

No huge plans for the $ - pay some bills we got behind on, put a good chunk in savings.  I'm trying to justify an ipad, but I probably won't do that.  My h's 40th bday is on the 29th this month, so I want to put some aside to do something fun w/ him.

My DP is trying to justify an iPad.  Poor thing has to justify it to me and I'm a pretty tough cookie. Sheepish.gif 

#10 of 86 Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm waiting on one more piece of paperwork and then I'll hit submit.  So far, I'm getting a new A/C unit.  Mine is dead!  DEAD I TELL YOU DEAD!  And then I'm getting the kids dental done.  Little snots have an army of sugar bugs destroying their thank judas perfectly straight teeth.  The rest is going into savings.  Oh and I'll probably take the crotch fruit shopping for some new clothes.  DD2 is a diva and DD1 is starting to look like a hippy. 

#11 of 86 Old 02-03-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

You just reminded me I need to make a dental appointment.  Even with insurance we pay out the butt for DH's crappy teeth, so I always put off getting in to be seen.  Yeah, I should make it a point to do so when we get our refund.  And I promised DD a pair of Jordans, b/c apparently she *needs* them for middle school. 

#12 of 86 Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Uh... yeah she does!  Remember middle school?  So hard to be kool when you don't have the right kicks!  winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

You just reminded me I need to make a dental appointment.  Even with insurance we pay out the butt for DH's crappy teeth, so I always put off getting in to be seen.  Yeah, I should make it a point to do so when we get our refund.  And I promised DD a pair of Jordans, b/c apparently she *needs* them for middle school. 

Drummer's Wife likes this.
#13 of 86 Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 AM

Ours now says the 21st....

We're insulating our rabbitry for the surely brutal summer ahead, buying seed potatoes, onions, and any other things we need for the garden, buying canning jars, getting acupuncture for my migraines, getting some dental stuff started, and hopefully building a tornado safe room.  All this cannot be done w/our return, but we have a car for sale on Craigslist w/several people coming to look at it this weekend.  We're only getting $1700 back, but I am thrilled we're getting anything at all back.  My dh has his w/holdings adjusted so we get more during the year.  He had monthly profit sharing last year, and thankfully they taxed it at like 25%, so that and the loss on our farm (feed and hay prices are ridiculous!!!) saved our butts.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#14 of 86 Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Mine says it will magically appear 2/14. I am waiting HARD! I hope my car lasts 2 more weeks - the transmission wants badly to simply drop out on some remote country lane. I will have enough $ to either repair this car (it needs much more than just the tranny) or get a new (used) one and start over. Price would be about the same, but I think I could get a more fuel efficient choice. Until last year, my family was larger, so I needed the 8 passenger van. Now I drive all over town for work, so I would prefer efficient and maneuverable. I plan to save some, and pay off some bills. Then if anything is left, I want to take the vacation we had to cancel last holidays (insufficient funds).

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#15 of 86 Old 02-03-2012, 07:57 PM

We had to file on paper for the first time EVER this year thanks to a nanny situation that went south (she refused to give us her SS number), so I have no clue when our return will make it back to us. We're getting a good state and federal return this year, all going straight to savings!

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#16 of 86 Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 AM

we filed on the 16th and got our refund on the 27th.  we got back 6300 and all of that was applied to debt.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#17 of 86 Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Why wouldn't she?  She didn't want to be taxed?  You make over 600 and you have to file taxes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post

We had to file on paper for the first time EVER this year thanks to a nanny situation that went south (she refused to give us her SS number), so I have no clue when our return will make it back to us. We're getting a good state and federal return this year, all going straight to savings!

#18 of 86 Old 02-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Why wouldn't she?  She didn't want to be taxed?  You make over 600 and you have to file taxes. 

She said she was scared of what we'd do with the number. We were going to pay her under the table, which was originally what she wanted, but when we let her go she basically lost her mind. I could write a book. :rolleyes:

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#19 of 86 Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 PM

So it's been six days and the IRS wheres my refund tracker still doesn't even register that I filed. I have a feeling this could take awhile.

#20 of 86 Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM

We're hoping to file tonight.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#21 of 86 Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

The IRS's where's my refund updated our status to say our refund is scheduled to be deposited tomorrow, Feb. 7th.  That was fast! I wonder if it will really be in our account then, or not, b/c originally it said to expect our refund February 15th.

#22 of 86 Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Still nothing here. It's not even registering that we filed. We also filed on the 31st. I don't know!

#23 of 86 Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM

I e-filed last week. We're getting a pretty large refund thanks to several tax credits. We're using the money to pay off debt. Thanks to my new job and my husband's raise, we made $10K more this year than last year. We're finally in a place financially to start snow balling debt!

Kate~ Mama to two.
#24 of 86 Old 02-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Our status changed from a generic "On the 14th" to the specific amount to be deposited tomorrow.  I really hope it goes through!  Our return was accepted the 31st.  We got our state today.

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#25 of 86 Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

The eagle has landed! lol.gif. We really did get our refund today. Hooray!

#26 of 86 Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM

I hope I can say that tomorrow!  Congrats :)

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#27 of 86 Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 AM

We filed on the 3rd and the IRS site is saying we will get our refund on the 21st.  State was deposited yesterday!  I was really impressed with how fast that showed up.

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#28 of 86 Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM

Sent it thru on Sunday the 5th of Feb. It was accepted right away. But no deposit date. I am thinking by the 17th.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#29 of 86 Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 PM

So if I did mine on the 31st why is there no info for me yet? It's driving me nuts.   wild.gif

#30 of 86 Old 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

That's odd that it's not registering that you filed and letting you know when to expect a refund.  I'm surprised it went so smoothly for us; in the past, the where's my refund would set it back a week or so and say there were processing delays, or something. 

Hope you find out soon!

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page