Filing for bankruptcy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!  The time has come where I feel filing for bankruptcy would be beneficial.

I just got laid off from my job.  The same day, I got a call from a law office who was planning to sue my husband for a $6,000 credit card debt.  They said that if we act now (next week) they'll settle for half.  We have to come into their office (need an appt though), sign paperwork that states the account and the matter are closed, and give them a certified check.  I'm iffy on all of this and will likely call to request something in writing on Monday.

Between my husband and I, we owe at least (and I say at least because I'm not sure about some of the accounts- interest and whatnot) $20,000 in credit card debt.  On top of being young and stupid, we charged a lot of our groceries and such so that we could make payments.  When the cards maxed out or were put on hold, we had to stop paying because we needed to put food on the table.

My husband makes very little, somewhere around $30,000 per year, but without the debt it is well within our means and do-able.  With my income before (slow season I was getting $400/mo, busy season as much as $1400/mo) it was even more do-able.  

My husband's name is on one vehicle, it's worth about $400.  Our main vehicle is in his mother's name.

I have an interview next week to get a Link card (food stamps) and medicaid should be kicking in again for all of us (I am the only one covered right now) within the next couple of weeks.

Right now, paying monthly payments is not an option- wage garnishment is something I fear greatly- where would we live?  I am fortunate to be getting the Link card, but still.. and utilities?  Eek.  

Bankruptcy is looking like a very real possibility.  Most of our creditors will be taking us to court soon, I think.  The sooner the process can begin, the better.

I really don't know where to start.  My mother had financial issues and filed a few times, as did my stepfather.  I'd like to call him and get info on who did it for him, how much it cost, etc.  I was told it was fairly expensive.  Is there a way I could represent myself, or is that a stupid idea?

Would my husband and I have to file separately? 

Anyone done this before and willing to share their story?

I realize that bankruptcy has it's repercussions, and I'm okay with that.  This is dire.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 67 Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I filed about 9 years ago.  I walked away from close to 50k in debt.  I had an atty and the total cost was less than 1k.  I would NOT do this with out an atty.  You need to pull your credit report and find all your accounts.  You will want to file with your husband most likely.  You will want to do chapter 7 and discharge all the debt, not ch 13, which is repayment plans.

About 6 mos after my court date I was able to get 'credit' again.

WindyCityMom likes this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 67 Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

One more question?  Half of my tax return was going to go to that attorney, and half was going to go to my midwife.  Can they garnish our tax return yet?  Wouldn't they have to take me to court, review the case, and have the judge decide that?   

I'm wondering if I should just hold out, call the law office, and tell them that they should start the process of suing my husband.  Would Chapter 7 cover that?  Google isn't helping much.

According to Google, going to court will just garnish our wages and take our assets ... I'm ok with the $400 car going- but will they take my beat up laptop (which was a gift from a family member)?  Certainly they won't take our kids' beds, right?  That kind of stuff... I don't know what they mean by "assets".  

Holding off on paying the law firm would mean we'd be able to pay a bankruptcy attorney to get this process started sooner than later..  ideas?

#4 of 67 Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Zebra!  And goodness, credit is the last thing I want! (Good to know though)  I mean, sure I'd like to be able to purchase a new vehicle within the next 5 years- but with this debt, that's not happening anyways.  I can't see things being worse than they already are.  And the stress is nearly unbearable.

#5 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 04:00 AM

#6 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Make sure you have any debt collection agency certify - provide you a written, legal statement - that they own your debt and have the right to collect it! Send them a letter through certified mail requesting this. A lot of companies out there try to collect on debt that they don't legally own, and even if you pay them, you're still on the hook for the money later down the road. Be very careful. 

Also, you can't get certain types of debts discharged anymore, as mentioned. I believe student loans are ones that you're stuck with paying. Since the new bankruptcy laws were passed a few years ago, getting a chapter 7 dismissal is pretty hard - most people have to go through chapter 13 repayment. You need to consult an attorney that specializes in bankruptcy/debt law. Do not try to navigate this alone. 

As to your question about assets - they can take houses, vehicles, money - I'm pretty sure they can't take stuff like common household goods, like your kid's beds. There's simply no market value in that stuff, frankly. They take assets in order to flip them so they recoup a portion of what is owed. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#7 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 AM

I've not read the whole thread, just the OP, and I'm not in your state/area so the laws might be different  but a couple of things jump out:

1- I've NEVER heard of a law firm acting as a debt collector. NEVER.  I have however heard of debt collectors flat out LYING to try and collect a debt and threatening things that are simply NOT possible or even legal. They get away with it because most people aren't aware of their rights when it comes to debt collections.

2- Not sure about where you are but where I am from bankruptcy laws have changed. It no longer eliminates the debt you had previously incurred. What happens here is that your finances are analyzed and you are put on a strict living allowance/budget based on your income. You will be allowed enough to live off of with NO frills. No cell phone, cable, dry cleaning, eating out, ability to move. As in you will have to save for several months to even afford a single ticket to the zoo. (that is all 3rd hand information).  The financial restrictions will be in place until you have paid back all the debt.  The plus side is that (I think) your debt will not continue to accrue interest (it is frozen at it's current value). However, any additional income that you bring in (new job, raise, 2nd job, etc). Will automatically go towards paying off the debt. Your living situation will be frozen until the debt is paid. ETA; What KitchenQueen said.

3- have you heard of Dave Ramsey? He is fairly hard core and unsympathetic towards somethings but he knows his stuff, knows how to handle debt collectors and offers sound advice (if hard to swallow).  

4- along the lines of #4. Are you involved with a church? I ask because many churches offer all types of help for these types of situations. They may have food programs, financial assistance programs, financial advisors who will help for no charge, child care, etc.  The Dave Ramsey program is offered at many churches and it called "FInancial Peace University" many churches will offer it free to those who need it. 

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#8 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 AM

The trustee will not take your only vehicle, worth $400. In all states there are exemptions, in the thousands; it's how people keep their belongings, cars, boats, and even houses with equity in bankruptcy. Most states allow you to choose between federal or that state's exemption - whichever works out best for your situation. You can keep your tax refund - this years and next years... you will just need to exempt and count it as an asset - chances are the day you file it won't still be sitting in your accout, right? Depends on the state, but some do allow for so much cash on hand. It would be best, of course, to pay your attorney and any bills like rent ahead of time so the money is spent.

Look to see if you qualify to file for free - if you qualify for food stamps, you probably meet the income guidelines to waive the filing fee. You could file pro-se, yourself, and many people successfully do so - especially in uncomplicated cases such as when there is no businesses owned or a mortgage. It means understanding every single schedule and form. Hours and hours of work.

Talk to an attorney - a consultation should be free. Otherwise you are just going off what others (myself included), are saying. there is some misconceptions in this thread already. You don't have to cut out all spending; you just need to not be using credit cards, usually it's 90 days thy look back on. No one is going to care if you spent $50 going out to dinner or got a haircut the month before. They are looking for big purchases and money or property transferred - as in, hidden bank accounts or a Ferrari you gave away as a gift last year.

JMO, but $20K is a low amount to file BK, since you wouldn't be able to file again for 7 more years. What if something major happened, since you say your DH does not have health insurance?

Also, check out creditboards.com and bkforum.com for BTDT stories.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#9 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I'm in Illinois.

We will all have health insurance in the coming weeks.  There is just NO way to pay the $20k in debt without sacrificing our rent/utility/gas expenses.  We are on a very tight monthly budget.  

I spoke to my stepfather who just filed chapter 7.  He advised me to not pay the law office because of the reasons you all stated above.  *And* because I'll need that money to file for the bankruptcy... I didn't know you could qualify to file for free if you're low income.. I will look into that.  (Though I *do* remember my mom found a pro-bono one when I was a kid because she was disabled, had low income, and was a single parent.. that worked out for her). As soon as our income tax return comes in, I plan to pay the midwife, pay my March rent ahead of time, and most importantly go find a bankruptcy attorney.  I'll be looking for free consults, since a lot of firms charge a consult fee that they will waive only if you sign with their expensive practice.  not really what I want to do... I don't want to be baited in.

I'm just crossing my fingers that they're not in the process of garnishing my tax refund :(  I stupidly gave them my DH's account number, but we're transferring his direct deposit into a different account now.

#10 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 10:08 AM

I don't know a lot about this, but I have heard that it's not a good idea to file until you are sort of through the worst of times and are starting to climb back up. I'd see a bankruptcy lawyer and ask them if you'd benefit from filing now or from waiting. It sounds like you are worried about this $6k from the other law office, but I wouldn't rush into filing because of that--make sure it wouldn't be better for you to wait.

#11 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 AM

I just filed chapter seven and it was easy and a huge relief. I don't check back all that often but feel free to pm me. All my debt is being discharged. You can keep some assets, especially a car worth under a certain value, even some savings. I'm sure it varies district to district but BK is federal so my experiences will be similar to what you would experience.

I did use an attorney because I own a business. You could also look into a paralegal. Go with your own comfort level on that one.

I was being harassed by an attorney debt collector. I think some threats to take you to court are just threats, but you don't know who is bluffing and who isn't. Extremely stressful.

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#12 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 AM

You file together with your DH. I'd go at least a paralegal or low-cost attorney. I found one online that charges after you file a one time fee of $900.00 or a monthly payment option. I paid the $900 do I don't know the details.

Once you file, there is an automatic stay and no one can try to collect a debt from you during that time. There are debts that can't be discharged (like if you've had a judgment against you as in you injured someone, and there are a few others, not credit card debt) After you file you have to go to a meeting with the trustee which seems scary but is not a big deal AT ALL.

You have to take a credit counseling course before you file. This can be done online and can cost around $12.00. Then another course before final discharge of debt. I really enjoyed the second course.

Good luck, Mama!! smile.gif

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#13 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all!

I am so less stressed after looking into this option.  My DH is on board, he wants the calls to stop, and he is just incredibly stressed.

I'm actually looking forward to trying a credit counseling course.  We need all the help we can get!

#14 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My Mil just did this.  I can tell you she is so much happier.  When she did it they promised not to take her house or car.  And she still has it all.  Just no longer has debt.  The new debt laws make it pretty easy for those who make under 40k.  Good luck and I certainly hope things start looking up.  Can't wait to see you on here with less stress!

#15 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM

My father in law is an attorney that does exactly those types of lawsuits (debt collections, etc.) If they are contacting you, they own the debt or they are acting on behalf of someone that DOES own the debt, so the call is not just something out of the blue. Going through the bankruptcy process is stressful and whatnot but if you go to court to work out the debts, the lawsuit can end sometimes in the positive for you guys, as well. If they get your settlement down to a low monthly and eliminate interest in the courts, you can avoid the bankruptcy situation and your credit report won't be GREAT, but after about a year of hell with the bills, you guys will probably be in MUCH better shape than a formal bankruptcy. You might even be debt free (which 20k of debt is NOT bad especially if you can work part-time and your husband makes the kind of money he makes.) You have to pay for the debts you incurred, but you will be less likely to jump into a situation that could lead to future financial troubles. Plus, bankruptcies can cost a lot more than a thousand dollars.

Another option would be to get a personal loan from the bank for whatever you owe on all your debts and to use it to pay off all your credit cards in one swoop if that would still be a possibility. Then you'd have one payment to make (it wouldn't be a GREAT interest rate, but it would probably be less than what you currently pay on your credit card interest rates to where you would be paying WAY less than what those are currently added up together for the month to month. Good luck, even if it's a bankruptcy option you guys choose. 

#16 of 67 Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM

My husband went through a bankruptcy almost 2 years ago. I can't remember the specifics but it cost about $1000, the majority of his debt was medical bills. You have a lot of great advice here so I'm not going to touch on the bankruptcy. 

What I do want to comment on is the calls and the stress from creditors, which more then likely wont stop right away after the bankruptcy. Ours took about a year to taper off. But there are a lot of laws and regulations they have to follow when they contact you. Times they can and can not call during, how often they can call, if you state that you do not wish to receive anymore calls they must next address you by writing. After the bankruptcy is finished if they call you only need to inform them that you have gone through bankruptcy and the name of the lawyer who handled it, it is their responsibility to get the information. 

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.shtm has all the information about the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. 

WindyCityMom likes this.

Wife to a wonderful man, not a mommy yet but looking forward to when we are ready. 
"Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." Loretta Young
#17 of 67 Old 02-06-2012, 11:20 AM

If you are on the verge of bankruptcy I strongly urge you to reconsider your birth plans. You have pregnancy Medicaid that will pay 100% of your costs. The last thing you can afford now is to spend thousands on a midwife.

Do not pay anyone a dime until you get independent financial counseling. Maybe someone on MDC can hook you up with help in your area. I am honestly worried that you will wind up in the same position again with no recourse. Bankruptcy is good at erasing debts that are overwhelming your income; they will not help if your expenses continue to outpace your income, such that you are putting groceries on credit.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#18 of 67 Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Oh wow. There's a lot of fear-mongering in this thread that's not even true.

In your situation a Chapter 7 is likely an option. The first requirement in filing bankruptcy, either 7 or 13, is that you attend a pre-bankruptcy counseling session. I would recommend that you find and attend a session near you and that will answer a lot of questions and help you figure out if this is the right option for you then you can decide how to proceed. If you call the courthouse in your town they should be able to give you listing of places that can do this counseling.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#19 of 67 Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM

I filed Ch 7 for a very weird situation- it was to separate my name off a business- I had no personal debt to forgive- and the business debt wasn't forgiven either.  But you are allowed to keep 10K in assets.  You kids bed is worth about $15.  You are using garage sale values here- not what you paid for it.  Your laptop is worth about $50.  A household worth of stuff isn't worth very much.  So- don't worry about that.  They will ask you to list everything you did in the past 6 mo.  So writing out a check for a midwife is probably not a great idea.  My attorney and fees was $1800- but that was for more than just the ch 7.  not sure what he charges just for a chapter 7.  I think both credit counseling courses were about $60 total.  But stashing your tax return to pay your attorney is a very good idea.  Don't do this until you have a good working budget going for you that you have made work for a couple of months.  I would go with a medicaid paid birth and save your money- we didn't have any insurance or medicaid so we had to have a cheap home birth while I was going through this...  I am totally home birth- but a free medicaid one might be better in this case.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#20 of 67 Old 02-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

If you are on the verge of bankruptcy I strongly urge you to reconsider your birth plans. You have pregnancy Medicaid that will pay 100% of your costs. The last thing you can afford now is to spend thousands on a midwife.

If this is your situation, please, please, please utilize your Medicaid to pay for your birth.  Anything else is beyond foolish.

#21 of 67 Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM

OP, as a fellow Chicagoan, I'm just making sure you've thought about the repercussions of bankruptcy on your rental options.  Having rented several different apartments in different areas of the city, I think that they usually looked at our credit and financial situation.  If I were you, I would want to make sure that I wasn't limiting my housing options to sketchy landlords or apartments.  I know you could probably find a rental where they just look at your take-home income, but it's good to be aware that bankruptcy might limit your housing options at least a bit. 

I'm Rach, full-time mama and part-time doula.  I love my city life with Mr. J stillheart.gif, Little J diaper.gif (05/03/10), and brand new Baby V love.gif (02/11/13)!

#22 of 67 Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

If this is your situation, please, please, please utilize your Medicaid to pay for your birth.  Anything else is beyond foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

Do not pay anyone a dime until you get independent financial counseling. Maybe someone on MDC can hook you up with help in your area. I am honestly worried that you will wind up in the same position again with no recourse. Bankruptcy is good at erasing debts that are overwhelming your income; they will not help if your expenses continue to outpace your income, such that you are putting groceries on credit.

Ditto the above.  

When was the last time you purchased groceries/household items/necessities on credit?  If it was recently then filing BK won't help you.  If you can't manage your normal monthly expenses already, what are you going to do if you pay for a bankruptcy  AND pay a midwife?  You won't have any available credit and you won't have anything in savings because you blew your refund on filing fees and a midwife.

I'd work out a budget based on your husband's income alone, plus any unemployment you receive.  Pull your credit reports and figure out what you owe, to whom and what stage of collections the debts are in.  If your income can cover your expenses adequately, see what you can put towards debt repayment.  Stash your refund in savings or use it to settle old debts.  You can't afford to pay out of pocket for a midwife if you can receive adequate care for free in a hospital setting.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#23 of 67 Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitter_patter View Post

Ditto the above.  

When was the last time you purchased groceries/household items/necessities on credit?  If it was recently then filing BK won't help you.  If you can't manage your normal monthly expenses already, what are you going to do if you pay for a bankruptcy  AND pay a midwife?  You won't have any available credit and you won't have anything in savings because you blew your refund on filing fees and a midwife.

I'd work out a budget based on your husband's income alone, plus any unemployment you receive.  Pull your credit reports and figure out what you owe, to whom and what stage of collections the debts are in.  If your income can cover your expenses adequately, see what you can put towards debt repayment.  Stash your refund in savings or use it to settle old debts.  You can't afford to pay out of pocket for a midwife if you can receive adequate care for free in a hospital setting.

I haven't put anything on credit in over a year, or somewhere around that time frame.  We use our wages to pay for food, rent, utilities, etc.  We have been living within our means for awhile, just not paying off our debt because it was not within our means.  

As for renting, my current landlord is a sweetheart and has asked us to please stay until we are on our feet.  She didn't do a credit check but she knows our financial situation.  We got turned down by apartments before we found this woman, and at the time it was because my DH and his dad have the same name- their unpaid mortgage and car payments and their share of credit card stuff was on our credit report- as well as our debt.  I am comfortable in my living situation currently and I don't forsee any reason to move.  Our credit is already shot, so if I had to find another apartment *now* I'd be SOL anyways.

I'd rather not get sliced in half again. I discussed the matter thoroughly with my midwife.  She helped me weigh my options.  

I'm trying to figure out if I can even collect unemployment.  I worked there for less than a year.  I was part-time.  i'm looking into those options.

#24 of 67 Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to file for unemployment online.  I'll receive a letter within 7 days.. fingers crossed.

Imakcerka likes this.

#25 of 67 Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 AM

I only read the first few posts on this thread so forgive me if I sound repetitive.

OP, I was in a very, very similar situation as you four years ago. Here's what happened to me.

First with the situation regarding your husband and his debt... my fiance defaulted on payments on a personal loan so bad that an attorney for the debt agency contacted him and basically said if you don't pay the monthly payment on time and now, the company will sue you. We got everything in writing, made a payment arrangement and took care of it. It was all legit. It was the last chance before we got in serious legal trouble. And, actually, a lien was put on his credit until it was paid off, which it was after we sold an investment property. It stays on your credit report like a bankruptcy even after the debt is paid. This happened a year or so before below.

I filed chapter 7 four years ago. It wasn't from frivolous spending. I obtained several credit cards and personal loans to initiate financing of an investment property. The one I mentioned above. We had a loan in escrow and couldn't obtain funds until we did repairs. We didn't have capital to start with so I took a huge chance on using my excellent credit to get these loans to finance the project. It was going to be either a positive or negative life-changing situation for us. Obviously, things didn't go well. I'll spare the details. Here is how the filing of bankruptcy went for me. I was living in Georgia at the time. I got all my info together and made an appointment with a bankruptcy attorney. You need to know the names, addresses and phone numbers, plus the balances you owe of ALL your creditors. If you think you will definitely file, and are continuing to use your credit cards, STOP NOW. It will look fraudulent if you are filing and are using your credit cards at the same time. So, I brought all my documents to the appointment and had to hand over a certified check of roughly 1500.00 before the attorney would do anything. So, the process began, the creditors almost immediately stopped calling and sending me stuff. A court date was scheduled within 2 months. Before the court date, I had to do a credit counseling course... one online and one over the phone. Then, I went to court and it was over. As long as everything is in order, and you are truthful and forthcoming with information with your situation, the bankruptcy gets discharged. I filed in May and it was discharged in September. You spoke of an upcoming tax refund. If you use it to pay off legitimate expenses, like your midwife, then you should be fine to do that. Keep every extra penny you obtain well documented just in case. Be upfront with your attorney and tell him everything. I had a tax refund that I used to pay medical expenses and it was totally fine. The aftermath... be sure you want/need to do this. It stays on your credit report for 7-10 years. It could potentially be very difficult for you to get a job, apartment with this on your credit report. I just obtained a secured credit card a few months ago. It only has a $200 limit. I had to put a deposit down for half. I am just now rebuilding my credit. This should only be used as a last resort. I agonized over this decision. I felt I had no other choice. I used this experience as a hard life lesson. I am ashamed I did this, but felt that my situation was dire and my credit debt was so severe that it was the only option. Yes, you instantly become debt free, but you end up paying in other ways. I feel like I was passed over for a few jobs because of my bankruptcy. We are looking to move in a few months (have been living with family most of the 4 years) and am worried about my credit file. My scores are pretty decent considering what I did (high 600's). It will take a long time to repair this damage. Just be sure you have no other choice. Don't talk to people who have done it multiple times. No offense, but it sounds like if you file more than once, then you haven't learned any lessons.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#26 of 67 Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I've gone over this a few times and I'm wondering if all your debt is on one card or if it's spread out.  If it's spread out it might be a good idea to use your tax refund to pay as much as you can on the lowest amount.  And if you do start getting Unemployment that should help with taking down the other debts.  Believe me I've been there.  I was bringing in 39,000 a year on a 100,000 lifestyle.  As in we were there at one point and were too naive to think it would ever change. And when it changed we had the same bills.   But life happens and I've spent the last three years digging myself out slowly.  I started to sell things and even considered babysitting for awhile on top of working.  However any money I got went to making my life easier not harder. 

You should be able to get WIC, unemployment and Medicaide.  I would take full advantage of both of them.  While we all want things to go our way we can't always have it.  I know you're hoping for a homebirth with a MW, I think you might be able to get a decent experience in a hospital.  With Medicaide the price tag is free.  Your tax returns could lessen your burden financially.  That in turn will lessen your stress.  Maybe even consider watching some kids on the side if you're capable.  You can even find things on CL to sell that people are giving away for free.  I had a very good friend help me through all this. 

When things were looking down, I was able to keep both my cars and my house.  I sold half of the furniture I owned, clothes that were nice but unnecessary and anything else I had that wasn't going to feed my family and I dug out.  And I'll give you an idea of what I had to work with

Bills were approx 2500 a month, cars,  mortgage, utilities and credit cards.  My take home after taxes was 3000 a month.  We had 500 for groceries gas and anything else that we needed for the MONTH.  I spent almost 200 a month on gas going to and from work.  (if the numbers look off I'm talking about take home and not talking about taxes and what the company took out for insurance).  It wasn't easy to adjust but it was worth it. 

You may be in the situation where you don't have any money left over after you pay the necessities.  If that's the case then that's where the selling things comes into play.  People are always giving away perfectly good items that you can profit from. 

#27 of 67 Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

I haven't put anything on credit in over a year, or somewhere around that time frame.  We use our wages to pay for food, rent, utilities, etc.  We have been living within our means for awhile, just not paying off our debt because it was not within our means.  

As for renting, my current landlord is a sweetheart and has asked us to please stay until we are on our feet.  She didn't do a credit check but she knows our financial situation.  We got turned down by apartments before we found this woman, and at the time it was because my DH and his dad have the same name- their unpaid mortgage and car payments and their share of credit card stuff was on our credit report- as well as our debt.  I am comfortable in my living situation currently and I don't forsee any reason to move.  Our credit is already shot, so if I had to find another apartment *now* I'd be SOL anyways.

I'd rather not get sliced in half again. I discussed the matter thoroughly with my midwife.  She helped me weigh my options.  

I'm trying to figure out if I can even collect unemployment.  I worked there for less than a year.  I was part-time.  i'm looking into those options.

If I'm reading this correctly, frankly, I hope your bankruptcy is denied, as it is clear you aren't interested in learning how to manage your finances to avoid a situation like this in the future.  And, the last time I checked, most midwives were not qualified to be making financial decisions for clients who are looking to file bankruptcy.  Perhaps I'm misreading that statement, but it doesn't seem that way.

So I'm clear, I don't think everyone that has filed for bankruptcy has a problem with money management.  I'm well aware that crap happens.

Apples12 likes this.
#28 of 67 Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

If I'm reading this correctly, frankly, I hope your bankruptcy is denied, as it is clear you aren't interested in learning how to manage your finances to avoid a situation like this in the future.  And, the last time I checked, most midwives were not qualified to be making financial decisions for clients who are looking to file bankruptcy.  Perhaps I'm misreading that statement, but it doesn't seem that way.

So I'm clear, I don't think everyone that has filed for bankruptcy has a problem with money management.  I'm well aware that crap happens.

I tend to agree with this.  Not wanting a c-section doesn't mean you won't need one anyway, and then you may end up needing one AND being out all that money to the midwife.  Are there no VBAC providers in Chicago that will work with you?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#29 of 67 Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

I tend to agree with this.  Not wanting a c-section doesn't mean you won't need one anyway, and then you may end up needing one AND being out all that money to the midwife.  Are there no VBAC providers in Chicago that will work with you?

I'm not going to comment on the other issues, but Chicago is not very NCB friendly. The OP hired the only homebirth midwife that allows VBAC in the Chicago area.. There are hospital based midwife groups that will provide a VBAC under certain circumstances, but I believe the main group of MW's that allow them and take medicaid are the same providers she used previously that resulted in a c-section.

I'm not defending or attacking the OP's choices, but I do want to put it out there that this area has very limited options for NCB.

autismribbon.gif

#30 of 67 Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIa View Post

Quote:

I'm not going to comment on the other issues, but Chicago is not very NCB friendly. The OP hired the only homebirth midwife that allows VBAC in the Chicago area.. There are hospital based midwife groups that will provide a VBAC under certain circumstances, but I believe the main group of MW's that allow them and take medicaid are the same providers she used previously that resulted in a c-section.

I'm not defending or attacking the OP's choices, but I do want to put it out there that this area has very limited options for NCB.

That is simply not true.  Sorry but it isn't.  Several of our hospitals now have birthing tubs in the rooms.  Two of the ones I toured had birthing balls and squat bars in the rooms.  Many have groups of midwives who deliver in the hospital.  Yes, the midwives work under an OB but you can definitely have a midwife + hospital birth.  And  many OB's are VBAC friendly.

You cannot make such a statement about the entire Chicago area.  It simply is not true.

It looks like the OP is very early in her pregnancy.  She has time to interview lots of hospital based midwives and OB's to find one who is VBAC friendly and who she clicks with. 

Another thing to consider is if insurance covers a hospital transfer if the homebirth does not go as planned.

Tags
Finances

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page