Need help finding coupons for organic foods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope this is the right section. I can't find any printable organic coupons. Help?

#2 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Not on the computer....the Whole Foods by my house has a "book" of coupons by the door.

Sorry I can't be more help.

#3 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 01:06 PM

I think the bigger issue is what you eat. I have never seen coupons for whole foods (not the store but like fruit/veggies etc) it's always for processed organic crap...and even that is rare.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#4 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

If you are looking for branded processed foods with organic ingrediants, you can usually find them on the brand website if they have any. Whole Foods also has a coupon book in-store that changes monthly. Also http://www.mambosprouts.com/ has them too. If you have favorite brands try liking their facebook pages as well.

As far as whole, unprocessed foods, pretty much nil.

The best way I've found to save money is to shop the sales for that week and stock up on those items and eat in season.

#5 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 03:05 PM

I mostly shop at Whole Foods, and I'm able to keep our weekly bill low by shopping the sales (and for produce, that is what's in season, my rule of thumb is less than $2/lb for organic) and using their coupons/sales for anything processed or sometimes dairy/bread has coupons.  But if I'm going to buy my son a "treat" (he looooves those squeezy keifers but they are horribly expensive) I only do it when I have a coupon.  We buy whatever yogurt doesn't have sugar and is on sale/coupon.  I always buy their grass fed ground beef and chicken when on sale and make them package the beef in .75 lb packages and freeze a bunch... same with fish, they will have wild caught fish sales every so often. And I always buy a few whole chickens when they are on sale.  And 2 turkeys right after Thanksgiving when the price is slashed.  I am able to keep it below $100/week for a family of 3 with some convenience foods and all organic by only buying their sales.  That's pretty good for Whole Foods.  But it takes a lot of meal planning and as soon as I skip a week of being meticulous about it, it all falls apart on me and I spend more!

#6 of 22 Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 AM

Our budget is $300 a month for a family of soon to be 4. Well maybe $350 now with DDs allergies...It's much harder int he winter but in the summer the farmers markets are OOBER cheap and organic even (some of them you have to ask).

We do quite a bit of meat but have a small grocer that carries local grassfed/pastured beef and pork for like $4 a pound. In the winter we usually only but frozen fruits/veggies and just bake a lot of goods to keep us full. I get sprouted flour 5lbs for $20 which is way more pricey than whole wheat flour but it's worth it for health IMO.

Lots of soups right now too. In the spring summer we do less baked goods and more fresh fruit/veggies. The expensive things for us are cooking oil, Earths Balance "butter", and coconut milk (we use to cook with). DD is allergic to tomatoes, dairy, eggs, sesame, grapes, and strawberries so that cuts out some cheaper foods like pasta and eggs....which sucks!

If you really commit to the time and effort to make everything from scratch you save a lot of money.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#7 of 22 Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM

This blog has links to coupons and amazon deals, etc for more 'natural' foods-

http://savingnaturally.com/

I also like this one, about once a week she post a 'natural/whole foods' post-

http://moneysavingmom.com/

I really tried to get into coupons but had a hard time. I will sometimes search for specific coupons for odd things, like the cat food we use or eye drops, but don't use much for food. We shop at Trader Joe's and the local HFS mainly and the farmers market. We cook a lot so don't buy much prepared type food. I find that Tj's brand stuff is usually less then name brand with a coupon (like sprouted grain bread, org yogurt, tofu, org tomato sauce, frozen org berries, etc) At the HFS I keep an eye on bulk food sales and new item sale, sometimes they will pair with a coupon as well. I'd love to here other suggestions....

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#8 of 22 Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've had really good luck with the Whole Foods Flyer for certain treat-y things like the kefir squeezes that my kids love. (Also, so annoying, far less sugar than regular, wish they sold them in the jar). Some organic brand websites have coupons. Buying in bulk can get you 10% off a case and amazon.com has some really good prices on bulk.

#9 of 22 Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM

You can get coupons for Stonyfield Organic products directly from their website. Every once in a while we get a coupon for Florida Crystals sugar in our newspaper.

I would recommend checking out the specific websites of the products you want coupons for and see what you find. Also, if you send their customer service dept. an email about how much you love this or that product, sometimes they'll send you coupons. I did that with a Hummus company once and they sent me 2 or 3 coupons for free hummus!

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

#10 of 22 Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Find the Facebook pages for products/brands that you normally buy and "like" them. Usually, they will have deals now and then. "Like" your local Whole Foods' store page as well so you can be the first to know about sales (such as their Friday one day sales). Whole Foods also has their coupons online:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/coupons/index.php

There is also http://www.organicgrocerydeals.com/forums/forum.php   They have a facebook page as well.

You can occasionally find things on Amazon via their Subscribe and Save option. It's like buying in bulk and it can be cheaper. While your there, sign up for Amazon Moms, especially if you buy diapers and wipes.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#11 of 22 Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM

I check this site daily:  http://www.organicdeals.com/

#12 of 22 Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM

My issue is that there aren't ever any coupons for fresh produce and raw dairy. If someone could figure that one out I'd hug them!

#13 of 22 Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I too need to start saving organically. We are beegan (veegan plus raw honey) and only eat organic food. My food budget has leaped to nearly $600/month since I've moved. I used to think Whole Foods was pricey but here there is none and the local 'co op' is way over priced! Part of the reason I've spent so much is because I've had to get new 'spices' and pantry stock items like bags of quinoia, rice, peas, beans etc... I have almost finished restocking the essentials so I think next month my budget will drop a bit.

Plus the CSA here starts in June so I hope that will help. Right now I go to the farmers market but it is pretty expensive (unless I wait till it is closing and ask around for last minuet deals). However the farmers market does give five dollars in 'market bucks' if you use a credit card or ebt card to buy food there.

Also if you are vegan you can get organic soy milk from WIC. It is tough to convince them you need soy if you are not in WA, OR or CA where it is common. I had to call my former WIC office and ask them to explain to the certifier at the office here how to look up the soy package and it took almost two hours in the office just to get it done! I prefer hemp or almond milk but I really need to cut back on our food budget so I signed up for WIC again.

Lastly COSTCO has some organic items for killer prices! It varies from store to store and you have to get a lot of one thing but if it's stuff you eat it's worth it in the end!

be good family...

#14 of 22 Old 05-14-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

I too need to start saving organically. We are beegan (veegan plus raw honey) and only eat organic food. My food budget has leaped to nearly $600/month since I've moved. I used to think Whole Foods was pricey but here there is none and the local 'co op' is way over priced! Part of the reason I've spent so much is because I've had to get new 'spices' and pantry stock items like bags of quinoia, rice, peas, beans etc... I have almost finished restocking the essentials so I think next month my budget will drop a bit.

Plus the CSA here starts in June so I hope that will help. Right now I go to the farmers market but it is pretty expensive (unless I wait till it is closing and ask around for last minuet deals). However the farmers market does give five dollars in 'market bucks' if you use a credit card or ebt card to buy food there.

Also if you are vegan you can get organic soy milk from WIC. It is tough to convince them you need soy if you are not in WA, OR or CA where it is common. I had to call my former WIC office and ask them to explain to the certifier at the office here how to look up the soy package and it took almost two hours in the office just to get it done! I prefer hemp or almond milk but I really need to cut back on our food budget so I signed up for WIC again.

Lastly COSTCO has some organic items for killer prices! It varies from store to store and you have to get a lot of one thing but if it's stuff you eat it's worth it in the end!

We let our Costco membership expire but dh and I have been discussing renewing. You may have clinched it.

#15 of 22 Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Before renewing walk through the store you will be going to and see what organic items they have. The one I used to live by just had organic milk and soy milk, organic cereal and chips. The one I live near now has tons of organic dry or packaged foods and at least two different fresh fruits and two different veggies each time I go there!

be good family...

#16 of 22 Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

Before renewing walk through the store you will be going to and see what organic items they have. The one I used to live by just had organic milk and soy milk, organic cereal and chips. The one I live near now has tons of organic dry or packaged foods and at least two different fresh fruits and two different veggies each time I go there!

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't considered the differences but, of course there is.

#17 of 22 Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM

I've found some printable organic coupons on Recyclebank. You have to earn enough points to print them, by doing things like watching videos or taking a quiz or pledging to recycle, things like that.

Any coupon you "buy" you could print twice.

Have you thought about a coupon-clipping service? I know its not printable, and there is a small cost involved, but I've found (at least for the things I've very brand loyal to) its the easiest way to get multiple coupons of things I actually buy.

I do most of my shopping at a traditional grocery store (Meijer), but I use a lot of the "$ off your next order" coupons that print for fresh produce. Sometimes you get coupons specifically for produce. Combined with the sales I normally manage to save 40-50% off full-price, and I don't buy too much "crap" from the middle of the store.

Jen - 29, part-time LDRP RN and Birth Consultant. DH - 33. Married since 2006. brokenheart.gif 3/09. DD 2010.  Expecting a surprise new one in May 2014!

#18 of 22 Old 06-02-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to check back here, sorry. I've tried a coupon clipping service before and got a lot of good coupons for less than $3. I need to try that again and maybe see if I can find some gluten free coupons too.

I love Meijer! I haven't been there in months though. It seems to save me a lot of $. Our local farmers market is open for the season and I've been buying there. It's not certified organic but it's better than the store produce imo.

I'll check out the organic deals site, thanks!

I too would love produce coupons.

We don't shop Whole Foods. It's an hr and a half from us and I can't justify the gas money.

I buy GF flours in bulk on Amazon. I should check out the organic section on there.

#19 of 22 Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM

fyi We order GF blanched almond flour in bulk and spend about $4.25/lb including tax and shipping. Of course, that's with a coupon code so it'd be more if I didn't have that.

I also stretch my almond flour with a little coconut flour, depending on the recipe.

#20 of 22 Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

I can't use coconut flour because my 6yo and I are allergic and my youngest has a nut allergy. Great price on your flours though!

Has anyone tried NutsOnline for ordering bulk flour?

#21 of 22 Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brees_Mama View Post

I can't use coconut flour because my 6yo and I are allergic and my youngest has a nut allergy. Great price on your flours though!

Has anyone tried NutsOnline for ordering bulk flour?

Sorry to hear about your allergies.

oooooohhh I've never ordered from NutsOnline but I like their prices and selection.

#22 of 22 Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Yeah, they have an excellent selection! I don't like that shipping depends on what you buy though; that could get expensive.

Tags
Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page