Kicked off Basic Health: Needing affordable private health insurance in WA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

We got kicked off of Basic Health and DSHS because of what I inherited after my dad's death.  We are currently enrolled in WA Health, but the premiums are over $400/mo, and we still need to add the girls to it!  We are both self employed and homeschooling our girls, which makes making money difficult.

I need to know if there are alternatives to WA Health.  I can't change those premiums by upping the deductible.  

If you use private insurance (not through your employer) what do you pay?  What advice can you give?  I would like to keep our own doctors, if we can.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#2 of 5 Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

If you are self employed can you join the BBB or small business chamber and see what type of insurance plans they offer?  Some times several small business can go in together on a plan.

Have you priced out a catastrophe plan only and called your DR's office the cash rate for office visits?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#3 of 5 Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you are both self-employed, have you looked into group insurance for your business?  I believe WA requires that two people obtain the insurance; it may be worth looking into.  There are also tax laws, that, if applicable to you, may make that option more appealing.

#4 of 5 Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

@zebra15  The BBB is a good idea.  I never thought about trying to find insurance for a business, I've always just assumed that it would be too expensive, since we are just ourselves with no employees.  Good place to start!

@Mulvah  Where would I start looking?  With the insurance companies?  I need to call them anyway and find out about plans with high deductibles.  

Right now I can put the girls on WA Health for not much more, I think, but these premiums are killing us.  We both have seasonal work, and January I made $270!  Aak!  I need to get myself out there to find more work.  In some ways it is freeing to be off subsidized insurance.  It has always been a stress for me to always be skimming the top of the income bracket.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 5 Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Call you local chamber of commerce, see if you can join-

Also call the BBB,  See what you need to do to get listed or approved with them

Call the 'small business bureau' or something like that, probably the chamber of commerce will have the proper name for your area, and again see what you need to do to join and get listed.

Many times just having the listing with the above is enough to join in on the 'group' plans.

Also if there are any professional associations for your line of work, start calling them to see if you can join etc.  The more places you are listed the better your chance.  ya know?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Tags
Finances , Frugality

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page